“Great for a short stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parkgate Road, Mollington, Chester CH1 6NN, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
“Great for a short stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had a lovely stay here for a few nights with my boyfriend in October. Room and facilities were all great and the staff were very friendly. My only niggle was the state of the hallway en route to our bedroom; the walls were scored and some of the door frames were chipped, probably from manoeuvring heavy trolleys around the corners. This was our first impression of the state of the hotel and as we made our way to our rooms, we were growing more concerned as to what would meet us on when we opened the door. But our fears were mislaid and the room was thankfully satisfactory. My advice to management would be to pay more attention to how guests perceive the the hotel on first impression and understand how this may influence a review such as this.

Room Tip: Try for ground level.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fintan G, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Neige

Thank you for your recent review and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found all the staff friendly. You will also be please to hear that we have a program of painting and decorating for the public areas which has already commenced.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Fintan Gavin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Myself and my partner booked this hotel for a short break away as it was described as a "4 star hotel and spa". Upon arriving in the car park I was shocked at how the hotel actually looked. Not what you expect for a spa hotel. Upon entering the hotel it seems quite warm & inviting but all that changed when we got upstairs to the corridor leading to our room. The temperature was a LOT colder & it was as if we had stepped back in time the decor was beyond dated & floors creaked. Our room was even colder as we stepped in so we contacted reception who were quick to assure us that it would heat up ASAP. The rooms are in dire need of updating. The bed was hard & the toiletries listed as part of whats included in the price were actually half used bottles of cheap shower gel and a shower cap. After going out for the evening we returned to find that the room was still as cold as it had been when we left, although the heating was on. We spent the night shivering in a hard bed & looked forward to a hot shower in the morning. You can imagine our frustration when the shower only gave out warm-ish water at best. The spa facilities at this hotel are laughable. Again very dated, the steam room? More like steam box. The jacuzzi? Full of grit at the bottom. Oh and there were no locks for the lockers but we were helpfully told to "take your belongings to the poolside, especially valuables". I mean, who wants to take all their clothes out to the pool while they have a swim?!!
Overall this is a horrendous hotel and should not be described as a 4 star spa hotel.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!
Dear Louise

Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay.

In relation to the heating I am sorry that this was an issue. We have just recently had new boilers installed at the hotel but I will speak to our maintenance team to see if there was a particular issue with the radiator in your room. Regarding the toiletries are not cheap products but are actually from quite a reputable company that supplies hotels. We do use the large bottles because as a company we are trying to do our bit for the environment by cutting out on packaging were possible.

The leisure area whilst not new is quite functional and fit for purpose and we have also just invested in £40,000 worth of new equipment in our gym. I am sorry that it was not to your liking and shall bring the issues you have raised to the attention of the leisure manager.

Fintan Gavin

Travelers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Wrexham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Recenlty stayed at this hotel for my wife's 70th. General overall impression is that the hotel is somewhat tired and needs money spending on it. However we had a nice stay with reception staff being so courteous and helpful. On our arrival we had in our room a nice bottle of FIZZ and a birthday cake...many thanks indeed. My wife really enjoyed her spa treatments. Male sauna out of action. Very good breakfast. Found it difficult to locate Hotel entrance especially at night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review and we are pleased that yourself and your wife enjoyed your stay on her birthday. We are pleased that you enjoyed the food and service and I will also pas your kind comments onto the spa team regarding your wife's treatments.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights as had a meeting in Chester and found the Mollington hotel great for access from the motorway and no parking charges. Clean spacious room with a great breakfast offering lots of choice. Staff very helpful getting me directions to my meeting and arranging a late night snack when I returned later than expected after a long day at work. Will definitely book again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Ringo

Thank you for your recent review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff were able to help in providing directions and organise food for you when you arrived back late.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Not really 4 Star! Our room still had single glazed windows, and the only form of heating was a portable electric heater! Apparently the warm air heating system wasn't working but no explanation was given during check in! The lift was also out of order for the duration of our stay. The spa & leisure facilities were nice, but a lot of the public were looking a little "tired". The service was good but hotel appeared to be somewhat under staffed!

Dear Jeff

Thank you for your recent review and we are glad you enjoyed the spa facilities and that you also found the service very good. My apologies for the maintenance issues you experienced and I will make sure that these have been resolved. We have also embarked on a redecoration program in the public areas and rooms you will be pleased to hear.

The next time you are visiting the area I would ask that you contact me directly and I shall ensure that you get an upgraded room.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My daughter and I had to bring our dog from out of town for an important appointment at the University of Liverpool Leahurst small animal hospital. We arrived late and the room was fine and bed comfortable. In the morning we found that no taxi company would pick us up for the 10 minute drive to the hospital because of the dog. After unsuccessfully trying three companies the front desk clerk (I didn't catch her name) offered to drive us herself but then realized she did not have her car that day. The manager of the hotel Cheryl immediately offered to drive us so that we wouldn't miss the appointment as it was getting late. This service is over and above what can be expected and it is something the hotel and its management should be very proud of.
Best, Andy, Katie and Dash

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andy

Thank you for your kind review and we hope that Dash is feeling better. All our staff do try to go out of their way to satisfy our guests needs and requirements and I am pleased that on this occasion Desi on the reception team and our conference and events manager Cheryl were able to help you when none of the taxi companies could. We are all very proud of our staff and their commitment to our guests and I will ensure your comments are passed on.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Arrived at hotel on Saturday after a great day Xmas shopping in the city,got to hotel around 6ish that was our first mistake the later you arrive the further you are from the bar,restaurant and reception.ask for a corkscrew when we arrived and I was walking back to reception 40mins later asking for it again I walked to reception cause the phone in the room didn't work.After a nights sleep in which I sweated til 3am(heating on) we woke at 8am freezing(heating off).my wife and I had showers to find out we had to hold the shower head ourselves no hairdryer in the room so another trip to reception (still no phone) who said they would send 1 up 40mins and dry hair later we went for another walk to reception to say we no longer wanted the hairdryer(it never turned up).But breakfast was good,l aired my views and complaints with reception and only got blank looks very poor I've stopped in Chester for many years now and this was the worst stay.stop at the abode,the queens or Grosvenor instead

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Marcus

Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced as we normally get quite favourable comments about the staff and service and my apologies that on this occasion your issues were not rectified immediately. I would ask that you contact me directly at the hotel so I may discuss this in more detail with you.

Fintan Gavin

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!