“Charming hotel, not too big, not too small, just right” 4 of 5 stars

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parkgate Road, Mollington, Chester CH1 6NN, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel, not too big, not too small, just right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 5 times now over a period of 8 years, the last trip being just this week (Feb 13). I've stayed with 'the girls', with my partner, with my baby and with a dog and I feel it ticks pretty much all the boxes. It strikes a lovely balance of being not too small that you feel you're being watched and tripping over people and yet not too big and corporate that it becomes soul less. The gardens are gorgeous and I love the courtyard style lay out, where everything revolves around the greenery in the middle. The spacious lounge is lovely, there is a fire, a pianist of a weekend and nice chilled music playing at other times. The pool and leisure facilities are really great, including steam room and sauna and the spa is adequate. The staff, particularly management who were always present are great. There are odd signs of wear and tear, (in our room this stay, a tiny bit of peeling wallpaper and a tired old dresser / tv cabinet), but it is catergorically NOT old delapidated, dirty and falling apart and who cares when looking out at a nice view as most rooms do have. The village of Mollington is very pretty and the lovely city of Chester is 5 minutes away by car. Nowhere is perfect on every level, the breakfast is good but the rest of the food quite basic (and not enough choice for veggies) but the only real criticism I would have is that my bed was certainly not the most comfortable with the pillows being decidedly hard and uncomfortable, (however I'm sure had I mentioned it to staff they would have replaced. Unlike a lot of people on here though, I'm not a moaner constantly looking for fault :-) I believe this hotel offers good value for money and is thoroughly charming.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Bangor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband paid a small fortune for my mum and I to spend a night on a spa weekend break here. I saw the damning reviews on this sight and was a little apprehensive before going, but was open minded due to the fact that you can't please everyone. We arrived and were welcomed into the Spa. Whilst it was pleasant. I truly would not stay here again for a "pamper break". I have stayed at several other hotels for such weekends and this, I'm afraid to say was not worth the money. Whilst the staff were chatty, It really felt that they were just going through the mill. My 25 minute massage was more like 15 and whilst enjoyable, I expected more. No conversation, unless it was initiated by me. Pedicure consisted of removing old polish and putting on a new colour. From previous reviews I'd expected the hotel to be a little worn so I'd asked for a room at the back of the hotel. Room was nice but such a shame to have to walk past the wear and tear along the way. Food was ok, nothing to write home about. To summarise, nice enough hotel if you get a cheap price, pool and leisure facilities good also. Won't be coming again...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Belper, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip. The hotel is a little tired, creaky floors, not well noise insulated.

However, the room I had was an upgrade. Old it may have been, but it was huge! A good size, comfy bed and a large TV.

The leisure facilities were excellent.

The restaurant was nice if not a little expensive and if the breakfast had been a buffet style then the hotel would ave gotten 4 stars in this review.

Room Tip: Nok an upgrade package.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

God ...where should I start ?!!
Booked a 4 star spa (mmmm) with intention of surprising a friend on his birthday.. checked in ok! Bar, asked for cocktails they didnt have any, ask for champagne they didnt have any, ask for a pint and they didnt have nor any vodka too :(! I end up offering myself to go the shop n get drinks for the bar as I was told they didn't have drinks delivered but wasn't their fault!( as if was my fault)!
The spa as they called was with lots of children jumping n screaming in the swimming pool , with no one at all supervising the area apart from a injured lady who couldn't get up of her chair ( bless her ).
Girl at reception a few times shouting over the phone with I presume customers!
The guy in bar couldn't make a cocktail cos he had no vodka (wrong) .
Breakfast even being one of the first to arrive wasn't hot was just warmish!
overall : is a misleading 4 star hotel I worked in 3 star hotels with a better service and with a better attitude (we don't have it but I will sort u something don't worry) unfortunately they are not like that but they should be !
I know times are hard and is all about saving money but if dont have u need to make it up , invent do something about it please don't just turn to the customer and say no because that's not good enough! Was a expensive 1 night with the hope was gona make it up to my friend and we all left the hotel very disappointed ( and was asked only after I paid the bill if I enjoyed my stay wich I replied: never mind !...
Far from 4 star hotel in service providing in stock control in supervising areas where they should be ! I would def not recommend or comeback again !
Every one was perfunctionary !!!
Saying all this there was one young girl of all the staff whom with professional guidance will go far!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have just returned from our weekend at the hotel. The hotel is not perfect, however we had a lovely time and for the money we paid the hotel was great value. Massive warm room, comfortable bed, lovely lounge area, many friendly staff, ideally situated for Chester, lots of hot water, great pool, lovely spa (recommend the massage!). If I had to point out negatives - it has to be said that areas of the hotel are tired some are weary!! In other words refurb is required - however all in all it remains a great value for money hotel, so we made the most of it!! Special thanks in particular to 2 very pleasant members Andy (bar staff) and Christina (restaurant/bar staff). Thanks to other staff who are doing their best in what is a very competitive market.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rothwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

we stopped at this hotel in January 2012 as we had been to another in this chain for new year and had an offer on we liked the hotel so booked for new years two night including new years eve the hotel is very nice the food was very nice my wife unfortunate was ill with the bug and passed out at dinner on the 1st night and ambulance was called the hotel staff where very good as we had order the main course but we cancelled the food while the ambulance men arrived and checked my wife over over an hour later we did mange to sit down and eat the staff where excellent the food was excellent my wife decided not to go to the function on new years eve and they took food up to the room overall we had a good break and looking a re-booking for next new year eve.
Tthe manager was very helpful over the 2 days of out staff

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here recently for a night and it was rubbish!! We turned up and thought we initially were in the wrong place as the front of the hotel does not reflect the pictures. Its old, shabby and looks like a school!! When we got in, the lounge area we found was quite nice. But the rooms... well, the heating in our room did not work and other guests were also complaining about the heating. Instead to compensate we were given a little heater. Then on the way out of our rooms, we found the door did not lock!!

So we got a member of staff to look at it, they had no idea what they were doing, but were trying their best. They tried to get hold of 'management' but no luck. We were on our way out for the evening, but did not want to leave with all our stuff in a room that was open for anyone to walk in. But all the double rooms of the hotel that night were fully booked so no other rooms were available and they could not fix the door. Spoke to 'manager' who had no clue of what to do when we complained. He even said 'well what do you want me to do'. In the end we got offered to move to a different room which was a single room that they managed to turn into a double by pushing two single beds together. Trying to sort this out wasted close to an hour of our time.

The leisure centre was not good! The showers in the changing rooms were terrible and the steam room was tiny. One sauna was out of order. The managers shouting at the staff in front of guests of the hotel, not professional. Avoid!!! On a positive note though, we got a 50% refund and some free drinks. But we would have much preferred that nice break away we were expecting in the first place. Will not be returning!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!