“Out of town” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in La Defense
Port Orchard, Washington
“Out of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel was clean. Had an excellent free breakfast. The bar was nice every night. It's out of central Paris but the metro is so close and easy to use. The staff was very polite and helpful; and, spoke English.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From the arrival to the departure, there was nothing to like about this hotel.
Hot air no cool air.
A toilet in a closet that was made for an elf.
Overpriced meals .
The worst service in their bar area.
Check in and out was very good however the deposit of 300 Eoros per night for incidentals was ludicrous.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

BENARD C, Directeur général at Novotel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor . I appreciate the time you took to share the problems you encountered during your stay.
Please allow me to say how sorry I am that these issues affected your satisfaction during your stay in my hotel.
Please be assured, that I will do my utmost to provide an appropriate follow up to your comments
I do hope that, despite these issues, we will be able to welcome you again as a client of Novotel
Best reagards
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Another business hotel in La Defense that my employer has selected for meetings in the area: super-convenient location for that purpose, enhanced by the proximity to the subway station.

The impression on arrival is decidedly unglamorous, bordering on drab. The building, although well maintained, is past its prime. The lobby's decoration and materials are obviously low-cost, and don't invite to linger. This being said, service upon check-in is efficient, and the staff is friendly and competent: a first hint that the content may be better than the packaging.

The rooms are of a good size but of a spartan appearance, furnished with no-nonsense light wood and thinly carpeted. Those facing the river enjoy a full view that considerably lightens the mood. Once settled in, my experience over several stays has been consistently postitive. The beds may not be stylish but they are comfortable; the rooms are quiet and well insulated; the bathrooms are well designed with excellent water supply; wifi access is trouble-free. Service, when requested, is prompt and efficient. To my own surprise, the hotel made me feel quite at home after a couple of days.

Novotel La Defense under-promises, but it over-delivers.

Room Tip: Go for river view
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
BENARD C, Directeur général at Novotel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear customers
Thank you for not judging our hotel just by its external appearance.
Our building is indeed the 1980s but the hotel was renovated in its entirety since;
Customer service is the heart of our business and we are delighted to read that you have a good stay
Hope to see you again at the Novotel Paris La Défense
Best Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

hotel is very clean we stayed for 6 nights, and it was nice, the rooms are clean, location is near the metro station, and beside a good shopping mall.
breakfast is very basic and have good varieties ..i might go again there :)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
BENARD C, Directeur général at Novotel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest

Thank you very much fo your positive review on tripadvisor
We hope to be able to welcome you again at Novotel Paris la Défense
Best regard
The Manager
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited this hotel during Christmas holiday. Stayed 7 nights and just returned.

This was my first time in Europe. I researched on several hotels, locations, etc before selecting this hotel. I selected this hotel for two reasons: the price, and the four star rating. It was considerably more inexpensive to stay here, than in the city center.

The good: only a short 12-15 minute metro stop to city center. The staff is very helpful and even met me at the bar, and went to the backroom to the ice machine to get me some ice after hours. I requested additional hangers and they were delivered. Very attentive staff. One morning they even called Disney and tried to secure dining reservations for us.

The family room is good as the couch pulls out into two smaller twin size beds. Perfect for a family with two children so they each have their own "bed."

Very short walk to metro. (3-5 minutes). There are approx 40 steps you must take down from the side walk to get to the main entrance to the hotel. This did not prevent us from taking the RER and Metro to the hotel from CDG. (long train ride from airport, approx 1 hour with some changes with stairs. Keep that into consideration. You must make either one or two transfers to get to the hotel).

When you leave the hotel there is an escalator up the same steps, however the escalator only goes one way. (up)

RER/Metro to Disney approx 1 hour.
Metro into town approx 4 stops (12-15 easy minutes).

There is a shopping center/mall approx 15 minute walk (or one metro ride) away. There is a good variety of restaurants, shops, and even a McDonalds and Chipotle.

The bathroom is divided with a small toilet room, and then a separate room with sink and bath. The bath is challenging to get out of. It is a TALL step out of the bath onto the bath floor. The water always got hot quickly. They provided a shower gel, and a shampoo/conditioner combination.

The challenges of staying here: Yes, you are not "IN" the city. I actually see this as a bonus, as our friends stayed in city center, and their hotel was on a street, with more noise. We had very little noise issues.

We were on the tenth floor and paid for a city view room. Would I do that again? Perhaps no. One small window with sheetrock surrounding entire window. I do not feel that it was worth the extra money at all.

INTERNET: Consistent and easy to log into. You just had to renew every 24 hours to gain free access. We did not pay for the "upgraded" quicker service. The basic free one suited our needs just fine, and was a welcome way to stay in touch back home.

ROOM SIZE: Here is where the expectations come in. Based on my research all hotel rooms are smaller vs. here in the United States. I knew what to expect, although with the pull out couch, there was minimal, if any, walking room. But just know that going in. We used the room to sleep not to hang out. But the room being small for 7 nights, 4 people...you get the idea. If you are a US citizen, think comparable to a La Quinta.

BED: The main size bed was a full sized. We expected that, as that is what we had booked. It is on the firm side. Not what I prefer, but at the end of walking all day in the city, I hardly noticed and was quickly asleep.

SMOKING: People in Paris smoke much more freely, and I believe, more often than here in the United States. They say this hotel is a non-smoking hotel, and our tenth floor we did not have issues. In the elevator there are floors labeled "non smoking", so I assume there are smoking floors? Not sure. This was not an issue for us until we stepped outside the hotel doors, where there was always a gathering of people, no matter what time of day or night, and the smoke was overwhelming at times. We just quickly moved on and went about our day.

I would stay here again, but not pay for a city view. The elevator moved very quickly and the tenth floor was a good spot for us. Staff good. I booked with a package through an online vacation site.

I hope this is helpful. :)

Room Tip: We stayed on 10th floor. Elevators worked quickly and efficiently.
Green Features: You can opt to have towels and sheets cleaned daily, or not to.
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our hotel Novotel Paris la Défense and for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor and for sharing details about your positive experience
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and i hope to be able to welcome you again very soon .
Regarding your question on non-smoking floors, I can confirm that all floors are non-smoking
This indication will be displayed in our elevators during the 1st half of 2015
Best regards
The mananger
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014

I have stayed both at the IBIS and the Novotel. For the additional premium, better room and additional facilities the Novotel about justifies the additional premium. The room and bed is better than the IBIS so if you are staying more than overnight it is worth considering. The Gym factilities do exist which is a plus but very small and basic with 3 machines. Breakfast buffet is ok and range is what you expect from a full service hotel but memorable. Bar area is small and really for a last drink at night and not somewhere really to relax. Overall the lasting impression is that it is ok and reasonable value for La Defense but it is not somewhere I look forward to with any anticipation. If I am there for one night I take the IBIS and save the travel budget

Room Tip: Facing the river is a good option
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and either I overlooked items the first time or things have slipped since my last visit. I am rating this establishment as average but this is a generous and favorable rating. There are not many redeeming qualities with the property. The location is really the only reason to stay at this property. It is close to the metro, La Defense, and higher floors facing the city will have views of the Eiffel tower. I am a loyal Accor member being a Platinum status, and this property is woefully behind other Novotels in their treatment of loyal Accor members. I was provided a room upgrade which is pretty much standard practice for Accor members with a Platinum status. The room provided, while having views of the city was pretty basic other than this. If this was upgraded, not sure that I want to know what the standard room looks like. Customer Service is instrumental to a good stay and this property could make great strides toward improvement. I have personally written to the property to outline where I think it could improve, given that is now 5 days later without a reply or comment to the email speaks volumes about how the property is managed. I intentionally have held back to write this review hoping that management would at least recognize my email which would at least signal that they recognize that they have areas for improvement. The fact they haven't again tells me a lot. I will not go into all the areas where it could improve. I will just echo a previous comment about general odor in the hallways is correct, room decor is dated, customer service could improve, breakfast chaotic (granted I stayed on a busy weekend in all fairness to the hotel), parking and egress to the property painful. I will personally choose another Accor property or another hotel before I would come back. Given its location the property could be great but needs a lot to get there.

Room Tip: higher floor facing the city
Dear Sir
We indeed thank you for your review . As per your knowledge we have exchanged with you directly by e mail . Since then we apologize again for the delay of our answer .
All the points you mentioned to help us to improve our level of service have been taken into considaration .
We truly hope to welcome you again in our property soon with my best regards
The manager

Been to Novotel Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!