“Far from major attractions” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense

You added Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense to your Saves list
Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Jardin de Valmy, Boulevard Circulaire, Sortie 7, 92918 La Defense, France   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in La Defense
King City, Canada
“Far from major attractions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this hotel while traveling with Trafalgar tours. The hotel is very far from all attractions. I believe that it is the last pit stop when taking the subway. There is a big shopping mall right beside it.

Plus: Spacious rooms, good customer service, luxury guaranteed, near shopping center

Minus: Small breakfasts, far from most attractions, not the best option for tourists

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ali N, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Alex N,
We thank you for choosing the Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel for your stay in Paris. We are really sorry that the location did not quite meet your expectations, however please note that the hotel is located only 10 minutes away from the Champs Elysees Avenue by metro and is close to the most visited Commercial Center in France. the area is well served by public transport, subway, trains, tramway, and bus.
We are happy to see that you enjoyed the rooms and the staff service. Your feedback is very important to us, and we thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
Pplease feel free to contact us back may you need further assistance.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
NY, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for 5 nights, Monday through Friday. Even at 7am on a Monday, the traffic from CDG airport was a mess. The taxi ride lasted 80 minutes and cost 65 euros. Fortunately, Ina at Reception checked us in early so that we could shower after our redeye flight.

Chose this hotel because it was a 5 minute walk from where hubby had meetings. Previously stayed in Porte Maillot which had more of a neighborhood feel but required a Metro ride to get to La Defense.

Pros:
- Rooms are well-sized. Ours faced KPMG and the Grand Arche
- Mini fridge (not as cold, but at least we had one).
- tea and coffee maker with supplies and lots of cups and mugs (in closet)
- iron and full size ironing board
- ice bucket; ice machine on 2nd and 9th floor (check hotel directory of services located in desk drawer for location) - this was a huge plus since European hotels rarely have both a mini fridge and ice machines
- great soaps and toiletries from Tokyo Milk - fresh tangerine scent
- very good ventilation in rooms. In the winter, many hotels shut off the air conditioner in the rooms. Here you can choose between heat or cool air.
- Great hotel gym with lockers, sauna, towels and lots of different exercise equipment - accessible with room keycard 24 hrs a day.
- Free newspapers in the Reception area.

Cons
- Wifi costs 20 euros per day. You can access the free public wifi in the main reception lobby or Grand Arche sitting area. Connection was not reliable.
- For security reasons, guests insert their keycard into a slot on the left hand side of the elevator car. Wait until the light is green, then press your floor number. The backlighting in the elevator cabs make it hard to see the floor numbers on the panel.
- Convenient to have a separate entry on the Grand Arche level (RD) but the guard will just sit and watch you fumble with your bags looking for your key card to enter the hotel. Is it necessary to keep that door locked during the daylight especially if there is a guard on duty? I know they aren't doormen, so either leave the door unlocked or have them open the doors remotely. Some of the guards are nice and will get up from their chair to open the door.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dushi-NY,

Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, and the detailed description about your experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and the facilities of our property. We also noticed your feedback about the Grande Arche level entrance, our Loss Prevention team is aware about your comments, and has taken immediate actions to avoid any inconvenience in the future, Security remains a high priority for us and for Marriott in general, and the access to the hotel is strictly controlled to maintain safety and security for our guests and associates.
I remain at your disposal may you need further assistance.
Kind regards,
U.S.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our second stay at the Renaissance La defense and I must say the 2006 visit was far better then or recent stay. The only positive comment I have is they let us check in early and thats were the helpfulness ends.

After checking in I realized the room was considerably smaller then our last visit which I attribute to the fact that I used credit card rewards points to pay for the room. I also notice the bed was a queen and not a king. and although we were there in November our room was very warm and did not have a function air conditioner and the window could only be partially opened.

I brought these issues to the attention of the manager Lara who told me "there really isn't that much of a difference between a king and a queen size bed". as far as the temp of our room I was told its winter and the hotel is warm. after that exchanged I realized it was going to be an unpleasant stay.

We missed breakfast had were to early for lunch so we went to the bar and ordered appetizers when it arrived my wife realized the fish was raw and couldn't eat it. we were then very politely told that we would still have to pay for it, after a discussion that didn't happen.

In closing I would say pick a different hotel in 2006 it was excellent this time average at best.

Oh and be prepared to walk a maze if you prefer the stairs over the elevator that after you find the hidden doors. and one last thing I had to pay for in room internet but if i sat in the bar it was free. And even if your a rewards member dont expect a break on the internet cost.

Room Tip: Dont take room 524 unless you want a great view of construction and trash
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Ali N, Manager at Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Sir,
I would like to thank you for your loyalty and for choosing the Renaissance Paris La Defense again for your Parisian trip.
It appears from your feedback that there were a few challenges during your stay. I truly apologize for the inconveniences encountered, and I assure you that the concerns mentioned, some of them were already resolved, and follow up is done with the team. We strive to offer the best experience to all of our guests.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us

Ali Nassila
Director of Rooms Operations
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for 4 nights in business.

Received a pleasant welcome and efficient checkin.

The room was clean, spacious, well appointed with led tv, iron etc and had quiet air conditioning. Unfortunately the bed was "tiered" and the springs stuck into you back slightly, duvet and pillow was comfortable but not apparently hypoallergenic.

Given the location in the business area was unhappy to pay extra for wifi in the room. But free (slow) wifi is available in the public areas / bar.

The meeting rooms in the hotel were ok and had wifi, but not enough tables / chairs were put out and the coffee machine wasn't working properly. Conference area staff were not particularly helpful.

Main restaurant served nice food and bread rolls, (the meat was cooked rarer than you get in the uk) service was again polite and made good recommendations for wine. Breakfast service was similar with a good choice of hot and cold food in a buffet style.

Not the best hotel I've stayed in, but generally good and received reasonable customer service.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Ali N, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Roger N,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us such a detailed and constructive feedback, this is very helpful to us in order to improve the quality of service we offer our guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I have already met the appropriate managers to make sure this will not happen again.
I have shared your nice comments about the good service you received with the entire team.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and to offer you the exceptional service you expect at a Renaissance hotel.
Yours sincerely,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

La Defense is a great are if you are a business traveller but not the ideal for tourist. I knew this was out a bit from central Paris and had researched before going so knew what to expect. We got this really cheap as it was weekend but still not worth the money. Finding the hotel was an absolute nightmare, the location is terrible and not sign posted at all. We hired a car and refused entry to hotel car park as it was full, this was after been stuck on the ramp for a long period of time and repeatedly pressing the help buzzer. We then had to find an alternative nearby car park. We finally got to the hotel and the receptionist then tried to charge a large amount to a credit card as a deposit. I had no cards on me and my partner was away trying to sort the car parking issue. She then reluctantly said she could waiver it but was very rude.

Good points
The entrance looks nice/okay.
There is a nice plaza outside with various shops and shopping centre
The metro is nearby but need to make sure you go out the correct side of hotel
Buffet breakfast has average selection
The rooms are a decent size for Parisian standards

Bad Points
The rooms are extremely dated and old fashioned. Need of a major freshening up.
Sockets hanging off wall and wires exposed which is dangerous
Wifi is terrible
The service at the hotel was not good and most employees were bad mannered.
I ordered an omelette at breakfast and after waiting about 20-30 mins (very few people in restaurant), it finally came after prompting the waitress and it was severely undercooked and runny. Disgusting and not edible.
Customers hanging around the entrance/exit doors smoking and no designated area for these people.
We used the hotel car park the second night and after getting in and parked we could not find our way out. There was no signs and we ended up on various corridors/stairways trying to find a door to hotel. This was a nightmare as my four year old was sleeping and having to be carried while we were lost.

Would not recommend if you are a tourist. Plenty of other better value hotels in this area or more central.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ali N, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear HotelsGaloreee,
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Paris La Defense for your Parisian stay in August 2014.
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed and constructive feedback, which will allow us to improve the quality of service we would like to offer our guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you did encounter during your stay.
I have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team, and since August we have already reviewed some of your points.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and convince you with the exceptional service you expect at the Renaissance Paris La Defense.
Yours sincerely,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice USA style hotel in a business plaza with a shopping mall. If, you are looking for an area with a variety of family owned restaurants this is not the place to stay and this is not the place to stay, if you want to walk around in the evening. It,s scary coming up from the metro. There are lots of young people loitering under the arch at La Defense and coming up from the undergoing reminds me of one of those chase movies were I,m isolated, alone and I could be the victim. I would rather deal with the pick pockets and the tourist.

• Stayed April 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

Located at la defence, the newest part of Paris this is a wonderful hotel for business, great reception comfortable acomodar ions, all perfect! Also with a bar and restaurant on it, That serves topical fresh food, you need to visit this place!

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Paris Hotel La Defense? Share your experiences!