“2nd time was NOT a charm” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Paris La Defense

Save Saved
You added Hilton Paris La Defense to your Saves list
Hilton Paris La Defense
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 place de la Defense | Le CNIT - BP 210, 92053 La Defense, France   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in La Defense
Portsmouth, Virginia
“2nd time was NOT a charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

K folks, here's the deal. If I stay somewhere and the sercice isn't so great I will stay again to see if it improves, unless it is so bad that I just couldn't (Like the Days Inn in Lexington...Do NOT stay there!). So the same holds true for hotels I enjoyed to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Well Hilton La Defense turned out to be less impressive the second time.

Let's start with the positives. It's still in a great place wirh the Metro, Quarter Temps across street (complete with grocery store great if your frugal like me), fantastic sights like the Grand Arch and the Thumb, and very easy access to downtown Paris.

It also still had very clean and modern rooms in the great CNIT building.

Ok so what went wrong. Well first up is the price. Last time I stayed I paid just a little less than $400 per night, but for some reason this time it went up so now it's not in US perdiem rates. :-( Normally I wouldn't mind too much as I can and will make up the difference if it's worth it, but this time they socked it to me on internet as well (20 EU per day!). I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when I pay $420 a night for a hotel room I kind of expect the wifi to be included. Now if that wasn't bad enough, I REALLY hate paying for something that doesn't perform...the wifi was SLOW.

I noticed some issues with the accoutrements as well. For some reason they installed the towel holder in front of the sink making it difficult to reach the faucet without leaning way over. The toilet didn't flush well and wasn't equipped with standard dual flush for solids and liquids. The iron was crusty (bad for business meeting).

The gym was well stocked last time, but not this time. I asked and they said it was a promo. ??

The piece d'resistance was the bill at checkout. Remember I like to go to the grocery store? Well there is literally 6 square inches available for you to use in the fridge. Apparently if you disturb, bump, maneuver the pay-for contents in any way, it shows up on your bill...and they don't double verify you even took it with housekeeping! I also had a room service on my charge for breakfast which is why I went to the grocer in the first place! I am convinced if I hadn't have looked and complained they would have gladly kept the added unjustified charges.

I would have given the staff a 5 star vote except for one major bumble (besides the bill) and that was at leaving. I take the train in and out, and for an early flight the clerk opened the door to CNIT knowing that after I took all my bags up and down 4 flights of escalators that weren't on, that I would have to haul them all back because the gate to the Metro into the CNIT was still closed! And he did it to the other guy who left right behind me :-/.

Bottom line...for 5 star money I EXPECT 5 star all around, and so should you. I will be back in September, and hopefully they personnaly try to remedy the situation otherwise I recommed you look elsewhere. I'll keep you posted!

• Stayed March 2013
H0tel_Manager_13, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Seahawksman,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor website. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel.

Indeed, I have well noted your comment regarding our internet service. Our hotel works with a third party internet provider which is currently working on solving issues.
With regard to the fees, please note that we do regular checks with competition and that we are within the average of rates proposed. Kindly note also that internet is offered to our guests in the lobby, the bar and the restaurant.

Further to your feedback regarding the fitness centre, in addition to apples, we used to propose sirops. It seems that our guests did not particularly enjoy this so we stopped offering them. Please note that there is a water cooler installed in the fitness centre.

With regard to the final bill, as my colleagues informed you the minibar is automatic and sensitive, so if items are moved they will be posted to the bill. In order to avoid any mistake, our reception team systematically show the invoice to our guests at check out to make sure that all charges are correct. In case of any error, charges are taken off the bill. For your information, we have recently started a new procedure in order to take off any incorrect charges before our guests check out.

Seahawksman, I understand that you will visit us again in September. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance or information.

gerald.vanreck@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It took me a while to find the entrance to this hotel as I approached it through the shopping centre but once I'd booked in and settled into my room, the location was really quite inspirational. My room looked down on the central courtyard of a shopping centre and it was fascinating to see people milling about in all directions as well as being able to appreciate some stunning modern architectural amphitheatrical-style offices and shop buildings.

The hotel staff were very friendly, the breakfast was fine although nothing special and the room was modern and well designed.

The area around the hotel is fascinating and the monument itself is stunning. I was fortunate to visit the 35th floor of one of the offices nearby for a meeting and the view across Paris was breathtaking.

This is a modern, clean, friendly and impressively designed hotel.

Room Tip: I'd prefer inward facing into the shopping centre - architecturally impressive
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear FlyngScpn,

I want to thank you for your kind comments following your recent visit in our hotel. I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay and that our service and location were to your convenience.

FlyngScpn, I look forward to welcoming you back very soon should you require accommodation here.

TORONTO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Overall enjoyed the stay,clean well appointed hotel, with easy access to underground metro line A and RER...reception very freindly and welcoming. Next to a big shopping mall which is a big advantage.
One major problem is the toilet FLUSH TANK.. very frequently doesn't flush when you press the flush button...very annoying when it breaks in the middle of the night and you have to keep the waste till next morning till someone has to come and fix it..this happened almost every day and one day the flush tank broke twice..i called the front desk and they were very helpfull to send someone to fix it in a matter of couple minutes ( after 9 am when the technician starts his shift).
Breakfast buffet is super..never tasted a croissant as delicious as that offered by Hilton la Defense

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Amek63,

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us despite the unfortunate experience you faced with the bathroom facility.

Rest assured that we take all possible measures to ensure this situation does not re-occur.
Amek63, we look forward to welcoming you back here when you next require accommodation in town.

Yours sincerely,

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were here for a large conference in the attached buildings for convenience it couldn't be beat. But the surroundings were a disappointment as there were few places to eat in the evening outside of a few chain restaurants. The hotel itself has an excellent restAurant but very expensive. Because we were a 20€ cab ride outside of the city it felt isolated in the evening. The rooms were well equipped and clean with great amenities and the daily breakfast well worth the costs.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Bklynlarkhi2012,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.
It is particularly pleasing to note that your impression of our hotel was good.
We look forward to welcoming you back for a future event in Paris.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Hilton again delivers a high quality hotel...although it seems that many taxi drivers do not know how to reach the hotel, once there, one can enjoy the peacefulness of the room and high quality food from the restaurant. Would definitely recommend for business and pleasure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
H0tel_Manager_13, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Patricia2010_5,

Thank you very much for your comments on this website. I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests.

Patricia2010_5, all of the team look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hilton York very soon.

Sofia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

After spending almost a week in another Hilton - in Prague - I was expecting a lot more from the Hilton Paris La Defence. My deception is coming from two aspects - the hotel looks worn off, old, it is smelly and lacks the usual feeling of a Hilton. The second is the staff. When I arrived, I wasn't upgraded, as I got usual for my Gold status. Then my room, even being a non-smoking one, was smelling cigarettes as hell. I complained and they changed it to a clean looking one, but once again, old and used. On the positive side I will note a nice breakfast and a working Internet connection. The metro station for Line 1 is pretty close, which makes life easier if you want to go downtown.
My general recommendation is to avoid this hotel unless you have business in La Defence. There are many other, much better looking options in Boulogne and Neuilly-sur-Seine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Milko G,

I would like to thank you for adding a post on the Trip Advisor site following your visit.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel. Indeed, we always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. Despite our recent room refurbishment, I understand that they were not to your convenience.

I hope that you will not be deterred from returning to the Hilton Paris La Défense and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel for a 2 day business trip. The hotel itself is ideally located in the business area, Le Grande Arche is literally a 1 min walk.

The rooms were of a decent standard, although when I arrived there was no iron in the room. A quick call and this was rectified however the ironing board was terrible. I know this sounds petty, but such things matter on a business trip when you want your shirts looking right.

The hotel itself is very expensive, even with the company paying it's hard to justify the cost. The WiFi again at 20 EURO is very expensive, it's something you expect to be included at a hotel in this price range (it is free in public areas with a code). I would consider the bar and restaurant again expensive (10 EURO for a 500ml beer), as was room service - but then it is Paris so it is only slightly more than the standard prices.

Check-in was very easy and everyone spoke excellent English. The breakfast was also very good with a good selection of items available.

I would consider staying again, simply for the location to our offices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear sh33n,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay in our property.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to your convenience. I have already taken note that the ironing board in your room was not in a good condition for which I sincerely apologise.

Rest assured that this has been discussed with our Front of House Manager in order to take corrective actions.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again.

gerald.vanreck@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!