“Good location and Excellent Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Paris La Defense

Save Saved
You added Hilton Paris La Defense to your Saves list
Hilton Paris La Defense
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 place de la Defense | Le CNIT - BP 210, 92053 La Defense, France   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in La Defense
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Good location and Excellent Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just a few things about this hotel kept me from giving it 5 dots.

The expense vs what you get is one. Even though this was a business trip and I wasn't paying, I think it's important to note this. The room was comparable to other Hiltons I've stayed in at a third the cost, but it didn't come with the usual complimentaries like coupon for breakfast, and social hour benifits. Keep in mind that this hotel is not actually in Paris so it's shouldn't be demanding tourist rates. This hotel is in La Defence which is a business district across the river from Paris. It is only one stop on the train from the Arch of Triumph and Champs Elysee though.

I'm not sure if it's a building code thing or what, but the vents in the bathroom hum intermittently all the time. It kind of sounds like a train groaning sound but far away. It isn't unbearable though, just a little distracting.

The TV channels were not intended with the world traveller in mind. about 4 channels were in english and they were all news channels. So if you like watching news to "unwind" after walking all over Paris this is it! ;) Alos there was absolutely no channel guide or anything in English to let you know where to turn to if you don't speak French. They should add a chanel guide and an option for English TV, especially since the discounted rate was almost $400 per night.

The refrigerator is full of stuff for you to buy and is electronically monitored. If you bump it it records a purchase so be careful! There is a 6x6 inch square spot for your own items. So if you're like me and don't want to pay $5 for a water, and you go to the grocery store to pick up a few things, keep in mind that you don't have any room for it. I was able to lay a liter bottle of milk in there and had to settle for warm drinks because I could remove their items without being charged. :(

The last negative before I get to the positives was the toilet. It sounded like it was gonna break off the wall when I sat on it, and the seat had a sharp lip on it that hurt. For reference I am not a large person (about 170 lbs) so I can only imagine how uncomfortable this would be for larger people.

To be fair I need to discuss the great positives that gave this an overall positive rating.

The room was immaculatly clean!

The gym was very well equipped and had drinks and fruit too! It also had his and her bathrooms which is great because you don't want to have to return to your room in the middle of a workout.

The Beds and pillows were excellent!

Despite the channel selection, the TV was a large flatscreen which is nice.

Even though it isn't located in Paris, it is located in a huge shopping district. There is a 4 story gigantic mall called Quatre Temps just a minute walk away wich has lots of decent restaurants and tons of shopping. DO NOT SHOP on Champs Elysee unless you have money to burn! Shop here instead! There is a huge square where tons of things are going on all day, lots of picture-worthy stuff too like the Grand Arch La Defence and a giant thumb. ?? It is also a primary stop for several trains which btw is how you should travel in Paris. Buy an all zones pass for up to 5 days at a time and every bus, tram, and train is available to you. There is a very comprehensive public transportation system here so use it!

I saved the best for last. The staff is second to none! They all were very helpful and spent as much time as I needed without trying to hurry me away from the counter like you get in a lot of hotels. This staff actually engaged in conversation and was knowledgable to direct me to the things I needed. They helped every day and there was always plenty of staff at the counter. They were so good in fact, that this staff is going to be my new standard of reference to compare others to! Top notch! I should mention that they all spoke some english and most of them were very good at it. Well done!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Seahawksman,

Thank you for your positive comments. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations. It was particularly pleasing to see that your impression of our staff and service was good.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Stephane.mercier@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Paris is like a second home and I usually stay at the Arc D'Triomphe location. However, when I had to come to Paris for a business trip I stayed in La Defense. Ever since then, this has been my choice. The staff is friendly and courteous and access to Quatre Temps and the CNIT ensures that anything needed for a trip is readily available. I am leaving for Paris on Friday and I'm looking forward to falling into the luxurious King bed in my Relaxation Room!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear uscsonggirl,

I would like to thank you for posting your comments on the Trip Advisor website.

It is particularly pleasing to see that your impression of our staff is good and that you feel well taken care of while you are with us.

Thank you again for your loyalty!

Stavanger
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Overall this is a classical Hilton hotel, with standard rooms and standard Hilton way of appearing.
Location is fine even if your in Paris for sightseeing, however you need an extra 10mins to get into the most central area of the city.

Staying at Hilton paying way more than alternative hotels I expect a lot, and this hotel does not live up to my expectations. Paying an extra of €52 for breakfast (2people), we certainly expect to be offered coffee or tea without having to seek the attention of the personnel. This seemed to be difficult, as 2 out of 3 breakfasts were like this, one of them we did not succeed in getting some at all.

We arrived at night with the RER and struggled to find the hotel. 40 min of walking around, and we finally found it. The description attached to our reservation only mentioned how to get there by car. Make sure you prepare prior to your stay.

The reception staff did not use energy in welcoming their guests, and even when actively seeking their attention they did not respond. Maybe we were not dressed properly to be worth it? It could be reqiured to wear a suite to be noticed at this hotel? At check out we had to wait for 10mins to finally pay our extras.

We stayed in the 4th floor, and in the 5th floor the conference rooms are located. Early in the mornings this noise of chairs being dragged around waked us up. Mini-bar prices, eg. Coke at €6, are stiff but as expected. However, again you would expect the overall service level to be high, in order to accept these kind of tariffs.

Finally, at the saturday evening there was a show outside at the Grand Arche. We were not informed about this event at all, which was disappointing for two reasons. First this limited the access to the hotel, and forced us to use at least 15 more min to access the hotel, probably more when including the queue time. Second, it would be fun to know about this free show, so that we could take part in it.

Room Tip: Stay off 4th floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear wgjedrem,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Paris.
It is with regret that I take note that your experience at our property was not to your expectations, for which I sincerely apologise. Indeed, at all times, we strive to exceed Guest expectations.

I have well noted your comments regarding our service, particularly at breakfast and at the reception. Your remarks will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

As we would like to redeem ourselves, we do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Oak Park, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton La Defense for three nights with my husband and daughter in September 2012. The accommodations were spacious, modern, and comfortable. We had two queen beds and room to spread out.

As others have pointed out, this property is located inside the CNIT mall with direct access from a Metro, RER, SCNF train station - so it is excellent for public transportation. Accessing the property during the day is no problem, but when the mall closes at night, it's a bit trickier and less convenient. If exiting the Metro or RER, one must exit the station and go up and around the building to the front entrance - not really a problem except that without the daytime crowds, the area feels deserted and a little less safe.

Our room rate did not include breakfast, but we found a pastry/coffee stand inside the train station and ate with the locals. If heading to Versailles, the SCNF train is right there and the trip takes only 20 minutes. The front desk staff was helpful in arranging dinner reservations and suggestions for touring.

If you don't mind being a couple of RER stops away from the city center, this is a good option and recommended without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear tkttoride,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your visit. We thrive on our guests' satisfaction and your comments are a great encouragement to the Team here at the Hilton Paris La Défense.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next require accommodation in town.

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is the third visit I have made to this hotel in the last 12 months. It offers a good and easy location for Central Paris an easy ride on the Metro Line 1 to all the major attractions and if like I was you are in the City for a Fair at Parc des Expositions and they offer a courtesy bus from Porte Maillot then also a great location. The satff are very helpful and friendly in all areas. As an Honors member I had the opportunity to take breakfast which is of a a really excellent standard. One small critiscism. The waiting staff need to be more attentive. On 2 out of three mornings I had to get up and get the attention of the staff to obtain coffee. Otherwise the the breaklfast is self service so no problem

The rooms are generously sized and if you can get a relaxation room they are wonderful

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anybody and I look forward to returning again in the New Year.

Room Tip: If you can get a relaxation room they are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear rickwood50,

I would like to thank you for your kind comments following your third stay in our hotel.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our newly refurbished rooms and that our team made it pleasant. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback

With regard to your comment on our breakfast service, rest assured that this will be brought to our F&B Manager’s attention.

Dear rickwood50, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Paris La Défense very soon.

france
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is based in La Defense, a business district, attached to a mall, so nothing romantic. But it is very convenient to quickly reach Paris, and very close to shops, restaurants and cinema.
Rooms are very noisy, only separated by a thin wall. Expect to hear conversations, toilet flushs and more ... That was a major disappointment
Probably a good place for family. As a matter of fact, most of the customers are family with young children.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sharmelsheil,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We were sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel due to any noise disturbance encountered in your room.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations. Indeed, our Reception team would have been pleased to find an alternative solution and offer you a quieter room.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I booked this Hilton vs Hiton Arc de Triomphe to save money. It's away from the city centre, but the metro station downstairs took very little time to get us pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. The room and bathroom are spacious. The room is a little too dark and can be depressing. The mall view outside the is lovely during the day, but a little weird at night when no body is in it. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant is a little over-priced for the food they serve. Being located in a business area has its drawback. I can't find a restaurant on Sunday. On weekdays, i have to walk 30 minutes to a decent restaurant. Interestingly, there is a cinema in the dome building across from the square with some cares and quick-byte places downstairs, almost like a food court. Overall, it's a good valued hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear XiaLosangeles,

I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your visit and that our team met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when you next require accommodation in town.

Yours sincerely,

Stephane.mercier@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!