“Great location and rates for weekends” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in La Defense
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Great location and rates for weekends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Good business hotel. From the valet parking guy to the reception staff (sorry front desk ladies, the gentleman were much friendlier), all knowing their business, all speaking English very well. Nothing really special, no wows, just good.

Best thing is they offer affordable weekend rates for an almost silent location you will not find elsewhere in Paris (or you take the Pullman Hotel in the same area). Don't let the distance from Paris to this location put you off. It is easier to reach by car and the subway is really close. Direct connections to the most wanted metro stations in town. Affordable dinner options can be find close to the hotel (like Vapiano). Great supermarket (Auchan) nearby. Breakfast (on sunday) might be a bit of a problem since all eateries cater for business people will open not before 10:00 AM. We took the subway to the Marais with plenty affordable 'boulangeries'.

Room size is ok and beds are comfortable (soft deck on the mattress available if ask for it). All our preferences (Accor membership) were met except we received a room on a smoking floor (did not smell anything). We booked a superior room (one above standard) because you can open a window. You can make the room completely dark (pull the plugs from the tv set). Minibar prices are just unreasonably high (so take your own). But WIFI was for free. No bath in this room. Maybe a bit disappointing for a five star, but if gives space to a decent shower.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert M, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear KeesE,

First of all, thank you for having stayed with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor !

It is a pleasure to see that you have enjoyed your time here, please be ensured that the men at the reception where proud to be more friendly than the ladies !

Regarding the minibar prices you are talking about, we are now working an a new system, new products and rates. This will be available very soon.

I hope I have the pleasure to meeting in the near future "at home".

Albert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here when we ran Paris marathon in April. Its a little out of the way for central Paris but right next to metro line 1 in a business district. The hotel itself was great - really comfortable rooms, decent bath (perfect post marathon!), good service all round. There's a large shopping centre and a few restaurants near by although things are a little quiet in the evening. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear "ntravellerUk",

I would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel during your Parisian stay and for taking of your time to share your feelings.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that I have the pleasure to welcoming you personaly next year for the Marathon ! D-334 ...

Luxbg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Well ok... La defense is not exactly the place of all happenings... but this hotel is a glass / concrete tower sitting a top of a huge underground labyrint made of underpasses, Parkings,
constructions and other undefined locations...
It is already challenging to find the right entry to get there as you could spin for hours around
through one-way lanes with no stopping possibility.
The hotel is just as the outside : dull, dark, lacking any kind of interest or "ambiance"
While the prices are quite high the service is almost non-existant (no one to be found anywhere).
Rooms are OK... if you like the kind of cold "Design" stuff....
Further you are totally isolated in a funny area of suburban Paris....

I guess this hotel was meant for Business trips wher you check in late night and are gone early morning leaving the bill to your company....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Okrased,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel and for your comments on Tripadvisor.

I would like to apologise, as I understand that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

I understand that La Défense could be impressive when arriving by car. Next time, please do not hesitate to call us, we will be glad to help you finding the good direction. Regarding the hotel atmosphere you describe ("dull, dark, lacking any kind of interest"), this is your personal opinion but however, I don't share it, like many other people who have left so many comments on this website. La Défense architecture is different of what you could see in downtown Paris, for sure. But if you take time to discover it, it's really enjoying and interesting !

I feel very concerned and surprised about your remark concerning our service ("no one to be found anywhere") ... could you please contact me at your convenience to talk about this point ?

I hope I get the pleasure to hearing from you very soon and stay at your disposal for any other information needed.

Gurgaon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed at Sofitel Paris La Defense for one night in April. Since i was traveling for business and had meeting in and near La Defense; the hotel location was perfect. Although there is nothing much to do in the evening post office hours. The hotel is a decent one and the staff was very helpful and courteous. The room quality was super and the bed in particular was very comfortable. Gym was a bit too small and a disappointment for the hotel of this quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Atane007,

Thank you for having stayed with us, and for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to receive good comments about our hotel, they contribute to keep our teams motivated !

I wish I have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon in our property,

Planet Earth Wannabe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Convenient hotel for a business trip. Right in the heart of La Defense...5 mins walk from most offices and the metro. Helpful very friendly staff. Clean with simplicity. Not the right hotel if you are alone with touristy things to do and want to venture out to city center since its very far from anything.

Dear SuzyPoo,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for you last Parisian trip, and for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It's true that the hotel is ideally located in the heart of La Défense business district and few minutes walking distance from most of the offices. However, we have the pleasure to welcome people coming for leisure, as the hotel is just in front of the metro station (10 mn away from the Champs Elysées avenue on line 1).

Please to not hesitate to contact me directly shold you plan to return visting us, I would be very glad to tell alla the possibility you have to enjoy our beautiful city !

Farnham Common, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Feels like a flagship hotel for Sofitel in La Defense and you cannot fault the fantastic food and really great service ( albeit at stratospheric prices...).

My problem was the magnetic swipe room key which seems to fail regularly. I've stayed there twice in the last month and my room key failed two or three times on each occasion - which required me each time to go back to the reception desk, join the queue behind people checking in/out, to get the key replaced. The first stay I thought it might be something I was doing but I now realise it happens so often the Reception team has a predfined procedure for this (asking whether your mobile phone demagnetised the key, checking your identity, issuing a new key etc) so I think they have a technology failure with the room keys.

I made this complaint multiple times to the reception desk staff but just got (elegantly) shrugged shoulders (maybe a different reaction from the PR/management via Trip Advisor ?).

Is it too much to ask for a room key that works reliably from a hotel positioning itself at this level ? At those prices, I don't think so ...

Room Tip: Check your room key works !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Mr Lavelle,

First of all, thank you for having chosen our hotel for your Parisian stay, and for the review posted on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the issues you have met with your room key. As there is a magnetic band on it, it is true that we recommend not to put it near a mobile phone or anything metallic. Getting a procedure in case of issue is just quite normal. Checking your identity for your safety, giving a new key for your comfort and trying to avoid the problem ... This is the minimum a guest could expect from a 5* hotel.

In your review, you explain that our Front Office team "shrugged shoulders", this attitude is really unusual from our team, and I wuold be glad if you could contact me in order to get a more precised feeling about that.

I stay at your entire disposal, and look forward to meeting you in the future.

Guest Relations Manager
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

For a Sofitel Hotel in a major international city and the rates charged, this was quite a let down. Given the rate I was being charged, I expected much much more. I know this is Paris, whereby accommodation is typically some of the most expensive in the world, but this hotel offers poor value for money. Whilst the rooms are fresh, clean and quiet, they are quite 'circumspect' and bland. Fairly small too, with no bath in the standard room.

The location was ideal for me (my office was a 2min walk across the esplanade), and the Metro is also just 2mins away to get yourself into downtown Paris within 15 mins, but a very limited choice of bars and cafes in the area. Given its in a modern business location, if you are on a couple's holiday or family getaway - I'd give this location and hotel a wide berth, as it is miles from downtown Paris and has no atmosphere whatsoever. But for my (business) purposes it suited me well.

Some of the pricing was tantamount to extortion, so unless your employer is happy to wear the very high costs - also give it a miss. (I think 13.50 Euros / $18USD for a jar of M&Ms out of the mini bar is a sick joke, or the 27 Euro - ($35USD) for a cold continental breakfast is farcical.)

The hotel is quite claustrophobic in the lobby area and restaurant, and really certainly does not have a 5-star Sofitel ambience about it.

PROS - 2min walk to Metro; quiet location and quiet rooms; good friendly, professional service; very comfy bed and pillows.

CONS - Room are very expensive, even by Paris standards; food (room service and restaurant) very expensive; dirty smelly underground entrance (by car/cab) - very underwhelming.

Room Tip: All rooms very similiar in terms of location, noise and layout
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I am disappointed to learn you had a less than satisfactory stay with us. Please rest assured that all your comments were taken very seriously. We always welcome receiving feedback as it helps us improve the quality of our services.

I hope for the chance to welcome you back to show you the service that our guests rave about, the true Sofitel experience.

Guillaume Barthelemy
Guest relations
h0912-gr@sofitel.com

Been to Sofitel Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!