“Nice Hotel in La Defense” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #2 of 38 hotels in La Defense
Gurgaon
“Nice Hotel in La Defense”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed at Sofitel Paris La Defense for one night in April. Since i was traveling for business and had meeting in and near La Defense; the hotel location was perfect. Although there is nothing much to do in the evening post office hours. The hotel is a decent one and the staff was very helpful and courteous. The room quality was super and the bed in particular was very comfortable. Gym was a bit too small and a disappointment for the hotel of this quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Atane007,

Thank you for having stayed with us, and for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to receive good comments about our hotel, they contribute to keep our teams motivated !

I wish I have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon in our property,

Albert MEAR

905 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
Planet Earth Wannabe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Convenient hotel for a business trip. Right in the heart of La Defense...5 mins walk from most offices and the metro. Helpful very friendly staff. Clean with simplicity. Not the right hotel if you are alone with touristy things to do and want to venture out to city center since its very far from anything.

Dear SuzyPoo,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for you last Parisian trip, and for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It's true that the hotel is ideally located in the heart of La Défense business district and few minutes walking distance from most of the offices. However, we have the pleasure to welcome people coming for leisure, as the hotel is just in front of the metro station (10 mn away from the Champs Elysées avenue on line 1).

Please to not hesitate to contact me directly shold you plan to return visting us, I would be very glad to tell alla the possibility you have to enjoy our beautiful city !

Albert
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Feels like a flagship hotel for Sofitel in La Defense and you cannot fault the fantastic food and really great service ( albeit at stratospheric prices...).

My problem was the magnetic swipe room key which seems to fail regularly. I've stayed there twice in the last month and my room key failed two or three times on each occasion - which required me each time to go back to the reception desk, join the queue behind people checking in/out, to get the key replaced. The first stay I thought it might be something I was doing but I now realise it happens so often the Reception team has a predfined procedure for this (asking whether your mobile phone demagnetised the key, checking your identity, issuing a new key etc) so I think they have a technology failure with the room keys.

I made this complaint multiple times to the reception desk staff but just got (elegantly) shrugged shoulders (maybe a different reaction from the PR/management via Trip Advisor ?).

Is it too much to ask for a room key that works reliably from a hotel positioning itself at this level ? At those prices, I don't think so ...

Room Tip: Check your room key works !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Mr Lavelle,

First of all, thank you for having chosen our hotel for your Parisian stay, and for the review posted on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the issues you have met with your room key. As there is a magnetic band on it, it is true that we recommend not to put it near a mobile phone or anything metallic. Getting a procedure in case of issue is just quite normal. Checking your identity for your safety, giving a new key for your comfort and trying to avoid the problem ... This is the minimum a guest could expect from a 5* hotel.

In your review, you explain that our Front Office team "shrugged shoulders", this attitude is really unusual from our team, and I wuold be glad if you could contact me in order to get a more precised feeling about that.

I stay at your entire disposal, and look forward to meeting you in the future.

Albert MEAR
Guest Relations Manager
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

For a Sofitel Hotel in a major international city and the rates charged, this was quite a let down. Given the rate I was being charged, I expected much much more. I know this is Paris, whereby accommodation is typically some of the most expensive in the world, but this hotel offers poor value for money. Whilst the rooms are fresh, clean and quiet, they are quite 'circumspect' and bland. Fairly small too, with no bath in the standard room.

The location was ideal for me (my office was a 2min walk across the esplanade), and the Metro is also just 2mins away to get yourself into downtown Paris within 15 mins, but a very limited choice of bars and cafes in the area. Given its in a modern business location, if you are on a couple's holiday or family getaway - I'd give this location and hotel a wide berth, as it is miles from downtown Paris and has no atmosphere whatsoever. But for my (business) purposes it suited me well.

Some of the pricing was tantamount to extortion, so unless your employer is happy to wear the very high costs - also give it a miss. (I think 13.50 Euros / $18USD for a jar of M&Ms out of the mini bar is a sick joke, or the 27 Euro - ($35USD) for a cold continental breakfast is farcical.)

The hotel is quite claustrophobic in the lobby area and restaurant, and really certainly does not have a 5-star Sofitel ambience about it.

PROS - 2min walk to Metro; quiet location and quiet rooms; good friendly, professional service; very comfy bed and pillows.

CONS - Room are very expensive, even by Paris standards; food (room service and restaurant) very expensive; dirty smelly underground entrance (by car/cab) - very underwhelming.

Room Tip: All rooms very similiar in terms of location, noise and layout
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I am disappointed to learn you had a less than satisfactory stay with us. Please rest assured that all your comments were taken very seriously. We always welcome receiving feedback as it helps us improve the quality of our services.

I hope for the chance to welcome you back to show you the service that our guests rave about, the true Sofitel experience.

Guillaume Barthelemy
Guest relations
h0912-gr@sofitel.com
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We like the location because although its away from the main sights the Metro is only 2 minutes away and its quite easy to get to anywhere you like. There is a large shopping mall in the la defense area next to the Grand Arch and it has got everything you need from a big variety of shops, Restaurants, Bakeries, cafes, Pharmacy and a popular fast food chain.

I like the large space you get outside the hotel and all the way to the shopping mall, where you can relax and have something to eat. We didnt have good weather, still we were able to do quite a lot because everything is available within walking distance or just a few stops on the Metro.

The hotel was good. Comfortable and relaxing with very friendly and helpful staff. The only issue we had was the rooms became too hot at night and we couldnt control the temperature. This improved later on so we didnt complain but same thing happened on the 02nd and 03rd night which was annoying so didnt sleep that well although the beds were very comfortable. We also noticed the hotel was fully booked so we had to remind a few times for the room to be cleaned and the bathroom didnt seem that clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Washington State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

While this is a perfectly acceptable place to stay in Paris, we did not feel that the Sofitel Paris, La Defense lived up to our expectations. The hotel is often billed as a 5 star hotel and I do not feel it earns this rating. We upgraded to a junior suite and I still feel that this hotel only meets the requirement of a 4 star hotel, even at the junior suite level. Upgrades include amentities that are often standard in a 4 star hotel, even in Paris. If you come to Paris expecting any kind of a view (even standard city view) you will be disappointed. Also, I am not happy that a shopping bag with newly purchased cosmetics will not be returned to me after I left it on the bottom shelf in the bathroom. Upon calling the hotel, I was told it was not found, but there is no other place it could have been. I would have happily had these small items mailed to me at my own expense but it appears that the cleaning staff or other hotel staff either threw them out, though they were clearly in a shopping bag (not a trash bag or a rubbish can) or took them for personal use. The dishonesty exhibited by this incident will be one reason I will not be recommending this property.

Room Tip: Always pay for an upgrade if offered.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write. I am sorry to hear your stay with us was unsatisfactory.

Our housekeeping team works diligently to upkeep our guestrooms. It is certainly not up to the luxury standards of the cleaning staff to mistakenly throw a shopping bag out with items still inside. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused. We genuinely strive to provide exceptional service and ensure that our guests are completely satisfied. Please rest assured that your comments were taken very seriously and that a thorough investigation has taken place in order to prevent any future occurrences.

We wish for the opportunity to welcome you back again to experience true Sofitel luxury.

Guillaume Barthelemy
Guest relations
h0912-gr@sofitel.com
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a very good hotel to stay at while visiting Paris. What kept it from being 5 stars for me was the view, the price, and the bed. The views go from a view of a small park with apartments around it or a view of the building next door. The price was higher than we usually pay and to get a bathtub they charge 50.00 US dollars a day more. Very very nice bathtub and bathroom. The mattress in our room was old. It had sinkholes where heavier patrons had slept. There was a nice feather topper on the mattress but no topper was going to fix the mattress problem. Best part was the STAFF wonderful people from the room maid to the desk staff. Polite, helpful, eager to please. We will try this hotel again most likely if it's not too expensive. We are in Paris twice a year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Been to Sofitel Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!