“Disgusting and moldy...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mary Rose Inn

You added Mary Rose Inn to your Saves list
Mary Rose Inn
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   36 - 50 High Street, St Mary Cray, Orpington BR5 3NJ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Orpington B&B and Inns
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
“Disgusting and moldy...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Was on a business trip and stayed a few days longer, so decided to stay on the outskirts of London. While I was expecting quaint, we got disgusting and rundown. The towels were the only thing clean. Look at pictures that other users have posted and not the professional ones, as they more accurately show how the place is. It took forever to have someone deliver a blow dryer, when it stated one is in every room. When I was looking for it, I found some old batteries rolling around inside a drawer. The mattresses were miserably uncomfortable and the smell of the whole place was horrendous. I speak English, as I'm an American, but the woman at the front desk treated us like we were both deaf and dumb, repeating herself and speaking very loudly. She barely looked up at us when we checked in. The courtyard was loud at night until all hours. I did not let this place tarnish the wonderful experience I had while visiting London, but wanted to possibly spare someone else any misery I can. Worst hotel experience ever....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked this through late rooms.com, but unfortunately we didn't read the reviews. We wish we had as they are almost all correct. If the health & safety people ever get in there, it will be closed down immediately, or at least it should be. You have to walk through the filthy kitchen to get to an even dirtier 'dining room'. I've never seen such a filthy place. The only decent thing about the bedroom was that the linen was clean. The room was damp & filthy. The hotel is directly under the railway arches (when you can eventually find it) and the large neon sign advertising (non existent) Caribbean food, was directly outside our bedroom window, and was illuminated all night. i cannot believe that places like this are allowed to remain open in country.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Buxton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I would NOT recommend stopping at this hotel . After looking at four different rooms that were filthy dirty, I settled on the fourth after I insisted that they cleaned it again, which was done by someone that wasn't actually the cleaner.

He asked me if I could give him 'FIVE MINUTES' to clean the room!! To get the room up to acceptable hotel standards would've taken five days.. let alone five minutes!!
If I'd of had the choice I would've booked out there and then.
I asked for a refund but was told they couldn't do anything until the manager arrived at 9.00am the following morning, but as I was visiting Brands Hatch, I couldn't wait around until that time.

I'd booked a full English breakfast and went down at 7.25am to be told that the cook hadn't arrived yet, (breakfast is 7.00am - 10.00am) whereas the man in reception then went off to cook my breakfast! So not only did he do reception, but he was the cook and handyman aswell! Basil Fawlty has nothing on this bunch of dirty amateurs!

How on earth this hotel is still open I have no Idea! The Environmental Health would have a field day there!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I booked through Last minute.com. It offers a cheap rate, and I booked an Executive Room, this description is a joke. The room was run down, dirty (the net curtains were not grey they were black and the curtains were filthy). There were stains over the furniture, the bathroom was shoddy. There was even a friend in the room in case I wanted company (a spider as big as my hand).
There are other guest houses and good value small hotels and inns around the Bexley area, go to one of those, but make sure the web site shows you the rooms.
I literally ran out if this hotel in disgust having arrived late at night and had to find another hotel quickly.

Room Tip: Do not go here
Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had booked a room here through an agend for Saturday night. We had a wedding reception in the area. We arrived at about 6.30pm and couldn't find the car park (I don't actually think there is one). We rounded the corner to be greeted by a group of about 10 14ish year olds just throwing bricks across the road towards houses and cars. Another chap was swaying on the corner of the road. It all looked a bit unsavoury. My husband who was driving has a rather nice car and certainly didn't want to leave his in the area with the possibility of one of the bricks going through the window. Obviously I will lose my money but would rather that than risk damage to us or the car. Shame I didn't read the reviews before booking. When we arrived at the reception a few people who live nearby said if we'd told them where we were booking they would have told us not to stay there as it's an awful place. Reading the reviews they're not wrong and we made the right decision.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Horwich, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

this hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed, it was disgusting, filthy, and nothing worked in the room the kettle was broken as was the wardrobe not that I would have used it,there was no hot water and the shower was broken the curtains were hanging off and were filthy as were the window sills and the paint work had finger prints all over .we were at a family reunion and it was to late to find somewhere else but my husband and I never slept there we stayed with family, but of course we had to pay up front, the place should be closed down and the photos are nothing as to what its like. We were with family over from Australia and it was very embarrassing to let them see such a dump.

Room Tip: don't go to Mary Rose Orpington
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Crewe, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is beyond a joke my partner and I stayed there after traveling back from Italy so we got there for 11pm I was glad to get there that feeling did not last long. Anything I have read is true about this so called hotel but I would like to add in the bathroom bin I found a used CATHETER in the bin I will say that again a use CATHETER we felt sick. I showed the cardboard cut out of a manger the used CATHETER and she said oh it should not be there. One good thing I will always win that worse hotel game you play with friends if you don't what to win that game KEEP AWAY FROM THE MARY ROSE

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mary Rose Inn? Share your experiences!