“5* Birthday treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rockliffe Hall

You added Rockliffe Hall to your Saves list
Rockliffe Hall
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hurworth-On-Tees | County Durham, Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington DL2 2DU, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
uk
“5* Birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

From arrival to check our stay at Rockliffe was superb. We stayed in a junior suite and when we got into our room there was a birthday card and petis four waiting for me, a lovely subtle touch! It was faultless. Huge bed, lovely patio looking on to the golf course. Bath tub with tv on the wall, huge shower. All facilities, iron, hairdryer, tea coffee making. The spa was lovely and relaxing although we had no actual treatments as I myself am not a big spa fan, the hydrotherapy pool and heat rooms were more than enough for me and we enjoyed a couple of hours in there. Love how the hotel is so quiet everywhere you go.
We were originally booked in the Orangery to eat but I really struggled to find anything on the menu I would eat, I am not one for trying anything that is in my opinion 'out of the norm' so pigeon, duck and pigs cheeks really didn't appeal to me and this was sorted out very politely and professionally by email in the days before our stay. The lovely lady we dealt with made a point of coming over to speak with us after we'd eaten and there was no issue at all with us changing bookings and eating in The Brasserie. Our food was served quickly and pleasantly and we enjoyed what we had. Again with discretion one of the waitresses came to us and said "I believe it's a special birthday" and gave me a lovely glass plate with Happy birthday wrote in white chocolate with fresh fruit dotted around, It was a lovely touch.
We then went down to the cocktail bar and enjoyed a few drinks. The staff were all so lovely, so friendly and most of all very approachable which made us feel at ease.
Next morning we went back into the spa for a while before going for breakfast in The Orangery. This was without a doubt the best breakfast we have ever seen, so much choice of such good food and yet again amazing staff.
Check out was smooth and we came away feeling genuinely over the moon with our stay. We will definitely be back, and although I said I'm not a big fan of spa's, the new outdoor extension due to open in Autumn really looks appealing, I may well be won over. Thank you Rockliffe for giving myself and my Husband a fantastic stay and for a classy end to my birthday celebrations!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Hexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Fabulous as always. This is a luxurious hotel with best spa facilities I have been to. Soon to be improved with outdoor heated pool and spa. Orangery taster menus wonderful but what a labour of love the dishes must be to create! We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Old hall ground floor rooms are the best to stay in compared to those on the first floor. Extra dres...
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We started with lunch in the Brasserie; the food was truly excellent (Carpaccio of beef starter followed by a king prawn, chorizo, and sun-dried tomato salad.) We then spent the rest of the afternoon swimming, lounging, and enjoying hydro-therapy. Many thanks for a great experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was a two night spa for for a bunch of ladies. I had never heard of Rockliffe Hall, and therefore had no preconceptions. In reality, it was wonderful - the rooms, the building the spa and treatments, but mostly the staff. Engaged, friendly and helpful, the lot of them. We didn't eat in the Orangery, but the Brasserie was wonderful. The food is much fancier than brasserie food - its been Michelin-ed more than necessary - but it is very delicious. Very. And good value too.

We stayed in the Rowan wing. I thought I had stayed in some fancy hotels, but this is probably the biggest, fanciest room I've ever been in. There was nothing average about it. And the bed was incredibly comfortable, which always helps.

I'm sorry this is so glowing. It sounds fakey. But I would come back here like a shot.

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Rockliffe Hall is definitely worth a visit. We visited for a Sunday Driver as a party of 4 men in late April 2015 and everything worked pretty seamlessly for us, from check in, to golf buggies to restaurant booking. The golf is relaxed and never seamed overcrowded, although the mixed parties in front on the Monday did slow us down a lot. The clubhouse bar menu was lacking the standard club sandwich, but the evening meal in the clubhouse restaurant was excellent, although the Sunday menu is not the same as the one we were shown at reception when choosing which restaurant to eat in. The outboor furniture at the clubhouse was great and it was a pity it was a little breezy to enjoy a beer in the sun. We will perhaps try the Brasserie next time. The New Hall Junior Suites are very comfortable and spacious rooms, although "suite" is perhaps a bit of an ambitious title. We had two rooms with twin beds on the ground floor with doors opening on to a terrace. All of the staff were very polite and couldn't be more helpful. Breakfast was served in the orangery and I can recommend the eggs benedict.

Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

First time staying at Rockliffe Hall as part of a one night package including dinner with my husband. Overall the hotel was an amazing place with beautiful decor throughout all public areas and immaculately kept grounds. The staff were incredibly attentive - a level I have never experienced! Every little detail had been thought of & nothing was too much trouble. The room was spacious & comfortable with lots of features & beautiful views over the grounds & golf course. One or two areas were showing slight signs of wear & tear which given its star rating I find unacceptable. The one major issue was that the bathroom had a TV built into the wall which we were quite excited about. We returned from our fabulous mystery taster menu with wine pairing dinner I ran a bath planning to relax & watch TV but unfortunately the TV didn't work. We rang reception & a member of staff arrived promptly but could not rectify the problem. He left saying he would try to relocate us & get back to us. 35 minutes later reception rang to say they were fully booked - it was well after midnight by now & we had been kept waiting all this time. This put a negative end on our evening but we understood unforeseen things can occur. Every other aspect of our stay was fantastic & we enjoyed our time very much including breakfast in the orangery, pre dinner cocktails in the cocktail bar & our evening meal also in the orangery which I have already mentioned.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just back from a fantastic weekend at the Rockcliff! This place is stunning and something else! We booked in for the taster menu which was just an amazing experience, the food was out off this world! The staff throughout the hotel could not have done enough for us. I had a beautiful day in the spa on Saturday, and have to say it was just perfect! Left this hotel feeling so relaxed! Just cant wait for the next time, if your looking for something special with abit off luxury then this is the place, thank you!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!