“Afternoon tea.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Save Saved
You added Rockliffe Hall to your Saves list
Rockliffe Hall
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hurworth-On-Tees | County Durham, Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington DL2 2DU, England   |
England
“Afternoon tea.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked afternoon tea with our friends for a nice relaxing treat. We were not disappointed. We sat on some big lovely sofas by the window overlooking the golf course. The waitress who came to serve us was very attentive and our pot of tea arrived promptly. We were asked if we had any special dietary requirements which none of us had. Our finger sandwiches came with a variety of fillings and we had a little piece of sausage roll each which was delicious. The scones are very tasty with the clotted cream and jam. There was a good selection of cakes/desserts all beautifully presented. The waitress came and checked on us again and brought us some more fresh tea.

1,034 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were a group of 6 females on a hen weekend, we stayed in the lodges which was ideal for us being a group we could all be together. The rooms were all clean & freshly decorated & the lodge was equipped with everything we needed. The Spa was a good experience and we ate in the Orangery, the food was amazing and the view whilst eating just makes it perfect! The only downfall to this weekend was the receptionist mis informed us, she told us that our lodge would be serviced and we would get fresh towels and our beds would be turned down after we returned from our meal, this didnt happen so we were a little bit disappointed because we werent expecting this till she had told us. We enjoyed some nice cocktails in the cocktail lounge and the staff were lovely! all i will say is with a 5* hotel comes 5* prices (£16 a cocktail!).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Firstly I would just like to say I have never met such attentive hotel staff before, they made the stay great for us.

After staying at the shambles that was the 5* (apparently) Celtic Manor in Newport last month I was a little dubious about being taken to another 5* golf and spa resort.

I am so glad my fiance took me to Rockcliffe Hall for a spa weekend. It was perfect from the moment we stepped through the doors until the very end of our stay.

We arrived at mid day as our massages were at 2pm, the receptionist still checked us in explained the room was not ready yet, which wasn't a problem as we were allowed full use of the spa before our treatments.

The spa is great and staff there are very friendly too, they provided us with a welcome drink and gave us a tour of the facilities.

Afterwards we were shown up to our room and the staff member was friendly and very helpful. Our room (Number 20) was beautiful and very clean with a great view. A couple of times I called to have an ice bucket and drinks delivered which all arrived very quickly by a yet another polite staff member.

Dinner at the Brasserie was delicious and we returned to our room to find the maid had been to turn down the bed, freshen the tea tray and tidy up the room. I was a bit worried as I wasn't told they would do this or request it and left my hand bag with money in, mobile, lap top and kindle lying around. Nothing was missing though and I relaxed again.

We arrived quite early for breakfast but once again we were greeted by polite friendly staff and the food on offer was great.

We enjoyed our little weekend away so much we are already planning our next visit to Rockcliffe.

durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Have been for several Spa days but this was our 1st stay in the accomodation and we were travelling as a birthday treat. We booked a standard tiplady lodge room which was both large, spotless, modern and luxourius. We were on the ground floor but I would advise a 1st floor room as you can here lots of noise (walking around, flushing toilets) from the room above. We called to the Spa for a couple of hours but it was very busy and not very relaxing. We booked an evening meal in the Brasserie having eaten there before and having really enjoyed it. My husband had a cheese Souffle starter £7.95, I chose steak at £32 inc sauce which i thought was a tad expensive, a lamb shank for the hubbie and 2 puddings, a bottle wine and £100 bill later we weren't very impressed. We have defintley had better food for less money, No steak knife was given to either myself or the people on the neighbouring table so you were left sawing through your food which i expected to melt in my mouth but it didn't. A good nights sleep followed by a lovely breakfast in the Orangey. Staff as usual were impeccable, helpful and professional. Would return but maybe dine in the Golf Club or travel the short distance to Darlington.

County Durham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are regular visitors and in the past I have had no hesitation in rating this outstanding hotel as 5 stars. The main reason for our visit this time was to experience the improvements resulting from the recent Orangery Restaurant refurbishment.
General - The hotel itself and the Spa in particular was busy to the point of being uncomfortable. There was no room in the spa to sit or to hang robes. It was evident that there were a lot of day visitors.
Orangery Restaurant - We always choose the Taster Menu with Wine Pairing, a reasonably pricey option but one which has always felt 'special'. We were taken into the restaurant a little later than our booking time at around 9:20pm. Our first surprise was that the menu we were given in our welcome pack on arrival at the hotel ('current menus enclosed') was entirely different from the actual menu in the Orangery.
The decor was refreshed but I would not say there was any noticeable improvement from a customer point of view.
On our previous visits I would estimate the capacity of tables filled at any one time to be between 50% and 75%. However, on this visit there were more tables, and the restaurant was 100% full. I am sure this delights the hotel management but not sure they will understand the effect on service from a customer perspective. What has disappeared as a result is the attention to detail. This may sound trivial but in Rockliffe of old there was no way your glass was left empty or you had to struggle to get the staff's attention. Usually when our Taster courses arrived staff had the time to explain what you were getting but now it is rushed and the 'special' has disappeared.
A lot of guests looked bored just sitting waiting on courses to arrive, service was slower and even at 11pm the Restaurant was still around 90% full.
What I cannot fault is the quality of the food or the willingness and attitude of the staff. Without exception they were all trying to do the best they could but as regular guests we could feel the pressure they were under.
It took us a lot of searching to find what I would consider is the best hotel in the North East so I am sad to see it losing it's edge. We will visit again in the hope that these are just teething problems following the refurbishment but if there is no improvement we may have to start our search again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Absolutely out of this world service from staff in every area.stunning rooms ans beuatiful interior decor. Look of building doesnt do inside justice...very comfy beds. Food was lovely and staff cannot do enough ..

• Stayed February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to Rockcliffe hall on a few occasions for lunch, meeting friends, and also to a talk, but until today had never used their spa facilities. I've always enjoyed time spent at Rockcliffe. The food is delicious, you always feel very looked after, and it is in wonderful surroundings.
Today I had a completely new experience at Rockcliffe Hall in the spa. It was a wonderful, experience, and there were many different areas you could relax in. The swimming pool was large and warm,there were steam rooms, a sauna, and an amazing hydro pool amongst other things.
After a wonderful lunch I returned to the Spa, and had various treatments which were very relaxing. If going with close family or friends I would recommend the mud treatment. it was great. The staff were very helpful and I did feel looked after..
Although I can't comment on the rooms as I haven't stayed at Rockcliffe, I can definitely recommend the spa and the restaurant , and I will certainly return for more spa days in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!