“Birthday visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rockliffe Hall

You added Rockliffe Hall to your Saves list
Rockliffe Hall
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hurworth-On-Tees | County Durham, Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington DL2 2DU, England   |
Durham, United Kingdom
“Birthday visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed one night in a Tiplady room. The room was lovely but after we'd been in it for about half an hour the lights went off. We reported it to reception and our room was changed without any fuss within five minutes.
We purchased spa passes for the day at £30 each, arrived at 10.30am and had a lovely day in the spa then lunch at the Brasserie. Lunch was nice although I'd suggest that a five star hotel shouldn't run out of several choices by 1.30pm so the menu was limited. We had dinner at the clubhouse which is a short walk from the hotel. The was a lot of snow around but the hotel offered a car to take us there and picked us up when we were ready. Dinner was very nice, the menu is good value however we were overcharged for a bottle of wine, £38 instead of £25, this was rectifed when we pointed it out.

Had a cocktail in the bar after dinner, a little prcey but the surroundings and serivce made it worth the price.

Next morning on the way to the bathroom I stood on a shard of glass which must have been dropped by a previous guest. My foot had a tiny cut and did bleed for a while but I reported the incident to reception and took them the offending piece of glass and they were very apologetic and completed an accident report form.

Breakfast was in the Orangery and was really good. Lovely ingredients and hot coffee, couldn't fault it.

All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

just enjoyed our third visit to rockcliffe hall with my daughter and mum,stayed in the armstrong apartments as this sleeps 3 people,the apartment is gorgeous,very comfortable,my mum particularly enjoys the tv integrated into the tile in the bathroom.Food in the brasserie is delicous,would highly recommend this place for luxury and a bit of pampering.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hartlepool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just enjoyed our third stay at Rockcliffe.
This time around our room was a superior twin in the New Hall. There were wonderful views of the golf course and counrtyside. The room was large with two queen beds and was decorated in a more contemporary style. There are tea and coffee facilities.
My favourite rooms are the suites in the old hall where the decor is more traditional luxury.
We enjoyed dinner in the Brasserie were the service is friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed.
The spa , as ever , was second to none.
Rockcliffe is a beautiful hotel. You'll love the history of the building, the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness. The spa is superbly equiped and is large enough to accomodate all of the guests.
Breakfast in the Orangery is one of my favourite meals. Beautifully cooked local produce and again friendly staff creating a relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet and well appointed but if you appreciate traditional luxury book a suite...
newcastle upon tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Recently had a spa day with my daughter, fabulous spa, great facilities, clean dressing rooms, pool and spa area fantastic, massage and facial lovely, although expensive but ok for special treat. lovely relaxation room. food was very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bedale, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

i booked the shared moments trip for me and my husband,from the moment we got there the treatment from the staff was excellent.The staff were so friendly and helpful.Great spa facility and fa-nominal spa treatments,We had lunch in the brasserie and the food was superb.We stayed overnight with the spa package and the room was so beautiful.I highly recommend using this hotel as its so awesome and you cant get much better than Rockliffe hall to chillax and have a break from the norm.

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My daughter and I went for the 'shared moments' spa day and had a fabulous time. From the moment we arrived we were made welcome by friendly professional staff. The facilities are superb. We both had a facial as part of the package which was lovely and relaxing. Lunch was also included, and my only criticism would be that main meal was brought too quickly following the starter. However, this would allow guests who have booked a full spa day more time to spend within the spa. I will definitely go back.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tyne and Wear
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I went to stay at Rockliffe Hall in Nov'12, it was a present for my 40th birthday from my hubby.
The Hotel is very nice and very easy to find , 2 mins off the main road but in lovely grounds.
The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and walked us to our room.
Our room was very big and had a kingsize bed, 2 sofas and seperate dressing area. Lovely walk in shower and huge mirrored area with 2 sinks.

Our only disappointment was we were booked to eat in the Club house as that is the menu I preferred. One hour before we were to eat, recep rang to say there was a maintenance prob and asked could we eat in another restaurant, my hubby was very unhappy with as it was for a special occasion and I couldnt have what I had chosen. We were then told we could eat there after all then told not 10 minutes later. To cut a very long story short, we ended up having to eat in another restaurant but the hotel manager was great and allowed us to have from the club house menu. The food was very nice. (The manager in the restaurant was a bit of a pain when we asked if we could have our desserts from the clubhouse menu, he went on and on and made us feel like it was such a problem to go down and get food from the clubhouse, which made me insist even more I wanted from the same menu, I should never have been made to feel I was a problem when the hotel was the problem that evening. Was a shame because his attitude did spoil it a bit for us after Simon had been so accomodating earlier).
We had a drink in the cocktail bar. Staff were lovely here too and again very pleasant.

The Spa was wonderful. The rooms are immaculate and look brand new and as if the spa has just opened so the hotel must maintain this area superbly. I would definitely revisit. I had a fabulous treatment with a lovely therapist.

Breakfast was nice the next morning and we did rapid check-out which was great.
We definitely would revisit Rockliffe Hall and purchased a nights stay for our parents for christmas too.
Hopefully I will get to the CLubhouse next time. :-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!