“My Wedding at Walworth Castle” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Walworth Road, Walworth, Darlington DL2 2LY, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Northallerton
“My Wedding at Walworth Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

firstly let me extend my thoughts on this hotel.
e arrived on thr Friday night myself 4 children and my chief bridesmaid, we were allocated the room we had requested overlooking the front of the hotel, where we could see everyone arriving on the Sat morning. We were totally happy with the set up of the room and the staff helped us with all our thibgs to the room, we went down to the carvery for our tea and the food was fantastic.
We had many questions that needed to be answered during the year leading upto us getting married and Surrinder the manager was fantastic, always there to answer quiestions and to help with anythingh he could.
On the morning of the wedding we had an abundance of people in and out of the room, whilst we were getiting ready as you can imagine, as the bride we were moving to the honeymoon suite that night, how was i going to get all my stuff over there?, not a problem as long as its all in a suitcase the staff will move it for you! great!
We had phone calls from surinder throughout the morning, checking we were all ok, and even when all the guest's arrived they were helped to there rooms by the staff.
All in all the day was exquisite, the staff could not of done more to help, Surinder was more that helpfull, and i was so pleased to have him overseeing the wedding, i could not of wished for a better day, made more pleaseuable by the satff.
Food was excellent, and the grounds were fantastic, as for reviwes on this hotel posted by many different people, you only get what you put in, Surrinder is in no way rude, arrogant, and neither were any of the staff. Some peolpe have many different views, all i can say is my day was perfect, and we had guests of 100+ there, everyone commented on how nice the food was the venue and the fact that the staff were so helpfull.

A big thanks go to all of you who helped in making my day so special.

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We had the misfortune to meet with the manager Surinder --, or Walworth Castle's very own Sales Prevention Officer, recently to discuss a wedding booking. The BAD (and I mean very bad!!) attitude of the staff unfortunately lets this beautiful establishment down. We weren't even offered a cursory greeting on arrival and the visit went steadily downhill from there. I cannot stress how uncomfortable this arrogant little man made us feel.

We do not expect subservience but surely a friendly welcoming manner should be a prerequisite certainly from a manager employed in the hospitality trade. We couldn't get away quick enough, indeed the bride to be was horrified when she asked who would be overseeing the ceremony and was advised it would be Surinder himself!!!

So upsetting was this visit that I decided to complain direct to Best Western, at this point not realising that the Castle is actually privately owned, they in turn forwarded my concerns directly to a somewhat defensive Mrs --, the hotel director, whose response was again verging on the point of rudeness. There was no offer of apology, infact she was only sorry that we had chosen to go direct to Best Western, I was advised that the hotel had not had any other derogatory remarks concerning their staff; she quite clearly hasn't read the reviews on this site.

We were bitterly disappointed at the total lack of courtesy shown to us from the team at Walworth Castle and would advise any would be guest - be it hotel or like ourselves a customer looking for a social venue to be aware. There are far better hotels locally where you won't be made to feel like you are something that has been trod in on the bottom of someones shoe!!

A little footnote: Just a few miles away is a beautiful hotel The Redworth Hall. We popped in there following our visit to Walworth, without an appointment I might add, to request some literature on their weddings. We were met with a lovely warm welcome and the staff there went out of their way to accommodate - so much so we booked the venue there and then. Take note Walworth Castle.

Stayed March 2010
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

Within a 20 mile radius there are 2 superb Best Western hotels - now there is a 3! What a choice. The Walworth Castle Hotel was a lovely surprise, exactly how it has descirbed itself - a castle set in very peaceful surroundings (the new born lambs was an added bonus). The staff are very welcoming, I was lucky enough to be offered a free upgrade to a suite in the castle as I belong to the BW awards scheme (without asking). The room was very spacious with a four poster bed and all facilities were there to make my stay very comfortable. The food was excellent - both breakfast and the evening meal. There is a cosy bar for the evening. Best Western also offer free WiFi which was great and the price of my stay was reasonable too . I would definately stay here again.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
lancahire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

food atrocious, chps were burnt, in fact anything fried.Yorkshire pudding was like cardboard, and meat tasteless.
Would not recommend eating in the Farmers bar.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Didn't book basic room as wanted something more special, thought there must have been a mistake as basic rooms looked far better on hotel website than the one we had been allocated. I had to stand on tiptoe to see out of the window, space was very limited & room was dull & shabby. Informed reception staff of our disappointment & we were offered an alternative which was more expensive & had large bay window with view over gardens. With hindsight I should have asked about other options as the hotel was extremely quiet whilst we were there but we were just so relieved not to be staying in the first room. The bed was hard so we did not sleep well. On one occasion there was water dripping through the ceiling from a room above into the hallway outside the bar area, on reporting it to a member of staff, we were told it sometimes does that & she got two metal containers from the kitchen to collect the water. Having said all this, the staff were pleasant & the meals in the Farmer's Bar were excellent but we will not be staying at a Best Western Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

The hotel was booked for me by someone at work on instruction to find a hotel under £80.00 per night. Walworth Castle came in at £75.00. Imagine then my surprise when we turned in to the ompressive drive and saw a 12th century castle in front of us!
The hotel has been added to and after a pleasent check in experience, I wnet to my room that was in the more modern part of the building. first impressions were good.
Recently rennovated by the look of it with tasteful decor and nice sof furnishings.

Furniture itself was very basic however. The initial impression of the room was tempered a bit by a lack of attention to detail and a failure to remedy small faults. Ivy had grown through the upper window making it impossible to close it fully, the bathroom fan was mounted in a cracked window and didn't work. A broken floor tile leaft a very sharp edge that could have cut feet, and the shower barely provided enough water to get wet.

The bar area next to reception is small but pleasent enough, and it was a shame that the weather was not warm enoug to sit out on the pleasent patio area at the front of the hotel. Restaurant menu was a bit strange - nearly all of the starters were vegitarian, but not one of the main courses offered a vegitarian option (I noticed it because one of my colleages is vegitarian). My meal was OK but a bit lacking in flavour, but was very well priced. Service was OK, waiters were friendly and helpful although had no knowledge of the wine list.

Room was queit overnight and breakfast was a good combination of buffet and cooked english.

Overall, I would say the hotel was very good value for money and provided a pleasent overnight stay in stunning surroundings. Give it a try!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

When I booked the room I was told that I had to have a four-poster room to accommodate ourselves and our two children. Consequently it was much more expensive than I was hoping for. The hotel therefore had a lot to live up to in my opinion. I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed! The room was huge and very comfortably furnished. All the fittings etc were good quality and the "feel" of the room was quite opulent. The hotel itself is amazing - a real castle set in beautiful grounds. The meal we had (at the wedding we were attending) was excellent although the evening buffet was mediocre. The breakfast was fine without being anything special. The staff were pleasant but not particularly forthcoming with information until asked. All in all I would definately recommend it for a special treat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!