“Absolutely. Stay here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa

You added Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa to your Saves list
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   | Jl. Raya Kedewatan, P.O. Box 7, Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kedewatan
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Absolutely. Stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Wow. Just, wow. You really feel like you're looking right out into the Jungle (because you are). The rooms look out over a huge area. A river cuts through the jungle below. Very 'in nature' feel even when you're inside - the villa walls are floor to ceiling glass so you can see the view from everywhere.

We wanted to stay in the Jungle and go big on a 1-2 night hotel stay, then stay somewhere a bit more average around the beach. This place was perfect for what we wanted! We didn't go anywhere outside of the hotel during the short stay and that was fine. It was relaxing.

The rooms are huge and exquisite with jacuzzi tub inside and private pool outside. It was too cold to enjoy the pool at night because it was not heated, but it was refreshing during the day. A private butler was assigned to us to help get fresh water, or make reservations and such. Everything was delightful.

This is not a place for kids. I'm cool with kids. It was totally appropriate in many of the places that we stayed. But when we sat down to have a nice dinner at the Kupu Kupu, there was a couple with a crying child and a loud video game player. When you're paying that much for a getaway or honeymoon, that kind of noise kills the mood. Perhaps bring a sitter along or stay somewhere more family oriented?

Room Tip: Really loved our room. Some rooms appeared to be more private than others. For example, from our ou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sudan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

1st don't trust the official website: we booked through the official website but we discovered that they putting offers in the high season then the prices decreased in the low season so never book early in the high season even if there is a special offer, we booked Ayung river pool villa and after discovering that the rate decreased too much while we were booking more than 4 month earlier at least to upgrade the villa as we already paid more than the price of the Ayung river pool club villa but they totally refused so the price is not guaranteed at all.
2nd we stayed for 4 nights at Villa 41, there is no kind of privacy at all as it can be easily watched by 2 villas one from the upper and second from the right.
3rd the villa was very small not luxury as they guaranteed and when we asked them why it is not same as in the pictures their reply the pictures is just for advertising which was disappointing from the beginning
4th the terrace is very very small and putting 2 chairs long in a very small place in the corner beside the door so you will never use it.
5th in the low season it is always raining and the pool is not heated and even the water flow was not working so for us it was useless as it was very cold
6th the Wifi was not working and we complained so many times and every time they restarted the wireless device and after a terrible number of complains they transferred us to another device - no comment
7th the breakfast is very limited as you have 3 main set menus one of them is Balinese.
8th the hotel is very far from Ubud center the hotel provided free shuttle bus till 5 pm only then you have to pay don't rent from them as you can rent any taxi with half price.
9th the day before leaving whenever we saw any staff they remind us that the check out is next day at 12 PM
we already complained about most of the above mentioned points but it seems we were complaining to ourselves
Note: Ubud is more expensive from Kuta so if you want to reserve trips it is better to reserve it from Kuta and take care that the distance from Ubud and most of the trips is very far and the roads are very tight so it can take barely 2 cars so any trip will take most of the day.
In case you want to make trips don’t receive villa and pay too much for something you’ll not use it.

Room Tip: there is no privacy at Villa 41.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Kupu Kupu Barong Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa and for giving us the chance to improve the quality of the hotel's services. I am certainly disappointed that your stay with us was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team during your stay. The interactions with our staff in regards to your comments mostly about room facilities and I will be sure to follow up the improvements that we are going to implement.

Regarding the lack of privacy, I just ordered more plantations to put around the villa in order to more hide the terrace “with the natural arrangement”

I am sorry if the staff gave you as only answer that the picture on the website was corresponding for advertisement. Actually each villa is very unique and provides a unique set up and view. The villa that you got is a very new one, offering the best view on Ayung River as this one is located almost at the bottom of the valley. For this reason, as the slope and the empty space are stronger than the other villas, the terrace is relatively smaller, for safety and legally reasons.

Concerning the wifi problem, during the rainy season, the cables get easily damaged because of the humidity and this can cause more breakdowns than usually. We take seriously this point into consideration and we just installed a new router and replaced cables in order to provide a better connection quality in this villa.

For the breakfast, we already added the Indonesian breakfast in order to give more choice to the guests. Of course, we will consider your comment about it and envisage to more diversifying it.

Finally, as you mentioned in your comment, we do organize complimentary shuttle service every hour until 5:00 pm to Ubud Center, which is located to around 15 minutes from Kupu Kupu. The extra transfer service provided by the Hotel is of course not the same and is more comfortable and safe with Hotel’s cars than a regular Taxi that you can find in Ubud, which justifies the price.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back, so that you could experience hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly on kadek@kupubarong.com if you are traveling to Bali again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Bali was most enjoyable.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Wonderful hotel - amazing view - good service - nice staff - tasty food & a very very special treatment
Special thanks for Sugara our butlar ( very helpfull guy )
If you need an unforgetable stay , you have to choose the Ayun river club villa at Kupu kupu barong hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Upgraded from a 3 star Ubud hotel for two nights of luxury !
Arrived to find our room not ready and to wait nearly an hour.
Finally checked in to find our river pool villa with private plunge pool actually a old sunken spa with sharp edges and black gunk floating around. So bad my wife refused to sit in it.
Fridge was so bad we had to get ice delivered multiple times to cool drinks. Delivery took up to an hour on personal butler room service for ice.
Personal butler was just standard room service.
TV only worked some times.
Booked very expensive deep tissue massage but got very overpriced standard massage.
Wifi did not work in room at all
Must say for the price we expected 4 star experience but got a tired room.
Staff did their best except for manager. We approached the office 3 hours prior to checkout to voice our disappointment but manager was busy. Asked to have him contact us but when we checked out he had left the hotel .
Therefore the terrible rating since the general manager was not interested in resolving our bad experience . Poor poor experience. Would not return

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Kupu Kupu Barong Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa. I am certainly disappointed that your stay with us was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team of your mixed felling during your stay. The interactions with our staff in regards to your comments mostly about room facilities and I will be sure to check and replace with the new one except the plunge pool we need the time to modify from existing shape. Concerning the TV, we registered to change with TV cable last month and 1st of February will be a new TV channel available. Our staff can call me at any time if I am not in the hotel in-case our guest would like to speak or meet with me.

Moscow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This year our New Year trip planning was a bit neglected by us due to lack of time so all was done by our agent. We checked most of the things except for Ubud hotel. And there was it…
We arrived at 2 a.m. because flight fro Java delay. Ubud was nice even in the night but hotel looked suspicious for 5 stars. New year tree was made of tree branches with cotton balls as decoration. Some cables typed to the floor. Garden is full of greens but somehow not quite tidy. Our room was Nr1. With swimming pool. Quite large. We are not really fastidious but upon entrance felt almost nauseous… Smell was disgusting. Mixture of some manure with cheap soap. Further research went even worse. Brownish toilet, half "eaten" box for TV remote, stained bed linen and this terrible smell everywhere. I tried to enter the terrace, but the smell there was even stronger. Manure accents were deeper plus chlorine from swimming pool… And what surprised me even more - looking up instead of stars I saw huge mosquito net strained between trees and full of leaves and over "organic rubbish". We went to bed in hopes that our impression was first one and mostly influenced by difficult flight. But after totally sleepless night (usually you get used to smells quite fast, but not to this cheap soap plus some kind water flush every 30 min and rustle behind the wall) our first words in the morning were "we are leaving this …". Morning inspection added some surprise. Behind the wall were some animals, mostly like pigs… (remember manure smell?).
We packed back our evening stuff and booked another hotel. Asking them to pick us up at 11 despite 2 p.m. check in time. Breakfast was same strange. Canned mango juice, half watered. Nice view from the restaurant on another side of river valley but totally neglected hotel garden. branches everywhere, all trees covered by vines etc. We asked for eggs Benedict, but missed a chance to taste it leaving for reception to check out after 1 hour of fruitless waiting. We decided just to tell about change of plans, decided not to ask money back in order not to ruin great holidays (and still thinking, may we were just expecting too much?) I went to the hotel entrance where the butlers were messing around. Our transfer arrived and I asked them to load our luggage. They checked somehow that we were in one night instead of four booked and paid and first blocked me, but after some calls to reception went t the room to pick up bags.
My friend returned from reception and there began the most scary part of the story. Butlers prohibited our driver to load our bags and told that we could not leave! We were surprised and stressed. It seemed like we were hostages after paying for four nights in the hotel and leaving after one night. After five minutes verbal fight they told us to go to reception again. And there we we requested to sign a very strange paper before leaving. It stated that we did not have any questions to the hotel and quality of our stay, we didn't ask for refund from the hotel or tour operator (who was our receiving party, who by the way recommended this hotel to our agent) in Bali. Front manager told that will not let us go before we sign it!!!
That was really amazing for us! Even more amazing, that they had this "letters of joy" ready and done! As if this was regular situation!
Having signed this and leaving this hostage orients hotel we spent half a day trying just to forget about this story and remove manure soap smell from the lungs…
In general, details could be specific for us our stay, but was is evident, that this hotel definitely is not 5 stars, not four and not even three… Rooms cleanliness and facilities, food, service and overall impression is at best two stars. This was also confirmed by surrounding publican breakfast: Russian regional couples and Aussie students both of quite marginal outfit.

Room Tip: I would not stay in this hotel anymore...
Dear Kupu Kupu Barong Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa. I am certainly disappointed that was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team of your mixed felling during your stay. The interactions with our staff in regards to your comments about the smell and organic rubbish on the plunge pool canopy are certainly not typical and I will be sure to improve the appearance of our villa and coordinate with our neighbor to cut their bamboo tree (other property) in order to keep clean our villa balcony and the pool itself. We bring these issues to a serious meeting with our department concern to improve our service into details.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay, the view and all in Bali.

People at the hotel are very kind. Rooms are nice. The restaurant is good too, but after a few days we have tried all the dishes and since we where there for a long stay, the food got a little boring. The nature around the hotel is amazing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Beautiful views of the River Gorge but the service is not great and the food is poor quality for the price. Over cooked vegetables and everything coated in oil and sugar. Very difficult to find anything traditional or healthy.

More expensive than the 5 star Mandarine Oriental in Jakarta and this felt like a three star hotel at best in comparison.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kupu Kupu Barong Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa. I am certainly disappointed that your dinner in our restaurant was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team. The interactions with our staff in regards to your comments about our services and food quality are certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise. We investigated the oily food that you order was Lumpia (Indonesian spring rolls since the method of cooking with deep frying.

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kedewatan
Kamandalu Ubud
The Royal Pita Maha
#41 of 145 in Ubud
4.5 of 5 stars 811 reviews
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang

Been to Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa? Share your experiences!