“What a Shame” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Micheldever B&B and Inns
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“What a Shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for two night 29th-30th December arrived after dark, shown through almost empty bar etc which was also very dark , and up a flight of stairs to our room, again rather gloomy. The room was warm but the large bathroom had no heating at all and was cold!! The duvet was very thin and only just wide enough for the double bed. We had one hard lumpy pillow each. The flat screen TV was too small for the room.
In it's favour the Full English was superb and freshly cooked when we came down. All in all we thought the place was 'sad' and in need of TLC.
Outside needed a good tidy up too. I am surprised it has an AA 4 star rating!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pinner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have stayed at The Dove Inn on numerous occasions, mainly for overnight stays on business, and I thought it was about time I wrote a review. This is by far the best B&B in Hampshire by a mile (and I have stayed at many hotels in the area). To start with the food is unbelievably good, fresh local produce and chef wizardry in the kitchen produces an outstanding menu. The rooms are well appointed and have a few nice luxury touches, including in room Wi-Fi access. The beds are very comfortable and I always get great night’s sleep. The atmosphere at the bar is great fun too; the locals are always a pleasure to have a chat with, over a beer or two. There has recently been a change to the management and I believe this has further enhanced the overall experience! I would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone, either the business traveller or anyone who is visiting the beautiful Hampshire countryside on hols!

Room Tip: Rooms 4 & 5 are the best in my option.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dorset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This establishment is apparently under new management. I was told by my companion that it was a far more congenial place when she visited a few months ago.

The decor was dark and not very well lit. None of the fires were laid and the dining area and bar felt chilly....certainly not warm.

The food was OK, but not special. My venison burger was pleasant but the chips were huge chunks of potato and I would guess oven baked, they were not crispy or tasty. My friend's pastry case for her butternut squash and cheese tart was so hard, it was inedible.

We ordered coffee, which was truly terrible, it tasted weak and watery - when we explained that it was undrinkable we were told "it's the machine".....my friend ordered an espresso which was better and I opted for a cup of tea instead.

I certainly would not visit the restaurant here again. It lacked atmosphere and the food was adequate but not tasty or delicious. Such a shame as it has the potential to be good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had avery nice Saturday lunch, the service was very good, food was great and reasonably priced, very handy for the station as its just across the road. Good ale for my husband and a nice selection of food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Dove sits close to Micheldever Station, rather than in the village which is a little way further down the road. This is a quiet country pub and restaurant as well as a B&B. The ambience is good, although often quite quiet. We called in on a whim, we have eaten here a number of times in the past, it wasn't busy. They offered a £16 menu for a starter and a main, from which we ate, along with a couple of beers the total bill was less than £20 a head.

Food was attractively presented and quickly served, which suited as we had a deadline.
I had the mackrel pate, smooth and tasty, followed by a venison burger with blue cheese and rustic chips. The burger was cooked to perfection, the chips were crisp, thick and stacked Jenga style.
My wife had breaded garlic mushrooms, followed by slow roast belly of pork with veg and roast potatoes. The crackling was crisp, but not dry. A nice touch, the meal came with a roast apple rather than apple sauce.

The only reason I have not given a 5 is the room was a bit chilled. If I could have given a 4.5 I would have.

If you live around North Hampshire, check out this lost gem. Now under new management (since the summer of 2012).

Note: I didn't understand why I couldn't see the Dove under restaurants, as this is one of our favourite places to eat around North Hampshire. Perhaps this is something Trip advisor should address, when an establishment is both a hotel and a good restaurant it should perhaps be listed twice. So this review is for the restaurant, not the hotel where I have (sadly) yet to stay.

Room Tip: I haven't stayed here, just returned to eat the lovely food.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The pub itself was lovely, set in a very picturesque Hampshire village.
The food was fantastic - the coffee cheese cake was epic and the breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled egg was lovely. The rooms was quite large, very comfortable, and en-suite.

A couple of niggles though - firstly the room was freezing when we checked in - no one had thought to turn the radiators on. Secondly, and quite a major gripe this, someone came in to our room around 4am! Luckily we're light sleepers and asked them to leave which they did, whilst drunkenly murmuring their apologies.

How on earth did they get the same room keys as us? Very odd. Mentioned this when checking out (to the chef) who obviously was non the wiser!

But, aside from nocturnal room intrusions, this was actually a nice pub.

Room Tip: Make sure you clarify who else has keys!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for one evening in this country B&B and was very impressed, a nice varied menu better than seen in many more well known gastro pubs. We had the Venison Burger with Blue cheese which was cooked to just the right level. Accomodation was clean and modern in a lovely building full of original features. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Dove Inn? Share your experiences!