“Winter adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Cliff Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Combermere
Pine Cliff Resort
You added Pine Cliff Resort to your Saves list
21 Allingham Lane | Box 99, Combermere, Ontario K0J1L0, Canada   |
Hamilton, Canada
“Winter adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were welcomed by a roaring fire in our fireplace and a clean comfortable cabin. The pool and hot tub were much appreciated after out door activities. All the amenities of a big name resort but hidden away. Very relaxing and a great place to just chill.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We rented Cottage 1 for a couple of nights in September. We arrived fairly late one evening; it was dark and raining fairly hard.
When daylight came, we were able to see what a lovely spot we had chosen. The site wasn't very busy (it was out of season, and midweek), but the people we did see were very friendly and welcoming. The site has a nice beach, and some lovely views across a lake; we waited for sunset and were rewarded with some nice photos.
The site owner couldn't have been more helpful; we had a problem with one of the door locks which was taken care of immediately; we were left with the impression that nothing was too much trouble.
One thing we found a little strange; the dividing wall between two of the bedrooms didn't meet the ceiling; one was aware that every sound could be heard by the occupants of the room next door. This only applied to two of the rooms, all the others were fine.
Overall, we enjoyed our brief stay and would love to go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We rent a cottage here for 1 week every year. Members of our extended family have been coming here for over 20 years. We have been to other places, but they pale in comparison. We made use of all the activities: Outdoor activities; we rented a boat & went fishing, played beach volley ball, horse shoes, & basket ball and also went swimming at the beach. Indoors: we shot some pool, played table tennis and went swimming in the salt water pool. We looked at the fitness room, but who's kidding who - it's a vacation ;) The kids look forward to returning the next year...the same day we are leaving! Kind of says it all.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We just spent three nights in Cottage 4 at Pine Cliff Resort--which we were able to do because it's still considered the 'off season.' I think you can only get it for a week over the summer. The price was great, our cottage was fantastic, and there was only one other cottage in use because of the time of the year and the fact that it was mid-week, I guess. Sounds like it could get busy in the summer months, with lots of kids running around, which was not the type of holiday we were hoping for. We were thrilled with how quiet it was, and the fact that we had the whole place to ourselves.

We played beach volleyball (quite a work-out for two people who aren't very athletic and spend more time chasing the ball than volleying it), went swimming in the salt-water pool (the temps never passed 20°C so there was no river-swimming for us), played ping-pong and foosball, went for walks around the RVs, and played with the resort dogs, siblings Lenny and Austin (Lenny came over for steak one evening--we loved her and she loved our steak). The owners/staff were very friendly and helpful.

Definitely a great place for active families with kids. If you're looking for a quieter trip, I'd recommend going off-season--it was positively tranquil. We didn't turn on the television once and managed to get through a couple of books and more than a few card games.

I would definitely go back, maybe with family this time in a bigger cottage (or rent a couple of them side-by-side for a week), and will highly recommend this resort to others. A short drive to Barry's Bay to replenish supplies, and there is white water rafting nearby.

We stopped at the Bonnechere Caves on our way back to Ottawa, another fun excursion for a family. I also recommend the Wilno Tavern for pierogies!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here while visiting another friend in the area. It was easy to find, picturesque location and the cottage was beautiful inside. We really appreciated having the comforts of home such as comfortable beds in separate rooms, a well equipped kitchen, BBQ, fire pit and a TV with Treehouse! The best part for our group was having common seating areas (indoor and outdoor) so that we could all sit around and visit in comfort without having to go to a restaurant or sit in a motel room. We didn't use the pool, but it looked like it would have been fun if we had. We all agreed that we would gladly stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

we just returned from a 3 night getaway from here, this was our first trip in our new trailer and we enjoyed our trip. The staff were great to deal with the indoor pool and hot tub were clean, they also had a games room and tv that we used thurday night as the weather was kinda crapy so while the kids played ping pong and pool the dads got to watch hockey. The only bad thing was there is no onsite store you had to drive about 10 min into the village and it closes at 5. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I goofed. I don't know what I was thinking. Well actually, I do. We just got a dog and so I was looking for a place was convenient to Ottawa that was pet friendly. This fit the bill - I thought from the website anyway.

To describe my reaction to Pine Cliff, I have to provide some context. My getaways in Ottawa East region include Bartlett Lodge in Algonquin, Arowhon Pnes on Joe Lake, Hay Lake Lodge in Whitney. I have also canoe-camped many of the interior lakes in Algonquin. I almost always portage a few lakes in to get away from the crowds. When I get away, I like getting away from crowds. I have paddled from Cedar Lake at the North end and out Opeongo at 60. My favourite adventures include sea kayaking in the Queen Charlottes, whitewater kayaking in Costa Rica and just hanging out in Cabo Matapalo on the edge of the Corcovado jungle of the Osa peninsula. The sounds and sights of the natural world.

When I head out towards Algonquin, in my mind's eye I can already see the loon pair as my only paddling companions on the calm waters of tranquil mist covered lake that the early morning sun has not yet penetrated. My sports are oxygen fed, not gas powered.

Driving down the highway with my canoe on my car, I see these oversized trucks boasting hemi engines, towing all kinds of gas guzzling toys, sea -doos, ATVs, often in pairs or convoys. They take as much of their creature comforts and noise from the city as they can haul.

In the past I've wondered where the play because I've managed to avoid those places - until now. They play - at Pine Cliff.

When you arrive, you get a map of the "subdivision." It's RVs, double wides, cheek to jowl, side by side. If a couple has an argument it can't be private, the next six families on either side will know all about it. They are packed in tight and they seem to like it. People are driving around on their ATVS, towing their sea doos. They are seasonals or owners - up every weekend, seeing friends. Victoria Day weekend seemed to be deck building weekend for a few folk. By all appearances this is their summer neighborhood - the weekend place.

There is pride of ownership. The place is well maintained. Service is excellent and friendly. Pine needles and leaves are all raked into neat piles. There are a few cottages on the perimeter of the subdivision that are rented out by the week or weekend, which is what we rented. The cottage was spotless. The flat screen t.v. had a better image than my t.v. at home. The gas bbq on the covered deck was spanking new - I grilled every meal. The covered deck was huge. The beach area was groomed and pristine. The salt water pool area was similarly clean and very busy during inclement weather. Towels, bedding, all supplied and very convenient. Other reviewers have described this place as immaculate and I would agree.

This is a very social place. I think it worked for my six year old son. He made instant friends at the pool. He met all kinds of folks walking their dogs and our new puppy socialized well with the other dogs in the neighborhood. In bad weather having a recreation complex with pool works for families with active kids. It would have been a bad weekend to be stuck in a tent.

But for me, I'm really looking forward to my return to Hay Lake Lodge which is, as advertised, on the "quiet side." No, t.v.s, no phones in the cabins. When you look out the window, you don't see another cabin. There are no RVS, no ATVS, no PWCS . The sounds of nature aren't drowned out by the constant buzz of some engine or other. My backyard would have been more quiet this weekend.

I will keep looking for the right "pet-firendly" escape. I think I will have to save my pennies and spring for Killarney Lodge next time.

Know thyself. Live and learn.

Room Tip: We were in Cottage 7 - close to the boat launch so there was a lot of boat engine noise. Other cott...