“Know what you're getting into...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa de Zoysa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pitiwella
Villa de Zoysa
You added Villa de Zoysa to your Saves list
The White House | Galle Road, Boossa, Pitiwella, Sri Lanka   |
Bodmin, Cornwall
“Know what you're getting into...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Being an attentive husband, I accompanied my wife to Villa de Zoysa, alias the White House, during our holidays. You'll perhaps understand my reticence when I say I was told to expect an 'ayurvedic vegetarian yoga retreat' so I was pretty well prepared for anything. But not only was I pleasantly surprised, it turned out to be the highlight of the holiday. Firstly, there's no compunction to do anything; it's a fantastic place to hang out. Secondly, I'm sure I had chicken at one meal - often we had tuna bought fresh from a seaside stall nearby and tasting like no tuna I'd ever bought elsewhere. Thirdly, I even did two yoga sessions, and was welcomed without pressure or expectation – and I really enjoyed it. The villa is halfway between Hikkaduwa and Galle and both are easy and cheap to reach by tuk-tuk, several of which are permanently stationed outside. It looks almost like an antebellum mansion, and the rambling wood-anelled interior is full of character. There's an excellent beach just across the road in front of the villa, although unless the sea is calm it's better for surfing than swimming. The dinners are fabulous, Sri Lankan delicacies beautifully prepared and served at an enormous refectory table. Don't expect air conditioning, a swimming pool or any pressure... it's a perfect spot to chill out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

How can I describe Villa? It's impossible to give the description of the place that became a part of your soul. It feels like home, starting with hospitality of Devinda, this cosy and amazing atmosphere, great people I met...
Great place, great accommodation, great cuisine (I still remember the taste of hot roti with passionfruit jam)))))). Our great yoga, our evenings on the terrace, our going out, Hikkaduwa beach.
I will be back ))))

That's what I wrote while going back home:

"And I still have the Srilankian sand in my shoes.

This is Sri Lanka, the country of smiling dogs, warm rains and glowworms. This is incredible Villa deZoysa, incredible because it really exists in the world and collects under one roof so many wonderful people, so alive, so real, so amazing...

Seems like only yesterday I came here expecting for some new emotions and impressions. In those two weeks this place became something really mine. There are such places and people, that make little shapes on your heart while leaving them. But those shapes are not painful at all - because you always know that you will come back to the places and to the people who touched your heart.

That's what remains always with you: sounds and smells that are impossible to forget, the taste of hot roti with butter and passionfruit jam, coconut cookies and tea with milk, the smell of frangipani, hot sand, ocean, mixed with sandal ...

And every time, when I will think of Sri Lanka, in my mind will appear an empty beach near villa, song of the ocean and white dog accompanying me. Her right ear is up, and left one - always down. She is like a very clever but sometimes so tricky keeper of this beach, this villa, this island in the Indian ocean.."

• Stayed January 2013
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Absolutely great, Devinda's hospitality resembles the one from a good friend. From the start until the end of my stay I was treated like a good friend rather then a random guest making the villa a home. Moreover, the food was excellent, the staff friendly and the location ideal for the one who seeks the beach life in Hikkaduwa or the atmosphere of a town like Galle, both close by. The yoga was good, in the own way of the teacher. As there are rotating teachers serious yogis should ask for the kind of yoga tought. All in all: the best for all who want to have a family-like surrounding.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I visited this place with my wife and my wife’s friends. Actually my wife strongly recommended us to visit there since she had been quite satisfied with her last visit.

As she explained, everything was great and enjoyable, amazing hospitality of the host and yoga teacher, delicious and exotic food, unique mood surrounding pristine nature, neighbor’s friendliness, lovely dogs and so on….

Most of all, the host, Devinda, is very good at making enjoyable atmosphere. With his efforts, all guests were able to enjoy the place comfortably as they do at their home. We had pleasent time and all guests became friends. I can’t forget the cheerful atmosphere there.

At the place, I and my wife enjoyed relaxing time and got healing time of our soul and body.
Hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Like my fellow yoga holiday friend, Marcelo (review below), I can highly recommend Villa de Zoysa. Devinda's place and set up was great and just what I needed after a stressful couple of months. The house is beautiful, much nicer than staying in a hotel, don't need to lock your door and just wander around in bare feet all day.
It's in a beautiful part of the world, quite quiet in off season, perfect for me, but might not be for those who want to be busy busy every second of the day.
Now I'm back in cold London I am dreaming of being back in Boossa and look forward to returning again one day, and I might just not leave next time!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I needed to take a week off to relax and rest and had some doubts about whether I was taking some risks by going to a Yoga retreat place, on low season and without any similar previous experience. The truth is that it couldn't have been better. I was received and treated as a friend and enjoyed a lot the two yoga sessions that we had every day. The atmosphere is very special because of the house, the place and the particular way in which you relate to other guests, sharing meals and spending time together. The beach is just across the road and you can alternate between very quite beaches or more crowded once where you can practice surf or play voleyball. I'm hopping to visit de Villa again in the future. It has been a great week. Thanks Devinda and Loulou!!

Marcelo

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We (42, 15 and 9 yo ) girls visited spent almost 2 weeks at the Villa. Location – just cross the road from the ocean, food – local, fresh and delicious, yoga classes – very effective, atmosphere – family, hosting – most caring we ever had. My kids still think Sri Lanka all day long.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Villa de Zoysa? Share your experiences!