“Good Time !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Modessa Island Resort

Save Saved
You added Modessa Island Resort to your Saves list
Modessa Island Resort
144 Kms. north of Puerto Princesa City, Roxas, Palawan Island, Philippines (Formerly Coco Loco Island Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Roxas
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good Time !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Despite of some bad story's we heard and reviews in the net ,must we say that we had a good time on this island.Beach and water activities are great,so we did not mind that the cottages where a bid simple.Nothing to say about the food either.Staff and manager where quite cooperative and we figured out that we just needed to ask if we wanted to have something extra or different so no big deal.safe beach and enough space for kids to play around.The island is very small (20 min to walk around it) so be prepared to spend your day with relaxing or in the water .we made a boot tour to a fishing village (green island ) which i can recommend.there is a dive shop on the island with 2 instructors from England and Germany.Dive and snorkel gear looked all new and they have kayaks as well.Dives where almost to long(60-70 min) but there is lots to see.Night dive was outstanding.A minus was maybe that the included free boot ride to the island is leaving at 2 pm only so good to schedule a bid to avoid waiting at the pier.Going back we could choose between 8am and 1pm.
They are not able to accept credit card payments so better have enough cash with you .

Room Tip: Cottages 4-10 are maybe at the best location
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed here before 4 years ago as it was Coco Loco Island. I came back to enjoy the fantastic beach and great Diving that you will not find for this price anywhere else in Palawan. The rooms are still very basic as before but I did not go there to sit in my room all day. The new management have made basic repairs to the rooms and the bed was new. On my last visit 4 years ago I had to change rooms due to bed lice! The snorkelling and Diving is still very good. The House Reefs are still in very good condition .. so many different types of corals and fish to see I spent most of the day s Diving and snorkelling. The Dive Center is run by the same guys as before and they have all new equipment too. THE NIGHT DIVING IS EXCEPTIONAL. The service in the resort is a little bit slow, they did not clean my room and change my towels or bed sheets often enough.Perhaps I should have asked! There is little or no entertainment in the evenings. The food was quite good for the Philippines!... TIPS ... Plan your arrival in Roxas for lunchtime as their free service boat departs to the Island at 2pm. If you want to go there before or after 2pm they will charge you extra. Free boat transfers leaving the Island are at 8am and 1pm. I have travelled around Palawan 3 times now and there is no better beach to lay back and relax. My girlfriend had and excellent time learning how to Scuba dive during our visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

even the name changed to modessa island is these island still my favorite place to go in palawan.The beach in front of our room was perfect and even rooms where simple like they have always been we enjoyed our stay.new mattresses and bedding's are improving the sleeping quality from before and it was absolute quiet during our stay.Service is simple once a while but the perfect snorkeling and diving possibility's just in front of our bungalows made our stay perfect.where can you find still find a good - perfect reef without going on a boot tour.even prices went up a bit from our previous stay (like everywhere) still a good place to go even for families.food was from better quality than before i would say.all in all still a highlight from palawan
dive shop is still existing and i would say a perfect place to do a diving course or refresher

Room Tip: room 3-8 have the best location even all rooms are facing the beach
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Makati, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

If you check my profile, I reviewed this hotel when it was still Coco Loco because I had a great experience with them and to my disappointment, my next visit or should I say attempted visit was a DISASTER.

We booked thru EPALAWAN (I also warn you not to trust them as they do not know what they are doing as well). We are group of American, European and Filipino - 4adults and 2 kids aged 3 and 4 years old.
It was all smooth starting from Manila to Puerto Prinsesa airport to the nice van until we get to the Roxas Port. A lady in pink shirt named Sally welcomed us at the Port but told us to wait for 5 minutes. She said she works for Modessa. It was a warm welcome and she asked us to stay at the 2nd floor of the restaurant and gave us a menu to order our lunch so when we get to the island, which is by the way could take up to 2 hours banca ride (depending on the weather).

After 10 mins, she told us we had to wait a little bit as more people are arriving. We are all relaxed, happy and very excited to visit the island again. After an hour or so, we told her we have to take the boat before it gets dark as we have 2 kids with us. To our disappointment, she was giving us a boat without the outrigger, even saying, it's like a 'speed boat'. Of course, we complained and then another boat arrived with outrigger but it is also small for 6 people and very DANGEROUS; let me note that the wave is strong that day, even other boat men were confirming it. Again we complained and looked for the big boat that they always use. Obviously this is not our first time to go there BUT our first time to go under new management. So either we won't make it to that island or we will be soaking wet with crying, seasick kids. She made some calls and looked very tensed until she suggested for me to call the manager to ask for the big boat.
I speak tagalog and I asked him nicely that we need the big, usual boat that we take and here's his rude replied "you are late, the big boat leaves at 2pm". NO ONE - not even the travel agent told us about the 2pm rule. I told him that it is not acceptable as the last time we were there, we took that boat around 530pm (which probably is already against the coast guard law if there's any?). He was angry and said it is the rule of the new management and we have to follow. We told him the only rule that we all should follow is that "Customer is always right!." Honestly, we are very easy to please (knowing that we are staying in old huts) BUT WE ARE NOT GOING TO RISK OUR KIDS' LIVES - THAT IS VERY UNFAIR TO THE KIDS.

So to summarize it all, some of us wasted their vacation leave from their work, our friends spent money to fly from Singapore to Manila for this 6-months long preparation vacation, we again spent hundreds of dollars for our flight from Manila to Puerto Prinsesa, we paid 9000 for the van and travelled 2-hours each way just to get stuck at Roxas town and then we paid another 1600 for the pension rooms in Roxas. The travel agent tried to convince us to go there the next morning but who would want to deal with these people again. We got a refund for the rooms but we didn't get any for the van telling us 'we were the ones who didn't want to take the small boat.' What a great way to handle a hospitality business. Guess it is just fair for me to say, AVOID THIS RESORT and think twice about EPALAWAN travel agency. There are other islands in the Philippines that you can try.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

It's true, the huts are very basic, but you're in a hut on the beach! What would you expect from a peaceful private island an hour away from the main island. You can walk around the entire island in 20 minutes. It's really quiet here, and the beach is absolutely gorgeous! Way better than El Nido and Honda bay, for sure. My husband is an avid SCUBA diver and did a night dive with the SCUBA shop there (Tarvis Dive Center). He was the only guest diving that night, so it was just him and the shop owner, Richard. said it was the best dive he's ever done. For the 2 of us, it cost about $100 usd for one day. That includes accommodations and 3 fantastic meals. There were families and couples there. Everyone had nothing but smiles! We almost went back again on our way back to Puerto Princesa from El Nido, but timing didn't work out.

I recommend to go to Remari Pension in Puerto Princesa to confirm your reservation when you get to Palawan, just to make sure it's all arranged.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms on Modessa!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I spent 3 days on Modessa Island and i must say i am completely confused by what people are saying, i mean some people have it right, some i cannot understand. The place for scenery is pretty sweet, the place for nice accomodation and good service, just doesnt exist, the service is just simple and thats about all that can be said, the people who serve you are nice and all, but to go beyond saying great service, sorry that is incorrect.

The 3 days i spent there in a very run down bungalow, if they could invest a little to make them nice that would help, but to charge me the prices for what we got it was way over the top, and great service, again my room was not even touch in 3 days, no cleaning the room, sheets, bathroom, nothing, not an ounce of service here.

The surrounding area is definetly beautiful, the beach is nice, the water is nice, lots of fish but the reefs are destroyed, the years of syinide fishing and dynamite fishing have really taken there toll on the place.

Truely not the place i would visit again under the management they have now, it was just all strange and wierd place, they need to learn to be more interactive with the guests, since the place is small and not a lot of guests to begin with they should try and do things like BBQs for the guests ect, the potential is there but the management really only care about how much we can bring in rather than invest a little to bring in more.

Dissappointing overall, dont listen to the people who say its so great, i am sure these are not real people and they are just trying to get you to go there,

Happy travels, you have been warned about this place

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at the Modessa (ex CocoLoco) in Feb 2012 - and we really loved it! We met some people, who had stayed there in the CocoLoco era, and it was clear that at that time prices were much lower and service much better. Still, considering the natural beauty of the island (really amazing!!), the cosy atmosphere in the basic cottages and restaurant, the good food and decent service, we were more than satisfied! Also the coral reefs that begin just 20 metres from the shores are really impressive. It was the highlight of our stay in Palawan!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Modessa Island Resort? Share your experiences!