“A Must do!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A Must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My mother and I had a wonderful day, kayaked to Watering Cove and walked 3 hours back to Marahau. Our instructor was Jeremy and he was an absolute pleasure to have guide us, he was fun and enthusiastic and kept us entertained with stories about the able tasman, and the wildlife around it. Yummy lunch (such a nice thought with the coffee) and great price overall. I am now thinking every holiday I will have to jump in a sea kayak as it was definitely the highlight of my trip to the nelson area. Thank you so much.

Visited February 2014

Helsinki, Finland
4 attraction reviews
“Very nice kayaking, but can be big waves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We did the freedom kayak and walk one day trip. The kayaking route starts from Marahau and ends to Anchorage. The route was very beautiful and there are a lot of small beaches where you can land and have a lunch. We even had our own little private beach! There is a possibility to kayak to the island close by to see a seal colony, but unfortunately we didn't see but one seal. We did see an adorable blue penguin though! So worth the paddle.

The last bit around the small peninsula before reaching Anchorage is quite rough even on good weather, the waves can be a bit high and you will definitely get soaking wet!! But it is doable. However, if you are inexperienced or do not feel comfortable with bigger waves, I would recommend choosing the option to return the kayak to the same spot where you started, or returning the the kayak to the alternative ending point before the "mad mile".

Visited February 2014
London
36 attraction reviews
“Kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We went on the Abel Tasman Sea Shuttle service first from Kaiteriteri all the way up to Totaranui & then got dropped off at Anchorage on their way back, we walked to Watering Cove from there (caution: steep hill to start!) & met our kayaking guide, Jeremy, there. We waited a while for our lunch to arrive but didn't mind as it was a beautiful spot & eventually we set off, Jeremy was a very good guide & made me feel safe. We stopped at Apple Tree Bay for a cuppa tea & the wind had gotten up on the way, I wasn't feeling so confident about carrying on as it was a headwind & I'm not an experienced water baby! Jeremy ended up having to hook up the tow rope to our kayak to guide us around the corner into Coquille Bay where we ended up ditching the kayaks as it was just too rough for my liking, I was soaking wet & not enjoying it at all. Jeremy then lead us out on a walk through to Marahau which was very easy & pleasant. The only problem was at the end of our trip, we were told we would only have to wait about 10-15 minutes for a ride back to Kaiteriteri but this turned into 45 minutes & as I had gotten wet & was quite exhausted from the ride I got a wee bit grumpy at this stage!! Other than that I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had not been a full on headwind, just unfortunate timing.

Visited January 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Amazing people and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We visited Marahau and decided to kayak one way on the Abel Tasman and walk back. All it took to finalise plans were the wonderful staff at Kahu Kayaks. They helped us choose the best days to go around some bad weather, and the beat bays to stay and how to mazimise our time.

The kayaks were up to date, preparations of camping permits organised and instructions and safety all expertly dealt with and the way they let you proceed at your pace. One staff member also went above and beyond with some equipment we didn't have. Nothing bad to say about their service. Thanks.

Germany
4 attraction reviews
“Great freedom kayaking expirience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have really enjoyed our day of freedom kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park. We saw baby seals and were able to reach lonely beaches only accessible by boat. The waves in the morning were quite strong so I recommend only to go on your own if you have some experience.
The instructions on security were really good and the guides made sure everybody feels comfortable before they left.
The only downside was that our luggage was really wet after the trip because they use neoprene covers which did not withstand the waves. But this is common to all kayaks in NZ.
We spent the night in the Anchorage Bay which was a great experience. The whole trip to anchorage only took 3-4 hours so we still had a lot of time to chill out on the beach.

Visited December 2013