My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Ocean View Chalets in Marahau in early March 2013. The chalets are located pretty close to where the road ends and the park begins (maybe 1km away at most). The town of Marahau, a 10 minute walk from the chalets, is tiny and consists of just a couple of places to eat and a general store where limited provisions can be bought and tours arranged. Both nights we got take-out from the Fat Tui, a permanent food truck located near the chalets – a fun experience and the food was good. The chalets are perched up on a hill providing them with their “Ocean view” although it should be noted that they are not adjacent to the beach Our chalet (#6) had a nice view looking out towards Abel Tasman park and the water. The chalet is rustic but comes with most everything you’ll need. Our host, Robert, was very nice and arranged our water taxi drop-off for the morning. Although breakfast is not complimentary Robert will provide a breakfast for a reasonable fee. There are also laundry facilities on site which we took advantage of.
I liked the Ocean View Chalets. There was something genuine and unpretentious about them. Sure, the chalets might feel a little dated to some, but I thought they suited the town of Marahau and its “no worries” lifestyle perfectly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in native bush, with spectacular ocean views, our private self contained chalets offer the perfect getaway. Start the day with a scrumptious buffet breakfast and a smile. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ocean View Chalets Hotel Abel Tasman National Park
- Ocean View Chalets South Island
- Ocean View Chalets Marahau, Nelson-Tasman