“A massive disapointment - don't stay here.” 1 of 5 stars

De Vere Staverton Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Daventry Road, Staverton, Daventry NN11 6JT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Newbury, United Kingdom
“A massive disapointment - don't stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I entertained clients at British Grand Prix and stayed with them at the De Vere Staverton Park hotel a few years back. So when I had the same requirement I was happy to book with them again despite some of the bad feedback I’d read. Huge mistake.

I booked rooms for thirteen people and the rooms ranged from £174 through to £190 – some single occupancy, others twin/double – so it’s not cheap. When I booked it over the phone I took the time to give each person details and have them allocated to each of the rooms. This way guest can arrive without the host and check into the correct room. This process took around 30 mins. On arrival the hotel had no record of any of it, all rooms booked under one name – sigh.

I’d booked dinner for thirteen at 20:30 and so after a few drinks in the bar we went to the restaurant but were told only a buffet was available?!? I booked this months in advance was never once told that I’d have to queue up with my clients rather than have a proper dinner service.
This is from their web site “We’re fanatical about food at De Vere Venues Staverton Park.” Well the tandoori chicken that I had from the buffet was dry and tasteless – is that fanatical means nowadays? The meal was awful – we complained – the staff apologized, did nothing else and we left.

The men’s toilets just off reception stank so bad of urine it made my eyes water and who thought it was a good idea to put a giant vending machine in the lobby? I asked at the bar for a bottle of water (none in the room) and was told use the vending machine – yeah I always carry 50p’s with me when staying at hotels.

My room was dirty. The bath was dirty on the sides and taps. The floor was dirty and the fixtures and fittings were battered and old. See the photos
The whole experience was an embarrassment to me in front of my clients and considering the bill was well past four figures it was an expensive embarrassment at that.

I’ll never stay at a De Veres hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your constructive review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing. I can only apologise that a system error resulted in the loss of details for your rooms, I am glad however that our staff were able to keep your allocation and ensure that the booking was not lost altogether. I am sorry that our buffet style evening meal was not to your liking and thank you for your comments which will be duly reiterated to our Head Chef to ensure that better quality checks are made in the kitchen before the food is served to our guests. I do however sympathise with the chef as a dish such as Tandoori chicken can be down to the tastes of our guests; some may like this more mild and some may prefer it spicier, a difficult one to gauge. I will definitely pass on your valid comments about not being informed of our buffet style dinner service to our Reception and Reservations team to ensure that all our guests are fully informed before booking tables with us. I am sorry that our vending machine was a downfall to your stay; this was installed after helpful suggestions from our guests, many of whom appreciate this convenience when the bar is closed at the end of the evening. I am sorry to hear that your room was not up to our usual standard and will pass on your feedback to our Housekeeping Manager to ensure that all rooms are being thoroughly checked before being made available to our guests. We are currently in the process of refurbishment, but thank you for bringing to my attention the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom, I will ensure that your room is one of the next to receive attention. Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your unsatisfactory visit, I will be taking all your points on board and making improvements where needed.

Alan Whiteley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived with the Porsche Club Great Britain as we visited the Silverstone Classic Weekend. Lovely looking hotel, reception area, friendly helpful staff, then we went to our room (306).
There was no information folder to tell us about what facilities were available, times for breakfast, dinner etc, no air con so we had to keep the dirty patio door type window open. 2 bath towels but only 1 hand towel, one of the two lights in the bathroom was not working, we had 1 plastic cup for the two of us & a very dirty & noisy fan in the bathroom.
In the bedroom itself we had a very large heavy wall mirror just resting against the wall not fixed, only 6 hangers for a double room of which none were for a suit, no tissues in either the bathroom or bedroom.
In the restaurant on the first night we were offered a roll but only white was available no brown or granary i ordered lamb for my main & was asked how i wanted it cooked to which i asked for it medium to well done, when it arrived it was rare with blood. It was taken away but by the time it arrived back my partner had eaten his dinner. At the Gala Dinner again no wholemeal rolls available then our last breakfast you had run out of marmalade & also because of the amount of guests having breakfast we had to ask a waiter for tea & coffee we had finished our breakfast but had to still wait for our second cup.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am glad that you have also contacted me directly and provided such valid comments for me to investigate. I am pleased that I have been given the opportunity to resolve your disappointing stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bournemouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was our 3rd stay here and sadly we have found the quality of food service and breakfast has gone downhill. We waited 20 minutes in the dining room on the Friday evening before we managed to flag someone down to place a drink order and made sure we ordered food too as the service was atrociously slow, many diners were unhappy and several raised eyebrows were shared across the room! We then waited another 20 minutes before chasing the drinks and again a further 20 minutes for our starter so an hour before we even started our meal, even having booked a table. The deal options were limited to 3 choices without additional cost, however the food quality was very good but a small glass of standard wine was expensive at £7.00 and large £9.90 (Rioja) . Then at breakfast it was a similar story, poor service with us having to find someone to provide cups and order coffee after 15 minutes of being seated. We were half way though our meal before it arrived. The breakfast was a much poorer selection than previously and at the Premier Inn we had visited the previous weekend, where nuts, seeds and different fruits and fruit salad was offered as well as better quality food and coffee. The self service hot food area was messy, the hash browns and black pudding were hard and crisp, sausages tasteless and the croissants few, tiny and rock hard, the bacon was left to catch fire filling the dining room with smoke. When you did have the attention of the staff they were all very nice but need to be trained better, to be aware of the customers needs and be proactive. The female who seemed to be in charge in the Steam, Bake and Grill on Friday evening needs to give a better impression as her unkempt long hair did not appear professional for a dining room. However we would not rule out staying again as the location is good, the reception and bar staff were good and the rooms are too, but we would eat elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your constructive review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am terribly sorry to hear that you feel our service and quality has depleted and would very much like to make amends of your disappointing experience. I would be grateful if you would like to contact me directly at awhiteley@deverevenues.co.uk so that we may discuss the matter and find some resolution. Many thanks for informing me of your experience with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed at hotel as part of an annual golf trip. Food was good, reception area clean and tidy, but rooms could do with a facelift. No air con and mattresses gave you that sinking feeling! Hotel has potential to improve

• Stayed July 2013
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals during your stay and that you found our Reception area clean and tidy. Thank you for your constructive comments regarding our bedrooms; we are currently in the process of refurbishment so thank you for your helpful comments. I look forward to welcoming you back and hearing how you like the changes we are making.

Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

An adequate place to stop over on the way to somewhere else. A very large sprawling hotel with lots of very long corridors, loads of rooms and conference facilities. Beds very comfortable, bathroom could have been a little better cleaned (black mould patches in grout over bath and spiders web in corners.) Breakfast busy, busy, busy with lots of choice but not a lot of quality. Lots of people golfing or business meetings. A good point was the 'station' where tea, coffee, fruit and biscuits were available to help yourself at any time. Swimming pool a long way to walk if your bedroom is at the farthest end of the hotel as ours was. The pool is in a building at the very opposite end of the car park and not within the hotel itself. However it was a very welcome relief from the blazing heat outside. The bedroom had sliding doors and therefore was stiflingly hot on a night as there was no way we could leave them open for fresh air. No aircon in the room so we had to ask for a fan. On the whole we probably wouldn't stay here again but there is nothing actually wrong with the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased that you found our hotel a nice stop over on a long journey and that you found our beds gave you a comfortable nights’ sleep. I am sorry to hear of the short falls in cleanliness you came across during your stay and will certainly flag these up with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure better quality checks are carried out before rooms become available to guests. I am glad that you found plenty of choice within our Breakfast buffet and am sorry to hear that you found the quality lacking. I will certainly notify our Head Chef of this. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary tea and coffee station that is made available to our guests 24 hours a day. I am disappointed to hear that you found the location of our swimming pool an issue but am glad that you enjoyed our leisure facilities nonetheless. I can only apologise for the lack of air conditioning in our bedrooms, this is something we are currently looking into in the refurbishment of our bedrooms, but I am so pleased our efficient staff were able to assist you with a fan during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Arrive only to find that a certain company has completely messed up my booking. Sheila the young receptionist was absolutely brilliant, organised a room and a portable fan whilst smiling all the time. Bar staff courteous and polite overall great experience

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your concise review of your experience with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased you found our staff to excel in customer service and that Sheila was able to assist you as efficiently as possible to rectify an external booking mistake. I am pleased to hear that you found the courteous and polite nature of our staff throughout the hotel and had an overall great stay. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip to Northampton - I chose to stay here because I wanted to be close but not actually in town.
Arrival was good - lots of parking - but watch your arrival time as it is busy with both Golf - Spa and conference facilities - which does mean that although the car park is large - it can get busy! Check in was fine - no problems staff are helpful.
Room - adequate - unfortunately - no air conditioning - which under normal circumstances in UK is not a big issue - BUT - unfortunately at the time of my visit we had temperatures in the high 80's ! I was provided with a fan for the room which made it a little more bearable - but without that - I really wouldn't have slept at all.
Evening meal - was disappointing - in fact it was not good at all - so if your staying - maybe check the menu first? Bar meals are also available - I didn't try these - the bar menu was adequate - the usual 'Bar Manu' food.
The grounds are very nice as you would imagine (a golf course) - The Gym and pool are very nice.
So - this place is not bad value - it is convenient for Northampton (or Silverston Race Track) - if your looking for a not too expensive place with reasonable facilities - this could be for you?

Room Tip: If you travel in hot weather arrive early and request a fan for the room - very hot and stuffy witho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel easily, were able to park quickly and it made a good location for your business trip. I am glad to hear that your check in was satisfactory and your found our staff to be helpful also. Thank you for your constructive comments regarding air conditioning in the rooms, as you quite rightly stated this would not normally be an issue for any hotel in the UK but I am glad our staff were on hand with a fan to assist. I am sorry to hear that our menu was not to your liking and would encourage you on your next visit, should you wish for something alternative, to enquire with one of our Restaurant staff and our chefs would be happy to make you an alternative dish subject to availability of ingredients. I am pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and our leisure facilities too. I am glad you found our hotel to be good value and would encourage you to follow us on Twitter or go direct to our website for more of our fantastic deals with your next stay. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Alan Whiteley

Been to De Vere Staverton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!