“If there was an option to zero rate this hotel I would have” 1 of 5 stars

De Vere Staverton Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Daventry Road, Staverton, Daventry NN11 6JT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“If there was an option to zero rate this hotel I would have”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

In my room was a card inviting me to share my experiences both with trip advisor and the manager. The manager wasn't available, shame really. I thought I would still share with you both my thoughts and thoughts of my collegue, of the staverton park.
I'm going to try and keep this brief so please take a few moments to view my photos of the staverton park. I think you will get the general idea of this shocking hotel.
The only way to discribe the way my collegue and I were spoken to at check in, was appaullling.
The room was something you would expect to find in a very cheap B&B: Old style TV, that obviously didn't work. The hair drying was screwed to the inside of the draw. One plastic cup. Bright orange walls. A rock hard bed complete with a sheet that didn't fit . Couldn't use the towells in fear of catching something. Room was freezing cold, heating switch off, and very poor lighting.
I couldn't quite belive what I saw in the resturant (please refer to photos). The food obviously wasn't eaten. Although we had paid in advance for meals we did not use the resturant again.
Very expensive bar.
No mobile signal within the entire hotel.
The pool is not in the hotel but a short walk away. Recommend you do this walk in daylight. As there is no lighting and you have to walk down a mud bank. I did fall over. All to be told the pool
was closed. Good luck in finding the pool as there is no signage what so ever.
The Manager was unavailable to speak to me. I did get to speak to the Duty manager who promised to call me back with an explanation. I think either he must have forgotten or I was unimportant, as a month has now gone by.
My company did manage to get the director of sales attention. (no doubt due to the amount of business that we put there way) We have been promised a refund, but my hopes are fading. I think its like 'I promise to ring you' Seems to be a theme running here.
My collegue and I have also been offered a nights stay FOC. We will not be using this.
This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life. Never never again.
The Staverton Park obviously do not feel that they currently need the business.

Room Tip: Unable to advise on choosing a good room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kieran W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
I am so dissapointed to review your comments. Should you wish to discuss your poor experience in person I can be contacted on kwhyte@deverevenues.co.uk This is not a reflection of the normal offering we give to our valued guests and I sincerely appologise

Yours Sincerely

Kieran Whyte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This was our first visit to Staverton, although we have stayed with De Vere before. The hotel is well appointed, welcoming and nicely decorated. The Reception staff on arrival were friendly and helpful, our room was very comfortable and clean.

We ate at the local village pub, and although the hotel was very busy with a Conference just arriving, our room was quiet and we had a good night's sleep.

I agree with the previous reviewer about breakfast - it wasn't even that busy on Saturday morning, but everything was cold except the baked beans, and they soon cooled on the stone cold plates. Really disappointing. Only two choices of juice, one of which was cranberry. No porridge (although a large cauldron of hot milk!).

On Sunday morning the breakfast room was heaving, despite us eating later in the hope that the conference people would have already been through. There were insufficient staff on duty - we got our tea/coffee, but no used crockery was removed during the meal. The food was marginally warmer, but not particularly well cooked - the sausages till anaemic, the tomatoes barely grilled. The only thing well done were the fried eggs, which sat happily congealing. Maybe the heater to keep the food warm wasn't working?

We used the pool and facilities, which were great and as numbers are limited to 20, they weren't too busy. I'm not a strong swimmer, so like having a pool of all one depth. The steam room was incredibly warm, but the hot tub was not!

The cappucino station was welcome, especially coming in after a walk on Satuirday when the temperature outside had been minus 10. And the station was regularly refilled with biscuits and fruit, thank you.

The Receptionist at check out was off hand - her terminal wasn't working, and instead of acknowledging us and asking us to wait, she avoided eye contact and kept talking to her colleague, which is just rude.

We'd stay again, but think twice about eating in.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I stopped one night here on 10th February. Paid extra for breakfast. The room was very nice, clean and well presented. Hotel was OK, clean and tidy. Staff were OK too. Breakfast on the other hand was a shambles. Food was cold, as was the tea and coffee, staff were disinterested. Would stay again, but would not eat here.

Room Tip: Find some where else to have breakfast!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

stayed here for 1 night on the 2nd february very nice rooms great good nights sleep yes they are a bit miserable on the reception area and rather abrupt but didnt have much to do with them great free tea coffee and biscuits but the bar prices are too steep i glass of red wine i pint of lager 1/2 pint og lager 12-34p far too much srvice very good in the bar we did want an early check out but i think 9-30am is too early if you dont want to be away so quick 10am would be a better time but good value for money @ 29 pound for room for 1 or 2 people would definatley stay again

Room Tip: 1st floor really quiet
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Me and my partner booked the room for £29 on the de veres website as part of their winter offers, we stayed a sunday night so it was quiet. After reading the reviews on here (which we did before we booked) we asked for a refubished room. this was just like the main picture above, big bed, a throw, flat screen TV, tea and coffee etc and generally very clean.

Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Drawbacks to the stay was that the fitness centre (gym, swimming pool, spa etc) were in the seperate building with the golf club. It meant you needed to wrap up warm to go out and take your towel with you (they dont supploy towels there unless you pay £1) The lesuire facilities were clean and quiet when we went in.

I would reccomend the hotel espeially at this value, its a cheaq gettaway.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refubished rooms when you book/check in Take a towel from home to use in the swi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last night for a cooperate / charity do.

Looked like room and many of communal areas had recently been refurbished

Good bar

Reasonable venue, although who ever had provided the PA gear needed sacking - it was awful!

Main issue was the quality of the food, which I thought was poor.

I know it can't be easy cooking for 200+ people, but I go to these types of function quite a bit and, whilst it can be a little hit and miss, I thought last night's offering was at the average end of the scale - pity

• Stayed February 2012
exter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed here on business towards the end of January 2012. Arrived with slight concern given some of the comments around the rooms and unfriendly staff. On arriving the hotel looks warm and inviting and although the check-in was done efficiently the reception staff do make you feel like they are doing you a favour. No smiles, very abrupt and got a big sigh when I dared to ask where I could get some food. Not as if they were busy I was the only person checking in ! I trotted off to my room thinking that all the negative comments about scruffy rooms would come true but I have to say the room was lovely, I think I was in the renovated part of the hotel as the room was modern and pleasant. Television was a bit dodgy kept making a bizarre noise but I want in the room that much so it did't really bother me. I had evening meal in the bar - what a difference in the staff compared to reception. The bar staff were pleasant, helpful and generally very good at their jobs. Bar Food was fairly typical I had Fish and Chips and whilst I wouldn't necessarily have it again it was ok. Breakfast was a whole different ball game, quality food and lots of it, staff again were really good. Only complaint over breakfast would be that they had a Radio Breakfast show on and whilst I am not adverse to a little music it was really far to loud over breakfast. Also ate lunch in the hotel and this too was excellent, restaurant can get quite busy but the staff deal with this and you are never left hanging around for for long. Didn't get any issue with noise and the free hot drinks all over the hotel are most welcome. Check-out was simple but again the reception staff really do let this hotel down, I think the lady that checked me out only said about 10 words to me and none of those were 'thanks for staying'' or ''Goodbye''. Overall a good hotel that I would recommend and I would stay here again but come on De Vere give your Reception Staff some customer relations training !

Room Tip: when booking ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to De Vere Staverton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!