“Excellent resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
West Lothian, United Kingdom
“Excellent resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Everything great and to hand, nothing too great a distance away - 5mins to anywhere (and we're in our 70s so not exactly fast walkers). Beautiful pools, spoiled for choice with the food, lovely gardens and superior garden room more than adequate. All the staff were friendly and helpful even the gardeners, nothing was too much for them. Maids did a great job and place always clean. Such a lovely and relaxing holiday we will be going back with the rest of the family next year! Can't believe others have found faults, some peoples expectations are far too high and will never be satisfied. Great place to go either with or without children.

Room Tip: Paying the little bit extra for the superior garden room gives a lot more space so better for a fami...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My family have just returned from a 1 week stay and we had the best time ever. The food was fantastic our favourite being the Italian which we went to 3 times the service was outstanding.
The water sports were great and lots to do with the help From "DRE" who really had a lot of time for everyone.

Be careful with one of the men selling on the beach think his name was julio he starts very high in price for his bracelets....

We went on the Speed boat tour with Captain Ed who sells the tickets on the beach $80 us per person for the day and i have to say it was great the boat ride home was fast so be ready for that....

Can not think of ONE bad thing to say about our week myself , husband and my 2 teenage boys had the best time ever............

Be ready for the trip to and from the airport it takes about 90 mins we used St Lucia Airport shuttle
$75 us each way lovely cars and a lot cheaper then others...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Claygate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel is just ok, but far from luxurious, although it has a lovely beach. Around the resort there are plastic chairs and tables that are usually left sticky from previous night until late am or even lunch time; rooms are ok but need updating, with leaking showers or stained sofas; our room was one bedroom garden view which had a view but not of the garden just staff accommodation.
Food is really average and the waterside restaurant needs serious refurbishment as the chairs, the wooden veranda are falling apart. Food there is simply awful. The beach loungers are on their last legs and people seem to be leaving their towels really early to reserve those that are ok to use.
Staff are friendly though and kids love this resort due to talking, friendly parrots, separate pool for kids with large slide and special buffet for children. As for adults - this resort was not really for us (although our 8 year old daughter loved it)....it just needed a little more love and attention and really it should not be rated as a four star resort. Yes, there is plenty to drink and eat as this is all inclusive resort but looking at some men with big bellies drinking beer in plastic cups in the sea at 10am until they cannot stand up anymore is not our idea of relaxing on the beach. The entertainment at night was attracting the same sort of drunken crowds with karaoke, talent shows etc. It is far from luxurious.
You cab however use free water skiing and other sports activities. Despite the few perks I would not go back to this resort. To be very frank the resort is a little shoddy.

Room Tip: If you are after cheap and cheerful perhaps you could enjoy this resort but please bear in mind it i...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and i just make sure that we enjoy our money when we spend. Otherwise smugglers would have been a complete waste of time. We spent a week at smugglers Cove and if it wasnt for alcohol how boring would that be? I mean the day time entertainment is ok. The entertainment staff try. Especially Chacho and chantal and Junior and Dre. Nikita seems lost most of the times.

In the evening entertainment, there is nothing going on but the smugglers Roots band, who are really hard working and try their best to make the night good. But too bad, they have been provided the worst equipment you can think of. You can see the struggles. Bravo to the singer DEZZI. He is so damn talented. Tries his best to make the crowd enjoy the night and he can sing anything. He is all that makes sense in the evening. He is alone and has no help from anyone else.
The movement dancers suck. They need to upgrade.

I think the staff of smugglers need to learn to treat and speak to each other respectfully especially bar staff and security guards. They seem so HOSTILE to eachother. I over heard two security guards speaking to the musicians like dogs kicking them out of the hotel after they had just had a brilliant performance on monday night. That was Shocking being that they are the only ones that make sense. He could have asked them to leave nicely especially in the presence of guests. I hope these security guards learn some courtesy. That was bad. I felt sorry for the three boys.

Food needs help.
Drive to and from the airport is long and tiring but good views all along.

I think smugglers needs to bring a smile to the guests by first bringing a smile to the staff.

I wont recommend this place till they upgrade both physically and staff hospitality.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Leaving St Lucia today after 10 fun-filled days at Smugglers Cove. We are sad to be leaving this beautiful island. The warmth of the people in and outside the resort has been amazing. We were blown away by the patience of the gentlemen at the water sports dept especially Mervyn, Dwight & Orlando. They taught me to water ski!
The resort is nice, food is good and facilities for kids are great. Only disappointing aspect was the evening entertainment. "Dre" was great and seemed to do a lot with limited resources but "band" scheduled to perform was cancelled several times during our stay. The alternative to Dre - Junior - wasn't very nice/good either.
Staff overall were excellent. Gerard in the restaurant and his team of servers were super. Bar staff were always pleasant despite dealing with constant demands for cocktails, etc. Javid, James & Delbert in particular were super and always pleasant in dealing with adults & kids in the lounge area.
Ownership of the resort changed while we were here - it will be interesting to see what kind of impact (if any) this will have on the standard/facilities provided. This was our 7th stay at this resort and probably our most enjoyable. We plan to return again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Slough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from Smugglers Cove this month after spending 12 wonderful nights and days at this beautiful resort. I love the village style theme of the resort and how their is something for everyone to enjoy whether it is the food, relaxation or activities. Although the hotel is quite far from the airport and secluded there is quite allot of amenities and activites so did not miss being near the town.

One of the reasons I chose this hotel was the many activties they have on offer. Chantel who was from the entertainment team shown us around the hotel on the first morning was so professional and bubbly and made you feel you wanted to take part in the activities. She is such a hardworker and always running around making sure everyone is ok and trying to involve people so we are all having fun. Chantel is a great ambassador for the hotel. I would also like to thank Cowboy the fitness instructor for the great classes in pilates, yogo and water aerobics. Although he worked us hard I feel I could do anything due to his fun approach.Cha Cho the entertainment supervisor was also a great person who always had a smile for you.I love the Happy video he created for the hotel a very talented person and an absolute star. Seeing that video would make anyone want to stay at the hotel.

I absolutely love the food at the hotel which had so much to choice with 4 restaurants to choose from. Crystal at the Cove restaurant with her brillant smile was very welcoming. My favourite restaurant was the Italian restaurant where the staff are so professional and very attentive. Especially Jennifer the supervisor for the restaurant who was always so welcoming with a beautiful smile, nothing was too much trouble for her and she always went out of her way to make sure you got what you wanted.

I meant some great people at the hotel and made some wonderful friends. On my last night at the hotel my boyfriend and I booked for the Italian restaurant but our friends who wanted to make a reservation for the same night was unable to due to the restaurant being fully booked. We spoke to Erlando and asked if would share a table who went out of her way so we could spent our last night with our friends which had made our evening so enjoyable. I really appreciate what she has done for us.

In summary I would like to say this is a fantastic hotel in a beautiful place and would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I usually don't post reviews like this as I was always taught that if you've nothing nice to say best to say nothing. This time however, I felt I had to let others know what they could expect from this resort. I too had read all the reviews prior to arriving, the horrible ones and really I didn't know what to expect once there so I wanted to shed light for others...
The drive from the airport to this resort is quite far but once there the resort does offer you quite a lot of amenities and the a la carte's along with the buffet's food is all very good, a wonderful assortment for even the pickiest of eaters. However this is no upscale resort by any means.
It is quite dated and a real hit and miss when it comes to the rooms. Some may have been updated over time but most of the rooms we saw could use a complete makeover. I'm not talking about furniture here but more to do with regular maintenance stuff. Sadly, the resort has changed hands more often that it's ever been fixed up or renovated. It's owners will have to commit a lot of money to get this place in tip top shape. I understand from the staff that they are trying to make it better.
The staff (although scarce) are wonderful and pleasant, always working with a smile on their face and doing their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The Italian restaurant will let you pre-order a pizza. They'll have it ready for you to pick up and enjoy while relaxing on the beach or pool side. If a BBQ is more your thing they do offer lunch on the beach, weather permitting. It's set up by the Buffet restaurant within distance to the beach.
This resort would be ideal for a family vacation as you could relax and let your kids be kids (all ages). Everything is in close proximity, restaurant, buffet, pools and beach. For us (2 adults 50+), It was more like being away at the cottage but with the added bonus of having someone to do the cooking and cleaning. We've stayed at AC 3 and 4 star resorts that would have us thinking we were at a 5 star. This is not one of those resorts.
What upset us most was that we upgraded our room at time of booking and when we saw our appointed room (436) we were quite taken by surprise. It was very small with just the basic furnishings, bed, side tables, a desk and chair. The bathroom was clean but in need of some repairs. A set of new taps could have made the bathroom sparkle a little, like a said nothing elaborate but it was clean. We only stayed one night in this room as we discovered our patio door would not open and therefore couldn't make use of the terrace. Too bad, the location wasn't ideal either as it was very close to the septic system near by, it did offer a nice pool view.
We upgraded again, this time to a suite (105). A much bigger unit, still dated but liveable and clean, although further away from the amenities. It was like being at the cottage and it was in a quiet location.
All in all we had a good holiday just surprised when comparing this resort to other's that we've stayed at with similar ratings. We've been to the Dominican, Antigua, Jamaica and would definitely not give this a 3-1/2 based on our comparisons..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!