“WOW!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
London
“WOW!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

WOW!!!! I can honestly say that all these negative bad reviews are 100% rubbish!! I booked this resort for my honeymoon and some of the comments made on trip advisor left me regretting my choice.

I can now laugh at these comments because they are simply not true!!

Travelling to the resort - I took a helicopter when we arrived as it was our honeymoon which I booked through our travel agent (£250) this took 12-15 minutes followed by a 10 min cab. Well worth the spend. When we left we got a cab, which takes 90 minutes, definitely worth doing as you see some amazing sites. I am one of the worst persons for travel sickness - but this journey did not leave me feeling sick. St Lucia is a developing country so yes the roads are not the best but the landscape certainly makes up for it.

Resort - Beautiful, natural surroundings. By no means 5 star ritz appeal however superb value for money and a solid 4 star. Rooms very very clean and well air conditioned. Gardens and surroundings well maintained. Beach and pool etc constantly cleaned and well kept.

Food - three restaurants to choose from. A themed buffet every night ranging from mexican, Indian to local cuisine. I can honestly say the food is up there with the best. An Italian which is delicious and then the waterside grill, which sits on top of the sea, simply amazing.

Service - 10/10 very friendly polite and well mannered staff. Regardless of whether you tip or not they are incredibly attentive. Your glass is never empty and the bar staff are a good laugh.

I cannot recommend this resort enough. It deserves more credit than all these negative comments.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The resort is 1hr 30mins away from the airport. We were unlucky to have a horrible driver. The road was very windy and he was driving erratically. I have never ever been car sick in my life, but this time I got really sick. I can easily say it was the worst drive ever. It made me to not ever book a resort that far from the airport. The resort is ok, but very run down. It is in desperate need of renovation. Rooms are somewhat clean (in surface). The maid cleaned the most obvious things. Our bathroom counter was never cleaned; you could see the soap and water spots we made the first day. They stayed there during our whole week. She never moved the soap, or things in the counter to clean..and I tipped her very single day.

Staff: The overall attitude was "oh well"; many waitresses didn't give a damn about customers. I was one of the few people that tipped. I literally tipped every day, every meal. Do you think that made a difference? I also had brought packs with 6 perfume samples -expensive brands. I would give to the waitress or bartender in addition to the tip. It made no difference. They would take their time to bring the drink to you at the buffet. The waitresses and the staff who serve drinks at the bar would rotate. The two bar tenders who were decent and did their job well were Chever and Kaisha. They were always smiling and had a great attitude. I wish all the staff learn from them. There was another bartender, Elfrida, who although made good drinks, she should not be at the bar. She did not care that people on vacation wanted the music playing. As soon as she came to work at the swim up bar pool, she would turn the music off. Despite the fact that many people would ask her to turn on the music, she would make excuses after excuses and never turned it on. Thank God, other people were not like that. I went and complained at the Guest services. She talked to someone on the phone and told me that the iphone was being updated at the moment.. I said.. it's been off for almost 2 hrs. How long does it take? She then told me go to the Piton bar to talk to the Bartender's manager (Brian). I said," I came and told you, you should take care of it". Regardless, after waiting another 30 mins, I decided to go to talk to Brian. He said he will take care of it. I didn't see him come by or the music turn on. When Elfrida's shift was over, the one who replaced her turned on the music. This went on every day. Very disappointing. Overall attitude of the staff was not good. Some looked that they didn't want to be there.

Pools and Beach: Pools are old and the bottoms are very stained. They look gross. I thought they had sand in the bottom, but after the pool guy cleaned them, I realized, it wasn't sand, but it was stain. I have never seen pools in conditions like that. The best pool was in the swim up bar. It was in a better shape than the other pools. They do clean them every morning (sometime after 8 o'clock you see them start cleaning and you waiting for them to finish to go to the pool).
The beach is very, very small. Swimming area is the size of a large pool. It is roped off.. People swim outside the rope area, not being aware that it is roped off for a reason. I love the salt water, but I didn't swim much at the beach. I was very disappointed at the size of the beach and the swimming area. Also, the water was not as clear as in other Caribbean islands. We spent most of the time at the swim up bar pool.

Food: I can say it was the best thing in this resort. It was decent, nothing fancy but good. However, the food at Trattoria seemed that it wasn't freshly cooked. The pasta was always soggy, not al dente. The first time I ate the snapper at the Waterside, it was really good, The second time was very dry and overcooked. I couldn't finish it. Not sure if it was freshly cooked either. The buffet at the Cove was good. No complains for buffet food.

Grounds; Very beautiful. There were many areas with beautiful flowers. There were cats around the Cove restaurant, but they were not a nuisance. They would never come near you to beg for food. There were some people who would give them some food. It didn't bother me. There are plenty of mosquitoes there, so bring spray. It rained there every other day- very disappointed :(. One day after the rain, there were many mosquitoes at night. I counted the mosquito bites, I had 31 in one leg and 17 in the other. They didn't itch much though, but my legs looked like I had a reaction.

Last day: We received a letter in the room that said that they had limited courtesy rooms for the day of check out, and if we wanted one, we should contact the front desk on the day of check out. So, on that day, I woke up early and called the front desk at 6:55 am. The person at the front desk picks up the phone and hangs up without saying a word. Then I call again.. no answer..no matter how long it rang. So, I decided to go to the front desk- our room was not close. When I arrived there, they had just changed shifts (that explained why they were not picking up the phone, they didn't want to bother with the last minute things- again it shows their attitude). I was the first one to register my name, so I had the choice to request the best time for me. I requested a room from 3-3:30 pm. We had to leave at 4:00 pm. At 2:45 we go there, and I let them know I am waiting for the key. The guy said we will give it to you at 3:00 because someone else is using the room. Well, after many requests, I got the key at 3:20. We go to the room only to find used towels. We didn't know we had to request clean towels. I don't know their system, but they should give you clean towels with the key. Overall I wasn't happy at all with the service at this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here March 2014. We had a lovely time the resort it is quite beautiful and well maintained. There are great views from the many pool areas. There was a good choice and quality of food in the four restaurants (as long as you have no allergies or restrictions), the only meals I didn’t enjoy were at the Italian restaurant as both my meals there I found the food over salted (although the tiramisu was nice).

The only place the resort is let down is by the quality of the rooms, ours was a standard and afraid the wear and tear showed up, the small bathroom had broken tiles, a really stained bath and sink and unimpressive shower. The bedroom showed it’s age. The resort is rated 3½ star but the room is only 2 (3 at a pinch), an update of the room is desperately needed. I’ve no idea what the non-standard rooms are like, if they’re better it might be worth paying for the better rooms, the standard was a real let down.

The service was friendly but a bit slow in the restaurants and bars. Housing keeping were quick to respond to problems, sadly we had to call them almost on a daily bases to get towels for our room.

It’s was lovely having a choice of so many pools. The resort did have problem with the stock of clean beach towels.

WIFI free but only available in the public areas not in your room.

Top marks for the fish, absolutely tasty.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

After reading mixed reviews, I arrived at Smugglers Cove with an open mind. I was wrong. On our last night here & I can't wait to leave!!!

This place is literally falling apart. Reno'd pool areas & granite countertops - that's it. It smells like sewage at the Pitons Bar - enough to make your stomach turn. Only a couple of blocks of rooms are reno'd, the rest are a min of 30 yrs of age. AC leaks, toilets flush after 3 tries & there is NO bottled water in any of your rooms. The water pressure is also poor in the shower. You will find a crusty looking mini-fridge with NOTHING in it.

Site seeing, Weather & beach: Beautiful. Paradise. St. Lucia is a gem.

Staff: either really friendly or so frustrating to deal with. Staff need to be sent to training on client service. They are not equal in friendliness nor all a true representation of the facility they work for.

Our room: NOT as advertised by Transit Holidays. What you see is not what you get. They have falsely advertised even their standard rooms. We also inquired with the manager on site, several times about the quality of rooms advertised v. the unappealing, & still haven't received a response. Our door unlocked in the middle of the night & unknowingly we were sleeping with our door wide open!!! I also paid extra to get this room. It's been insulting.

Food: it's all right. The buffet has no presentation factor but you will eat just fine. The restaurants are all right. You will eat too, but you will not get a smile & if you request something out of their lazy boundaries, certain staff servers will cut you curve eye - children too!

The resort has cockroaches in the main lobby. They also have dozens of cats on board to keep mice & rats away. The cats also use the beach as their washroom & kitty litter box - especially the volleyball court.

The beach vendors are sharks just like any, so buyer beware.

Overall, you get what you pay for. I paid quite a bit for all my inconveniences, apparently I didn't pay enough.

Smugglers Cove has in the interim exchanged ownership so you will be living in Smugglers purgatory whilst they figure their bottoms from their elbows.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Arrived to a beautiful scenario and friendly staff. Amazing food and service from the start. Plenty to do beside relaxing by the beach. Enjoyed the activites and entertainment staff provided. High quality service with very polite and helpful staff. We definitely want to come back!

• Stayed March 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We loved the Smuggler's Cove. The overall layout is open and appealing, the staff are superb - local friendliness and generosity to the fore! - and the food was excellent. There is enough variety (and locally flavoured dishes included) to all their restaurants. The beach is a little small, but clean and enjoyable. Some room features could do with a small fix, but overall - recommend this highly for families looking for a break. Do as little or as much as you want, as they say - it's fabulous.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Having loved St Lucia and Smugglers Cove Resort on a previous visit with family, we decided to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary there. The staff were all great, especially the staff in the restaurants. Nothing was too much trouble (even a garlic allergy) and to have smiling, friendly staff around in such stunning surroundings really was Paradise on Earth!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!