“Great time spent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Cap Estate
Trinidad
“Great time spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

it was great wish it was longer i enjoy every bit of it. the food was good the drinks was the ideal thing to start and end ah day right. the rooms were always clean love that the warm and friendly staff on board thumbs up to that. love the idea that there were activities for the kids to keep them occupied. i enjoyed my 4night stay wish it could not have ended......

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

1,853 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
Nortampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We had a great 7 night stay here. The food was really nice throughout our stay. The service was impeccable from all the staff. The room was massive, spotlessly clean, but as has already been said they are not modern, that said they were fine. If you like chain type hotels, these rooms won't be your idea of good, the rooms are more traditional. Ours was certainly not shabby in any way.

We were in room 134. I got a decent wifi signal in our room, in the main bar, the adult only pool and the lobby.

The drinks were fine. They tend to use a single measure and top up with mixer for a long drink (so I can understand why some say the drinks seem weak), however the bar staff will put extra spirits in if you ask.

We enjoyed the food in all the restaurants. Just a matter of your preference. Make sure you book your restaurants when you arrive. We did like the idea of an adult only restaurant. There were also some adult only pools.

The water sorts and entertainment were well organised.

When I go to St Lucia again, I would only bother taking US dollars, which seems their currency of choice rather than Eastern Caribbean Dollars. Everything was priced in US.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Excellent food, especially in the three a la carte restaurants. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. We don't like pools, and there were many different ones, but we always found somewhere quiet within the extensive grounds. Plenty to do on site for most people. Children especially well taken care of in their own part of the grounds which keeps everyone happy. The gardens are vast and it would be very costly to keep them pristine but they are clean and shelter numerous birds which were all nesting whilst we were there. Plenty of shady places to walk. Grumbles - not many - the coffee was too weak - biting insects were a problem both day and night so be careful to keep slapping on the repellent - entertainment too noisy so move to a quieter part if it bothers you. Generally the whole staff are really trying to provide the perfect holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms are all ground floor and cover a vast area so be specific about how close to amenities you wis...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I just got back from Smugglers Cove. It was our first time and we would probablly return again. When we arrived, we were not given a drink like most reviews referenced - and I would have loved one. We were waited on immediately though and in our room within no time. One thing I stress that I didn't see mentioned much - MOSQUITOS!!!!!! We didn't really see them , but they sure saw me. I almost ended up the hospital because I couldn't open my swollen eyes. Not alot of people got the reactions my irish skin did, but there was a handful of us. My advice - wear the spray even if your not getting bit - my bites mostly happened over night. We realized there was an opening in our room that they could get in through so we asked for our room to be changed. They took care of tihs immediately. We got a room with a beautiful view however the AC wasn't working nearly as well as the other room. They came a few times to work on it and even offered another room change but we passed on that. They were very accomodating and probablly felt really bad for me based on how I looked from the bites! The food was wonderful. If we wanted to grab on the go or not get fancy, the buffet was always great. I recommend making reservations upon arrival to visit all of the restaurants - as they were all so yummy. Guys will need boat shoes, pants and a collared shirt at most except the buffet. We got a little hungry in between meals and later at night after dinner, so stock up on munchies somewhere along the way. There are some in the gift shop if need be. The water is good - so no worries about needing to drink bottled, which I only drink at home and was worried about. It was better than the water at home! As far as the bars - the bartenders were all great and the lines go quick, if there is one. We are there to relax, so just relax and it will go by quick if there is a wait : ) Don't forget to ask for A BBC - my favorite drink there! Piton, the local beer, is like Corona it was yummy but a very light beer. The entertainment was good but didn't change up much, which was ok with us but maybe got boring for others. There are some really cute huts located in the middle of the resort that sells lots of gifts and dresses, sunglasses, etc - this was a nice bonus that I didn't know about prior. The sunset walk was nice - I recommend doing that. We used the kayaks too and did the banana boat ride - all fun. Call the waiters, etc by their first name - it helps! We tipped our favorites at the end - and we definately had our favorites - they took care of us all week - my favorite of all was Kerzel - she made me ice coffee everymorning (I drink this daily, don't like hot). She was so sweet! Towels for the beach/Pool - we traded ours in each night and my husband put them out on chairs each morning because I burn easy and there aren't a bunch of umbrellas. We were able to get one every day though by going out early in the morning and saving a spot. Many people did this so we didn't feel bad. This resort is not top of the line - it could use some spruccing up - but it didn't bother us at all. We don't need a 5 star resort and the price was right! The people and service was excellant and we would recommend this place and visit again! Do some excursions - we did zip lining, volcano, sulphur springs/mud bath, catamaran, trip into the city (could have done with out that one). Overall - great trip, great resort!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Me and my husband visited smugglers from 10th Feb - 25th. I was a little concerned by the review read on trip advisor, but it seems they was nothing to worry about.

Compared to other hotels, the land which Smugglers is on is beautiful, green, and spaced out. No tower blocks of rooms.

The food was lovely! Couldn't fault it. Never got bored of the food throughout our 2 week stay, always something slightly different on offer, lovely fresh salads, fish, meat. Each night the buffet had a theme for example, Mexican, Indian etc. There were also 3 restaurants which you have to pre-book (sometimes 3 days in advance to ensure a time before 9pm) - Italian, Waterside and Cafe Asia. Again food was faultless.

All spirits were included in the 'all inclusive' deal. Lovely cocktails. Lots of different watersports also included.

There were some things that needed maintaining at the hotel for example a couple of the toilet doors didn't have locks on. I visited the gym one morning which really needed aircon, so I couldn't stay in there for too long. But nothing to moan about and give the hotel a bad review.

Our room was cleaned and tidied every day, and although we booked a standard room, it was very spacious.

Pigeon Island is also about a half hour/45 minute walk from the hotel.. just turn right until you get to a turning on the right that indicates where Pigeon Island is located.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any of our friends. We had a great stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I had an excellent time at this resort for our honeymoon. The room we were assigned was very smoky. We called reception and, within minutes, we got a wonderful room replacement. The restaurants were divine, especially the food at the buffet restaurant, The Cove. We enjoyed all the local meals. Sometimes we got confused as to what to try. The variety was so great. The classy Café Asia was wonderful for our first date as a married couple. We met different couples enjoying their wedding anniversaries and so many families having fun.

The only thing we didn't like was the fact that there were cats on the compound staring at us eating our food. It was quite uncomfortable, but other than that, it was fun. Kayaking, and other sports were available as well. We would DEFINITELY visit again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Canaries were perfect as it is easy access to everything in the resort.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sutton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed the last week of January and had gorgeous weather. The resort has beautifully maintained lawns and gardens. The flowers are breathtaking. Our room was very nice, but the water pressure was awful- taking a shower was a chore. The food and drinks were good- just ask for top shelf liquor when ordering. The use of the beach amenities was great- kayaks, hoby cats, kite surf boards, and water skiing. They also had a great banana boat ride. The evening entertainment needs to be improved upon as well as music during the day- no steel drums, really?? Overall a very relaxing trip which is what we wanted.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!