“A great vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
Chicago, Illinois
“A great vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We just returned from our stay at Smugglers Cove. We were concerned about some of the reviews but thoroughly enjoyed the resort. The food and drinks were very good. There were many activities, including water sports and nature walks. Cowboy was in charge of the fitness program and made working out fun. We took a number of Cowboy's classes and liked all of them. There might be more glamorous resorts but we found the activities and the staff more than made up for it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
Roydon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Went as a family with 2 adult children in late November. As always there could be improvement, the rooms are looking a little tired for example, but we had a brilliant time. The entertainment staff were really friendly, great fun and very welcoming, the location was perfect, with good beach facilities and activities literally 5 yards from the pool and hotel amenities (bar and loo !!), and the food, particularly in the A La Carte restaurants, was fantastic. Would definitely recommend Smugglers Cove.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Belleville, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

St. Lucia has always been highly recommended by many friends as a must see destination but a bit higher priced than we can usually budget for our yearly vacation. As we were browsing our options Smuggler's Cove came up within our preferred price range, so being wary of such an inexpensive price we read every review available. Noting that most complaints were about minor things(in our opinion) concerning the need for updated rooms etc, we decided it was certainly worth the risk based on the good reviews that were also posted.
We have just returned and have absolutely nothing to complain about. We found our room to be completely satisfactory as far as a decent bed to sleep in, hot water for shower, potable tap water and then set out to enjoy the rest of the resort and Island. The food was amazing every meal! Service was excellent the entire resort was kept very clean, very nice beach and many pools. We would most definitely return to Smuggler's Cove so we could enjoy St Lucia again at a very affordable price. If these types of resorts had to keep spending thousands on renovations to please the snobs that complain about cosmetic issues then they would have to charge the high prices of the other more elaborate resorts. Everything was perfectly acceptable as it is and actually does look exactly like every picture we saw previous to our trip.Cheerz to the great staff that worked very hard everyday to make sure everyone was happy! all other guests we spoke with also agreed that we went there to enjoy the weather and culture and not inspect corners in rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This resort is at the north end of the island (gets the least rain) making it about one and a half hours from Hewonnara Airport. The resort has cottages of up to six suites or rooms spread over a large area. If you google this resort, you'll find a site map that shows five groupings/levels of rooms.The septic tank for the resort is situated just south of the nursery and the overflow or drainage trench runs east in front of cottages #60, #61 and #62. This could be a problem when the resort is fully occupied. We were a family group renting four suites/rooms in a six unit cottage just after New Years, so the resort was only 60-70% occupied. We had no problems with getting timely drinks or service but I could see how this would be a problem during peak season. The hotel did not give us the upgraded rooms we paid for and did not reply to e-mail enquiries prior to our arrival. This shows a lack of customer service from the front office. What we got were units thirty years old in dire need of refurbishing. Water saving bathroom fixtures were pointless, since you need to let the tap run 5-10 mins to get hot water. The temp control in our unit was hard to operate but service was quick when we had a leaking air conditioner. The safe can handle an i-pad but no laptop bigger than 11.75X8X.75 inches. The TV plug is 110 volt for charging purposes & all other outlets are 220v. The only redeeming value of the place was the layout of pools, buffet and office at the beach. Young families will appreciate how things are close together there. Take water shoes for the rocks once you're in the water. Snorkeling revealed little coral or sponge but I counted at least half a dozen species of fish on my first outing. I would only recommend this resort to young families who don't have a lot to spend. Looks like the owner/banker skimmed off the profits for many years, without re-investing in the place. Take insect repellent to ward off sand flies during the later afternoon and mosquitos that carry the annoying chikungunya virus.

Room Tip: Avoid unit close to the septic tank or drainage ditch during peak season.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GLOUCESTER
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This hotel needs a lot of work done to it. The lounge area were you sit in the evening is not up to standard and very basic also no waiter service in the evening. Rooms need to be refurb end. The beach is terrible not at all what the picture in the brochure shows. Very mediocre holiday definitely not worth the money paid .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have just returned from the beautiful, mystical island of St. Lucia. Though, this time I didn't stay at Smugglers, I stayed at Coco Palm which I've written my very first review for, that prompted me to voice my opinion and defend Smugglers Cove.
My daughter and I booked a two week holiday via Tropical Sky(Zach) 22nd July- 5th August 2012. On arrival we were given a very warm welcome, a drink and a cold flannel. Though we were the last to be escorted to our room, it was well worth the wait. We were given room 467 in the Anse La Raye section which had a lovely garden patio, flat screen tv, a fridge, a super king sized bed and a double bed for my 12 year old daughter. The bathroom had a few ants but was very clean. I was armed with 2 cans of BOP in my luggage so I had no worries about any bugs or mosquitoes!!
The room was ideally situated because it wasn't too far from the lounge, beach or reception which was perfect if my daughter wanted to return or go out on her own. We both left our room to check out our surroundings and meet the staff, who were all very friendly and professional. I went to the beach hut to sign my daughter up for the next days water sports which I was advised to do by a member of staff, I also collected a couple more beach towels.
There was a variety of drinks on offer, and due to a little cold I asked the barman to make me Tiposh-(strong white rum, lime and honey which had to downed in one to kill the cold!) He was delighted and shocked by my request as it is usually a local remedy.
I then went into the dining area and met the chef and told him about my dietry requirements to which he said nothing would be a problem.
We got ready with excitement for dinner, before leaving we sprayed the room.(Bop)
Dinner was great, there was lots of choice and the waiting staff were friendly and happy to please. No complaints at all!!!
Breakfast was lovely- lots of fresh fruit, basically there was something for everyone.
Lunch- lots of choice simply delicious, as was the beach grill.
My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the water sports, especially the inflatable rides! There was never any problem in waiting -though I did hear people complain about that and the lack of beach towels. I think they should of organised themselves a bit better, communicate and don't expect people to spoon feed them! Whilst we are on the complaint issue, I've got a few, not about Smugglers or the staff, but the holidaymakers;
One thing that really made me upset was the fact that some people were soooo rude to the staff. There were no please, thank you's or eye contact. Some people treated the staff with such distaste that I often wondered whether they even liked to be in the company of people of colour!! So much so that my daughter wanted to say something!!
People like that should try looking in the mirror before they write reviews about moody, rude staff because as far as I'm concerned you get what you give.
I did have to remind a couple of people of how to say please and thank you and told them that I would report them to the management. This is not Downtown Abbey or Roots!!

Anyway, lets get back to something nice, the entertainment. That was ok but could of been better as there are so many talented St.Lucian bands that could have made each night a roaring success, but all in all a pleasant evening was always had.
One thing that was missing for me was the delightful sounds of a steel band, that would have set the scene and been more audible than the music they selected. Oh, and it would of been a great idea to have a mini Gros Islet Jump Up in the hotel, complete with a Good DJ, grilled chicken,fish,bakes and Spiced rum on a Friday night for those who weren't quite brave enough to go to the real one.( Something to think about Smugglers Cove)
We really enjoyed our stay at Smugglers, it was truly delicious and I will return. A Diamond in the Rough suits this establishment, and with time and a little TLC in places it will be a multi faceted Diamond. So all those haters, complainers and those who lack communication skills should think about going to Barbados or Benidorm next year.

Room Tip: Room 467 Anse La Raye Garden Patio. Excellent location!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tavistock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My family of 5 - including 3 teens - plus my inlaws had a great time at Smuggler's Cove from December 22-29/13. I do not understand why people complain when they are visiting a developing country. No one got sick, we gained weight, the drinks were plentiful, we did not have to cook, so... something must be right - correct? And we had FUN there!

Also, the tropical depression that pounced on the country when we were there on Christmas Eve was devastating to its residents. There was a water shortage on the island and some things had to change - like no blender drinks, eating off of plastic, plastic cutlery - but oh well! We hardly felt the effects of the flooding.

Bottom line - we recommend it.

Rooms: Very basic and clean. Why do you need a fridge? Why are you in your room that much anyway? The A/C in our kids room was not working and they worked diligently to fix it.

Restaurants: The pizza at the Italian could be take out which is a neat feature. The buffet was fine - you always found something you liked. Why do you need a/c in the restaurants?

Staff: They were nice. They did a great job. If you were nice to them, they smiled. They spoke english and they got you whatever you asked for quickly.

Pools: They have a cool waterfall pool where the water flows over steps you can walk on. They have a swim up bar that does not have seats. The pools were warm enough for me to actually walk in and that's all I want.

Beach: Although it would have been nice to take longer walks on their beach, this was geographically not possible. And the water sports centre includes banana boat rides and water skiing and the kids liked that. You need to line up about 8:20 to make your reservation. Their volleyball court was slightly shaded so we reduced our sun burns and we spent hours there. That's the place we made alot of friends and that's how you make your vacation better by meeting new people.

Drinks: Definitely were NOT watered down AT ALL. Whoa! Most of the time they were too strong. Try their long island ice teas and you'll be drunk by 11 am.

Entertainment: Typical resort entertainment. Bring cards and games and sit by the pool to play games with a group. Make your own fun! I signed my kids up for the fashion show and they had a blast.

Overall: The hotel is fine. They will even come and pick you up from your room with their shuttle if you call. Could I find things to complain about - probably - but we have great happy memories and to me, that's the whole point of a vacation.

One thing you will not get used to is the constant chirping of the tree frogs at night - and I mean ALL NIGHT. Bring ear plugs!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!