“"Loved Smugglers-A Diamond in the Rough"” 5 of 5 stars

Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cap Estates, Cap Estate, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
London, United Kingdom
“"Loved Smugglers-A Diamond in the Rough"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have just returned from the beautiful, mystical island of St. Lucia. Though, this time I didn't stay at Smugglers, I stayed at Coco Palm which I've written my very first review for, that prompted me to voice my opinion and defend Smugglers Cove.
My daughter and I booked a two week holiday via Tropical Sky(Zach) 22nd July- 5th August 2012. On arrival we were given a very warm welcome, a drink and a cold flannel. Though we were the last to be escorted to our room, it was well worth the wait. We were given room 467 in the Anse La Raye section which had a lovely garden patio, flat screen tv, a fridge, a super king sized bed and a double bed for my 12 year old daughter. The bathroom had a few ants but was very clean. I was armed with 2 cans of BOP in my luggage so I had no worries about any bugs or mosquitoes!!
The room was ideally situated because it wasn't too far from the lounge, beach or reception which was perfect if my daughter wanted to return or go out on her own. We both left our room to check out our surroundings and meet the staff, who were all very friendly and professional. I went to the beach hut to sign my daughter up for the next days water sports which I was advised to do by a member of staff, I also collected a couple more beach towels.
There was a variety of drinks on offer, and due to a little cold I asked the barman to make me Tiposh-(strong white rum, lime and honey which had to downed in one to kill the cold!) He was delighted and shocked by my request as it is usually a local remedy.
I then went into the dining area and met the chef and told him about my dietry requirements to which he said nothing would be a problem.
We got ready with excitement for dinner, before leaving we sprayed the room.(Bop)
Dinner was great, there was lots of choice and the waiting staff were friendly and happy to please. No complaints at all!!!
Breakfast was lovely- lots of fresh fruit, basically there was something for everyone.
Lunch- lots of choice simply delicious, as was the beach grill.
My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the water sports, especially the inflatable rides! There was never any problem in waiting -though I did hear people complain about that and the lack of beach towels. I think they should of organised themselves a bit better, communicate and don't expect people to spoon feed them! Whilst we are on the complaint issue, I've got a few, not about Smugglers or the staff, but the holidaymakers;
One thing that really made me upset was the fact that some people were soooo rude to the staff. There were no please, thank you's or eye contact. Some people treated the staff with such distaste that I often wondered whether they even liked to be in the company of people of colour!! So much so that my daughter wanted to say something!!
People like that should try looking in the mirror before they write reviews about moody, rude staff because as far as I'm concerned you get what you give.
I did have to remind a couple of people of how to say please and thank you and told them that I would report them to the management. This is not Downtown Abbey or Roots!!

Anyway, lets get back to something nice, the entertainment. That was ok but could of been better as there are so many talented St.Lucian bands that could have made each night a roaring success, but all in all a pleasant evening was always had.
One thing that was missing for me was the delightful sounds of a steel band, that would have set the scene and been more audible than the music they selected. Oh, and it would of been a great idea to have a mini Gros Islet Jump Up in the hotel, complete with a Good DJ, grilled chicken,fish,bakes and Spiced rum on a Friday night for those who weren't quite brave enough to go to the real one.( Something to think about Smugglers Cove)
We really enjoyed our stay at Smugglers, it was truly delicious and I will return. A Diamond in the Rough suits this establishment, and with time and a little TLC in places it will be a multi faceted Diamond. So all those haters, complainers and those who lack communication skills should think about going to Barbados or Benidorm next year.

Room Tip: Room 467 Anse La Raye Garden Patio. Excellent location!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
Tavistock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My family of 5 - including 3 teens - plus my inlaws had a great time at Smuggler's Cove from December 22-29/13. I do not understand why people complain when they are visiting a developing country. No one got sick, we gained weight, the drinks were plentiful, we did not have to cook, so... something must be right - correct? And we had FUN there!

Also, the tropical depression that pounced on the country when we were there on Christmas Eve was devastating to its residents. There was a water shortage on the island and some things had to change - like no blender drinks, eating off of plastic, plastic cutlery - but oh well! We hardly felt the effects of the flooding.

Bottom line - we recommend it.

Rooms: Very basic and clean. Why do you need a fridge? Why are you in your room that much anyway? The A/C in our kids room was not working and they worked diligently to fix it.

Restaurants: The pizza at the Italian could be take out which is a neat feature. The buffet was fine - you always found something you liked. Why do you need a/c in the restaurants?

Staff: They were nice. They did a great job. If you were nice to them, they smiled. They spoke english and they got you whatever you asked for quickly.

Pools: They have a cool waterfall pool where the water flows over steps you can walk on. They have a swim up bar that does not have seats. The pools were warm enough for me to actually walk in and that's all I want.

Beach: Although it would have been nice to take longer walks on their beach, this was geographically not possible. And the water sports centre includes banana boat rides and water skiing and the kids liked that. You need to line up about 8:20 to make your reservation. Their volleyball court was slightly shaded so we reduced our sun burns and we spent hours there. That's the place we made alot of friends and that's how you make your vacation better by meeting new people.

Drinks: Definitely were NOT watered down AT ALL. Whoa! Most of the time they were too strong. Try their long island ice teas and you'll be drunk by 11 am.

Entertainment: Typical resort entertainment. Bring cards and games and sit by the pool to play games with a group. Make your own fun! I signed my kids up for the fashion show and they had a blast.

Overall: The hotel is fine. They will even come and pick you up from your room with their shuttle if you call. Could I find things to complain about - probably - but we have great happy memories and to me, that's the whole point of a vacation.

One thing you will not get used to is the constant chirping of the tree frogs at night - and I mean ALL NIGHT. Bring ear plugs!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The Food at this All inclusive was superb, Fresh, tasty and the best I have ever eaten in I find All-inclusive venues tend to be very repetitive but this was not the case 5 star food.

The complex itself was very good, with seven pools and three restaurants, The Cove with the buffet the waitress were wonderful Lorena, Selma, Vicky, They lugged two high chairs to our table every mealtime with a smile, topped up our wine and were generally wonderful, nothing was too much trouble. The cove had fans but because of the heat I wished it had air-con however that would enclose your view of the sea and the experience of dining al fresco. We used the spa facilities for massages they were the same as in the UK and had UK prices.

Italian trattoria on the complex was a delight to eat in, great food and perfect service. The Waterside grill was also an excellent place to eat, and a perfect location, jutting out over the Caribbean. What let this complex down more than anything was the fact that it is for families.. With it being all inclusive, the British problem of heavy drinking, noisy and inconsiderate people were very evident. The evening entertainment was pretty poor and repetitive.

We did a trip on a boat down the western side of the island to Soufriere, round the Pitons. It was a great trip and included a visit to the volcano, tropical gardens and rain forest, as well as the natural springs. A truly good day out. Something to bear in mind is the humidity.. St. Lucia is often described as "paradise” and I would tend to agree, Fantastic Holiday great way to celebrate my 40th.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This resort has been pretty much reviewed correctly bearing in mind the feedback should be based on the Caribbean standard, with this in mind and you may not be dissapointed.
We met some really great people (Bill and Jayne, Brent and Anne - if you are reading this, it was a pleasure and all too quick).
Having returned to old blighty where daylight never seems to appear for long on reflection the important points to make are that the whole resort needs a make over. The pools really need serious attention. Staff were non exsistent at some of the bars and really not as attentive as you would expect, management of the resort need to take action as they have good people who need direction.
Plastic glasses, cutlery and plates were provided due to a water shortage due to the terrible weather over Christmas Eve but fair play to the St Lucian people, we could learn a lot from their tenacity and way of life!
Overall 2 weeks is too long at this resort, one week is sufficient
Please be aware as I had my credit card cloned.
Highlight - weather (following the storms) amosphere - completley chilled.
No negatives, just to repeat the management need to get a grip with this resort - and quick.

Room Tip: Garden room in the Canaries - great bed, shower and bath. Good set up.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorette, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks at this resort and would definitely return. I don't understand the negative reviews and am wondering what their expectations are OR whether some are "fake" reviews.

The resort is a little dated, however, it is well maintained and CLEAN. Our room was a good size and the bed comfy. On the first night we noted the a/c wasn't working too well and it was promptly fixed the next day. The TV was a 42" with cable - quite nice for the evenings that we wanted to stay in.

There are 4 swimming pools, one has a water slide and designed for family use. All of the pools were cleaned daily and not over chlorinated. The slide was excellent. Even though we didn't have children we made a stop for a few slides every day.

The resort is situated on a small cove. Beach is a wee bit rocky in places, however, no complaints as it was beautiful, a pleasure to swim in and also cleaned of debris every day as well as throughout the day. All water sports are free and that includes the water skiing. There is a separate area away from the beach, designated for snorkelling. I found it unsuitable for either swim or snorkelling as there was a lot of sea grass and sea urchins and not much else to see.

The staff was welcoming and very friendly. Based upon my travel experience over the years I consider the staff at this resort both attentive and genuine. There are many excellent and hard working people at Smugglers from the wait staff to the beach people. I can’t say enough nor mention everyone. As with every vacation it’s the people that really make the difference and the experience. Thank you Selma, Keitha, Thomas, Nicole, Delbert, Ginny, Vince (aka my brother from another mother), Cynthia - just too many others to say. On our last day many of the staff came by to hug us and say goodbye.

The food was good. Breakfast was a bit repetitive; however, with a little imagination it was easy to change things up. Fresh homemade pastries EVERY day, yogurt, fruit and the basics; eggs, bacon and the like. Its breakfast - what can I say.

The lunch and dinners in the buffet made up for breakfast. Wow, can't say enough....always 4 or 5 salads, fresh fish cooked up different ways (best fried fish I've ever eaten) as well as chicken, beef and lamb - think curried, roasted and every other way you can imagine - one day there was even a suckling pig. Amazing. Always cooked veggies along with some gorgeous local side dishes like Christophine with coconut milk, ground provisions, and okra - just to name a few. For the picky eaters there was always a pasta dish. Also a barbeque of burgers on the beach every day with all the fixings. Again, I don't know what people are complaining about. The restaurants were good and we didn't have a bad meal there either. There was something for everyone no matter your taste or lack thereof.

Got stinking drunk a few times so don't believe the drinks were watered down. Best way to tell is to drink straight shots and they were pretty good!

Lastly, I highly recommend booking your water tour with Gemini Boat Tours - talk to Captain Edmund who can be found on the beach just about EVERY day between 9:00 am and 12:00 noon. Capt. Edmund is a licensed International Captain. You can call him at 758-719-5922 for more info. We had a BLAST with Troy and David who take you out on the boat for the entire day. You can pretty much tailor your tour with them and see different things as there are only 6 persons on the boat.

Loved St. Lucia and its people.....this was a GREAT vacation. I encourage you to ignore the bad reviews and go!

Room Tip: Stayed in the 300 block Room 324 and it was quiet for early nights.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Saffron Walden, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We just returned from my parents' Golden Wedding trip to St Lucia, where 15 of us stayed at Smugglers Cove, ages from 3 to 73. In short, if you are a couple, I doubt this is the resort for you, but as a large, mixed age group, it was perfect. Its sells itself as a family friendly resort and this is exactly what it is. I have 3 'spirited' boys aged 6,6 and 3 and it is rare for me to feel so relaxed and happy about not bothering anyone else!

We were due to arrive Boxing Day but had to divert via Grenada for 2 days (also a lovely island)due to St Lucia international airport being under 6 ft water! I can honestly say that we have never had a better family holiday. Considering that the recent flooding had left water shortages across the Island, the resort did incredibly well under the circumstances. We had restricted water in our rooms, had eat off plastic plates and there were no blended drinks but that honestly did not bother us and under the circumstances, was totally understandable. We ere given copious bottled water everyday and the bars never ran out of cold beer, rum or ice ;-)

We stayed in a Garden Suite, room 135, which was tucked away amongst plants, with a little patio and French doors and more than enough space and beds for the 5 of us. Our boys loved the parrot outside our door too! The staff were warm, and friendly, our room was kept spotless, the food was plentiful and tasty. The gardens and pool were large and well maintained. We spent most of us time at the resort camped out by the kids pool, which was quiet, with plenty of sunloungers free, and a poolside bar.

I am at a loss when I read some of these reviews what people are talking about - it feels like a different resort. Every member of staff that I interacted with was perfectly friendly - perhaps reviewers should try a smile and friendly word - it goes a long way ;-)

I would reiterate that this is not the right resort for a couple or honeymooners (there are plenty of those options on St Lucia), but for us, with 5 children under 10 and 3 teenagers in the mix, it was great. The firework display on NYE on the beach was a particular highlight. we also loved the fresh flowers left in the room every day.

My only gripe would be that the Kids Club was not very dynamic! We tried it for one afternoon with our 4 boys (aged 3 - 8) and they would have done anything not to go back there, as it was just sitting in a dark room making paper bag puppets. The bouncy castle spent the entire 8 days semi deflated which looked a little sad! As we had picked this resort as it had a Kids Club this was a little disappointing. Perhaps some investment there wouldn't go amiss....Also, as this is situated at the top of the island, the beach is not as attractive as those further south on the island - its not the classic Caribbean water, as it is close to the Atlantic. However, it is only a short taxi ride to Rodney Bay where there are beautiful Caribbean waters and plenty of places for lunch!

St Lucia itself was a beautiful as I remembered - lush and green - we hired a catamaran on our last day and went down to Soufiere and the Pitons via Anse Chastenet and Jalousie which was gorgeous. The weather was perfect. Thanks to St Lucia and to Smugglers Cove for such a memorable and beautiful holiday.

Room Tip: Garden Suites were large and perfect for families. Also a little closer to reception - it is a pret...
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

After spending 7 nights at Smugglers' cove over the Christmas week I am not sure if my family and I were more dissapointed by the hotel or the island itself (note that we visited everything there is to visit on the island). Bottom line, we do not recommend either.

Below is a simple honest description/view of what matters in a resort:

Rooms: Very basic and clean. Regular rooms don't have a fridge in them and suites have empty fridges.

Restaurants: 3 out 4 don't have air conditionning (the 4th one is for adults only). Food is average at best (we tried all 3 family restaurants). Not enough fresh fruits. 1 type of chesse all week. Not enough cold food at lunch, especially with the heat and no airconditionning.

Staff: Not friendly at all, can't get a smile out of most of them.

Spa: Fantastic, very clean and inviting. had an Indian massage, quite an experience.

Pools: Although there are 4 pools, they are small and need to be redone.

Beach: Very small, water and sea bottom dirty.

Drinks: Definitely watered down.

Entertainment: Due to the torrential rains during the week of Christmas, a lot was cancelled.

Overall: The hotel is in urgent need for a facelift (My son joked that he felt as if he is in a James Bond movie from the 60's).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!