“Honest Honeymoon Review” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Honest Honeymoon Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed in a garden view room for 2 weeks for our honeymoon at the end of May through to mid June. We'd never stayed in a holiday resort before and felt that it was a really relaxing experience.

Why you should go here:
St.Lucian landscape is beautiful and their way of life is slow paced and filled with culture which is the whole point of experiencing a long haul West Indies holiday. It really is an experience!
If food, sunshine, excursions and relaxation is up your street,and you don't mind your room being basic and are open minded this is the holiday for you.

Why you shouldn't go here:
If you cannot cope with tropical heat, insects, mosquitos, demand luxury rooms, and a high standard of evening entertainment, don't book this accommodation. Do your research there's lots of different resorts in St.Lucia that might suit you better.

Weather: We went at the start of the hurrican season from 28 th May until 11th of June. The weather was changable and unsettled at times but it was very very hot and humid. We burnt using factor 30 so watch out for the heat as its deceptive! We had no issues with the weather at this time of year, when it rained it was for a short period of time and gave you a break from the intense heat. I've since looked at the forecast there for June and it looks rainy all week, so I'd avoid booking a holiday here from June onwards.

Accommodation:The accommodation was clean, tidy and spacious which was plenty for two people. I felt that it did need some tlc, the bath tap came off the wall in the bathroom! But the rest of the room although a little dated was comfortable.

There was a leak behind the telephone following heavy rainfall, I contacted reception and this was looked at, wether it had been permanently resolved I'm not sure. We used the television when we wanted to have a break from the sun, or short rain showers, and there's a variety of news channels and american channels available. The screen wasn't always clear on some of the channels but it served its purpose.

The bed in the room was huge which was really good and the sheets and towels were renewed every day. Our room also contained a phone,small fridge, bamboo furniture and an effective air-con system. Although I thought the rooms could do with some TLC and modernising on the whole I was pleased with it as there was plenty of space and it was freshly cleaned every day.

Food:The standard of the food was very good and there''s plenty to be had. The breakfast buffet is fantastic with plenty of choice and good service from staff. There are several restaurants available at the resort serving different types of food. These include The Cove: Buffet option from 6pm onwards serving different themed foods every evening such as BBQ, Caribbean, Indian, Mexican etc and breakfast from 6am onwards.

There is La Trattoria serves Italian food both lunch time and the evening (A La Carte) and this was very good quality.

The Grillhouse restaurant has a lovely atmosphere overlooking the sea and resort and serves barracuda, mahi mahi amoung its other options.* Be warned, don't eat here if it's raining, as the flying ants come into the restaurant and one night it got quite bad so we left in the end.

Cafe Asia was impressive serving Asian cuisine with really tasty options.

The resort serves afternoon tea true Brit style with sandwiches, scones, cakes, cookies and tea and coffe which is a nice option if you want something homely and a bit more traditional.

I felt that the resort makes a good effort and places an imporance on the variety of food and refreshments it offers which is extremely good for an all inclusive. The waiting staff are very attentive and can't do enough for you.

Activities: The resort offers many activities with no extra charge which is great. They offer snorkeling gear, kayacking and also water skiing. T

here are reps within the resort based in the Piton Lounge who give you information and prices on excursions such as zip lining, off road buggy driving, snuba, diamond falls and pigeon island. I recommend taking plenty of money to do as many excursions as you can to really experience St.Lucia.

*I can recommend Soufriere as a day trip which involved driving to the Botanical Gardens and Diamond Falls with lunch at a cocoa plantation and then you have a tour of the western coast of St.Lucia through a catamaran which was amazing and really memorable.

In addition, the resort offers water aerobics, pilates, yoga, archery, pingpong, tennis, a gym and spa facilities with treatments.

Staff: Overall the staff were very friendly, some more than others, and I found that they couldn't do enough for you in the restaurants or if we were having difficulties connecting to the WiFi.

Entertainment:Sorry Smugglers Cove, but despite your best efforts, the entertainment does let you down. I think that some money needs to be spend on the stage and equipment as it looks like a school theatre and there were many technical issues with sound when we were there.

There are talented acts there but they are completely underminded by the poor quality of the stage and the sound. Do your staff a favour and give them the stage and equipment they deserve! They work really hard and you're letting them down.

I don't understand why the Piton Longe is the only option for entertainment of an evening, because you do get fed up with it night after night with the same Smugglers Roots band so in the end we would just chill with the telly in the room. This area of the resort needs severe attention.

Watch out for:

Mosquitos. You will get bitten in this country. We prepared as much as we could and still didn't get away with it. Especially if you are pale skined, consider buying the best repellent you can.

We found some ants in the room and also woke up to a small lizard on the wall of the accommodation.

There are cats lurking around the resort scrounging for food but they didn;t pose as any sort of problem.

The prices in the shop are ridiculous charging $15 for a magazine around £10 and $20 for books (£15 roughly). You can purchase items in Rodney bay shopping centre for much cheaper but you have to spend around $15 US to get a taxi there.

Beware on the beach, as there are sales people approaching you to sell you necklaces and hand made gifts and they were a pain as they were really pushy and a little intimidating. I would have spend much more time on the beach had they not been around.

*Watch out for the death slide in the childrens pool. This slide is not for adults! There were a few incidents of adults going down the slide and flying off the edge! Why there is no warning that adults shouldn't use this slide I'll never know.

The lighting in the night is poor, and there is a fair walk to some rooms based on the premises. Please improve your lighting for the disabled residents, partially sighted and the visually impaired! We were offered a taxi to the Asian restaurant which was appreciated, but there is no reason that the lightling should be so poor.

Overall Experience:
I am so pleased that I experienced a different part of the world in a way where I could have the option to relax, eat good food, do activities when I felt like it and felt at home in the resort. I wouln't return to the same resort, as for the money, I'd want to experience something different. I feel sometimes that people travel looking for luxury and pomp, but St.Lucian culture is down to earth and many of them don't have the luxuries that come to us on a daily basis,so the standard of the accommodation is quite adequate I think.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for the superior rooms or rooms in the 100's as they are closer to the mai...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

All 14 of our direct family with ages ranging from a few months to nearly 70 years spent the last week of May 2013 at Smugglers Cove.

We all enjoyed a great holiday, the food was probably the best we have had at any All Inclusive resort. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The resort has extensive gardens full of beautiful flowers and well kept lawns. There are pools to suit all tastes kept in very good condition.

We had an excellent DeLuxe garden villa with separate bedroom and lounge. The only criticism was that the bathroom needed some TLC.

The best place to eat was La Trattoria, especially for lunch. It is run by Rosalie with a great team who could not be more accommodating for a group of 14.

Room Tip: We had a DeLuxe garden villa which is very spacious for two. There is also enough space in the loung...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Westerly, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We booked this resort because we saw it advertise on Regis and Kelly before Regis retired. Thinking if they can advertise it, then it must be good. They were wrong. We were wrong for booking it. Upon arrival we were greeted with someone who wasn't sure of our reservation he had to double check them. The Garden View Suite was dated, the bath tub shower was extremely high off the slippery tile floor and you had to sit down on the edge to get out or you would fall. The shower had next to no water pressure. The water temp was luke warm at best. The pools all closed up at 6pm so you couldn't swim after that. The buffet never changed what it was offering for morning breakfast. Same thing same place everyday. The resort advertised three restaurants open plus the buffet that wasn't true either. Two of the three specialty restaurants were closed most of the nights. The wait staff was slow on providing drinks. I had to ask three different people for a cup of ice. The bar service was horrible. The liquor was mostly bottom shelf. It was mostly local rums and wine. The wine was labeled RED and one labeled WHITE. Both tasted terrible. The bar staff did not know anything but the most basic drinks. The drinks were short pours, We asked to have Captain Morgan brought in because the local rums were to high in sugar, and since we were paying $170 a night per person. We figured they should accommodate us somewhat. We were told we could go downtown to buy it and bring it back and they would keep it at the bar for us, but they would not accommodate us. The beach was rocky just as you entered the water. You needed water shoes so you wouldn't hurt your feet. The beach was full of vendors looking to trade. A 70 some year old women upon exiting the pool slipped on the downward pitch of the tile and hit her head. The staff checked her out and said they had been after the resort management to put some grip stripes on that area but they would listen to the staff. The staff was hoping that after this incident they would put down some grip stripes for safety. It never happened while we were their. The paths leading to the villas are very dimly lite at night and are narrow. Two of our friends fell off them in the dark and one banged up her knee, the other friend rolled down the slight hill. Thank god not hurt. The tree limbs over hanging the paths are very low and plants hang into the pathways. We wanted ice for the room so we went to the ice machine closed to our room which wasn't working. So we went down to the lobby for ice and we were told none of the ice machines worked. There were lots of wild cats running around the resort. In and out of the buffet, restaurants and villas. My friends just arrived and opened the villa door and two cats ran into the room. This is a resort I won't go back to or recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
East Berkshire, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in the standard rooms, which were in rows coming down a slope towards the main bar and pool area- they were a great distance and very comfortable. All staff, from entertainers to waiters to bar tenders were so friendly! And the view of the ocean from the bar was stunning, perfect for a sunset drink- definitely recommended!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed there for three nights four days and it was fabulous can't wait to go back,the workers are friendly the food was delicious and our room 467 was beautiful and close to everything,our daughter played in the kids club and she loved the kids pool with the slide this resort is very kids friendly.The only problem we had was the back door was not locking good but when I called front desk and told them about it they send someone to fix it right away,we also went on the carnival cruise tour of the island and it was wonderful we visited the diamonds waterfall,mineral bath rubbed the sulfur mud on our skin and took a dip in the hot mud pool.the piton mountains was just breath taking to look at St Lucia is a very beautiful island with lovely beaches I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting to visit St Lucia we enjoyed our stay and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: rooms in the 400's are closer to everything.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
essex england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked this hotel 5 days before we travelled and some of the reviews were mixed so I was abit aprehensive ! However we we arrived
my mind was put at ease ! The beautiful grounds they are trully stunning
our room was fine air conditioning always worked and very clean.
My little Boy nearly four years old suffers with allergies so I went to introduce myself to the Head Chef David Spritzer! He took the time to talk to me to discuss beaus needs nothing was a problem he made him special icecream made his team aware of our little boy needs. I was delighted and so impressed with the excellent service and I cannot thank him and chef Francis for there care and attension. The childrens play area was really lovely even having a talking parrot which my little boy loved we did not use the kids club because my little boy just wanted to be with us the pools were great and spaced out with plenty of sun beds ! The beach was safe especially if you have children sadly not
white powder sand. Well the water sport area was very good my husband loves to water ski the team were fantastic very patient and very good sense of humour thank you so kindly for looking after us !
There is a good choice of restaurants the only negative is we never got to try the asian because it is adults only and I would have loved to experience it may be they could consider an early sitting from 6pm for families or allow one night a week a suggestion. We would definately return to the hotel the only negative is the trabsfer from the airport it did take 2 and a half hours and is abit hair raising so be prepared and I would take a mixture of dollars and caribbean. The entertainment was okay it did need abit more variety the hotel team always tried there best they were polite and happy. Thank you
Best Wishes
Julia colin and beau mattaxk

Room Tip: We were 459 if you have a little one you need to be near facilities as the complex is very large
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Smugglers Cove is a very beautiful albeit a little tired and in need of much refurbishment. Immense respect to the gardeners for the upkeep of the grounds – it’s clear a lot of attention is given paid to the property. The interior of the apartments were adequate and clean.
We enjoyed our short time at Smugglers Cove but were disappointed not to give feedback direct to the resort (the resort had no feedback forms). I also think it is important for a 4*resort (questionable) such as Smugglers Cove Resort to get an honest and balanced view from its guests and don’t feel it’s acceptable to suggest guests leave feedback on Trip Advisor. This I feel encourages people to vent out of frustration.
We got to meet the 'new' assistant manager who was charming. He suggested we could contact him with our concerns, of which we did. Sadly the letter was returned unopened, suggesting it was not referred to a stand-in, deputy or secretary. I find that incredible.
Although staff have generally been helpful you could not say that about all staff. Service was hit and miss - service not consistent throughout!
One of our biggest gripes was the condition of the pools – poorly maintained, if at all. Cats mess nearby. Activities were in abundance but cancellation of fitness classes and too many conflicting reasons spoil it for us. We were even directed to a footnote on the programme that states some fitness classes were subject to short notice cancellation because of the weather. The footnote must have been been written in invisible ink because we couldn’t find it! I would like to add that the Pilates class we did participate in was excellent and the pool aerobics was good fun.
Would I return to Smugglers Cove? Not consciously! Would I recommend this resort, probably - but with some reservation providing you have no expectations at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!