“Lovely resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My mother, sister and I went to the resort in September and had a really lovely time. Contrary to some reviews on here, we found the staff very nice and friendly (especially Omany, Jennifer, Rose and Jahan, among others whose names I am not sure of!). In fact it was my mother's birthday while we were away and they made up a special table for her and a birthday cake, which she was delighted with. It was her second time at the resort, her first having been with my father who died in February.

I saw more instances of rudeness from customers than from staff.

The food was incredible, especially La Trattoria, the Italian restaurant. Our room was great but in truth we didn't spend a lot of time in there because there are things to do and pools to lay by all day!

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have been surprised by the fact that the sand is dark....there's a volcano on the island, so I'm not sure what they expected. Other beaches on the island, with white sand, have largely been man-made. The beach is small but long and perfectly fine.

This is not a 5* resort, but it is a really lovely place, the gardens are beautiful (look out for hummingbirds) and there's loads to do. I do wish I had gotten out more and explored more of the island (there's a street party every Friday night that I wish I had gone to!).

I would really recommend this resort if you are looking for a relaxing pool-side holiday with a few great day trips, lovely people and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SmugglersJT, Guest Relations Manager at Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Lucy H,
We would like to thank you for your continued support and taking the time to write a review. Our returning guests are very important to us, as such it makes us proud to hear you and your mom found more to enjoy on your recent stay. Keep an eye on your inbox as we will soon be offering many new facilities and special packages for our past guests. We sincerely look forward to your next vacation here with us at Smugglers Cove.

Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I'm writing for information purposes. The resort is certainly for the budget minded. The room is worth upbgrading to the deluxe grade. This came with both electrical outlets. Forgot the island is on a different curent. The most disapiointing part was that my cell was stolen out of our room. I will take some of the blame as I had it in my purse in the closet. Also found out that others were also missing electronics that were left in view. In my 30 years of travel, I've never had anything taken. Expensive lesson. As for the water sports, get there early (8:30) to sign up or you won't get a time for the sailing or kayaks. Get your beach or pool chair early or you won't find one. Reserving for the resaurants should also be done early or you won't get a reservation and you will stand in a 1/2 hour line up to book one We primerily vacation for scuba. Which was beautiful. Steves SCUBA was very accomodating. No washrooms on the boats though. Wouldn't go back to this resort but St Lucia is a beautiful island, just don't be in a hurry for anything. This is the carribean.

Dear Marg1961,

All of us here at Smugglers Cove were sad, disappointed and concerned to read your post heading and comments regarding your phone going missing during your stay at our resort. As communicated during your visit, a detailed and thorough investigation of this loss was conducted. I am sorry you were dissatisfied with our findings, and I acknowledge your still strong feelings after returning home.

The safety and security of our guests and our associates is always our priority. I also take this opportunity to share our Management team’s support of and confidence in our associates’ honesty and integrity.

We note and respect your comments regarding another visit. If however we can be of assistance in the future, please reach out and let us know immediately.

With warm regards,
Management
Lingfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I can understand what people say about the state of the rooms. They are a little tired (black sealant around bath etc), but it was clean!! The public toilets did not smell or look pleasant at all - but were also clean. The evening entertainment was a little cheesey, but you don't have to join in!
Before we went, I sent a a series of emails (directly and via the website) to ask if they could accommodate my "dairy free diet" and no reply! That said, when we got there, they were more than happy to help. All of the restaurants would either tell me what was dairy free, or make something special! The higher rating was mostly because of this - else it would have been a rotten time! So, there was no need to worry - although I would have liked to have known this before we went. Cafe Asia was awesome, and deserves a special mention!
This is a BIG resort, on a hillside... be prepared to walk a fair way between room/beach/restaurants... there are some short cuts (through beautiful gardens), but it took us a few days to work them out! It wasn't a problem for us, but those with limited mobility may struggle - so make sure you tell them before you go, although don't expect a reply ;)
If you want to guarantee a sun lounger, an 0600hrs trek with the towels is a necessity (personally I hated doing it, but it seemed everyone else was)- there were plenty of chairs/tables, but not enough loungers to go around!
It's not the best hotel I've stayed in, but by a long way it wasn't the worst. We had no problem with any theft from room - and we did use the safe!
Booking the restaurants on the first morning meant a 40 minute queue - so make sure you get in line early (probably before your welcome talk), and PLEASE try to work out where/when you want to eat before you get to the front of the queue. When you book your evening meals (for the following 3 nights) you are given a paper slip with the times/days of your bookings on it. The one thing that I would say is that if people are having stuff taken from the room during dinner - don't leave your restaurant booking slip on view in the room!! I'm not saying that the staff are not trustworthy (we had NO problem at all) but it's not rocket science!
The tea/coffee making facilities in the room was a coffee maker - so not ideal for making tea! But there is coffee and tea available 24hrs a day by the main buffet restaurant (The Cove).
Staff were either VERY happy and helpful - or a bit moody - I just found the moody one's amusing :)
The beach is not your typical white sand and turquoise sea... but if you realise this before you go, it won't spoil your holiday! On the whole, a lovely time.... weather good, and met some lovely people.
The only downside for me was that you have to leave credit card details when you check in... my experience was that they pre-authorised the equivalent of £240sterling to the card on check in (did not tell us they were going to do so)... and it's taken a week AFTER we returned home for the money to be released. Was a bit surprised that an all inclusive venue did this - as I've never experienced this before.
Don't discount this resort - but just don't expect it to be perfect! Enjoy the beautiful weather and rustic charm!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear C N,

We at Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa always value and appreciate the gift of feedback, as such we thank you for the time you have taken to post this review. Please note that we have communicated your comments to the chefs as a thank you for their consistent work.

We are very sorry if your email was not responded to in a timely manner however we do encourage guests to email us with any questions they might have.

Thank you again for your honest review and for promoting Smugglers Cove, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon among us.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

UNFORTUNATELY, the other reviews are on target. You do get what you pay for, much nasty attitude, little geniune service with gratitude, mediocre food, and way too many small problems that indicate you are at the wrong place, at the wrong time "your vacation". Many positive reviews are clearly not true because I experienced and saw otherwise. Look at the beach from google earth "its nearly blackish" not pretty at all, dingy actually. Extensive poverty greets every turn outside the resort. Locals are hostile toward visitors and all the resorts workers are locals! It appears as a great deal but you get what you pay for....Buyer Beware of What Lurks There!

Room Tip: DEMAND a photograph of the accomodations you will be actually getting.....just wait till you see it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear tony p,
While we respect your opinion we certainly do not agree with it. Firstly in the Caribbean google earth is still a stranger. Our satellite photos can be over a decade old in some areas and since our white sand is new i suspect you might not have spent much time on our beach recently.

Secondly the area of Cap Estate where Smugglers Cove is located is one of if not the most upscale neighborhoods on the island. As a developing country there are certainly areas of poverty and with many of our citizens still recovering from losses suffered in hurricane Thomas i am sure if you look hard enough you will find people at every stage of recovery.

As Saint Lucians we tend to look on the bright side and that is why it is so shocking to hear you were given the impression that locals are hostile. Tourism is the biggest industry in the caribbean and as such we are very welcoming to visitors.

More positively we hope you will return to Saint Lucia and indeed Smugglers Cove in the future that we may try to change your mind.

Management
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have just come back from Smugglers Cove, had a very good break for a week, needed the sunshine and relaxation. It did the job very well, plenty of both. clean tidy, staff very good, one or two little problems on arrival were sorted out quickly.
I am not one of those people that complain about holiday resorts, here come the but's
first of all, I know it is not PC to smoke but people do, until the day we were leaving there was not an ashtray anywhere out side any of the buildings, when you went to go into a place of no smoking , there was nowhere to put out a cigarette, only the flowerpots that were everywhere, on the day of leaving they were just filling a few pots with sand, great, just not enough, finding an ashtray for a table was just as hard, on asking we were told there were not any, not good enough.
second, the entertainment of an evening, either you dont have an entertainment manager, or you have never been entertained, the same two guys singing for a couple of hours interdipersed with an "international dance group" who seemed to do the same dance with different outfits on. it seems that you two singers though not bad, want to outdo each oher with who can sing higher than the other songs that may seem familiar but are sung at a higher and higher pitch, most nights after 10pm most people are leaving the bar area apart from a few diehards, maybe this is your way of saving on a bar bill, it works, entertainment awfull.
I was apart from those two things, very happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear hersham027,

We at Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa always value and appreciate the gift of feedback, as such we thank you for the time you have taken to post this review.Please note that we have communicated your comments to the team as a thank you for their consistent work.

We would like to take a moment to address the concerns you raised. Here at Smugglers Cove all of our rooms and sheltered areas are non-smoking. You can however smoke outdoors and there are ash trays placed at various locations. Additional ash trays are available at the bars should they be required.

In terms of entertainment we do offer a variety from, singers, limbo dancers and fire eaters to local and international recording artists. That aside we encourage our guests to visit the Saint Lucian hot spots should they require additional entertainment. Smugglers Cove is located less than 10 minutes from Rodney Bay where many bars, restaurants, night clubs and even a casino can be found. Also the Local friday night jump up in Gros Islet (5 minutes away) is legendary and perfect for any party animals in your group.

Lanarkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Very disappointed..expected beautiful beach attentive staff clean rooms and good food ....in reality rooms disappointing. Some staff extremely discourteous. ..beach not as expected. Food not always good especially in the cove restaurant.... toilets at the pool had damp leaking ceiling; towels on the floor to catch the drips...not really four star quality....bare wires around trees...pools not clean in fact the water felt slimey...Parasols in cement buckets...the service was not great....however we were given a Room upgrade after we complained about damp patch on bathroom ceiling and colony of ants in bedroom also bedroom furniture was broken. ..this is not a four star resort but could be with a bit of tlc...as with every resort not all staff were rude but Melissa at reception was very rude as was some of the bar staff at the piton bar and the pool bar...the staff at the waterside were excellent for dinner but breakfast could be a bit better. ..try the Asian restaurant the food andstaff were excellent. ...overall disappointed and not the four star holiday expected from British Airways ..

Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Smuggler's Cove the first week of November 2012 the resort was very good. We met so many nice people. We found it difficult to find anything to complain about on this vacation. The food was amazing. The beach was very clean. Some extra umbrellas would be a good idea Instead of getting up early to find one! Overall we would recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!