“So much more than we expected” 4 of 5 stars

Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cap Estates, Cap Estate, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cap Estate
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“So much more than we expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We had a great time even though it rained for three days, thank goodness we went for two weeks. The rooms are a bit rough around the edges but they are being upgraded,the food was fantastic and so much choice,all the waterspouts were free! Yes even water skiing. We found the staff so friendly and helpful, the trips were excellent,we tried snuba, zip lining in the rain forest and the segways, which is the only trip I have been on where they don't try and get more money out of you eg photo's or souvenirs,so big thumbs up there. Be prepared for a very long bus transfer from the air port,a hour and a half of bendy scary steep roads.We met some fantastic canadians while we were there the best holiday ever. And so much for everyone old or young to do thank you to all the staff you were all fantastic x

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
marslovesbeach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We just returned from a seven night stay at Smugglers Cove and had a fabulous time. Ignore all of the negative reviews the hotel is beautiful, the food is great, and the service is excellent. We arranged our Taxi through the hotel and had a very pleasant ride to the hotel. When we arrived we were treated with a nice cold towel and drink. Since we love the beach, we decided to upgrade our room to ocean front and it was well worth the extra money we paid. Owen was the man!

Our room was very clean and serviced everyday. The maid did a great job cleaning up and we did not worry about leaving our belongings. She would not even take our tips unless we handed it to her. Overall we were very happy with our room.

The restaurants were great. The buffet had different things for breakfast and lunch everyday. For breakfast you had a choice of buffet or a la carte on the water with a great view of the beach. The three restaurants available were delicious. The pasta and pizza at the Italian was great! We also loved the seafood at the Waterside Grill and Asian for a change. We also found the buffet to be great for dinner, especially their local cuisine on Monday night was actually our favorite meal. It was a great way to experience the local Creole cuisine...definitely authentic.

The bars and drinks were great. Brian & Chairmane made sure the bars had great service. Vince & Lynol were great bartenders and took care of us the entire trip. They made the best drinks around! We loved the Pinton, BBC, & mohito.

The water sports team is great & a big thanks to Sherman and Everton who made the airhead such good fun. You have to try the airhead!! The water skiing was great. Everton had great patience for beginners to try water skiing. Sherman might be the hardest worker we have ever met.

We overall loved our trip. Not only do we not have any complaints we loved the hotel, the food, and the people were amazing. We would recommend Smugglers Cove to anyone and would love to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bridgetown, Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I took a week's vacation at smugglers with my family. It was my first time in an all-inclusive. I was pleasantly surprised.

First, I had heard all the horrors stories about all-inclusive food, often from people returning from Cuba or the dominican Republic. I was very satisfied by the quality and the choice offered. You can eat healthy at breakfast and lunch, you can have a nice copious dinner. The way I like it.

The activities are varied, and given our constraints (3 kids under 5) everyone found something pleasant to do. I got to play golf on the very challenging course across the road (I swear the monkey took that ball on the second green, but they tell me there is no monkey on this island . . .). My wife went for the spa that had just opened. Kids had slides and the kids club. I brought the kids to the volcano and, sure enough, we found the treasure that the pirates had hidden there. LOL.

The staff was mostly helpful and with a certain enthusiam. Thanks to the maid who maid those elaborate swans on our bed with the bath towels sprinkled with flowers from the garden - kids loved it. I never waited much for food or drinks. Activities staff always helpful.

The only bad experience is that my iron 7 and all my club slippers went missing (at the airport, not the hotel). I think tourist should be mindful of petty theft in St-Lucia, taking into account other people's posts.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I had always wanted to visit St Lucia and this was an excellent experience.We were there as a family and my 27 year old son had an amazing time made possible by the lads at the water sports section Bel,Sharman etc.He was able to go kayaking,yatching etc
Stan,Chacho (should be on stage in a London Musical ) Wendell and Jackie all part of the activities team made our stay unforgetable.Nothing was too much trouble for them including Fiona,Gerald,Jacinta,Monica etc in the Cove restaurant.The Asian,Italian and Fish restaurant s which are a la carte were superb.

• Stayed April 2011
Bridgetown, Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We also just returned from our spring break 7 –day family vacation at Smuggler’s. My husband and I have 3 young kids all under 5 years and we all enjoyed ourselves. There are many great things which made our stay wonderful; I will try to mention some of them.

Landscape: Smuggler’s Cove setting is very impressive, situated on very large property surrounding a peaceful cove – the property is covered with beautiful flowers and gardens within which the one-storey hotel rooms are embedded like little cottages. There are no sterile multi-storey concrete buildings which can sometimes diminish the natural Caribbean landscape. This also made our daily walks to the poolside or beach very relaxing, our bar and ice cream pit stops along the way also helped (toddler mums bring your strollers).

Staff: We have stayed in some of the best hotels in Europe and North America and we found the staff at Smugglers to be some of the most welcoming and helpful. On arrival, we were treated like royalty, at reception we were offered scented wet towels and fruit punch and given our room key while the staff brought the luggage to our rooms. There was practically no wait which is an essential start to a vacation. Our housekeeper was extremely warm and friendly to all of us. At the restaurants – if we were at the buffet, staff would assist our kids in going for seconds if needed. If it was “a la carte” resto they ensured that the kids’ meals were out first.

Kids Club: The Kids club is indoor/outdoor play area – with a large out-door play park equipped with a jumping castle, play castle, swings, and talking parrots! Our kids stayed twice there- they played games, made tie-dye shirts and went crab hunting - they were not just planted in front of a TV or video games. Our 18month old stayed in the nursery twice while I went to the spa or tennis and both times I came back to find her sleeping which she only does if she is comfortable.

Kids pools: The ultimate attraction for my husband and the kids was the jumbo water slide at the largest kid’s pool. There are other kids pools, but we hit this one for 2 to 3 hours every day practically. This pool was very large with depths ranging from 1 foot to 4 feet –which enabled me to wade with my 18mth old at one end while watching the older ones play on the slide or at the deeper end. At some family resorts, the baby/toddlers pools are separated from the older kids pools which force parents to separate to monitor– i.e. not relaxing. There is also an amazing adult wet bar with a view of the cove which I did not get a chance to try this time but we found the drinks/bars very close to all pool-sides.

Activities: After the first two days glued to the pool/beach side we got into some of the activities- but did not have time to try all, we did the paddle boat and speed motor boat (I was surprised at how much fun it was for me) .The twins and I had tennis lessons which they loved so much we went back the next day. For adults and older kids, there are archery lessons, the gamut of gym classes, and of course their new on-site O spa. The spa is not included, but I wanted the spa experience on this trip – so I had three treatments, all were very good, in particular the facial- I highly recommend the facial.

Restos – for breakfast and lunch we often went to the Cove pool-side buffet as a practical option for kids who want to get back to the beach quickly – there was a lot of choice (some healthy choices too) and everything I tried was delicious. At night we tried some of the other restaurants our “hands-down” favorite was Cafe Asia – the food was extremely good – I highly recommend the duckling or the ribs. However, it is adults only – so parents will need to pay for an in-room babysitter (there is a separate charge for night-time babysitting ~ $10US per hour )

Rooms- we chose a very spacious garden-side room- with a large bedroom and a separate living room space with a pull out sofa which the twins slept on. The ocean-side rooms are more luxurious but slightly smaller, and with 5 of us, including a toddler who adores flowers- this was the perfect choice for us!

Outside the resort -We got off the resort twice, we made the trip to see the waterfalls, botanical gardens and the volcano which was worth it (not sure where else in the resort world you can get that close to a volcano).

In summary, this spring break our vacation choice was either an all-inclusive hotel or cruise in the Caribbean, we chose Smugglers –and given our experience and the cost we think this was the best value vacation package choice for us. Will do it again next year!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We have only just returned after having an amazing time at this resort.

On our arrival we were greeted and offered a cool drink and then shown to our room which was situated in Canaries Village close to the main guest services/reception area.

Room
Our room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. In our large bedroom we had a large flat screen TV, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board and hairdryer and all were in good full working order. There was also a safe in the wardrobe. The air-conditioning unit was a blessing when returning to our room after a day out in the sunshine. The air-conditioning unit was very quiet and so did not disturb our sleep at all. We had a separate living room containing a large desk type table and chair and also a sofa and 2 cabinets and air-conditoning unit. Our bathroom contained a bath and over the bath shower and large washbasin, and toilet, we did not have any problems with lack of water or water pressure during our stay. Our room was serviced daily to a high standard by a wonderful and friendly housekeeper Theresa whom I'm sure must have got fed up with us leaving sand around after a day on the beach. We did not have any problems with receiving fresh bath towels, hand towels, facecloths and bathmat daily.

Meals
Breakfast was available at both The Cove and The Waterside Grill. We chose to eat breakfast at The Cove buffet each day and there were so many choices available that it was sometimes difficult for us to choose. I particularly liked the local fish dishes. There was an egg station where you could have an omelet made to your choice or fried eggs etc. There were also plenty of other choices, bacon, sausages, fried potato, pancakes, baked beans, pastries. breads etc to name a few. There were always plenty of fresh fruits, melons, banana, apple, pears etc. The foods were replenished very quickly and well before they were running low.
Lunch was available at The Cove buffet, La Trattoria (a la carte) and beach barbeque, each day we would enjoy a lovely lunch from either The Cove or beach barbeque
Dinner was available at The Cove buffet style, Monday - Creole, Tuesday - European, Wednesday - Mexican, Thursday - Caribbean, Friday - Asian, Saturday -Barbeque, Sunday - Mediterranan. An excellent choice of different foods we found. We enjoyed a couple of wonderful dinners at the Waterside Creole Grill ( a la carte) which is built on a little pier over the sea, it was lovely to enjoy dinner there listening to the waves. I tried the local trout one evening and it was absolutely delicious. La Trattoria (a la carte) offered italian meals and we enjoyed pizza and also a seafood pasta meal, I can't remember the name of the seafood pasta but it tasted really good. Cafe Asia,(a la carte) and for adults only served Chinese, Japanese and Tai dinners and they would cater for individual needs, eg a member of my family does not like too spicy food and so the chef would ensure that too much spice was not added. We enjoyed baby ribs etc there one evening.
All restaurants other than The Cove required a reservation for dinner and we did not have any problems getting the restaurant and time of our choice.
A couple of times when we went out for a day we ordered a picnic hamper for our lunch from guest services 24 hours in advance, no problems there.
We have stayed at other All Inclusive resorts and Smugglers Cove Resort certainly offered the most varied and highest quality foods by far than any of the other resorts that we have stayed at.

Swimming Pools
All of the swimming pools, swim-up bar and hot tub were kept very clean and monitored thoughout the day by a pool attendant.

Beach
We found that the beach was kept very clean and free from litter. The sand is slightly dark in colour and this is due to the fact that St Lucia is a volcanic island and that the sand is not imported as is some of the white sand at other resorts. The sand is clean and so that was a BIG plus for us. We spent many wonderful hours swimming and snorkeling in the beautiful warm Caribbean sea.

Fitness
Each day there were different fitness activities offered, Water Aerobics, Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates. walks, just to name of few, plus various workout sessions in the Fitness Centre.

Activities
Some of the arranged activities by the Smugglers Activity Team were pool volleyball, Caribbean dance classes and beach volleyball. The Activity Team were not pushy in trying to get guests to join in the activity but usually walked around politely asking guests whether they would like to join in volleyball etc.
A BIG THANK YOU to Teddy, Jackie, Chacho and Wendell.

Water Sports Department
We enjoyed using kayaks but there was hobie cat sailing, pedal boats, windsurfing and water skiing all included and with lessons if required. This was where beach towels were provided and we didn't have any problems with getting fresh towels when we needed them.

Evening Entertainment
We really enjoyed our evenings in the Piton Lounge listening to the Smugglers Band and watching the talented International Dancers who performed 3 times a week. The Fire Eating and Limbo show was excellent as was the Fantasia Steel Band.

We found that all staff whether in guest services, restaurants, bars, housekeepers that we spoke to were very polite and helpful.

We wish that we were still at wonderful Smugglers Cove Resort now and can't wait to hopefully return there next year.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Everything you could want from a Caribean Beach Holiday was found at Smugglers Cove. Friendly and helpful staff. Water sking, snorkling, boating, the private beach had it all with brilliant golden sands. Hotel swimming pools were really good, and cleaned daily. The catering was of a very high standard with four different restaurants to chose from. All in all we could not find a fault with the resort at all.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Smugglers Cove Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!