“Perfect for a business trip - probably not a first choice for a long holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cap Maison

Save Saved
You added Cap Maison to your Saves list
Cap Maison
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Smugglers Cove Dr, Cap Estate, St. Lucia   |
Special Price
Early Booking LongerLoves
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Cap Estate
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a business trip - probably not a first choice for a long holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Let me start this review by saying (and I will later elobarate) how very nice and how very well run this hotel is. I absolutely recommend it if you are going to St Lucia for a short stop or on business - without doubt.

The reason for my title lies mainly in the following. I have been to (or should I say via) St Lucia several times on sailing trips. It's a beautiful island with lovely little coves to moor up in, take a swim and look at the incredible views that you get there. But this is not a place to go if you are looking for wide, white sandy beaches with swaying palm trees. They just don't exist in the same manner as say the West Coast of Barbados - or if you go to the Jalousie plantation south of Soufriere (currently being revamped as a Viceroy hotel) and use their imported white sand beach. Which is why I say this is the perfect place to stay if you are on business on the island. I would be very happy to stay here in between meetings. It has all you need for that or for a long weekend stop. It's not a long holiday kind of place. You would get bored.

For one thing it's not all-inclusive - hurrah! - this means that you get a chance to sample the delicious food they have in their Cliff restaurant (the head chef Tricky is ingenious) and his service staff delightful but it also gives you a chance to try out some of the other local restaurants, which personally I believe is a must if you want to really enjoy a place - and they have a number of really rather decent ones. I'm not personally a fan of all-inclusive but I can fully understand the 'ease' of them - merely that you get stuck in a little bubble - good or bad hotel dependent.

Cap Maison is a spanish style set of buildings with tasteful and simple (although very bland) interior decoration that lie in a perfect cliff top setting looking toward Martinique. A great view, if this is what you are looking for. The rooms are well-looked after (mostly) and comfortable in themselves. Each has a balcony of some sort and some (garden and rooftop) have their own pools.

The 'shared' pools are very small indeed - pretty- but not for you, if you like to have a work-out swim (unless you like swimming in tiny circles). The pretty little cove beach with beach bar is accessed by quite a few steps, so not great if you have problems walking or generally unfit - not a concern for me but worth noting. Also, the beach is only really in the sun in the afternoon - and you may find you need to keep moving your sunlounger to keep it that way. The water is very clear here.....more so than at other beaches we went to (probably due to the wind at the time of year) but definitely clearer. They have a few non-motorised water sports available - a hobie, some canoes but that's about it The snorkelling is also OK and if you are lucky you may see a turtle or two.....although I, personlly, didn't.

There were a couple of little points I'd like to make about the hotel (more as pointers than irritations). The shower room we had was small. In itself not a problem but what we found was that the tiling had been laid slightly wrongly, so the water would accumulate away from the plug and lie there till housekeeping came the next day. Not particularly pleasant but the mosquitoes loved it!
Also, I know they spray the resort for mosquitoes regularly but having a room spray or some coils there as standard would be good......we got bitten a lot.
Housekeeping were very diligent in their cleaning but often forgot to replace towels or bathroom sundries, so I did regularly have to ask for this to be brought up to the room.....a little annoying when you're butt naked and ready to shower.
Also, the pool loungers......beautifully designed dark (wrought iron?) metal based very comfy loungers. Only problem is that it's hot in St Lucia. So unless you remembered to cover the arms of said pretty loungers, you would get burnt - nothing major but a bore all the same. Maybe, when they buy new ones they can give this some thought.

A great little hotel. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. The room was nice with it's little sitting room addition. The view is lovely and the restaurant well worth a visit.

All in all a nice stay - would I go back. Certainly, if I was on business or needed a night or two in a bed off a boat. On a longer holiday......probably not.

Final tip......rent a car. It means it's alot easier to get around and you don't have to rely on taxis, which can add up.

Room Tip: Probably try and go for one with your own pool - rooftop or garden. But they are all nicely (if bla...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review following your stay with us in October of this year.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you would return as this is all that we could ever wish for :)

Tricky was delighted to read your comments concerning the delicious food you sampled and the friendly service and you described our beach perfectly as a pretty cove

My apologies for the lack of attention to detail concerning your bathroom amenities

We have guests who stay for varying amounts of time and what we have found works best is that they have a lovely retreat in Cap Maison where they can easily search out a number of different and varied activities such as Rainforest Zip Lining , Kite Surfing, Rainforest Jungle Safaris, Jogging and Walking Trails on the East Coast and Julian the therapist who you loved in our Spa often takes guests on guided walks there.

Golf is all but 4 minutes away and as you mentioned we are perfectly located for exploring a number of restaurants, bars and casino 10 minutes from our resort

Please let me know when you next plan a visit to St Lucia so that I can take care of your reservation personally

Kind regards

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Pooler, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Located at the north end of the island, just past the town of Castries, the location is excellent, with great views from some of the rooms and a small, very comfortable beach. My wife and I have been on most of the islands in the Caribbean and have stayed at many five star hotels and resorts we rank this one about the middle – excellent location and property but the dinner meals were skimpy and over-the-top expensive. Regarding rooms, it seems that you need to be very exact when booking a room so that you know what to expect when you get there and are not disappointed. We booked one of the more expensive rooms, described as a room with a private pool and an “ocean view”. To be able to see the ocean you had to go to the pool that was on the roof of our unit. Our balcony faced other units between the ocean and us. When we asked about rooms with an “ocean view” we were told that some rooms have views from the balcony and roof tops while others have ocean views from the roof top only. The resort was full and they would not be able to relocate us. Breakfast was included with our room. You could order from the menu or select from a typical European style breakfast that includes several cheeses, slices of ham, salami and other assorted cold cuts, breads, yogurts, fruit and assorted pastries. There is a small beach at the north most end of the property where drinks and snacks (potato chips and candy) are available. They also have a small grill there and offer lunch. While we were there they had shrimp and chicken on the menu, which seemed to be what they offered most of the time. I would not describe it as lunch though; it was at best a snack. We are not into big meals, but when my wife ordered grilled shrimp, she was served three very small shrimp and a few cucumber slices. I had ordered grilled chicken as was served three slivers of grilled chicken, each about the size of a little finger also with several cucumber slices. Each meal was about $22.00. Dinner was also very expensive and the servings were very small, about half the size of a typical small plate serving. We ate there three times and dinner meals for two ranged in price from $400 to $500 per meal, which did not include the cost of wine or cocktails. A small group plays as well during dinnertime. There is a spa on premise and I had a very nice massage at a reasonable price. Throughout our stay, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Taxi service is available to get you to Castries or a small shopping center just south of the resort. The ride to the shopping center is about 15 minutes and there are several restaurants there serving seafood and a steakhouse. The three that we ate at were all good and much less expensive than the resort. Castries is further south and about twice as long and not worth the additional time or effort to get there. Bottom line is that the resort is located on a great stretch of beach and is very relaxing, with a friendly staff, but the meals were small, very small, and unreasonable priced. While a nice resort with good food and friendly service, we think there are better values elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: If you are spending the extra money to book a room with an "ocean view" be sure to ask if...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
AdamGobat, Owner at Cap Maison, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time spent with us. I wanted to provide clarification with regards to food portioning and quality. We source whenever possible, local fresh organic produce mostly from our beautiful and bountiful island of St Lucia - we try to provide a balanced meal within a great dining experience. Our portions are certainly not designed to be small but we appreciate everyone has different needs and whilst we appreciate all comments the lack of quantity is not a consistent feedback. Regarding pricing we offer both an a la carte menu plus a daily changing “Simply Maison” menu. The three course price for the Simply Maison menu is US$55 per person which we believe is very competitive within our market.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Did the Peak to Beach deal as we met friends at Ladera prior to Cap Maison. Honestly, did very little research and just added it to the trip as the deal was so good. Boy were we impressed! Gorgeous ocean front villa with roof top lounge, wet bar and pool. The property was stunning as was the service. We hardly wanted to leave the villa! When we did, we were treated to the wonderful Cliff restaurant and the fun and beautiful Smuggler's beach. Yes it is 90 steps down, but it is so worth it. We were surprised with grilled lobster on the beach one day -- incredible!! Cannot recommend this resort highly enough!

Room Tip: Spoil yourself with the rooftop pool villa...it's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thanks for writing your review and we are delighted that you took the decision to add Cap Maison on to your trip!!

I often have to encourage guests to escape their villas so I am pleased that you did and got to experience both the Cliff at Cap Restaurant and our pretty beach Smugglers Cove

Thanks for your endorsement!!

Kind regards

Ross Stevenson

General Manager - Cap Maison
Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I spent the 1st week of our two week honeymoon at the Cap Maison in one of their Ocean view Villa Suites with a jacuzzi. The suite is to die for! Even though I had seen pictures online; I couldn't believe how big it was and that we had not one but two private balconies and a private rooftop terrace. Our ocean view was spectacular, especially from the rooftop and we both loved falling asleep to the sounds of waves crashing every night. The staff was very friendly and accommodating at all times. We had such a great experience and our stay there was relaxing and beautiful. I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone looking for a top notch vacation or honeymoon and hope one day to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Cap Maison to spend your Honeymoon!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Villa suite with Jacuzzi and you had such a relaxing time - the sounds of the waves I am sure must have helped!!

We are delighted that you will return at some point in the future and we look forward to welcoming you both back!

With Kind Regards

Ross Stevenson
General Manager - Cap Maison
Amarillo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great location. Great property. We stayed at the Roof top pool room and was very spacious with a great view. My husband and I have travelled a lot but this was the first property we were disappointed with the service. We were told that it's a layed back life in the islands but when you stay at such expensive places a little better service is expected. Just to give one example, when we went to sit at the lounge chair near the main pool facing the ocean, we had to cover our own chaise with towels, move the umbrella to get shade and it was about 45 minutes before you were asked if we needed anything. Second example, before we checked in, it must have rained so the cushions were moved inside from the terrace pool. We waited till next day and it still was inside so we did it ourselves including opening the umbrella. No towels or any other amneties were placed at the pool area. There were other little things like room service never picked up anything from the balcony. Another disappointment was the food was ridicoulously expensive for the quality and quantity. The day we got there they had a set tapas menu for $55.00 Breakfast was a bare minimum with exactly the same few varieties of pastries and fruits. For such an expensive place not only you need a good location but also service and good food

AdamGobat, Owner at Cap Maison, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us due to service issues you experienced by the hotel's main pool and your private roof terrace pool which you highlighted in your review and in particular I wanted to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention as I now have had the opportunity of addressing these deficiencies with my team to ensure that we are consistent in our service delivery. I wanted to mention that due to possibility of inclement weather at certain times of the year we do not place pool towels on the open roof terrace although there are pool towels within all guests suites. Food is always an emotive subject as ones man’s feast is another man’s famine but I was surprised by your comments in relation to our Saturday Tapas evenings which is our most popular evening that we host. Typically guests receive -Tapas style - three appetizers, three main dishes and three desserts for US$55 which is very competitive with other high quality restaurants on the island. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the resort overall and your villa accommodation
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

St. Lucia is a lush tropical island with smaller intimate beaches - very safe and quiet compared to other tropical locales. We chose this resort for our honeymoon and stayed in a bungalow style villa with our own private infinity pool. Cap Maison is as peaceful as if you became stranded on a Caribbean island yet it's a 5 or 6 star resort that feels like you are staying at some Billionaire's private getaway. Everyone is polite and they give you all the privacy you desire. The staff are bright ambitious and attentive. The more seasoned staff are on the front desk, in the spa or dinner staff. The food is sophisticated and fresh but it's great to go into town and try a couple of the other restaurants.Our best dinner at Cap Maison was on Tuesday when we booked the private deck perched over the Caribbean sea - romantic doesn't begin to express the experience. Plus it was Creole Tapas night which added to the magic of the location. The car service is fantastic - Executive Car - competitive with cabs and far superior service.
If you want a party experience then go to Sandals - If you healthy then go to Le Spa.
Cap Maison is for a sophisticated private getaway island style.

Room Tip: Our Villa overlooked the ocean and our private pool was almost as large as the main pool. Our room w...
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Cap Maison is a wonderful resort with views to die for, a lovely beach and wonderful service. The staff is well trained, friendly & very helpful. The restaurant has excellent food. There is really no need to leave the resort but we did get around town a bit and checked out neighboring beaches, restaurants & attractions around Rodney Bay.

There are a few mosquitos in St. Lucia, but not as bad as what we have in Florida and the resort provided a natural mosquito repellent that worked great for us when we were sitting on the verandahs or going out in the evenings.

The air conditioning in St. Lucia is like most countries outside of the United States and I did hear some complaints from some Americans about being hot. I understand that electricity is very expensive in St. Lucia. I found it very adequate at the resort and we had nice ocean breezes as well.

The resort offers free use of kayaks, sailboats, floats & snorkeling equipment at the beach. There is a small outdoor grill & bar for lunch & drinks and Dunston & Craig were wonderful hosts.

We have traveled quite a bit around the world and this by far was one of our favorite resorts. It is beautiful beyond compare and has everything you could possibly need or want.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!