“Excellent food and service in comfortable surroundings.” 5 of 5 stars

The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Church Street, Wedmore BS28 4AB, England   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Wedmore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent food and service in comfortable surroundings.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Just had Sunday lunch here and couldn't fault the food or service.
Shame about all the missing artwork!! Some people will pinch fresh air if they
get the chance.
Seriously though myself and my wife would certainly reccomend the George and we will be returning soon.

• Stayed May 2012
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
A late thank you for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
West Chester, PA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at The George Hotel the week after Easter and had a wonderful experience. Our family of seven (grandparents, parents, three children) thoroughly enjoyed our stay, from the friendly bar staff to the delicious dinner and breakfast. We would recommend The George as the perfect place to stay and daytrip to Bath, Cheddar, Glastonbury and others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for such a kind (and accurate!) review. It was a pleasure to meet you all and have you here. Best wishes for the remainder of your trip.
Totnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Drove past on way to a near by pub and noticed a sign saying real fires ! That was enough on a cold night for me ! What a place ! just as a country pub should be, clean,tidy warm with a maze of rooms, all with fires roaring away. The candles made us feel mellow and relaxed. It was very busy when we went on a Tuesday night so had to wait a short time for a table. But the wait was worth it as the food was amazing. I had dory and my partner had the steak , it was beautiful. The staff were friendly,polite and helpful in a non intrusive way ,that suits me fine as i cannot stand being fussed over. Just wish i lived in Somerset as I have visited a couple of places in the Bristol area and never been let down on food.....Somerset Rocks, and i will return one day soon. Next time I shall book a room as they look amazing on their website.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks Martha, I am glad you enjoyed it. Please let me know personally if you would like to stay and I will happily make the arrangements for you.
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I live only a few miles from this pub and am very fond of it. It's decor is quirky and individual and, I think, suits the age of this ancient historic place with just a hint of a friendly ghost! The staff are smiling, good fun and friendly. The food is always great tasting with a contemporary, gastro-ey style and terrific value. Lovely garden to sit in during the summer too. I've also eaten at the 1760 pizza restaurant attached, which was very good and great for an event or celebration, but mostly end up at the pub for the cosy atmosphere and grub, especially the hand-cut chips!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for such nice comments. We need to know when we are wrong, but its always great to be told when we get it right too!
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We visited the George recently and enjoyed a delicious meal in wonderful surroundings, this place is a fine example of how a country pub should be. The waiter and waitress were very polite and made sure we had everything we needed. Unfortunately our evening was let down by the chef's wife, who obviously takes issue when women speak to her husband. It's a shame an otherwise pleasant evening was ruined.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Firstly I apologise for any upset caused to you from any member of staff. I am not currently aware of any problem occuring that you describe but would very much like to make contact to discuss it with you. If you wish, you could mail me at gordon@thegeorgewedmore.co.uk and it will come directly to me.

Secondly thank you for your otherwise positive review and the honesty you have displayed by not simply being negative about everything as sadly in the circumstances some people may. I am very glad you found things otherwise to your liking and only sorry that all did not end entirely well.

I very much look forward to having the opportunity to discuss this further with you.
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

They've recently reopened the 1760 Pizza and Pasta restaurant that's attached to this delicious 16th Century pub. It's always quite difficult to decide which place to eat because the food from the restaurant's chef Richard Sampson is absolutely delicious. We had my sister from France staying over the New Year and I found I had invited 16 people to lunch on New Year's Day. I didn't particularly want to cook masses of food and I'm sure none of them wanted a huge meal, so we ordered takeaway pizzas - three different kinds; the 1760 was really scrummy with hot chillis, chicken and meatballs, the Mexican had a delicious bbq sauce and the vegetarian was full of scrummy vegetables. I ordered far too many but my sister took a few up to London for the kids and we had lots of re-heated pizzas the following week and they all heated up a treat.

I must declare an interest because these guys have become friends (see below).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

just returned from our first visit to The George, very disappointed with service, only one member of staff serving the meals, lighting the fire and serving in the bar. My husband went to get me a second glass of wine from the bar but returned later to say there was no one to serve him and another customer had given up and walked out. The first course and starter took so long to arrive, the main meals were not hot, although i cant fault the steak, my husband had a trio of lamb but only found two lamb dishes on his plate and when he questioned the young girl serving she said, well it is there its small, I saw the chef put it on, well all three of us eating couldnt see it! The setting is gorgeous, the building so pretty and loved the decor, but lacked atmosphere, we had to ask for the dessert menu after the waitress walked past us a number of times, she then proceeded the clear the tables and move the furniture rather thnan cming back to take our order, leaving us to make the decision we would give dessert a miss and find a coffee elsewhere in the village! Payed the bill and left , wasnt asked once if we were happy with our meal. Its the first time I have written on one of these sites and I am not a "complainer" by any means, but its such a shame that the food was on the whole good and the setting lovely but employing just one member of staff has just made the whole experience disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
We are very disappointed to hear that the level of service you received fell short of the standard we would both expect. I am very sorry that these problems occurred ,and if the matter had been bought to our attention at the time we would have done our best to rectify things.

Whilst I realise it does not change your experience, we were very short staffed on a couple of days in December and this was one of them. We normally have at least two people during weekday lunch service, so would not expect this to be an ongoing problem.

I have also taken note of your comments that at no time were you asked if all was well and have reinforced the importance of this to our staff, together with the importance of constantly maintaining the high level of service our customers deserve.

I have also discussed your review with our head chef. We do not serve trio of lamb lunchtimes so perhaps some misunderstanding occurred in relation to this.

We take the feedback we receive from our customers very seriously whether good, as thankfully it normally is, or more negative, as in this instance.

As you also kindly raise a number of positive points I hope that we may see you again in the future and that these negative points will no longer be part of your experience.

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!