“Fabulous Food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Bath, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Love this pub... really love this pub. The building is an old coaching inn and the main bar just as you might expect. Lovely atmosphere, fragrant log fires, great choice of beer and cider. The restaurant is indeed shabby chic and rather endearing, with lovely floorboards and old mirrors on the walls. One of the evenings we went, everything in there was candlelit and it was a magical experience.

As for the food... I have eaten there half a dozen times now and each meal has been sublime. Lovely fresh seafood, mouthwatering steaks, great burgers. Portion size is good, not for you if you want mountains of ready-made chips (the chips are home-made and pretty special), but certainly enough food to satisfy my large and hungry, rugby-playing husband.

The puds are extra special. Delicious!

I've seen the George described as second choice to the Swan - not for me. The Swan tends to attract the 'Audi Convertible Set' and is always over-crowded and over-priced. The atmosphere isn't a patch on the lovely George. As a bonus, I've never been treated with anything less than courtesy and efficiency by Gordon and his staff. I really want to highly recommend this wonderful inn.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
beerhound123, Owner at The George Inn Pub, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely and amusing review.
We hope to see you again soon.

Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Beers good ...food overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our way back from a morning out in nearby Cheddar, the establishment is pleasant and quirky, the menu looked appealing.
We ordered our food at the bar, Roast beef for my husband (£16 a serving) and roast stuffed pork loin (£14 a serving) for myself, we took our drinks out to the rear beer garden and waited....and waited...and waited. Once the food arrived, without cutlery to eat it which was rectified, it appeared dry and conjealed. I think this was due to the fact it possibly had been left waiting under a heat lamp for to long and no way was the two small slices of meat on my husbands plate what you would describe as rare (as it had stated on the menu) the portions were not huge either (I literally had two slices of meat a small portion of both mustard mash and braised leeks) but we were both starving so beggars couldn't be choosers! To be honest this is possibly the worse meal out I have had in years, even a main course at a Fayre and Squaure/Whitbread pub are of a higher quality and very much cheaper. My husband told them on departing that their beer is good but we were not impressed by the food, so I'd recomend this pub for a drink but would never eat here again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sorry to hear the food was not up to its normal standard.
If you'd like to try again please contact us directly and we will ensure a lunch is on the house.
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, but not friendly to strangers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Mother and I stopped there for a meal after a dismal, rainy day and the warmth of the cosy bar drew us in. The two steaks we ordered were delicious and they certainly didn't scrimp on portions, whilst being reasonably priced. However, I did distinctly get the impression that we weren't welcome the moment I opened my mouth and a non-Somerset accent came out. Their whole manner appeared to change. Fortunately, we were both too hungry and soggy to care much what the barmaid said to us! From the looks of it, it's a very warm, welcoming place, if you're known to the staff & I saw many guests being treated well.

I would recommend this restaurant, but go into it a bit thick skinned or you're likely to be offended!

Visited May 2013
Axbridge, United Kingdom
“Always Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Excellent uncomplicated Menu with fantastic Burgers, great choice of Beer and lovely location. Does not come much better for a Country easy going Pub/Restaurant. Now a regular destination, try it and I am sure you will regard it as highly as I do!
Great wall paper in the Gents as well!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great food, great pub but service a little disjointed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Second visit to this great little country pub, decor is good and has that lovely cosy pub feel especially with the fires lit. Food is also a plus, the first time I ate I had a beef and black pudding burger, it was absolutely amazing! Second time was a Schnitzel for me and was OK, not great but certainly not poor. Their triple cooked chips are amazing and deserts again are excellent.

The only thing that has been a let down on both trips was the service, now don't get me wrong all the staff are very polite and very friendly! On both trips however we were sometimes given the impression that it all could have been a bit smoother. For example the first time we were left waiting at the bar to be shown to our seats while the staff seemed busy with other things, it wasn't that busy. Second time we were there a drink failed to come to the table after being ordered. The length of time to get the mains, although not a huge amount of time felt a little longer than it should have been and from when the first main was put on the table to the last main was around 5 minutes (there was only 5 of us). Nothing major but I felt it could do with some improvement.

Overall this is a great pub, great food and we'll definitely be back a third time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere