“A retreat to civilisation” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thoresby Park, Ollerton NG22 9WH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ollerton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kettering, England, United Kingdom
“A retreat to civilisation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My first experience of a Warner's break (at a different hotel) was around 10 years ago. It wasn't great and so I was a little apprehensive when hubby and I were invited to spend a 70's weekend with the family at Thoresby Hall to celebrate some 'milestone' birthdays. My concerns were quashed from the moment we checked in and we had a thoroughly enjoyable (if slightly silly) weekend!

Set in acres of parkland and with it's own extensive grounds, the hall itself is beautiful and contains the suites and 'posh' rooms, along with various bars, restaurants, lounges, games room, reading room, etc. Our room was on the 3rd floor of one of the modern accommodation wings; the ground floor rooms have their own little patios with table and chairs. Our room was very comfortable and a good size with bags of storage space and a huge bed made of two singles pushed together (I kept losing my hubby!). My only slight niggle was that the shower was over the bath with a glass screen to prevent soaking the floor; it was a little cramped and I still managed to soak the floor! This was outweighed, however, by the excellent water pressure, something I really appreciate in a hotel.

We were fed and watered on a Bed, breakfast and dinner basis. We were allocated a table for the duration of our stay and, within the restaurant opening times, could eat whenever we pleased. Outside of that food is served all day in the bar and lounge areas. The restaurant food was excellent. Breakfast was the usual self-serve continental and traditional English, with additional 'served to table' options. Dinner was 3 courses with the main course either carvery or from the menu and no one seemed to mind if a bit of 'pick'n'mixing' went on! In the main restaurant some people 'dressed for dinner', some didn't, both seemed acceptable. The alternative restaurant is in the 'Blue Room' and is the posh option for a fine dining treat, coming with an additional charge of around £20 per person. Again, one minor niggle; the bar food was not to the standard of the restaurant food, however it was reasonably priced and they do great chips!

The activities are varied, including quizzes, walks, dance lessons, 'shooting hoops', pitch and putt (on a rather rugged green), bowling, singing, archery, etc. The best activity, in my opinion, I didn't even get to go on... This is a walk around the grounds with a hawk or owl on your wrist while learning about the sport of falconry. The additional £10 charge looked well worth it to me. This activity is only available two days a week; Saturday being one, with various times available. Even so, I managed not to get a spot, which brings me to my main piece of advice regarding activities... places are very limited, so if you see one you fancy in the activity schedule you're given on check in, book yourself a place ASAP!

On to the evening entertainment. As already mentioned, this was a '70's' weekend. Friday evening was the normal welcome. The Entertainment Team introduced themselves and performed a medley of songs to sing, clap and sway along to; the resident comedian had the usual line in cheesey jokes, magic tricks and audience member participation (aka humiliation); and the resident band played plenty of favourites to dance the night away.

Saturday was the big ABBA event, with tribute band Abbadabbadoo. The evening began with silly party games. I'd gone for a lie down so didn't experience this first hand, but my husband had paired up with his sister and said they had a brilliant time! Then on to ABBA. Bjorn and Benny's wigs looked like they were kept in a cage when not in use, but the girls worked their way through lots of ABBA favourites. After a break they stopped being Swedish and became English to play a medley of 70's hits. There was plenty of dancing and singing along from the audience and the atmosphere was lively and friendly. Sunday night seemed to be the regular 'farewell' concert.

What I noticed with the evening entertainment was that many guests seemed to dine early so they could get good seats. Reserved VIP seats were available, but I didn't feel they offered good value for money. Then, as soon as the main entertainment finished, most people disappeared, many to the Pavillion bar next door to listen to a member of the entertainment team crooning or playing the piano. This meant the dancing 'till dawn disco had few takers and the music was kept fairly quiet so as not to interfere with the ongoing entertainment in the bar.

Thoresby also boasts a spa and swimming pool. As I wasn't too worried about treatments, I booked a couple of massages when I could be fitted in, but I think that anyone wanting specific treatments would be wise to book them before arrival. The spa is a modern, clean and comfortable environment. Personally, I would describe the massages as 'adequate'; I've had better and I've had worse, but they were relaxing and pleasant. I didn't try the pool, but it didn't look busy whenever I looked. The spa staff were all very friendly and professional, making sure the spa experiences were relaxing and calming.

In fact I think this is where Thoresby really shines - I found 99% of the staff to be exceptional in terms of their service, friendliness, professionalism, patience and thoughtfulness. Ours was not the easiest party to deal with, but we were genuinely made to feel like nothing was too much trouble. The young lady who served our table at mealtimes quickly learned our little quirks and had things ready for us without having to be asked twice; the entertainment team seemed to be constantly 'switched on' and, when not actually performing, they went out of their way to talk to guests and make them feel welcome; the housekeeping team clearly took pride in their work and also made us feel welcome and well cared for.

Our party ranged from 36 to 92 years of age, so it was interesting to see how Thoresby coped with providing a good experience that spanned the ages. On the whole I feel they succeeded. Hubby and I had a thoroughly enjoyable time and I came home very relaxed and upbeat. On telling my own parents about it I'm hoping we'll get to go again in the near future with the other side of the family. My hubby's parents, who visit Warner hotels regularly, advised us to ignore the brochure prices, as there always seems to be deals and special rates available.

So, my visit to Thoresby has turned me into a Warners advocate and I would recommend a visit to anyone who wants to escape the chaos of normal life for a little while.

Room Tip: In my opinion a 'signature' room provides plenty of space and comfort. The modern wings are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ian G, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Thoresby Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013

Wow!

Thank you for taking so much of your valuable time to leave such a great review, it was great to read your detail about the Hotel, food, rooms, entertainment and ambience and I am delighted we immediately eased your fears on arrival of the experience you had before.

I was also really happy to read that the team looked after you and your party well and we would love to see you again in the future

Ian Gyte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Stevenage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I visited Thoresby Hall 19 Aug 2013 for a 4 night break. Everything was as expected of a Warner break.
Firstly, Park in the turning circle at the front of the hotel. Drop off your luggage, about 30 yards to Reception. Park the car and back to reception. There are Porters around to help. We stayed in a Historic room in the main house. This is quite a long trek through the long corridors. You will meet many clients trying to find their way around. Can be a bit of a wait for the lift, on the first and last day. BEWARE of the lift doors; they start to close pretty quickly. I and several other quests got quite a nasty reminder of this when they started to close. There does not appear much of a safety strip on the leading edge of the door.

The Restaurant as usual had the tables too close together, I requested an alternative and was given a table in a smaller offshoot of the main dining area. Apart from this the food was the normal high standard I have come to expect at Warner’s. The meals may look a bit small when first seen, but I find them more than ample. You can always go to the Calvary for more Veg if needed. The service was always quick and polite.

We had Full Board on our stay. This is not worth the effort. You are given 3 vouchers each for your stay. You have to use them in the Pavilion Bar. The Menu was the same for the 3 day’s. Very limited choice!

The Pool. Following a previous review on Trip Advisor, I was a bit sceptical about the pool temperature. There was no need. The pool was just right. The only gripe was the Spin Drier for your trunks in the men’s changing room was not working. I gather from a regular to the Spa that this had been on its last legs for a while. Please get this fixed!!!!!

The Entertainment was always worth going to in the Late Lounge. On our visit we had a Tribute to the Everly Brothers by The Temple Brother’s. And a comedienne, Brenda Collins. Both were very good.

What did annoy many guests was, on the Thursday at Dance times, there appeared to be 2 couples from outside on the dance floor. They were good dancers, but they did dominate the dance floor and intimidated many of the older couples. They didn’t bother to dance, as indeed I didn’t.

Outside Activities. The Putting green as usual with the hotels we have visited in the past needed sorting out. The metal hole inserts were sometimes above the actual hole, so almost impossible to sink the ball in the hole. Thoresby Hall was better than some I have used. The Bowling Green needs a bit of TLC. Being a type of carpet it plays quite fast and the woods tend to do their own thing. I found playing a short Jack worked a lot better. The Croquet lawn was playable, I had to re-insert a couple of the hoops into the lawn. They had sunk too low into the lawn.

We Walked with the Hawks £10 each extra. Well worth it. See Picture of BUZZ

Overall it was an enjoyable stay. We have booked another trip for next Easter to Thoresby Hall. I’ll also let you know what Norton Grange on the Isle of White is like in a few weeks! We are off there in September.

Room Tip: Park in the turning circle at the front of the hotel. Drop off your luggage, about 30 yards to Recep...
Hello,

Thank you for posting such a good review, I was delighted that you had a great stay with us and thank you for the few observations you made on how we can improve.

I hope you enjoy your future Warner breaks and we see you again soon

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Went back to Thorsby after a few years and was disappointed. The rooms and grounds are still lovely but entertainment was 2nd rate to how it was. Always had a yesteryear artist or band on as top billing but this year seemed to rely on own staff most of the time. Think recession as hit home but was not cheap for bank hol weekend. Food was good as usual and spa top rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ian G, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Thoresby Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay. It is good to read that you enjoyed the food, rooms and grounds.

Entertainment is always a matter of taste and I was sorry to read you did not enjoy the acts you experienced this time, we always try and balance between headline cabarets such as Russell Watson, Elaine Page, Billy Ocean and Jason Donovan and in house entertainment and across all hotels this is something we invest in heavily every year.

Once again thank you for your comments

Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We recently stayed for a music weekend as we have previously stayed at other Warner properties. The food was good and the entertainment was excellent but the room (in particular the bathroom) let it down badly. We had a historic room in the old Hall and i had requested a walk in shower as I am currently using crutches and am not very mobile. The walk in shower had a very high step up to it, was extremely narrow and was not equipped with even one grab bar. Outside the shower was a marble mantle from an old fireplace which could be lethal if one slipped coming down the high step from the shower. Some staff I spoke to said that they get lots of complaints from their many older visitors about the danger of the showers but that nothing is done about it. Please carry out a safety audit and risk assessments on these bathrooms. Visitors should be told in advance that the bathrooms are only suitable for those who are fully fit. Also the gardens are only accessible by descending long flights of stone steps again without handrails OR taking an extremely long walk around the property. The Reception and entertainment pavilion are a long way from the old hall and again require lengthy walks to reach them.

Room Tip: Avoid the historic rooms if you are not fully mobile and fit. The dining area and entertainment area...
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and entertainment and take on board your comments on the room and gardens.

I can only apologise that you found them challenging, often we are governed by the National Heritage on areas such as our historic bedrooms and in particular our grade 1 listed gardens but we do everything we can to make them accessible and I am satisfied the correct safety measures are in place.

One again thank you for commenting.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We recently went to Thoresby Hall, which is a Warners Holiday by Kirby Coaches, and it was really lovely. The gardens are lovely to walk around, lots of walking. Our driver took us out on some trips during our stay. The food was excellent, and the staff were very helpful. We had a lovely room with a nice view. There are lifts if you need them, and everything available for wheelchairs and those who have a disability. If you are into sports or other exercise, there is a Gym and a lovely swimming pool and spa. Entertainment in the evenings if you like that sort of thing, we always find it far too loud, so we do more walking around the gardens, it helps if you have good weather, which we did. Highly recomended

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a view. Most rooms are away from any noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for posting such a lovely review, I was also delighted to read that as part of one of our many coach visitors that you found the time to tell other about the short break you enjoyed with us. As you know we have operators that pick up all over the UK.

I do hope you will be back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just return from a short break at Thoresby Hall. The service we received was first class. Checking in was simple and easy with no hassle. The room was larger than expected and spotlessly clean. Staff were very friendly and always on hand to assist you if needed. I am a fussy eater but there was certainly something for everyone at meal times, the food was always hot, fresh and plentiful and the service spot on.
We didn't participate in any day time activities but they looked very popular and good fun
Overall we had a wonderful time here with beautiful grounds to wander around and relax in and a great staff & management team. Look forward to coming back. :)

Hello,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. It is so good to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was delighted that the team looked after you well and you will be returning to enjoy a future break with us. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend at the warner hotel. Bit worried as we are a young(ish) couple (late 30's) and having read some of the reviews were a little worried, but loved the look of the hotel and the location so thought lets do it.

Was not disappointed, room clean and certainly large enough for us two. Staff very friendly from arrival at reception to restaurant staff. Little bit of a wait at dinner time, but catering for that amount of people understandable and we were not in a hurry to have our dinner, so more time to relax.

Entertainment (although not all to our liking) was excellent and a lot of people were enjoying the evenings entertainment. For me an enjoyable time had and would recommend this hotel to all my friends - will be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian G, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Thoresby Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is fantastic to read you enjoyed your stay and the rooms and Hotel ambience were so good that you will be back to see us again soon.

Ian Gyte

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Thoresby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!