“Wish we had gone to Premier Inn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Village Urban Resort Nottingham

Save Saved
You added Village Urban Resort Nottingham to your Saves list
Village Urban Resort Nottingham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brailsford Way, Chilwell, Nottingham NG9 6DL, England (Formerly De Vere Village Nottingham)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Chilwell
Nottingham
“Wish we had gone to Premier Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This hotel was nothing like the modern / clean looking images on the website. The walls were full of dirty marks and cobwebs. The TV had a thick layer of dust on, although was very impressed with the size of a tv for a hotel room. The bed was more like a 3/4 bed than double so was very 'cosy'. No accessories in the bathroom where there were places for them, eg empty tissue box and soap holder. Only 1 set of towels for both of us to share. We stayed on a very hot night and the hotel has no air conditioning and the windows have a safety catch on them so hardly opened. Even if we could open them, the windowsill was so deep (thick walls) you couldn't feel a thing. The hotel did kindly provide us with a fan upon request, but was a feeble excuse for a fan and you could hardly feel it. Also, as we were on the front of the hotel, guests arriving back late from a night out (around 1am) were extremely loud and a large group congregated around the entrance steps directly below our room for around half an hour shouting and singing, there should be respect for fellow guests.
On a positive note the restaurant was lovely and the food was very nice, highly recommend the lemon and herb chicken with fries - not chips and orange infused carrots yum!
I would not recommend the hotel on the whole and will not be visiting again. We usually stay at the Premier Inn but decided on this for a change, will not be doing that again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
norwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

I ate the worst carbonara ever. It was a slosh of wet grey pasta and I was hard pressed to find anything in it!

The good is that the majority of the staff do their very best to be pleasant, helpful and accomodating. The pool is superb.

The bad is the shabbiness of the place particularly the bedrooms. My room smelt strongly musty and I could not get rid of the smell even with the windows open - the bathroom was very smelly. I have stayed here for years and watched it gradually deteriorate. You used to get lovely shower gel and very nice biscuits. The rooms used to be much better cared for. They really do ,need to pull their socks up.

The bad was being rudely confronted after getting some room service, because I did not have a credit card. Evidently debit cards do not hold for much in this hotel because, as I was aggressively informed, if there was no money in my account then the hotel do not get their money. Umm

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Billingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I arrived at the hotel around about midday on Saturday 10 April having booked the hotel through Lastminute.com and paying £59 per room inc breakfast. I did of course look on tripadvisor, as I always do, and wish I had gone with my first instincts.

First impressions from the outside were OK, even though it is set just off from Chilwell Retail Park. Parking is not a problem here and free. Upon entering the hotel the reception did look a bit faceless and could certainly do with a cheering up. Whilst I waited for my husband to arrive I checked to see if our room would be ready, even though check in was officially at 3pm. Of course it wasn't but that wasn't an issue.

We decided to go into the city and have a browse and make the most of the beautiful sunshine. Whilst out, I rang the hotel at 3pm to ensure that our room had been allocated to us which of course it had.

We eventually got back to the hotel around 6pm and checked in. Check in was uninteresting and quick. She did ask us of course if we would like to leave a swipe of our card so we could charge items to our room. As we did not intend to eat at the hotel we decided we wouldn't. Whilst walking away from the hotel, she called me back with the cards and insisted on placing a red dot on the cards so we couldn't charge items to the room. Hmmmmmm.

When we got to our room (225) we entered and first impressions were NOT good at all. The room smelt unclean - it looked shabby - and it was most certainly dirty. Lets just say I kept my shoes on.

I was NOT impressed.

I inspected the dated bathroom which had chips out of the bathroom suite and looked like it was from the 1970s. I wanted to change rooms but was so tired I simply couldn't be bothered.

Breakfast the next morning was nothing to write home about either. The service was non existent. The food was cheap and tasteless.

This was the only thing which spoilt our weekend.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE !!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Chilwell hotels

wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

I stayed here for one night whilst passing through, they don't tell you it's virtually on a retail park! We struggled with our luggage from the car park as no porter and the trolleys had a mind of their own. Our twin room was dire, the single beds narrow, high and very wobbly, the room was cold and could hear the noise from fans/aircon outside, we may just of been unlucky but the room did not look anything like the brochure or the website. Tired, outdated and not very clean. Dinner was pretty awful too, vegetable curry so, so, watery you couldn't call it soup. Breakfast was average too. Oh and don't expect a great welcome, "how are you paying for your stay" was one of the first comments!

• Stayed March 2010
lancsexile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Returned for our second visit to this hotel whilst visiting friends in the area. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful and we had a smooth check-in. Rooms are clean and functional, beds very comfortable and the kids like the relatively large flatscreen tv and free wifi. Fortunately our rooms were close this time as last year our rooms were far apart and on different floors. It is not the easiest of hotels to find your way around when taking the lift from reception.
The bar and lounge areas provided us with a pleasant and comfortable venue to meet up with friends who joined us for drinks in the evening.
The main appeal of this hotel being the leisure facilities - especially the pool. Unfortunately for us, children must vacate the pool by 19:00 but this enables adult guests and leisure club users to have a more peaceful experience!
The buffet breakfast was ok but choice - particularly of the continental breakfast items - was more limited on the second morning as supplies were depleted.
If you intend to use the restaurant for dinner, I would advise reserving a table on arrival at the hotel as we were unable to get a table on our first night. Food served in the bar is overpriced (especially if you have several children to feed) and the menu quite basic. I was also surprised to see a guest being allowed to bring a small dog into the bar when food was being served all around. There is another pub by the crossroads on the main road (and another two a short drive towards Nottingham) which serves food (typical chain pub fayre) and of course McDonalds facing the hotel! Also across the main road is a small shopping precinct with a Tesco Express, Lidl supermarket & a couple of takeaways. Retail Park at the side of the hotel includes Next Outlet, Matalan, Sports World and Halfords.
We arrived by train at Attenborough station which is about a 10 minute walk. Buses to Nottingham and Derby stop every few minutes on the main road so although you would probably be best arriving by car it is not impossible to arrive by public transport.
My gripe is with the Village Hotels online booking system which does not automatically give you the best price or show you on one page all the available offers and discounts. I found (through searching all the drop down menus/tabs) special rates for families and for dinner inclusive packages. I also discovered that the package price for 2 adults plus 1 child was cheaper than for 1 adult and 2 children in the same room and the cheapest room for 2 adults & 1 child was a King size room which can take a fold-up bed, so beware!
We had considered the rooms to be adequately soundproofed until our final night. An amorous couple in the next room made OUR wall and bed shake with their nocturnal activities! Fortunately ourchildren's room was further away and they were not disturbed.
Finally, we would use the hotel again but only at special offer rates.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Super, staff friendly - nice central location - just the job!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

A very large budget hotel with lots of parking on a retail park.Slightly out of town though there are 2 reasonable pubs within walking distance,Really good leisure facilities and pool.Breakfast was slightly above average with a decent choice.Really nice walk down the adjacent Barton Lane to Attenborough nature reserve and the river Trent.Rooms were a decent size and were cleanish.Didn't like the fact that the remains of room service meals were left outside outside of several rooms for the whole day.
My issue is that we had booked a twin room.It was a seriously long walk to our room via a lift up and then a further lift down.We arrived at our room to find it was a double a not a twin.Tried to call reception but phone didn't work,Loads of baggage(Christmas presents) and tired from our journey we decided to stay put and sort it in the morning.Morning came,had breakfast and then went to reception to resolve the room situation.We were advised that there were no clean rooms available but that if we packed our bags and left them in our room they were be transferred to our requested twin room which would be available upon our return.
Returned early evening collected new keys and on arrival found that our bags had duly been put in our room.Great.Getting ready to go out that evening I heard somebody 'tampering' with the door lock.I looked through the spyhole and saw a man with a bag trying to gain entry.As the door opened I pulled it open myself to confront the man.My wife who was getting changed after a shower was very shocked as indeed was the man who it transpired was a new arrived guest that had been given keys(electronic) for OUR room.We tried to resolve the situation by calling reception but again the phone didn't work.The chap waited while we finished dressing and we all went to reception to resolve.We were offered apologies and our room key was re-scanned and the other guest was given a different room.
I have written to the hotel since to ask how this could happen and whether that had any failsafes installed to ensure that this couldn't happen again.I eventually got a reply to advise that this was down to human error although no mention of any sort of failsafe procedures was made.
As far as I am concerned we had a lucky escape.The other guest could have turned up when we were out and helped himself to our possesions or worse still if my wife was alone in the room - it doesn't bear thinking about.
Please this in mind if staying here - there are chains on the doors - would suggest that you use them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Village Urban Resort Nottingham? Share your experiences!