“Dream Wedding in fabulous ComlongonCastle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comlongon Castle Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clarencefield
Comlongon Castle Hotel
Clarencefield DG1 4NA, Scotland   |
Dronfield Woodhouse, Derbyshire
“Dream Wedding in fabulous ComlongonCastle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Our daughter Sarah and our new Son in law Chris chose Comlongon Castle to hold their wedding. They could not have chosen a more suitable venue in our opinion. The Castle is fabulous, the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful at all times. Nothing was too much trouble, their organisation made planning the wedding seamless and stressless from start to finish. Everything was taken care of and nothing was left to chance. Whilst planning the wedding my daughter often remarked " why do brides get stressed?" Comlongon Castle made everything easy and straightforward.

The wedding banquet was exceptional and everyone had a wonderful time. It was such a fabulous day none of our guests wanted to break the spell by leaving next morning! Anyone wanting a fairytale wedding in an outstanding setting would be advised to consider Comlongon Castle.

Sarah and Chris had a civil wedding in the garden and later in the evening had a celtic "Handfasting" cermony in the Castle, and I would recommend this ceromony as it was full of meaning and very unusual. All in all Comlongon Castle is a marvellous place to celebrate a wedding.

• Stayed April 2009

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I have just come back from a one night stay at Comlongon Castle to visit the wedding co-ordinator. We visited the Castle in March for the open day and saw a few areas, but this weekend gave us a proper chance to see the whole venue and we were not disappointed.

Comlongon Castle is simply one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too! The long driveway builds excitement of what is to come and once there you are treated as a king or queen of the Castle.

The room was beautifully decorated, the evening meal and following morning breakfast were delicious too. I couldn't fault it!

Sadly we don't get married until December, so we have ages to wait until we experience it again. If you are looking for a wedding venue, we can't recommend Comlongon Castle enough, especially if you live in the Midlands as the journey up the M6 couldn't be easier.

One word of warning, if you are taking children who need to sleep in cots, they can only stay in a double room. I'm sure this is stated somewhere on their website, but we didn't know and it could have messed up our room plan, thankfully the Castle was very helpful and we are very grateful.

Roll on December!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Myself and the bridesmaids arrived at the castle on 1st April. The staff were really friendly and helpful and showed me where to leave the wedding cake, favours, and place cards so that the staff could access them next day and lay them out in the banqueting room. We had a drink in the bar in the evening and had a mini 'hen night' for my youngest bridesmaid. The lady behind the bar asked us if we would like any particular music played over the sound system in the bar which was a nice touch.

In the morning we had a lovely breakfast with a good choice on the menu, there was something for everyone. The service at breakfast was excellent and the staff were so friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them.

I had arranged for a hairdresser to come to the castle to do my youngest bridesmaid's hair at 10:00 a.m.. She was one of the recommended suppliers on the castle website and I have to say that she turned up exactly on time and did the bridesmaids hair exactly how I asked her to. I was thrilled and so was the bridesmaid, she looked a picture and her curls stayed in all day long.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky outside so myself and the girls wandered about the gardens and went into the 'keep' where the wedding ceremony was to take place to sort out the sound system. My friends kept asking me lots of questions about where they were to stand, who went in first and all that sort of stuff but I wasn't able to answer. I needn't have worried, the Wedding Co-ordinators took care of absolutely everything.

They laid the banqueting hall out as per my table plan. I had a sneaky look before my guests started to arrive and it looked fabulous, all laid out exquisitely, complete with candelabra and ice buckets. My guests arrived early and sat outside in the glorious sunshine on the fabulous sun terrace which is surrounded by beautiful gardens and a feature pond which has water cascading from a viewing platform from which you can feed the koi carp. They all checked in at 12:30, just in time for their welcome buffet at 1:00p.m. The staff brought a selection from the buffet on a tray upstairs to the room that myself and the bridesmaids were in, it was really tasty, my guests all said that they knew they were in for a nice meal if the standard of the buffet was anything to go by. The staff had showed them the menu after their arrival and taken their individual orders. There were 5 choices of main course!!

I had spoken to a member of staff earlier in the day and asked if they could get the groom's parents round to the keep earlier as they were elderly and I wanted them to take their time getting up the spiral stairs. They arranged for them to be in reception at 2:30p.m. for a member of staff to escort them.

The photographer arrived at the castle in plenty of time for the 3:00p.m. wedding, he too was one of the listed suppliers.

The co-ordinators had spoken to the groom earlier and explained that the piper (arranged by the wedding co-ordinators)would come to the balcony outside of the drawing room at 2;45p.m. to pipe him, the best man and the rest of the guests around to the 'keep' where the cermony was to take place. The photographer caputured those moments and then came up to the bedroom to photograph myself, the bridesmaids and my dad who had just joined us. He asked if I wanted anything special... once again I was made to feel that it was all about me and the focus of everyone involved was to make sure that we had a great day.

The piper came back round to the hotel to collect the bridal party and we walked behind him round to the keep where the guests were all waiting. The co-ordinators took over again, carrying my flowers so that I could hold my dress up whilst climbing the stairs...they then carefully explained where everyone inside was standing and where me and dad should walk to once inside. When the door opened it all looked fab, a log fire in the inglenook fireplace and the candles in the huge candleabras either side were all lit.

. I was so overwhelmed by the occasion I could barely say my vows.

After the ceremony the photographer took pictures of the bridal party and guests in the 'keep' and then in the stunning gardens. The sun terrace was a beautiful place for the guests to sit and have a drink whilst we awaited the commencement of the evening festivities which started with the banquet at 6:00p.m. Sure enough, on the dot, the wedding party was called inside and the guests were all taken to their seats. Myself and the groom were asked to wait whilst this happened and we were then introduced to our guests by the co-ordinators who opened the double doors and showed us into the room to the applause of our guests. It was superb. The ambience they had created by closing the shutters on the windows and lighting the candles was terrific.

The food was amazing, the white wine had been chilled and the red wine allowed to breath. Not only did the food taste magnificent it looked amazing, almost too good to eat. It was cooked to perfection and arranged on the plates like a work of art. I have eaten at some expensive restaurants and can honestly say that the food we had at Comlongon Castle was second to none. Each and every one of our guests commented on the food and how tasty it was.

Later we danced to a live band, (arranged by the wedding co-ordinators) the young man that fronted the band (Grant) was really talented and could not only sing but he was a wizard on the harmonica. He interspersed the evening with a kayleigh dance which all the guests were happy to have a go at. The main event was the sword dancing competition ...it was hilarious!!!! There's no hard skin left on my guests feet!!!

All in all it was a perfect day in a perfect setting taken care of by excellent staff.

I forgot to mention the rooms...they are all spotlessly clean, sympathetically furnished in keeping with a castle and some have recently had refitted bathrooms with roll top baths and walk in showers. As we had booked all of the rooms for the evening, some of the guests were staying in honeymoon suites, some of which still have a full size jacuzzi in them which my guests loved. A great place to eat their complimentary chocolates and drink their complimentary champagne. Nice big fluffy white towels to dry yourselves on afterwards!!!! Guests in these rooms also had the option of having breakfast delivered to their rooms. I guess we were all a bit spoilt!!

I would recommend that if anyone was planning a wedding in a castle in Scotland you make it Comlongon Castle, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2009
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

If you are looking for the most perfect place to have your wedding then look no further. Cannot tell you how amazing our wedding day was. The staff made the day magical and the setting is beautiful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

After much research on Comlongon Castle I decided to take up the offer of a Try before you buy night, which basically means you pay for your accommodation and meal but if you book Comlongon as your wedding venue they refund the amount.

First Impressions ... Amazing although there was some building work going on outside rebuilding a ruin in the grounds. I stayed in one of the honeymoon suites, room 3 that has a Jacuzzi bath but no shower, ironically there is a sign saying no shampoo or shower gel to be taken into the Jacuzzi?? The room was beautiful although after a tour of the hotel the other rooms have been considerably updated with beautiful bathrooms, I would recommend that room 3 receive the same treatment.

The check in staff are adorable and Rosemary the wedding co-coordinator is going to be worth her weight in gold, she pretty much knew everything I was going to ask her before I even opened my wedding planner. The evening meal was lovely and no complaints at all, the service was efficient without the feeling of being rushed and the young waitress was A1+ The only thing I would say is I did have to ask for a wine menu after our starters but who cares - I didn’t!!

Now onto the Bar - cozy and snug lit with candles overlooking the grounds and the lady who served us was equally as friendly and knowledgeable as the rest of the staff, when we returned to our room after a wee dram there was a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates. The four-poster is HUGE and a perfect nights sleep.

Breakfast was served in the room after the staff phoned us the night before and it was lovely again service was faultless. The rest of the morning was spent with the wedding co-coordinator and looking around the keep and the grounds. I have reserved my wedding for December 2010 and looking forward to the wedding Fayre on the 1st March. This is perhaps one of the most unusual wedding venues I have been and certainly one of the most efficient and non-pretentious! The only constructive negative I would say is the downstairs public toilets are a little shabby and could do with a facelift but lets face it people don’t spend that much time in there.

Thanks to all for a wonderful stay and I look forward to returning.

• Liked — Faultless in everyway
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
South Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!!
We were married at the castle last year and were extemely impressed by the professionalism and helpfulness of the owners and staff. Right from day one with the easy to use web site including a wedding calculator so you can see at a glance if the castle will be within budget.
It provides excellent value for money in my opinion, bettering similar venues that cost tens of thousands for a similar wedding.
We knew on our first visit that it would be somewhere special to marry, even though it meant waiting 18 months for the correct date (they get booked up well in advance) it was certainly worth the wait.
The castle and grounds are beautiful and provide an intimate and romantic setting allowing guests to roam and mingle at leisure, with plenty of indoor rooms providing the same should the weather turn bad.
Accommodation is very good with most, if not all, of the guest rooms refurbished last year to a high standard. Many were done by the time of our wedding in late May and those which had'nt at that time certainly caused no complaints from guests.
The ceremony in the great hall was exactly what we wanted, not stuffy and boring, but relaxed and enjoyable for both us and the guests.
We enjoyed Pimms out on the lawn before the evening banquet, which I believe was a first for the hotel and certainly proved sucessful
The food and service during the meal was excellent, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. This continued on into the evening with a well stocked bar and excellent live band booked by the castle.
The whole day went very smoothly, finely oiled by the excellent staff.

There is plenty more good things to be said about Comlongon, but the bottom line is if you are thinking of getting married somewhere a bit different, other than a church or registry office, give them a look, it really is a no brainer !!!!!

Thanks again Comlongon for a wonderful, relaxing and enjoyable day.

• Stayed May 2008
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

We got married at Comlongon Castle and we cannot sing their praises enough. The Castle and grounds are stunning and truly beautiful, the food is outstanding and the staff are absolutely wonderful - nothing is too much bother and they are friendly, highly professional, attentive and so welcoming.
From the moment you walk through the door, everything glides happily along like a well-oiled machine and you do not have to worry about a thing.
Their website is very useful and helpful with lots of suppliers listed and with ideas to suit all types of weddings - from owls delivering the rings (Galloway Falconry) to Comlongon Castle wedding cakes (Rainbow Sugarcraft)! We also highly recommend the Hog Roast (never tasted pork so good, this is organised through the Castle themselves) and the Celtic Handfasting ceremony is breathtaking and beautiful - all of our guests loved it so much.
The castle is magnificent and has an amazing ambiance, the walk-in fireplace is lit during your ceremony and you take your vows beneath medieval tapestries. There are thoughtful little extras thrown in (we won't spoil the surprise!) that not only make you feel special but show just how good these people are at giving you a wonderful wedding to remember.
Every single one of our guests loved their time at Comlongon and said that it was the best wedding they had ever been too.

• Liked — Seriously - all of it, everything was great
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Comlongon Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!