“Good food but pricey” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Caerleon
solihull
“Good food but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Sat outside in the lovely garden and enjoyed choosing our food from a display inside. Both had fish for starters and mains! Surprised we had to pay extra for a bowl of salad as no veg were included. Service was fine and attentive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have visited the Priory for many years with my daughter and have at all times found the staff most obliging and friendly. Both restaurant staff and bar staff cannot do enough to please and make ones visit so pleasurable.
Food is always good, with a daily varied menu displayed near the chill counter.
To me though, the wow factor goes to the tremendous team who make our visits so memorable.
My ninety two year old ex mother in law will eat nowhere else.!
Indeed a testimony to the atmosphere and care given by the staff.
Well done and many thanks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Priory Restaurant u have to see to believe the fresh fish and salads laid out is quite amazing
we were going round the Roman ruins and we called in the Priory for a welcome drink and decided to eat there The waiter was a little ignorant but maybe because he was not British that we felt the torn of his voice was excusable The food was very nice but the drinks we thought was a bit over priced Would return for the food again but I think the staff need a bit of training in how to welcome people

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nice hotel with charm in the countryside. Have been to eat here several times over the years and the food and service have always been top notch, with a view to staying at the adjoining hotel given the opportunity. Well the opportunity presented itself during the July heatwave. We always complain about the weather in Canada, because of the extremes and this was no different. It was an unusually hot day (week) and this country hotel has no AC. The did have fans for their guest which was good news. The pigeons woke me up at about 05:00 AM. Was that a bad experience? No, it only added to the charm and character of the visit.

Room Tip: On a hot July day - try and get a room with two windows so that you can take advantage of the breeze...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went to the priory today with the intention of catching up with many fiends. Amongst us was mummy's and 6 children. After sitting in the garden, which is a beautiful setting, we went to the bar to order some drinks. I was met at the the bar to what can only be described as the most ignorant, unhelpful excuse for a barman, I believe his name was Juan. I cannot believe that this man is employed in a hotel / bar that prides itself on high quality service. I would not employ this man to tend to animals!

Eventually we got our drinks, and gave the inexcusable barman a massive by ball. We then asked to look at the food menu, to which, unbelievably, I was told I would have to get of my backside and go inside to look at the menu that was nailed to the wall. Incredible! Being that there was over 10 people at our table we all ordered food at different time, to which the waiters we extremely rude about as it didn't suit what they wanted (there was probably 15 people in the whole restaurant). It really was incredible!

There is not enough room to complete my review, so to sum up, we had a horrendous experience at this hotel!
I am happy to reply to an comments, please PM me.
kind regards, a very dissatisfied customer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and myself were given a voucher to have a meal here as a present, so we deceided to go the whole hog and booked a room as well. We had been here before a few years ago but never stayed the night. It was beautiful then, festooned in flowers but this time when we drove in there wasn't a flower in sight no hanging baskets or patio tubs nothing, so that was the first disappointment. Then when we went for our meal, they didin't have a few things that were on the menu (disappointment number 2) so I decided to have the chicken which was called Chicken Barbados, they described it to me as chicken in a curry like sauce with chips £14.95. When I asked for side salad I was informed that would be an extra £2.45 and any vegetables were £3.95 (disappointment number 3). I don't mind paying but hate being ripped off so I refused the extras which just left me with a chicken in curry sauce and chips that cost £15 all because they had poshed it up and called it "Chicken Barbados", and likewise my husband had the steak with just chips. I really don't think it is asking too much for a bit of side salad or just peas to go with the meal. When we retired to our room which was very clean,there was disappointment number 4, the bed was so uncomfortable, the mattress was hard and made so much noise it was like an organ playing each time we turned over. On a much better note, the breakfast was really nice I couldn't fault it and all the staff were very helpful. But the reason we came, to have a meal and stay the night, well it's nil points I'm afraid, wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't bother going
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
manchester (via boro)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Firstly Caerleon is build on an a roman legionary fortress, lots to see ... The Priory is in the middle of town and its a hidden spanish retreat. Its a well run hotel and resturant, clean and tidy and a good 3 star. Food is generally good, welcoming staff, spanish music playing and my favourate barman (no names but older chap with glasses, does late shift, likes his golf !). Rooms are tidy and always clean and staff always helpful ... my third visit to play golf in the area. Plenty of parking and good value, i will be back.

Room Tip: if there is a group of 4-5 wanting rooms together ask for the priory cottage, 100 yds from the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Priory Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!