“Night with friends and family” 5 of 5 stars

The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
High Street, Caerleon, Newport NP18 1AG, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Caerleon
Caerphilly, Wales, United Kingdom
“Night with friends and family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked one night for a break with friends and family, Dinner, Bed and Breakfast per couple £100.
well, value for money. The room was very nice and dinner was out of this world all fresh, the staff are very friendly. The Hotel and restaurant are a must, book a night and dinner and you will not regret it, if you just fancy dinner then I suggest you go A'la Carte and enjoy. First time staying in the Hotel, but fourth time dinning and all I can say is will be going again and again, a place that you would never get bored of going to. If like us you need a disabled room, then ask for room 21 the only thing is, its got a bath not a wet room. I hope this will help someone and enjoy if you go, you will return belive me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had the lunch special of two courses for £11. We came away with the impression that the Priory skimps on quality and portions as it is a set menu. My partner's starter of meatballs was luke warm, unpleasantly so. My pate was generic brussels pate, that could have been purchased at the local tesco, served with a small slice of french bread. The salad garnish on both meals was tired and wilting.

The serving staff were pleasant, but there were some odd aspects to the service. The only cutlery we were given consisted of a form and steak knife, rather odd as neither ordered steak. We'd ordered some extra french bread, but didn't receive a butter knife. When our cutlery was replaced for the second course, we received more steak knives - again neither ordered steak. Our meals were served promptly, but service was decidedly slow when we tried to pay the bill.

Our main meals were acceptable. The chips were rather odd, as the portion received seemed to cointain both fresh double fried chips and chips that had obviously been left lying around and re-fried an extra time before serving. (Having worked in restaurants, it's an old money saving trick I recognised straight away.) Both of us ordered different main meals, but both noted that the fish in our meals tasted very strongly, so may have been in less than prime condition. I have to say that most of the ingredients used in our meals seemed to be economy or past its best. We decided not to stay for dessert.

This seemed to be a restaurant that was past its prime, but with delusions that it is still a culinary force to be reckoned with. Eating here was quite a dispiriting experience, and not one I'd repeat again.

Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We took a foody friend here for Sunday lunch. There is a huge variety of dishes on the menu and the fillet steak she ordered was superb, but rather expensive. The lamb roast that I ordered was rather fatty really and didn't do an awful lot for me, though the vegetables were properly cooked and tasty.

There are no menus, just boards on the wall and it's never quite clear what the waiters are there for. What struck me most was that despite the obvious effort that had gone into making the place appear opulent and sophisticated, the service was actually rather poor. We waited too long for our plates to be collected and it seemed the waiters avoided eye contact. When we did get their attention, they clearly knew what they were doing, so a bit of a mixed bag really.

The final bill was actually very expensive and given our experiences, we thought we could probably have gone elsewhere and got service included in that price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently visited the priory and we lovely meal ,there is plenty of choice to chose from all fresh produce in the chiller counter and a lovely choice of fish.The lobster is my favourite and to die for.one negative point would be that the service was very slow. Would recommend this restaurant and would visit again.

Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Priory is a good place to stay in a very historic village. The staff very pleasant and breakfast vey good for the reasonable price paid found it good value for money. If you eat here of an evening the food is excellent .
As on business had a single room that was generous in size and more than comfortable. The only complaints I would have is that the heating was poor and woke up cold in the night. Likewise the shower was cold and failed to heat up .
I was only at the hotel for one night so did not complain and would not let this put me of staying again. My friend had no problems with his room apart from the shower. The main thing for me overall I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Is an old building with central heating to match . So would check on arrival that is working properl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Four of us enjoyed a very nice meal last night. Starters of pate and scallops were perfect but the olives out of a tin was the only negative. Would suggest some dressing or some marination?

Main course of rib eye, veggie dish with peppers and swardfish were exceptional. Thanks. Service was responsive rather than intrusive.

Chepstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Been here many many times and only just realised we have never reviewed it. Almost always come for the (exceptional) Sunday lunch. In particular the beef is outstanding, could easily be sirloin steak. Staff are attentive and really hard working (as is the manager who unlike most is not afraid to get his hand dirty, so to speak). If I was to be critical I would say that the deserts were a bit disappointing (sticky toffee pudding was foul) BUT with the main course being so good who cares :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Priory Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!