“The view was fabulous, the service, not so much” 2 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

You added InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort to your Saves list
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   295 Moo 3, Taling Ngam Beach, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
phoenix
“The view was fabulous, the service, not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The arrival to this hotel is hard to describe - the view from the lobby is breathtaking. But it doesn't take but a few days to have the level of service here start to chip away at the experience. The first night we arrived we went down to the beach restaurant which was serving a seafood buffet. We were tired from traveling and my son, who doesn't like fish, had a bowl of fried rice. There were no menus and we had missed the chalk board outside that displayed the price. When I got the bill at near $80 per person, I asked the waiter if he could make an adjustment for my son, and he said no, it was too late. Not a good beginning. The hotel is on a quiet part of the island, which is nice, but when one wants to go explore, it gets difficult to get help or feel the slightest bit supported. It was as if the concierge staff had never eaten outside the hotel, or couldn't figure out how to help you find a good spot, of which there are many. We ended up having to call for reservations ourselves. When we asked for transportation offsite, it was always near or more than double what a taxi would charge. If we asked for a taxi, they would give you the option of a "service they contract with" which was always the same cars and people who drove for the hotel (who were very nice but that's not the point). We ended up feeling taken advantage of. My son was sick, so we decided to extend our stay (we did think seriously about changing hotels, but because of the hassle, decided not to.) I went to the front desk to ask if this was a possibility, and three trips later to see "my manager", i was told it was okay. Never was there a "wonderful, so happy you will stay with us longer" sort of feeling. When I got the bill for check out, I felt compelled to check every item because the trust had eroded so completely. It's a beautiful property with so much potential, but i would not recommend it to stay. It is worth a drink at the Air Bar but there are lots of other good hotel options on this beautiful island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear cmaz,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your feedback.

I agree with you that our restaurants are pricier than some of the local ones in Koh Samui, but our prices are generally in line with those establishments offering the same superior quality.
I am particularly disappointed to hear that the service performance of our concierge team was not up to your expectations, as this is the single most common reason why our guests rate us so highly. However, I take note of your feedback and reminded our associates to be focused, sharp and attentive to guest needs.

I take note of your comments regarding resort transfer pricing which we ensure is in line with other resorts and establishments of a similar standing. We certainly have to provide the contracted taxi as we are sure that they can response the high service quality and insurance to our exclusive guest.

Thank you for having stayed with us at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stephane Duchenne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
northwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited for the second time in 18 months from when opened last year. Still very good but cracks appearing in the detail. Lots of leaves blowing around the estate , empty water bottles under the villas, pools not open, beach towels need changing / poor quality. Towels were reused by the pool staff after other guests put them back after use! Very bad!

Rooms well looked after but we did have an electrical fault when the lights would not go out at night, fixed quickly by the maintenance team.

Food is good breakfast excellent.

Front desk usually good, but a restaurant recommendation locally was really bad.

Needs some management and some more training to bring this place back to it's former glory.

Room Tip: High up top floor villa or a beach villa.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear peterah,

Thank you very much for returning to our property and for writing this review on your recent stay at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort.

I am glad to hear that our kitchen team made your breakfast experience with us a very memorable one!

Thanks for highlighting the beach towels cleanliness issues and our recreation team have been made aware of it but I’m sure that we change the towel every time. However we will pay more attention to detail on such matters.

It is furthermore great to read that our villa provided you with the necessary space and comfort for an enjoyable vacation. Your feedback about an electrical fault on the villa is well-noted and I would like to take the opportunity to inform you that the resort undertakes a strict annual maintenance program. After receiving your feedback, our Chief Engineer has been asked to look into your villa in order to ensure the necessary work will be done to uphold our high service standards.

Thank you once again for your kind review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a third visit in the not too distant future.

Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were planning to stay for at least a week at this hotel in August. We flew in from Singapore, rented a car at the airport and drove to the hotel. That was a long, long drive.. The hotel location is really bad if you want to enjoy the rest of the island, there is literally nothing near this hotel. I guess you are just stuck there if you do not have transportation or ready to spend 30 mins in a taxi to get to the closest village. When we arrived, nobody greeted us, no drinks or wet towels were provided. Then two guys who looked European to me, appeared. I showed my disappointment with the reception and said that judging by the reception I might start looking for another hotel. One of the guys, this was their head of food and beverages, as I later found out, said in a very rude manner that it is our choice to stay or to leave. This really set the tone for what we experienced there. The other guy, Johan was more helpful. However, he could not get a room for us before 2 pm (it was around afternoon when we arrived), and could not get an upgrade for us although I am an Ambassador card holder. He promised an upgrade next afternoon. We went to have lunch at a hotel restaurant. The service was unfriendly and the cost huge. Nobody smiles at this place and they seem to be totally understaffed. The room was still not ready when we finished lunch and we had to drive for 40 mins to a nearby village. Next day nobody told us when we can move to a new room, so I expected this to happen around afternoon but not later than 2 pm as Johan promised. So we drove around the island. We came back to the hotel around 230 pm and were told that we have to wait until 5-6 pm. Two days of vacation wasted. When we came to the room we stayed in overnight, we found it as we left it - nobody bothered to clean it. I was really furious and went to see the manager, a guy called Timmy or Jimmy, do not remember. I explained the situation but the guy started telling me stories about how busy they are, so there are not enough staff to clean the rooms on time. I said that he should apologise and he started shouting at me - SORRY, SORRY. We checked out immedietely and spent the rest of that week at Six Senses . Six Senses was twice as expensive but I guess Interconti at Samui is cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for. The only good thing about this place is the sea view, otherwise it is a very bad place to spend your vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael G,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for sharing your experiences with us, we greatly value your feedback.

Our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is situated on the unspoilt west cost of Koh Samui, with spectacular views over the Gulf of Thailand and breathtaking sunsets. It’s the exclusive place to relaxing. So it’s normal to take time from the tourist zone in Chaweng area. In our resort, we provide many activities such as seven swimming pools, aqua aerobics, kayaking, windsurfing, hobie cat, stand-up paddle boarding, snorkeling equipment, scuba diving, beach activities, boat excursion, yoga, 24 hours fitness centre, tennis, Thai cooking classes, spa treatment at Baan Thai Spa, etc.

I am very disappointed to learn that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. I’m also very surprise that you did not experience the same traditional warmth of Thai hospitality, and I will certainly remind the team of your perception and pay special attention to this very important core value of ours.

Thanks for highlighting the room late issues during our high occupancy period and our Housekeepers have been made aware of it. We will pay more attention to detail on such matters.

As for your dining experience, I take note of your comments regarding pricing which we ensure is in line with other resorts and establishments of a similar standing in our marketplace.

I thank you for making the effort to give us your valuable feedback. I would appreciate if you can give us one more opportunity.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed Intercontinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort for 7 nights with my husband, 2 young daughters (3 years and 1 year old) and my husband's parents. We usually like staying at Four Seasons for resorts but in my opinion the setting of the property can compete against other Four Seasons in Asia - we loved the resort! No wonder it has been featured as one of the must-see resorts by Quintessentially.

The lobby
It is not the main concern when it comes to staying in a resort but this lobby gave me a fantastic impression. Four Seasons at Sayan (Bali), Trisara in Phuket, and Four Seasons in Samui had a similar setting where you are at the top of the cliff to embrace the magnificent view with the independent villas throughout the resort. But personally I liked this lobby the best because this is so spacious, you can walk around a bit, have tea, look at the shop, and go back to the terrace to see the view. It is dynamic rather than boring and too quiet. And the restaurant and the bar downstairs make it so lively which I liked. Nice work!

The villa
We had a two bedroom villa overlooking the sea. Spacious with a beautiful view, I liked the furniture with a colonial taste, yet the bath room was nice and clean with a modern bath tub. The area itself is bigger than the villa in Four Seasons in Maldives and Four Seasons in Langkawi. We have stayed at villas in different resorts but this was one of the best as we had a separate dining/living room from the bedrooms. We ended up having a villa that was far from the main building but we moved around with the buggy all the time so it did not bother us much, although sometimes it takes a bit of time to wait for a buggy.

The fantastic pools
Amazing pools. I enjoyed swimming in the pools every morning and every afternoon. Two main pools were just great, one in front of the beach and the other high up on the cliff with the magnificent view. I loved them both so much.

For families
We had a family package so the kids ate free throughout our stay. Kids' menu had a good variety, both in Western and Asian food. Kids' club was good too, I like it that they had different and interesting activities prepared for each day. (A lot of resorts have a daily activity schedule but some of them never follow it!)

The service
I thought the setting of the resort is as good as Four Seasons in Bali, Trisara in Phuket and Four Seasons in Koh Samui. So, the difference is price is clearly shown in their service. The Wi Fi did not work in the villa, they forgot to send us a buggy, we had to call house keeping three times to get 2 more cups which took 45 minutes, they do not refill the amenities like tea, cotton buds, water etc etc. The baby sitter was expensive but they sent someone who spoke no English. They are all small things but when these keep on happening you get a bit disappointed. My husband talked to the assistant manager Stefan who was super helpful and fixed all the problems, gave us a late check out. He made us feel much much better.

Conclusions
I highly recommend this resort as I think the rate was so reasonable and yet you get to stay in such a spacious villa with a magnificent view, and all the facilities were very good. This property is very special... Yes the service is not quite Four Seasons but the rate was much cheaper, we could not complain much! 5 star for what we have paid for.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villa was spacious and has an amazing view. Each villa has a slightly different view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Yumiko76_Japan,

Thank you very much for the great review on your last family vacation with us, your compliments on our Two-Bedroom Panoramic View Villa, the swimming pool, the fantastic view at the lobby and the family amenities and facilities are truly appreciated!

I am however disappointed to learn our service was not up to your expectations, especially as our services usually score very high amongst our guests. Rest assured that I will share your comments with the management as well as the team.

Thank you for your very constructive feedback on the kids club, it is my pleasure to inform you that is one of our key projects to be developed in this year. We do hope your family will visit us again to try it out!

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We visited at the end of May. We stayed here 2 nights to break the journey before heading to another island, but wished we had stayed longer. Although it takes 45 min to get to, from the airport, it is set in a nice serene location, beautiful view. The food was amazing, but quite expensive. We arrived very late at night so ordered room service, which arrived promptly as they said in half hour. Very tasty! Room was lovely, clean and comfortable. Bathroom was a wet room. Beach was nice, they also provide free shoes for protection as it is very rocky. Did not have time to see/use the spa, sadly. Staff and friendly and helpful. Hope to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear bargainseeker_1,

Thank you very much for an array of positive feedback on our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments and happy to hear that our team catered to your every need and you enjoyed all services. In terms of the prices in our restaurants, we do charge more than some restaurants outside the resort, but our prices are generally in line with those that offer the same superior quality food. We strive hard to give great value for money.

Thank you for having stayed with us at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and for writing this review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

we stayed there in August and find this hotel simply amazing , the entire property is stunning the view from our room was amazing , the breakfast is very good . We used the facilities of the resort a lot and almost did not go outside . we felt at home and we met very friendly staff and some very surprising by their efficiency and professionalism like Clement by the beach who arranged everything for us . we ate at both restaurant amber and flames , both good but again clement is very present and made a difference so we ate almost every night at flames . the beach is clean and well maintened . we will be back .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear ali_sarini,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for complementing our amazing hotel, the facilities provided as well as the quality of our breakfast.

Referring to the location, our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is located within the exclusive enclave of Taling Ngam Bay on the unspoilt west coast of the tropical resort island of Koh Samui. Renowned as the best spot on the island for sunsets, the resort is set in a quiet, secluded location and offers inspiring views over the Gulf of Thailand and the Five Islands beyond. We also provide many activities for free of charge to our guest such as 7 swimming pools, private beach, fitness 24 hour, sailing, Kayaking, 2 tennis courts, etc.

I would also like to thank you for praising our associates’ professionalism, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, especially Clement!

Thank you very much for staying with us, your trust in our service encourages us to continue creating a wonderful holiday experience for our guests! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Traveled in April 2013.

This is a gem of a resort and very well managed. We stayed 3 nights to celebrate my wife's birthday and were very well taken care of by the staff from check in to check out. The location on a cliff facing the west shore of Koh Samui is superb. It's far away from the noise of the (very Australian/European) tourist center but pretty close to the local town of Nathon, about a 20 minute scooter or 10-15 minute taxi ride. We rented scooters at the resort next door for about 150 baht a day, and rode into town to get a ridiculously cheap 2 hour massage (160 baht?) and check out the night market.

Location - About 40 minutes from the airport, and Bo Phut/Chaweng, the main toursit and party area. You probably won't be going to that area too often if you're staying at the Intercontinental. Nearby not too many stores or shops, but there's a 7-11 about 5 minutes scooter ride down the beach road. Only 1 other (small) resort in the area, and another small restaurant on the beach, local style. About 20 minute scooter ride to Nathon, where there's night markets, tourist shops, and very cheap but good massages. There's also a ferry from the mainland to Nathon, which is the main administrative town of Samui. I recommend staying at the Intercontinental for a few nights, and then spending maybe another couple nights in Lamai or Bo Phut, which are closer to the attractions and nightlife of Koh Samui, Otherwise you probably need to book a day tour or a driver and spend a day seeing the few sights of Koh Samui, to maximize your time. Samui is not a big island, but a little too big to be seen in a few hours. There's not really that many attractions on Samui any way.

Check in, Check out, and Overall Service - very relaxed check in where the staff greeted us in the open air lobby and led us to lounge chairs facing the incredible ocean views. Brought over two of their signature ice teas that has some extra Thailand flavors to them, as well as cool hand towels which were very refreshing on a balmy April day. Took our passports and credit cards and came back 5 minutes later to give us our room. We were assigned a pretty central location on the floor right below the lobby, with excellent ocean views. The check in staff also showed us to our room and brought our luggage. Check out was equally easy. We didn't arrange transport until the night before, and they easily accommodated us with a hotel van, about 1300 ($43) baht to our next destination at Lamai Beach. A little pricey for a 25 minute trip, but understandable with a private van. Actually, it's pretty reasonable, I'm just used to the low prices in Thailand. Overall service was very excellent, and one of the few places that nearly every single staff member that we encountered always greeted us with a pause and a smile and hand gesture, no matter if we were just walking down the hall. Even the housekeeping and maintenance staff always acknowledged us when they saw us, which actually is pretty amazing, contrasted with my usual travels in China.

The Room - Nothing short of wow with a well appointed bedroom with King bed, sofa in front of the bed, large flat panel TV in front of the sofa, and plenty of closets and space. The size was just right, I'd say about 25-30 square meters for the bedroom itself, 10-15 for the bathroom, and about 10 for the balcony. It was big enough for all the furniture, yet not so big that the room would look empty. I don't like those gigantic rooms but with useless space everywhere. This room was just right in terms of size. We had a welcome fruit basket as well as sweet sticky rice treats already prepared on the coffee tablet. The bathroom was very nice with large tub, and a very large open space shower area with rain shower. The toilet had a separate door for privacy. The shower area is separated with a large glass wall, with blinds for your privacy should you want it. We enjoyed the showers with ocean views, though. Fluffy slippers were provided as well on the dark hardwood floor. Turn down service at night, with lightly scented candles lit near the tub, definitely very thoughtful. The balcony was another highlight with two large outside lounge mattresses, a medium size wood table with 4 chairs, and ocean views to die for. We spent at least a half hour to an hour every evening outside on the balcony just enjoying the sounds of the ocean and gazing at the stars. Amazingly, not that many mosquitoes and flies during April, but incense was still provided and we never got bit even though we're usually magnets for bites in Southeast Asia.

Property - Very large and spreadout property with nearly all ocean view rooms in the main building. Also has around 30-40 villas in various sizes (all large) on the cliffs or at the beach. We peeked into a couple of the villas and they looked pretty amazing with traditional Thai island styles. The hotel has 7 pools, 1 infinity pool at the restaurant level with jungle and ocean views, 1 at the beach with a bar and never too crowded cabanas and lounge chairs which is what most guests used, and 5 at various places on the hills in the villas section of the resort. The 5 villa area pools are open to every guest (except for purple), and distinct colors denote each pool, with red, blue, yellow, orange, and purple (spa pool). We didn't use the spa services, but I'm sure it's very nice. From the rooms and villas level to the beach, is about 200-300 steps depending on where you are at the resort. There's a couple drawbridges as well if you want to take the nice walk down to the beach. There's also golf carts at the lobby as well as at the beach club area to shuttle you up and down the hill any time you'd like. Usually we didn't wait more than 5 minutes for a cart, and only one time we had to wait 10 minutes for a cart at the beach during busy sunset hours. Basically everywhere at this resort is a stunning ocean view of the Gulf of Thailand. I counted at least 15 visible islands, with 5 or 6 seemingly very close. I also forgot to mention their pier. We spent two sunsets at the end of their pier, with amazing photos. It was mostly empty the time we were there as well. The pier was also rather long I'd say about 100 meters or a little more, for no apparent reason other than for nice walks and sunset views. Their speedboat is about a 25 footer and costs I think $200 for a trip from a pier near the airport to the hotel. We didn't take it but it looked like pretty new and nice speedboat. The beach was almost always empty, since the chairs and umbrellas were so plentiful. I guess unless you're a hardcore sun worshiper, you'd probably stay under the umbrella most of the time. The beach was a white sand beach, although not as fine sand as maybe other beaches in Thailand or Mexico. There were showers and foot washes at the steps to the beach as well, which was convenient.

Restaurants - There's 2 restaurants, and 2 bars, with 1 set of each at the main building and the beach club. We ate at the main restaurant every day for breakfast, free with platinum status. Breakfast spread was very nice with Thai selections as well as Western selections, with fresh Thailand fruits. Wax apples are my favorite, so juicy and not too sweet. Also, you can ask for a fresh coconut as well during breakfast, free of charge. We're pretty sure they pick their coconuts, as they were always sweet (we went through at least 10-15 coconuts during our stay there). We also ate at the main restaurant once for dinner which was a Thai specialty buffet night with traditional dance shows. Price for the dinner and show was extremely reasonable for a 5 star hotel, around $40 per person if I recall correctly. Show was very nice, and we had a corner window view inside, but most people sat outside on the balcony. Service at the restaurant no matter which meal was excellent as well, with attentive servers, which is all you can really ask for. Dinner buffet was nice, with a show kitchen and small portion preparations (for a buffet). Not everything was in a steam tray either, and many was freshly prepared at least every 15-30 minutes. We never got to the Air Bar, even though we tried to make it a point, but since everywhere had great views, it didn't really matter. However if you were not staying at the hotel, a drink at the Air Bar is a real treat during sunset, with close to 270 degrees of ocean views. We did take a nice nap after dinner once on the same deck, as there were nice comfy lounge mattresses with scented candles lit for guests use. Just lying there and staring at the ocean and stars. For drinks, we mostly stuck to the beach bar, which wasn't anything too special, but had a decent selection of bottled beers and cocktails. Some of the times we just brought a couple of beers to the pier, for our own special private happy hour at the end of the pier. There's also a 3rd bar in the lobby, but we only had ice teas and coconuts there.

Overall, one of my favorite resorts in the world. The fact that it has a couple decades of history really adds to the overall ambiance of the resort, and the place is very well maintained. The service was impeccable, with helpful staff anticipating your needs but not overly intrusive or pretentious. A great place to recharge and relax for 3-4 nights, and I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms are ocean view, but ask for one slightly away from the main building so you're...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear milty908,

Thank you so much for writing us an incredible review! Your review was an absolute pleasure to read! The detail of your positive comments about our property and service is very much appreciated by our entire team. I will share your kind words of appreciation with them!

You touch on the very things we continue to work at so we can excel. We are very glad our efforts are paying off. Thank you very much!

I am truly pleased that we took part in creating such wonderful memories of your wife’s birthday in Koh Samui!

It has been our joy and privilege to serve you and your family and we look forward to being of service to you again when your next return to your “Beautiful and Unbeatable Ocean Views”.

Stephane Duchenne

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!