“5 stars view, 1 star service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

You added InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort to your Saves list
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   295 Moo 3, Taling Ngam Beach, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“5 stars view, 1 star service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at the Le Meridien 7 years ago. Didn't realize it becomes Intercontinental so we ended up staying at the same hotel again, which is not a problem as we had a great time last time we stayed there.
The room is clean and nice, the view is amazing. Breakfast is great.
Service is terrible. I don't go vacation to get upset but this hotel is doing a good job to have staffs upsetting us continuously. For example, simple service like getting a golf car to transfer us from the beach to the reception, they can't do it right. First we ask a lady staffs on the way out of the beach. She said ok and said we can wait at the beach bar. We are with baby and my parents so I think that's good we can wait comfortably. Then after a while the lady was gone and nothing happened, we asked another staff who looks like a manager what happen to our transfer, the manager said we have to wait outside, the golf car cannot drive into the bar, in a very insulting way as if we are stupid, and then he left without doing anything. So we went outside and stood by the road to wait. One golf car came by which can take 3 passengers. The driver just stare at us like 'hurry up!' I said there are 5 of us this won't fit. He stared at me for 5 seconds and just took off. He didn't speak one word the whole time. After that, 15 mins of waiting under the sun. I then walked over to the security guide who looked like the one organising golf car who saw the whole incident. The first word he said to me was 'no Eglish'!!!! We then walked back to the bar and found the original lady who called the transfer for us. She said its actually not her job to call transfer and we should go outside. I said but the only staff outside cannot speak English! She then come out with us and a golf car just dropped off some people and then we took that car up.
It takes 4 unprofessional staffs all at once to make this unpleasant experience for the customer, and Intercontinental managed to do that 1) staff who called a too small golf car for 5 of us, asked us to wait at the wrong location 2) another staff to insult us and added no value 3) driver who stared at us without saying one word 4) the staff who's supposed to be in charge tell us he doesn't speak English and didn't attempt to help
We are very disappointed with the service.
Anything else we asked, the answer is always ,"no, cannot do". Last time we stayed at Fourseasons, no matter what we asked, the answer is always yes. I guess that makes the difference of hotel class. I mean, how difficult is it to train a service staff to smile and greet and do the job they get paid for?
It is such a nice hotel with amazing view and room and food. Why not go one extra step to fix the service? The Le Meridien we stayed before was awesome and service was fantastic. It's such a waste now that its being taken over by poor management. I will never go back, not even just to see the view, just to avoid the terrible experience we had.

• Stayed July 2012
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear CanadianWorldTraveller

Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the design of the rooms, the amazing views and the resort’s culinary highlights.

I feel very disappointed hearing about your buggy transfer experience, I have taken note of your comments and shared with the respective teams for immediate action. I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me as I would like to know if this was a onetime service slip or a recurrent issue. My email is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

I feel anxious hearing that you didn’t have a truly unique and memorable experience with us, yet I appreciate the time you took to share your concerns. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Arnaud Girodon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

On arrival at the hotel, I found out that a lady at the reservation office I contacted with had resigned a few days ago, and that caused a confusion with my package price throughout my stay. After receiving the invoice before the check-out date, I made quite a few calls and they put me through many people. Anyway, they could finally sort that out for me.

I was slightly shocked when I arrived the hotel for check-in - no welcome, no greeting, just an inexperienced staff (with a slightly rude manner) took us to a sofa. She didn't even smile when asking for our IDs and went back to the reception. It took like 15 minutes until I couldn't stand waiting so I went to another senior lady and everything was then settled although I couldn't get the room I requested. It took me since 3pm until almost 4pm to be able to check-in. And then an hour and a half with 4 calls to get the towels.

Our room is nice and has an ocean view although it was on the lowest floor. Like many people said that you won't be able to get out of your room if it rains as there is no roof and shelter at the main stairs. We had dinner at the Amber twice. The food was very good but the service was poor. Again, there was no supervisor on duty - some guests even rushed into the kitchen when they felt so upset with the service. Some walked out and complained.

Breakfast was tasty and had varieties but they set the buffet lines in the kitchen with the poor air flow system, so my shirts got smelly everyday after breakfast!

Although the hotel occupies a nice panoramic view but its location is also a problem. I planned to go out for dinner in Chaweng but I've found out it was too far to drive at night (it took about an hour for those who were not familiar with the narrow road to drive to Chaweng and another hour back to the hotel). So, you only have to dine in the hotel in the evening, and the food price is on the high side compared with the 4 to 5 stars hotels (in Thailand) e.g. Caesar Salad with shrimps @ 17USD+++

The housekeeping, guest service and management were poor - we had to call at least 4 times to get the towels, refilled amenities and finally even had to go out to catch a maid for the toilet paper! Not to mention other special requests.

I like workout but the fitness center and the tennis court are too far. And from my experience, I thought I would have wasted too much time to get a buggy to take me there and then back to my room

Regarding the safety, I forgot the key card in my room once when my partner was at the spa room. I ran into a housekeeping on my way to the lobby so I asked if she had a key card for my room which she said she had. I asked her to be around there for a while as I needed to contact the reception for some small issue but when I came back she already disappeared. Then I met another staff (who was not a housekeeping) and I asked if she could help (as it's too far to go back to the lobby). She also had a key card that could open any room. She helped open my room without asking my name!

It turned out to be so different on our last day. When we got out of the room, all the staffs we met started to say "Good Morning" - My partner and I were so wondering what happened on that day. The service level was lifted up on my last day. Finally, I learned that there would be the Spa Opening Party on that day and the GM would be the host!

I had a chance to drop by at W Retreat (Starwood Property) on the other side of the island for some drinks. And the service was totally different!

Room Tip: All the rooms in the main building have ocean view while some villa rooms do not. The Ocean Room eve...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear kittyjoy

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent holiday experience at InterContinental Samui.

I am however disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. I have taken note of the shortcomings you have mentioned and shared with our housekeeping, Food & Beverage, Reservations teams and training department for corrective action.

We greatly value your constructive feedback and I do hope this will not deter you from returning to our iconic resort! Please do get in contact with me if there is anything else I can be of assistance with. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Shock horror! Walked into the lobby but there was no welcome or greetings....The 4-5 staff at the check-in counter seemed pre-occupied with something or other.

Actually, we had gone there just to enjoy the views at Taling Ngam (meaning "beautiful cliff" ?), have lunch and check out if the resort will be worth a future stay on Samui. That nobody bothered or questioned us suited us just fine; we were allowed to freely roam about, explore the resort and take photos.

The lobby was quite spectacular with its decor and of course, the views......The infinity swimming pool with a "gazebo" beside the lobby was quite a memorable image too. Took the steps down and found our way down to the beach via a maze of corridors and a suspension bridge! After happily snapping pics of the beach and jetty, we had our lunch at Flames by the beach. They didn't have what we initially ordered from the menu, so we settled for a seafood pizza which we shared. Wow.......we had never tasted such great "fluffy" pizza before.....so no regrets having lunch there. Having said that, the pizza could have done with more seafood / toppings. And oh, the young staff there were very friendly and polite when serving the food and drinks.

Will see if it deserves a Trip Advisor "excellent" rating after a real / proper stay there in the future. Giving it a "very good" now.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Malaysiantraveller68

Thank you very much for your visit to our iconic resort and for taking your time to provide feedback about your recent culinary experience at Flames restaurant.

We hope to welcome you to a proper stay on your upcoming visit to Koh Samui. If there is anything else I can be of assistance, please contact me on my email arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Sincerely yours
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

1) Booking
We made a booking 2 days before going to Koh Samui. So, before we make a booking from other travel agent, I did email to their customer service enquire their 'opening promotion' package (which is only available if booking directly through their website) and did mention that we would immediately book from them if the package is still available. However, we heard nothing from them the next day (Friday) until 4.30pm (thai local time) saying that this package still available and they need our confirmation. Due to their late reply, we already made a booking from their travel agent which of course not the 'opening promotion' package and with a much higher rate. I immediate replied their email asking whether we could changed to this 'opening promotion' package and if yes we would like to confirm immediate, and then again we receive no reply from them until we reached intercontinental on Saturday afternoon. Upon check in, we asked the lady manager again and told them about this matter. Then immediate after they checked with the reservation department, I received a reply from them saying that the package was no longer available.

We dont mind if it was not available from the very beginning, but apparently it was available but due to their late reply, inexperience and rigidity in handling case like this. They just do not bother how the customer feel about their service.

2) Gold Ambassador
Even the lady manager also does not know about the benefits of intercontinental ambassador. I told them and gave the ambassador number to her, and yet she did nothing. In the end, we searched online and found out an complimentary room upgrade so I told them about this. Then only they do the upgrade. So if you are an Ambassador, please read know your benefits well coz we cant expect anything from them. This is just so funny!!!

3) Change of Room
Owing to the fact that the upgrade was a villa with no view as it located at the centre of the resort, so after we check their website online, we thought of changing to suite oceal view because the premier ocean view room that we initially booked are all taken. So we didnt mind to pay extra. However, upon asking the lady manager that we would like to pay extra for changing the room. She said its not available, and all taken. It was weird that we showed them that we could book it online at their website but she said not available. What happened if other people book?? What room could you give them since all the rooms are taken except pool villa beach front which is the most expensive one?? In the end of the day, she said it was the system error of their website, so she also unable to expect what would happen when people book online. So she offered us the pool villa beach front. However, it is not our what we wanted as we prefer higher floor with ocean view not a pool villa located at the ground floor facing beach and also the public pool in front.

3) Concierge
We booked for SPA at the concierge and upon we trying to decide as to which Spa to do, there concierge told us that we could decide at the Spa centre, no need to decide upon making reservation. However, upon arrival at the Spa, we were told that we could only take the spa treatment for One hour only as they are fully booked. Oh god, we having been longing for a good and relaxing 3 hours Spa treatment had gone spoiled. How could the concierge and the Spa centre so inconsistent.....

Everything seemed to go wrong, so we just feel like leaving the hotel as soon as possible and go to Banyan Tree. Thank God, we made a wise choice for trying intercontinental then only Banyan Tree as we felt like going to heaven in Banyan.

Room Tip: Go for the premier ocean view!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BabeOnTour

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at InterContinental Samui. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay, with the reassurance that we continuously strive to improve our product and services based on constructive guest feedback.

Please rest assured that your valuable comments have been raised to with our Operations Team for them to look into ways of improving the service quality.

Thank you again for bringing your experience to our attention. I certainly do hope that despite this shortfall you will allow us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable InterContinental experience you deserve on your upcoming holiday to Koh Samui.

uae
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

What an amazing vacation my husband and i had at this hotel, from the arrival at the hotel the staff where very friendly and you can tell they are proud of the product the way they offered us the freshment while checking in, seating us in the are so we can continue looking out and the most fantasic view i have ever seen. The room was fantastic to say the least we had a suite and the bathroom in it well ! no words! we went to the pool near the beacj on most days and the staff there where so helpful and friendly. there are many pools to choose from in this resort which is great! the food was excellant especially at the Air Bar where they serve tapa's the bar is overlooking the sea and with the pier lite up its just so relaxing. The main spa wasnt open as yet, but the spa which is currently in use offers a nice range of treatments and the treatment its self was extremly relaxing. i would highly recommend this resort, we didnt leave the reort once we didnt feel we needed to actually as we wanted to relax and that what we did with the staffs help.

Room Tip: They have villas with private pool which looked amazing we stayed in the suite in the main building.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sarah L

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this tremendous feedback! I am Delighted to hear that you truly enjoyed the stunning views, the warm service and culinary highlights at InterContinental Samui.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.

Sincerely yours
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Intercontinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort is the best hotel ever! I have stayed previously in other 5-6stars but I must say that this hotel is beyond what we ever expected. The view looking 5 islands are gorgeous. You could not purchase this view in anyways. It is just breathtaking!!
We stayed here sadly only 2 nights from 30 June-2 July and really want to extend our stay here but couldnt because my mom is meeting us at Bangkok. We booked the 2bedroom Panoramic Villa and took the Club Intercontinental Benefit which is only add 3000++ per night that includes 24 hour buttler( yes people, we have our own buttler, Niki who surprisedly welcoming us at the airport).

And the benefit is beyond expected! We have all day free juices, softdrinks, free cocktails from 6-8pm at the Airbar and a relaxing 1 hour complimentary spa.

The service is the number one from this hotel. We are so lucky to have Niki as our buttler and he was there in everyminute. My 2 daughters are so wellcared by him and he even reminds me about my nanny's bday. A delicious chocolate bday cake that really makes my nanny is so happy. The manager and the staffs are very friendly, very polite. Also O, is one of the staff that really makes us feel at home. Thank you O and Niki that always help us in everypossible ways.

I will recommend this hotel without a doubt. Purchase the club benefit and I think you will never want to leave this place. We will definitely comeback and would not stay in other place in Samui.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom Panoramic Villas for family and the Ocean Beachfront villa four couples are the best rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Amelia K

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Samui for your resort getaway and we are thrilled to hear that you had such a relaxing family holiday with your loved ones at our iconic resort.

Nicky and O and delighted to receive your compliments.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you here again for another wonderful holiday, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We recently spent a week at this hotel in a freestanding 2 bedroom villa as a family of 4 with two young children. Our villa had a huge living area with fantastic cliffside view to the ocean, quite elevated and with a large wrap around balcony.

Unlike many big name resorts this hotel is intimate and somewhat boutique with approximately 150 rooms and villas. Its quite spread out with half the rooms in the main building and the other half as villas, mainly on the cliff, with some by the beach.

Apparently the hotel was full or close to full when we were there, but you would not have known it. Perhaps this is due to the various and spectacular public spaces so you never felt you needed to compete for a pool lounge, or make a booking etc. It never felt busy and it was never noisy.

There were still some renovation works being undertaken to a few villas up the hill from us, however this was well contained and did not produce any noise that we were aware of.

The day spa was temporarily located in nearby villa whilst the actual was being completed.
The gym was well equipped and had a prime view over the beach.

We had a club package which was unique and had some great inclusions including mini bar in the room (everything in the fridge) and one load of laundry (yes you could unload your entire suitcase and return home with it all clean if you had wanted).

Wi-Fi was free throughout the resort and of decent quality.

The food in the resort was very good and service excellent. Always very friendly and prompt.

The resort is located some 30 – 40minutes from the main tourist town of Chaweng. We spent one day there and that was more than you need. The remote location of this resort is a massive plus not detraction!

The view from the lobby and the Air bar was breathtaking, as was the infinity pool off the lobby.

There were several pools around the resort and one directly out front of our villa. We spent most of our time at the large pool by the beach which had great lounges, and a bar. The pool itself is well designed with a variety of areas including shallow sections for the kids to play, equipped with pool toys. The staff by the pool were very friendly and attentive.

Prior to arrival I had read some of the negative reviews which concerned me as we are fussy travellers. Our experience was only positive so I can only assume people associated with the competitor hotels must have written these.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear hdjrev

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort for your recent holiday in Koh Samui. We are delighted to read your exceptional review about the resort and we greatly appreciate that you fully enjoyed the elevated level of hospitality provided by the Club InterContinental benefits. Our guests' satisfaction is our main priority.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back to the island soon.

Kind regards
Arnaud Girodon

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!