“Excellent hardware, the software needs to be ungraded” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

You added InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort to your Saves list
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   295 Moo 3, Taling Ngam Beach, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Taling Ngam
4.5 of 5 stars 537 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent hardware, the software needs to be ungraded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The place was great, all rooms facing the seaview, the layout is nice, the furniture and the interior design was great, a very pleasant place for holiday.
However, the staff desperately needed to be trained, here are a few problems we were upset about:
1. We went to play tennis, and the staff sent us down to the court by the buggy (somehow the tennis courts were out of the resort area), the staff knew we were going to play for 1 hour, but after 1 hour, no one around at all and we were stuck at middle of nowhere, after we waited for 20 mins, we decided to call the lobby (via roaming) and ask for a buggy, but it took another 10 mins for the buggy to come down and without apologising.

2. I was having tummy upset and asking for some medicine, it took them 25 mins to send the medicine to my room, and actually they brought some paracetamol, so we asked if they have anything for tummy upset, and after that it took another 20 mins to bring down another type of medicine, they were just way too slow...

3. It happened many times nobody answered the phone when i called up the concierge, it's just unbelievable for a 5- star hotel, and when I had some basic enquires, some staff just don't know how to answer, which reflects the hotel training was not enough. And their roles are kind of a mess e.g. the reception staff suddenly went to drive the buggy etc...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Jessiekan

Thank you for your great review; we very much appreciate you taking time to provide feedback following your stay at InterContinental Samui. We have taken well note of some of the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and shared with our respective teams for proactive remedial action.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you are planning to visit us in the future and I will be glad to meet you personally to make sure that this time, you will have the signature InterContinental experience you deserve.

Sincerely your
Arnaud Girodon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

It's hard to reconcile some of the negative comments with the hotel that we just stayed at for 4 nights recently since our experience left us wanting to return as soon as we could.

Highlights:
-The views are stunning--the best on Koh Samui.
-Hotel decor/design from infinity pools to room interior are spectacular
-Loved the fact that the beach was secluded and that you were away from the craziness of Chaweng (we didn't mind taking the shuttle out and taking a cab back)
-The service was excellent and everyone was smiling and ready to lend a hand. Particular callouts were the drivers for the buggies and shuttle. Although one can assume that some folks are still in training (and the hotel only recently opened in Feb), all of our requests/inquiries were met promptly and efficiently and with a smile.
-They provide quite a few complimentary amenities and benefits (vs hotels that nickle and dime you): water, wifi, french press coffee maker, and in case you forgot anything--a drawer with shaver, toothbrush, swabs, etc. I especially loved the french press coffee maker!
-As a gym rat I also appreciated the new modern gym with the view of the ocean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear sooyun77

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort - your wonderful feedback is very much appreciated. We are delighted to read that you loved our unique amenities and secluded beach. We hope it’s not too long before we welcome you back at InterContinental Samui.

Yours sincerely,
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Once I stepped into the lobby, I thought the Intercontinental Samui did exceed my expectation. Yet once I was greeted by the guest agent, I definitely agreed with other comments here. The service , the staffs....I was speechless seeing those inexperienced and under-trained staffs doing their jobs.
Those who wear black polo shirts seem to be the management team who actually the only ones can solve your problems. Others put on an lack-interest attitude to serve their guests.

So, to sum up

It's a great hotel with such stellar facilities and view, yet its staffs and services just can't be par with any Intercontinental hotel. So if you don't mind to pay for the Intercontinental's view but having Holiday Inn service, then this is a great place to enjoy holiday

Here is my genuine advice to the management team : Training, Training and MORE Training.

Dear UsTraveller_Pro

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your holiday experience at InterContinental Samui. This will be of great help in resolving our shortcomings. I am however disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have taken note of the shortcomings you have mentioned and we will ensure higher level of training to our front line team members. We greatly value your constructive feedback and I do hope this will not deter you from returning to our iconic resort! Please do get in contact with me if there is anything else I can be of assistance with. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

First thing when you get there is the amazing view! I think from the lobby area and restaurant you will experience the most beautiful views everyday and I guarantee, they are just stunning.
I made so many great photo shots from there!

Once we arrived at the lobby we received a delicious welcome drink and already did not want to leave anymore!The check in and welcome was smooth and easy and their staff escorted us to the room explaining the facilities and the suite.

The suite had a fantastic design, very lovely and spacious with catching details. The bath amenities are amazing (finally a great hair conditioner!). The housekeeping did their job to perfection and also the minibar amenities are wonderful with a great choice of coffee and amazing tea choice. The tea is my new favorite now and I ended up ordering it from the internet once I was home because I missed it.

Their team is wonderful! Love love love them!! Beach Club, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Restaurants, Management etc... Well, everyone was as helpful as they could and extremely attentive. Housekeeping was very fast on any requests we had. The Concierges were providing great recommendations on 'where to go and what to do' focusing on my interests first. And each time we have called a buggy they were there always within 5 minutes (until we realized that it's not so far to walk actually ;o)) Also, when I was there, they were just building a bridge to get around easier which should be ready by now.

For your free time you can choose between the Spa, Gym and plenty of pools (7!!!) as well as the beach. Unfortunately we didn’t manage to try everything but that gives us the reason to come back :o)

Breakfast offers an extensive choice and invites you into the stylish open kitchen. There is Asian and Western breakfast - they even have sushi and sashimi as well as homemade jams, yogurts with cereals and fresh fruits, fresh blended juices and shakes and yessss (good-bye diet…) fresh fried doughnuts!

Make sure you have drinks at the Air Bar before dinner for Sunset. It’s just breathtaking!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear HMSJ

We are delighted to read your review! The views, facilities and specially the team make InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Nam Resort a very unique property indeed. We have shared your raving feedback with all the various department mentioned, and they were very pleased. We are also thrilled to announce that the bridge connecting the resort to the beach is now ready for our guests!

We look forward to welcoming you back for a relaxing holiday and wonderful sunset drink at Air Bar!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had a 5 day holiday during Easter with our two kids. The hotel lobby is high up on a cliff. The view from the lobby of the beach, pool and hotel landscape is stunning. The other infinity pool is very tranquil. We also love our two bedroom villa which is extremely spacious. Both rooms are ensuite and sit at the lower level, and at the ground level, it has a large 6-seat dinning table which makes room service very enjoyable. The waiters set the tables for us. The sunset view from the open bar is the best we've ever had at any hotels. The fire dance is very artistic and not grueling. Better than anything we've seen.

However, there a few big disappoints:

1. The check in took forever. Our room was not ready until almost 3pm, although it should be ready by 2pm. We arrived at 12noon. They asked us to have lunch first, and then come back. But it still wasn't ready. They could have just told us to enjoy the hotel facilities first instead of hanging around without knowing how soon our room would be ready.

2. The check out also took more than 1 hour. We booked the family retreat package which allows kids to eat for free when you have paying adult. However, the detail terms of the offer is not clear to staff, and we keep receiving different suggestions and different interpretation of the offer. It seems the I-group's offer is not clear to all its properties. It was very tiring to explain each time when dinning in that we are on this package. No one knows about it. Upon leaving, I wrote a letter to the general manager but have not heard back from the hotel.

3. Not only the English language skill is very poor for a 5 star resort, they also don't seem that friendly, some are, but many are not.

I hope many of these shortcomings can be improved as it operates longer since it only opened since February 2012 because I do hope to go back there again. The landscape of the hotel and its villas are excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Pickypinky

Thank you very much for your review, we are delighted to read that you loved the resorts’ stunning views and the exotic landscape. The two-bedroom panoramic view villa is indeed a family haven. Thank you as well for sharing the shortcomings you experienced during your stay this would be of great help in resolving the service limitations. I am nonetheless disappointed that your stay did not fully meet your expectation.

We have reviewed the frontline issue you experienced during your arrival and departure with the concerned department, and reinforced the seamless course of action to ensure a smooth check in and check out experience. Regarding the English language we apologies that some of the team members have difficultly in expressing the language, however we have been providing ongoing English classes to the hosts to improve their confidence and language skills.

I do hope this will not deter you from returning, we do pride ourselves on providing the highest levels of “Thai hospitality” and services and what you experienced is most unusual. Please do get in contact with me regarding the letter as I have already replied to your letter. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed here recently for 4 days for a company trip with a big group, fantastic views, rooms and pools. Everything would have been perfect except for one really unpleasant experience with one of the staff that left a bitter taste in my mouth and a very bad impression. We wanted to go to Chaweng one evening which is the main area for shopping etc etc so we ask one of the hotel staff about arranging for a transport to town... The lady receptionist was really helpful and friendly and told us it would cost us 2000 baht for 2 ways by a mini van for the 8 of us and so we told her that we would like to arrange for it after our dinner. When we came back the lady was not around and there was another male staff there in her place by the name of Jean. We approached him and told him we would like top arrange for a trip to Chaweng. He picks up the phone and makes a call and says something in Thai and looks at us and said that it will cost 3000 baht for 2 ways. This was 1000 baht more than the price quoted by the previous receptionist. So this made us very suspicious. We told him that the girl working earlier told us it was 2000 baht for 2 ways to which he replied in an annoyed tone that she's gone home for the day and that if we still wanted to go it would cost us 3000 baht now. I ask him,"How could this be? Are there any other options? To which he replied, "No, this the only option and there is no other way. You want or not? " again with his annoyed look. All of us looked at each other and felt really trapped by the situation. Not because of the extra 1000 baht but because nobody likes the feeling of being ripped off especially in a place where you would expect to have professional hospitality. We had no other choice the hotel was up in the cliffs and there was no other way down. We discussed among ourselves and decided we had no choice. Just as we were about to accept the rip off deal, another lady working for the hotel came up and ask what was wrong and i ask her how much do they charge for transport to Chaweng for 8 of us and she said 2000 baht for 2 ways. The thai staff Jean immediately said looked at her and said something in thai angrily but it was too late we now knew for sure he was trying to rip us off. We now completely ignored him and told the lady that yes we would like to arrange it with her. We didnt even have to wait the transport was right at the lobby and boarded and left. The driver was really nice. I asked him while we were on the way how much for 2 ways just to make sure and he said 2000 baht for both ways.Honest guy too. We gave him a nice big tip for both ways on top of the 2000 baht.
Every other evening we paid the same amount for the same transport arrangement even with different drivers so this confirmed that our "reception/concierge" Jean was trying to make a quick buck off guests.
So if you do decide to stay here, watch out for this guy!
All the other staff were nice, helpful and always had a smile and we had had an amazing time apart from that incident.
I still give the hotel a thumbs up and big thank you to the rest of the of the team working there!
Good job!

Best Regards
Daniel Lois

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Daniel

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, we are delighted to read that you loved the resort, the views and the overall experience. Thank you as well for sharing the shortcoming you experienced this would be of great help in resolving the service limitations.

We have raised the issue mentioned with our team and proactive action steps have been established to solve this problem and circumvent such issues in the future.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning, we do pride ourselves on providing the highest levels of services and what you experienced is most unusual. Please do get in contact with me If may assist towards a return visit. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Kind Regards
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

On overall balance I was not that happy with the stay at the IC, the fact that the reservations department did not come back to my e-mail queries until I contacted the GM should have given me pause for thought.

Don’t get me wrong, this hotel is outstanding, the views fantastic and most of the staff is friendly, but on overall balance I think it was too early to stay there, I should have waited a couple of month.

I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa and purchased Club add-on extra go get access to the excellent benefits that Club offers even if there is right now no dedicated club lounge.

The 2 story villa compromised of an open area living/dining space upstairs with a large balcony and 2 bedrooms (each with bathroom) downstairs with another balcony but in my villa downstairs balcony was not in use.

The beds are extremely comfortable (one king in the master bedroom and 2 singles in the 2nd bedroom).

The bathroom in the master bed is featuring both a shower and a freestanding bathtub.

Each bedroom has a large TV with a Blue Ray player and the living room has also a Bose Sound system with an iPod docking station.

There is a small working desk (but Wi-Fi was not working for 2 days) and the dining area has a large table for dining.

I purchased club benefits, there is no dedicated lounge, instead beverages out of minibar are free, breakfast is served in the restaurant or via room service, afternoon tea is served in the reception area and drinks in the evening in the open air bar. Also all day coffee/tea/juices are available from all bars/restaurants for free. And on top of that a villa butler is available 24 hours, so this additional charge is well worth it.

The hard product is excellent; the renovation had done a great job in getting this up to a good standard and the views are outstanding from every point of the resort, be it from the hills or the beach area or pool areas (but not all pools are open yet).

The spa services were great, but spa is still in a temporary place (a villa converted) and once it is in its own space I’m sure it’s even better. The staff is very professional and provided excellent services even if for 2 days noise from renovation works at other villas disturbed during the treatment.

The Butler was great and provided a tailored service, however the other Staff was very inconsistent, some of there were outstanding, and other just plan unacceptable. Being greeted on a morning walk to the beach twice by the same person with “Where are you going, what do you want” is just not acceptable.

Also I found the Room service staff is great but the food is not the hottest when it arrives, the food was tasty and the quality great, but the temperature was just not the best consistently.

The breakfast room in the restaurant is too small; it’s uncomfortable to constantly bump into other people trying to get items from the buffet. The buffet area is to dark, too much is cramped into the little room which looks like it’s smaller the than the villa living/dining area. So I reverted to breakfast in the villa.

For 3 days I could clearly hear renovation work going on in other villas near to the SPA and my own villa, a clear sign that not everything is finished.

The Internet was not working for 2 days after a short power outage; I really question their IT department because a short power outage should not completely destroy their routers configuration.

On check-out I found that the charges they asked me to review were correct and for my room, she then proceeded to debit my card twice (one for the guarantee amount they took at check-in and one for the extra amount I owed). All fine and good but on the way to the airport I noticed that the final printout of 3 pages were only 2/3 mine, there was another’s guest printout in it. I can’t understand why they not just print invoices instead of screenshots of their internal charge system.

If you ask me if I would return, the answer would be not right now but in future yes.

I will wait a while until they have completed all the renovation work, the spa has moved to its real space and the staff is better trained, not to mention until they can actually print out a real invoice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear OdinTheConfused

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an elaborate review, we are delighted that you enjoyed the overall stay at InterContinental Samui. The two bedroom panoramic view villas are indeed unique villa experience in Koh Samui, ideal for families and for two couples travelling together. Thank you as well for sharing your feedback regarding the Club InterContinental as it’s a new concept for resorts and delighted to hear that you enjoyed the club benefits and tailored butler service.

We have taken note of the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and please rest assured that your valuable comments have been raised to our department heads, to look into ways of improving the services and experiences.

Thank you again for your review. I’m certainly delighted that despite some of the hiccups, you had an exquisite stay at our resort. We also hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to InterContinental on your upcoming visit to Koh Samui.

Kind Regards,
Arnaud Girodon

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!