“AVERAGE FOOD AND MORE EXPENSIVE THAN MICHELIN STARRED RESTAURANTS” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Cuisine

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Taling Ngam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Close to the Intercontinental Hotel inBaan Taling Ngam La Cuisine propose only French gastronomy, in a lovely typical Thai village *Foie gras mi-cuit Snail fricassee * Sweetbread with morels * Angus Beef fillet cep mushroom sauce * Veal kidneys old style mustard sauce * Monk fish Champagne and truffles beurre blanc * Scallops in " mille feuille * Home made ice cream and fresh pastries * On request, Fresh local lobsters * Large choice of french wines * Our restaurant do not accept a lot of people so for a romantic and quiet dinner in one of the last authentic Thai village, we preconise to book your table * La Cuisine is 15 metter of the beach in Baan Taling Ngam Village, through the elephant gate next to the temple. Apology no credit card
“AVERAGE FOOD AND MORE EXPENSIVE THAN MICHELIN STARRED RESTAURANTS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We decided to try this restaurant with it being the no 1 choice in Taling Ngam. I have no idea why it is the no 1 choice in this area. We were staying at a nearby 5* hotel and fancied a change to the hotel restaurants so we booked a table at La Cuisine. We were the only people in the restaurant on a Saturday night, which should have sent alarm bells ringing from the start. However the proprietor, Jerome is very charming and we thought based on the good reviews on here we would be in for an excellent evening.
We were two adults and three children and the bill came to 8000 thai bharts! We steered clear of a bottle of wine which would have added another approx 4000 thai barts (£100) to the bill!! That is more than we have paid to eat in top restaurants in London. This was an open aired basic building in a remote village. The food was extremely average and there was only a few items available on the menu.
The foie gras starter to be fair was good although there was too much in a portion. The main courses were very bland. Jerome had kindly offered to cook a piece of white fish for our 6 year old. It came with one potato and four carrots and we were charged 1200 thai bharts for this dish! That is about £30 UK sterling!!!!
I really don't understand the other positive reviews. We have had so many good meals in Thailand but this definitely wasn't one of them! Please steer clear as this is not value for money.........

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
jerome c, Owner at La Cuisine, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Emilyatthelodge

YOU CAN HAVE A DINER FOR FIVE PERSONS FOR 8000 THB ( Thai Baths today 169 Pounds ) in a Michelin stared restaurant !!!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WITCH ONE ????

I will give you some examples of price in Asia for TOP restaurant and for only one dishes

Normandy at Mandarin Oriental Bangkok a fish dishes is 1800 THB or 38 Pounds
Pierre restaurant in Hong Kong a fish dishes is 800 HKD or 68 Pounds

And in Europe

Le grand vefour Paris A fish dishes is 140 Euros or 120 Pounds
Water side in London a dishes of fish is 65 pounds

So I do not think you had visit one time a stared Michelin Restaurant, any way it is not the problem.

You write in your review "a piece of white fish" This simple piece of white fish was a back fillet of fresh cabillaud ! Apology but I do not have in my restaurant any basic " piece of white fish "

You complain about the price of the fish even it was on the menu I had charged the price of the fish for your 6 years old son but I DID NOT CHARGE THE DISHES OF YOU OVER SON and you forgot to write it why ???? So you had 2 dishes for 600 THB eatch this is the only think true !

You complain about a bottle of wine ??? I do not undestand why because when your husband was looking for wine asking me about the Chablis grand cru I had propose to choose the French wine by glass at 280 THB is it true or not ??

You complain about a so generous portion of foie gras ! Your complain is strange is't it ??

So if you can have a dinner in a London top restaurant with the wine for 34 Pounds ? one person please let me know where and not only me all the Tripadvisor contributors will be happy to visit your " top restaurant "

And I am very sorry if you did not appreciate the restaurant it self, a lot of guests love the spirit of the place in this small Thai village as a romantic auberge in France.

But I am not arrogant and a bad men so the only think I can said is I wishes for you and your family the best for your trip around the world

Jerome

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Ko Samui, Thailand
“La Cuisine - A must for lovers of fine French Food !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

For all the Gourmets of Koh Samui
A must for lovers of fine French cuisine
LA CUISINE in Ban Taling Ngam and his cooker and owner Jerome, you will discover exceptional dishes taste with greats French wines.
I recommend the Foie Gras which is in my opinion is one of the best I have eaten in a long time and i come from Alsace and Foie Gras is a famous specialty.
Then I ordered the Lotte aux Truffle ... and it was a culinary ecstasy.
With Chablis wine, it `s just beautiful!
Just 20 minutes from Lamai, i recommend this very nice place.Don`t miss it if you like the best fine food!
Visited June 2013

• Visited June 2013
jerome c, Owner at La Cuisine, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear ChrisSamui,

Thank you very much for visit and appreciate La Cuisine when you stay in Samui.

I hope to see you soon again.

Sydney, Australia
“Unexpected but extremely awesome surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We ate the food at the intercon for dinner one night and we got desperate. I-Talay served westernised Thai and we're kinda in the middle of nowhere. La Cuisine has no website, and the TA reviews seemed to have been faked. But then we said, "Well, it's either crap food we know at the intercon again, or we can try this out and: a. find out it's also crap or b. find out it's actually good". Instead of going with the evil we know, we decided to chance it.

AND OMFG WERE WE GLAD TO TAKE THAT CHANCE.

YES, I know what you're thinking, "Really? Awesome French food? In the middle of nowhere? This doesn't make sense at all. Why would he open here in the middle of nowhere? I bet all these TA reviews are mostly fake."

You couldn't be more wrong.

One of the best (and definitely most generous serving ever) foie gras imported from France, GREAT snail fricassée, and then there was the monkfish with truffle and beurre blanc sauce. Now, I dislike truffle after a bad experience with them at a restaurant in Tokyo, but this ... wow. The truffle's flavour were truly balanced by the monkfish and the sauce. I had the sweetbread (my first time) and again, very rich, but still balanced.

I don't understand how he did it, but this is no simple microwavable french dinner in a box. If it wasn't for the noises from the houses next door or the Thai architecture outside, we could easily mistake ourselves for thinking we're eating in France.

Then there's the little icy surprise, and uhm, the really good espressos as well. I asked only for one because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep afterward but ... I dunno, maybe all that heavy French food nullified or slowed the caffeine intake. Either way I slept fine and for the first time ever I understood why people take coffee as a digestive after dinner -- and to think we always ordered flat whites or cappuccinos!

But it's still not over ... he had pastries! The glutton that I am I took the chocolate éclair and the chantilly (?) as take away and had them the next morning. The éclair was great but the chantilly really hit the spot for me.

Lastly, as it was really late and raining cats and dogs, the owner offered to drive us back to the hotel!

Seriously, if you're stuck at the Intercon, give La Cuisine a try. Great food and friendly owner and very reasonable cost, especially given the quality and location.

• Visited June 2013
jerome c, Owner at La Cuisine, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Altanone

Thank you so much to have choose La Cuisine for your last dinner in Koh Samui.

Your review is an award for me as you had appreciate the spirit of my place a mix of luxury, gastronomy, France, Thailand an unique experience!

I hope to see you back soon in Samui and wishes to you and your lovely wife the best .

Jerome
Phatthalung
“Amazing and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The French "delices", good and refined, excellent wines, a gem in the middle of nowhere. Try, it values...!!!!

Visited June 2013
jerome c, Owner at La Cuisine, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Captain Deedee,

Thank you very much for visit and appreciate La Cuisine when you stay in Samui.

I hope to see you soon again.

Singapore, Singapore
“What an unexpected gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just back from dinner at this eatery and experiencing food coma (in a very good way).

The last place anyone would expect to find excellent French food would be in this small town of Baan Taling. While we are no experts at French cuisine, I think there is no escaping the GREAT food we had at La Cuisine this evening.

When I first saw the reviews on TA, I thought to myself that it should not be too difficult to achieve number one on a list of just 8 restaurants. However, many of the reviewers came across as very genuine and since we were a tad tired of the disappointing food at our resort, we decided to give La Cuisine a shot.

We were met by Jerome and his assistant and it was a quiet evening for them. Jerome served us some Pernod as our digestifs and gave us some food recommendations. Two of us chose the fillets of beef and another, the scallops. We were going to skip the starters (I think we were all unsure of the results at that point :)) but we decided to throw caution to the wind and to go for the foie gras since it was written about by so many other reviewers.

The foie gras was served with a bread basket. I think we stuffed ourselves silly on that as we were all quite full when our mains arrived. The broiche was excellent!

I don't know my French food but I do know my beef and it was done to perfection...... It was much better than the most recent steak I had at a respectable steak restaurant in Singapore and it was served with the most gorgeous gravy. The scallops were also very tasty and generously portioned.

After our mains, Jerome presented us with a sorbet made with Gewürztraminer wine. We had initially guessed it to be lychee sorbet and so we were surprised it was made from wine. Very light and refreshing, perfect to end off the heavy dinner.

There were some previous reviews that were unkind with regards to the pricing and 'pretence' of La Cuisine. I think that this restaurant, while not cheap by Thai standards but definitely not exorbitant, is well able to back up its pricing with the quality of the ingredients used. After all, it can't be cheap to have the foie gras and all the other necessary ingredients air flown weekly to this off beat town.

Jerome is very proud of his creations and he certainly does not hide the fact that he is not a trained chef. Notwithstanding, IMHO, the pride that comes with the cooking beats any number of Michelin stars when the food is cooked with a heart. Certainly no pretences there!

This place is not easy to find but give Jerome a call and he will most certainly be happy to help. An extremely friendly and helpful Parisian, strange but true! ;)

Also, please go with cash as they can't take credit cards due to problems with the swiping machines.

• Visited May 2013
jerome c, Owner at La Cuisine, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Mad4bags,

Thank you very much for your very kind review and understanding the daily challenge of French gastronomy in this small and authentic village in Samui.

I hope to see you soon back.