“Highly recommended for yoga experts and novices!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Samahita Retreat

You added Samahita Retreat to your Saves list
Samahita Retreat
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   55/20-24 Moo 4 T. Namuang, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
4.5 of 5 stars 104 Reviews
London, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended for yoga experts and novices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with my husband - we don't do a lot of yoga at home but were lucky enough to mainly be taught by Paul who was great, very thorough, showing even the regulars how they can be making the more out of every move. The rooms were really nice, very clean etc, beach was ok (not great), spa treatments were fantastic - we spent a lot of time in there and whilst the treatment rooms were basic, the treatments and therapists were brilliant. Food was very tasty (we're normally big meat eaters - none is served here) but enjoyed it anyway, and the juice bar. Lots of solo travellers there so there is a nice communal feel with everyone socialising around mealtimes etc. We weren't and it is hard to get space to yourselves but it was fine.

Overall well worth a visit for a relaxing/balancing few days!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Rattynatty, Many thanks for your kind review. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our yoga classes, rooms, spa treatments. and our food.. We do hope to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Laragne-Monteglin, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I had very high expectations for Samahita and I wasn't disappointed. I stayed for seven nights on the Pure Balanced Living wellness package. The retreat is stunning, set in a beautiful location on a quiet beach (although not good for swimming). The retreat has a lovely pool, dining area, lounging area - the whole place is really conducive for relaxation.

I stayed in a twin loft room - I didn't want to pay more and was advised that it was possible to be paired up with another female. Fortunately I had someone sharing my room for the final evening only. I have to admit that sharing throughout the week wouldn't have been great - it's the kind of place where it's nice to have your own space to retire to. The room was beautiful - airy, very clean, great bed, balcony and all the mod cons. The twin lofts are split so one bed is on a mezzanine level, which provides some privacy.

Service was excellent all round, staff very friendly. The girls in the spa work extremely hard and are very good at what they do - the quality of the spa is by no means compromised by the fact that it's treating residential guests.

The food was fantastic, very healthy and tasted great! Available between 10-1 and 6-8, it took a while to get used to these meal times and I often missed eating some lunch due to spa appointments. There is a juice bar that has a lovely food menu, but I was determined not to spend anymore than the cost of the stay itself.

The yoga teachers are excellent. Very high calibre and encouraged me to try mysore yoga (self practice with teacher on hand for support), which I did and it was great. I really feel like the retreat has given me a good foundation to practice yoga daily.

All round a fantastic place and I would definitely recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you book a twin loft to share, the 'A' rooms are downstairs (with bathroom) and the '...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Magicfish79, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Retreat. Truly pleased we met your expectations and that you enjoyed our facilities. Much appreciated are your comments about our food, services, staff and yoga teachers. Good luck with the Mysore practice! Best wishes from us all.
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Samahita is such a wonderful refuge and is absolutely worth whatever long flight you are taking to get there. I had about a 24-hour trip from Germany altogether, and it was definitely worth it for my two-week stay (anything under a week and a half would have felt too short for me personally). I went for Tim Feldman and Kino McGregor’s workshop and all the people I met that were attending were extremely diverse, with a passion for Yoga, and a wide range of abilities-from the complete beginner to advanced practitioners.

I do think if I was a complete beginner I would have been frustrated in class, as it seemed geared toward more seasoned practitioners. This may have been due to the high amount of students… I believe about 50+ and there were only two adjusters besides Tim and Kino (sounds similar to Mysore). Practice was very independent and you usually had to call the teachers over if you felt you needed adjusting. Although I would have definitely preferred a smaller class, the retreat itself was wonderful. Next time I will probably book a different teacher that has a smaller, more intimate group, but it was a good experience to be able to have that group energy and meet the people I did. I would have definitely preferred more discussions on philosophy and chanting throughout the two weeks... there was almost none except our last Q&A session, but that might be a positive for some people.

Samahita is very homey and unassuming, which I was concerned about since the price for a two-week stay is out of range for the average person. This is not to say it is outrageously expensive, but it is an investment for most, so before I went I was concerned this fact may attract snobbery… that was definitely not the case. The staff at Samahita are so sweet and I even started to pick up some Thai while I was there. The beach is virtually private and it was so nice to be able to go for a swim directly after your practice in the morning. The food was high quality and very healthy. Samahita please serve your most delicious food for dinner rather than lunch. There were so many mornings I was too full from breakfast to eat the yummy lunches (especially curries). :)

Definitely get a room with a roommate unless you are an extremely private person. The rooms are designed so you have one person sleeping up on a top level of the room and one person on the bottom. My roommate was wonderful and she added to the great experience of being there, but we were still able to have a sense of privacy. I had one issue the last day I was there where the power went out from a storm and I was quite disgruntled, but the general manager was receptive and helped me remedy the situation. Also I would suggest getting an upstairs room (I had room 23, which was perfect) since I was able to see the sunrise every morning through my window. I think the garden may have obstructed that, but having beautiful butterflies flying around your window all day might make that ehhh not so big of a deal :) I will say I have never seen so many little frogs, butterflies and snails in one location in my life.. it is like the rainforest and I loved that. If you hate animals, you probably won’t like it ;) In conclusion, go to Samahita and let it speak for itself. If you are doubting the investment because of some of the negative reviews, I say those are probably being written by people who will complain no matter how great a place is. I will definitely be going back in future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Kristabird, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed Kino McGregor and Tim Feldman's retreat. Many thanks for your kind comments about our staff, food and beautiful environment. We do look forward to welcome you back again at Samahita Retreat.
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Spend 2 yogic week with all the wellness terrapies. Great yoga classes good therapists.
Great food, mainly vegetarian, great juice bar. Food n drinks really affordable. Very nice rooms and bedding, but pillows are too high and too hard ... but others may like that.
Everything absolutely fitted my expectations.

Samahita is south of the Koh Samui Island, so little tourists around. Breakfast right on the beach at sunrise, you may imagine the rest.
And if you feel like joining the crowd just rent a scooter!

Room Tip: I preferred the rooms far from the entrance, so I can leave the curtains open.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Elleas, Thank you for your kind review, your comments about our food, juice bar and rooms are much appreciated. We are truly pleased to read that we met your expectations. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks doing a yoga retreat. The place had been designed to give a beautiful tranquil environment to learn and practice yoga right on the beach. I liked the holistic focus not just on yoga practice but also how the retreat centre impacts on the local environment. They work to keep waste to a minimum.
The food is plentiful and delicious.
A wonderful learning environment created with intention and love.

• Stayed March 2013
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Sparkle1956, Thank you for your kind review. Yes, Samahita Retreat has been created with love an genuine intentions and we do care immensly about the impact of our retreat centre in the local enviromement, thank you very much for noticing this. We are really pleased that your time with us was enjoyabe, a wonderful learning experience and you enjoyed our food. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes!
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just read the "disappointed" review and have to disagree strongly. Recently returned from a pure balance / detox break and can't praise Samahita highly enough. Such a lovely place and sweet, kind and caring staff. Food fantastic and the juice bar is open outside of the set mealtimes so additional juices / snacks etc always available during the day (for extra but not excessive cost). So what if a few stray dogs are roaming around, adds to the charm of the place I thought. Travelled solo and very easy to socialise or keep to yourself. Additional treatments and some items in the shop did seem on the expensive side compared to what you might be able to get nearby but overall thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear J B, Thank you for your review on tripadvisor and your kind praises. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed staying at Samahita Retreat, enjoyed our food and were happy with the services provided by our staff. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcome you again at our Retreat. Best wishes!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

It's nothing like the Grand Hyatt or W Hotel, but if you're looking for a place that offers daily yoga classes and a great beach in a simple, no frills format ... then this place is for you! The healthy fare served was absolutely delicious: there's a 'raw' section for those detoxing and lots of choices for vegetarians. Seafood was served in fresh abundance, oft in creative ways. Guests ran the gamut from retirees to young familes and even younger couples. I was there for a yoga retreat; plan to go back for a less structured holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear VivLeeAbdullah, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat in the near future. Best wishes!

Been to Samahita Retreat? Share your experiences!