“Great week at Samahita Yoga Thailand” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samahita Retreat

You added Samahita Retreat to your Saves list
Samahita Retreat
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   55/20-24 Moo 4 T. Namuang, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
4.5 of 5 stars 104 Reviews
Incline Village, Nevada
“Great week at Samahita Yoga Thailand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My girl friend, who is an excellent yogo teacher recommended Samahita for the both of us to go and stay for a week of sun, great food and yoga. She had not been, but she knew the guest yoga teacher, a man originally from London by the name of Simon Low who would be teaching the week of our stay. The classes were from 7:30am to 10am and then another from 4:30 to 6:30. Because of the amount of yogo involved, Simon went easy on the class, which was great for a new person like me, and he picked it up with each day of our stay. For myself, who is someone who had not yet seriously committed to yoga, both Simon and Samahita was the perfect combination. There are dozens if not hundreds of spas on Koh Samui, but Samahita specializes in yoga and delivers on it very well. Samahita only has enough room for about 35 guests and because it is reasonably priced, (the buffet is included if you don't order from the menu) it is typically very busy. You have your meals with people all over the world, which makes it interesting. They also have yoga teachers on staff if you don't sign up for the guest teacher program, a juice bar, gift shop, a wellness center for massages etc, and the staff is very nice. It was a perfect week of yoga introduction, healthy food and great sun because it is right on the beach, right next to their pool. There are other more expensive hotel/spa type places, which we went and looked at, ate some meals etc, but for yoga on the island, this is the place!!!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are smaller and adequate if you go by yourself, if traveling with someone else, if...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear KD2122, We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Retreat. Thank you for your kind comments about our guest teacher Simon Low, yoga, food and our staff. We do look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat in the future. Best wishes!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Samahita. She's a yoga teacher and I do yoga occasionally. We didn't do the retreat, but took part in the residential yoga on offer (twice a day).

Our room was fantastic - huge, clean, bright and well equipped. We weren't lacking a thing. We were in a Single Superior Room and I can't imagine really needing any more space at all. We had a lovely garden out front, and were a very short walk (1 minute) from the resort.

The whole resort was clean and very open, and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The beach alongside it was virtually private - something I didn't expect to find on Koh Samui! The smaller yoga shala is right next to the beach, providing some beautiful views for yoga, and the beach is a great length for a run, if yoga isn't always your thing.

The food was excellent. I was a bit wary of the idea of raw and all the healthy stuff (big meat eater) but it was really outstanding. Superb buffets which go on for hours so you can easily have breakfast and lunch from the brunch buffet. We was very impressed with the range of food and just how tasty it all was!

Overall we were very, very happy with our stay here. There was one problem I felt with it, which was that it could have been anywhere in the world. I really forgot I was in Thailand while I was there. Maybe that's not a problem for most - it wasn't for my wife - but I somehow felt that Thailand was missing. I'm not sure how this could be changed or really why, but I thought it was a shame. However, I think that our 3 day stay isn't enough to fully judge the retreat on, and I should think that if you go for a full-on yoga retreat and give yourself time to get out and explore the island as well, your view would be different. We definitely would recommend it to anyone who was considering it. It's beautiful, peaceful, friendly and calm.

My wife is going to write a more detailed review of the yoga on her blog, omshanti.dk, if you'd like to know more about it. Not sure when, but it'll come up soon :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lara M, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Retreat. Your kind comments about our Retreat, staff, rooms and food are much appreciated. We serve a mix of International and Thai food (vegetarian) on our Brunch and Dinner buffets. We will most certainly look into your comment to provide our guests with a wider selection of Thai food. We look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all.
Hilversum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I loved my stay at Samahita. The setting is beautiful, the rooms are nice, large and clean and I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The food was very good, I have not had the same meal twice and I was there for 2 weeks. The yoga teachers are very knowledgeable, I found them to be very inspiring and I have learned so much that I am still incorporating in my own practice. I found the location to be perfect, nice and quiet. If you do want to go out either during the day or in the evening, you can get a moterbike for a few bath a day, just down the road.

I can't wait to go back to Samahita!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Traveldebs, Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, we really appreciate this. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, was happy with our rooms, friendly staff and that our yoga teachers inspired you! We look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all!
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked a last minute week as I needed a break for my physical and mental wellbeing and Samahita did not disappoint. I'd had the Christmas flu for a month so my body and immune system was drained; events in my life meant I had not been practicing yoga much in the last year - I hit the mat at the first class like a sack of coal, but after a week my flexibility had improved greatly.

The location is quite isolated from any nearby towns so there is little disturbance by neighbouring properties or traffic, the most prominent noise is the crashing of the waves on the beach. If you have the desire to leave the retreat centre then you can hire cars or scooters or they will arrange taxis at reception. Samahita is a little piece of well maintained property and beautiful tropical gardens leading to the beach. The rooms are spacious, clean, simply stylish and comfortable. The wellness centre provides a good range of massage, facials and other treatments. I booked the Radiance package which provided me with yoga twice per day, a massage daily plus a choice of facials/scrubs/saunas every other day. These appointments, combined with the morning and afternoon yoga, meant I had a busy schedule so if you want a really relaxed pace of life, or time to sunbathe or read, don't commit to a pre-booked regime. If I return (and I hope to) I would just book a residential stay and supplement it with massages when I feel I want them - recognising these will be subject to appointments being available.

The food was very good, always a good selection of healthy food served in a buffet style, twice per day, brunch between 10am and 1pm and dinner between 6pm and 8pm. There's also a juice bar where you can order from a wide selection of mixed juices, snacks and meals, these are additional to the cost of your stay. I attribute feeling so good after just a week to the food.

The average day will start at 7:30am for the morning yoga practice and you'll slope off to bed shortly after dinner so around 8pm, you'll be tired and keen to go to bed and there isn't much else to do other than chat amongst your new like minded acquaintances. As meals are generally eaten immediately after yoga (you'll be thinking about food for the last 20 minutes of practice!), all you need to pack are yoga clothes, beach/pool wear and a couple of t shirts and shorts. I packed light smart casual clothes for the evening as I wasn't sure what to expect, but never wore them. If I return it will be with half the luggage.

There is only one aspect that I was concerned about, children are welcomed. In my mind, children at a retreat is a contradiction as the peace and tranquility will inevitably be compromised and when the environment is not geared towards keeping children safe and entertained, they object, parents become frustrated and an unhappy situation for all transpires. I spend a lot of time caring for children so my holidays are an escape from hearing the demands of children, which is one of the reasons why I usually choose yoga retreat environments. There were occasions when crying children could be heard during yoga practice or at meal times but retreat staff were often quick to try and appease the children and stem the noise. The retreat management do request parents respect the enjoyment of others, particularly during yoga practice, however parents are not always as attentive to the enjoyment of others. I saw a dirty nappy lying by a sun lounger on the beach, in the lounge salt cellars had been opened and salt strewn across the tables and the pool and lounge areas were often monopolised by baby/child noise and paraphernalia. It bothered me less each day as every other aspect of the retreat was so enjoyable, this is the only reason I haven't rated this five stars.

I have been to many yoga retreats in Europe, in comparison, Samahita offers the best quality food and facilities, particularly the opportunity to watch the sun rising over the ocean during the morning yoga practice.

Room Tip: I'm glad my room was on the upper floor, from my bed I could see the stars at night and pink ski...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Harshbutfair50, Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate your kind feedback about our rooms and Wellness Center with our treatments and our food. Our apologies that the presence of children sometimes bothered you, we are a child friendly Retreat, especially during the holiday season parents sometimes will bring their children along who will swim in the pool whilst the parents attend yoga classes or are being entertained at our kids club (away from the yoga shala) with games and other activities. Once again we thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat in the near future. Best wishes from us all.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were genuinely friendly and were always on hand. The people i met were special and had similar philosophies to my own. It was a very down to earth retreat where everyone helped each other. The food i particularly enjoyed and give me the energy I needed to positively enlighten me during my yoga. Unlike other places in Thailand where I have been and feel that things are money orientated and customer service is lost i did not find that here. The program I chose was the healthy weight program in which I got set vegetarian meals each day and had access to a personal trainer who consistently pushed me everyday.

I also took part in the cooking class which I thoroughly enjoyed and feel that it has helped me with healthy ideas while back in Hong Kong. Yoga is twice a day an hour and a half in the morning and an hour in the evening. There is also a fitness class option for people who really want to burn some calories!! The yoga was quite intense so proved sufficient for me with the healthy diet and juices I was having throughout the day. I also have never tried meditation but this was something that they offered and really helped clear my mind and will take this away with me.

I paid 13,300 hong kong dollar for a 1 week package. I found this to be a good value for money package. It includes 3 meals and 3 snack per day all healthy vegetarian food. Also a personal fitness trainer who helps work on strength and circuit training. Every morning have a meeting with the wellness team to discuss progress and how the course is going. Find this extremely useful. They are more than happy to listen and help.

The yoga instructors were brilliant. On my first day they made me feel very welcome and consistently helped me in my poses. After the week was finished I felt that I had learned more in a week than I had in 6 months of normal classes. Very knowledgeable teachers.
The room was very comfortable. King size bed, a lot of space and wifi. On the beautiful island of Koh Samui. Yoga in paradise 

For such a great experience and I vow to return next year

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear 1Asialover1, Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate your posetive feedback about our staff, food, healthy cooking class, yoga instructors and our rooms. We look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I LOVE Samahita, My stay there changed my life.

In late sept/October i spent 10 days at the retreat doing a healthy weight program. let me just say this not the place to come if you are expecting a resort type atmosphere. It is however a very comfortable well run retreat.

Everyone i met while there were happy regardless of if they were doing a full detox, yoga or healthy weight program.

The food was great, fresh, healthy, vegetarian meals.. they sometimes served fish.. however dont expect this on the healthy weight program as you dont have access to the buffet. (i treated myself to dinner on the last day).

The staff were amazing, a special shout out to my personal trainer So..who is the best trainer i have ever had and was super motivating without letting his ego get in the way. you are training once a day with a morning walk/run plus yoga classes on this program so its important to have a trainer like this.

The wellness staff were amazingly organised for a group of people with so many different clients with different needs. They are friendly & beautiful people.

The girls at the front desk made my day with their happy faces.

However like i said, dont expect a resort, the rooms are comfortable, attractive and of reasonable size but you wont be able to make special requests of the cleaning staff.. this type of holiday is best for people who are looking for a retreat experience, its friendly, the programs and food are great and the staff are great but they arent there to fawn over you.

The yoga classes are the best ive ever been to!

A little tip if you are going to do the Healthy weight program:
the schedule is full on!! you will have time to rest during the day & that is about it. I chose the essential program and the massages etc were great but by the end i thought i probably didnt need them all and would have then had time to swim in the pool or the ocean.

I would recommend booking at least 3 or 4 extra days on top of your program.. you can then enjoy the buffet and relax a little after your program and take some day trips out of the retreat. you must go to the marine park..it is beautiful! shopping is cheaper outside of chaweng. when you get there reschedule some of your massages onto the days after your program ends..this will give you more time to enjoy the retreat or take naps.

I also recommend a chat with dorien.. you can read about her about at the retreat and will probably see her around in the dinning area or at yoga. I got more out of one session with Dorien then i have in many sessions with others.

Room Tip: I would attempt to get an upstairs room and this is only because the only negative i have about the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear MissAmyR, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Retreat. You kind words are much appreciated. I will forward your commentst to our staff including So, our Personal Trainer. Referring to your comment on the garden lights, shining to the blinds at night, we are looking into replacing the blinds to keep the sunlight out during the dayt and the garden lights at night. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed for a month at Samahita in March this year at a critical time in my life.
Left my highly stressed corporate world and a marriage.

A friend suggested Samahita and I thought WHy not?

I had never done Yoga ever in my life.

The month at Samahita re-energized my body, my mind and,most impotently, my Soul.

Not only did I learn Yoga but I lost 7 kg in weight and felt fantastic.

I also rediscovered my love of poetry writing and the wonderful mystique of Koh Samui inspired me to write 40 poems!

Best of all was that I got to meet so many interesting people from all over the world.

A fantasic experience in a superp place.

Highly recommended at least oce in your life!
Glenn Morris

Room Tip: I stayed at the adjacent Easytime Resort as no rooms were available. Fantastic value at Easytime.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Glenn M, Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated. We are really pleased to read about your wonderful experience at our Retreat. It makes us happy that we were able to teach you yoga and make you feel re-energized. We do hope to welcome you back our Samahita Retreat in the near future. Best wishes!

Been to Samahita Retreat? Share your experiences!