“Lifes Tranquility” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samahita Retreat

You added Samahita Retreat to your Saves list
Samahita Retreat
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   55/20-24 Moo 4 T. Namuang | Bang Kao Beach, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Lifes Tranquility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were genuinely friendly and were always on hand. The people i met were special and had similar philosophies to my own. It was a very down to earth retreat where everyone helped each other. The food i particularly enjoyed and give me the energy I needed to positively enlighten me during my yoga. Unlike other places in Thailand where I have been and feel that things are money orientated and customer service is lost i did not find that here. The program I chose was the healthy weight program in which I got set vegetarian meals each day and had access to a personal trainer who consistently pushed me everyday.

I also took part in the cooking class which I thoroughly enjoyed and feel that it has helped me with healthy ideas while back in Hong Kong. Yoga is twice a day an hour and a half in the morning and an hour in the evening. There is also a fitness class option for people who really want to burn some calories!! The yoga was quite intense so proved sufficient for me with the healthy diet and juices I was having throughout the day. I also have never tried meditation but this was something that they offered and really helped clear my mind and will take this away with me.

I paid 13,300 hong kong dollar for a 1 week package. I found this to be a good value for money package. It includes 3 meals and 3 snack per day all healthy vegetarian food. Also a personal fitness trainer who helps work on strength and circuit training. Every morning have a meeting with the wellness team to discuss progress and how the course is going. Find this extremely useful. They are more than happy to listen and help.

The yoga instructors were brilliant. On my first day they made me feel very welcome and consistently helped me in my poses. After the week was finished I felt that I had learned more in a week than I had in 6 months of normal classes. Very knowledgeable teachers.
The room was very comfortable. King size bed, a lot of space and wifi. On the beautiful island of Koh Samui. Yoga in paradise 

For such a great experience and I vow to return next year

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear 1Asialover1, Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate your posetive feedback about our staff, food, healthy cooking class, yoga instructors and our rooms. We look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I LOVE Samahita, My stay there changed my life.

In late sept/October i spent 10 days at the retreat doing a healthy weight program. let me just say this not the place to come if you are expecting a resort type atmosphere. It is however a very comfortable well run retreat.

Everyone i met while there were happy regardless of if they were doing a full detox, yoga or healthy weight program.

The food was great, fresh, healthy, vegetarian meals.. they sometimes served fish.. however dont expect this on the healthy weight program as you dont have access to the buffet. (i treated myself to dinner on the last day).

The staff were amazing, a special shout out to my personal trainer So..who is the best trainer i have ever had and was super motivating without letting his ego get in the way. you are training once a day with a morning walk/run plus yoga classes on this program so its important to have a trainer like this.

The wellness staff were amazingly organised for a group of people with so many different clients with different needs. They are friendly & beautiful people.

The girls at the front desk made my day with their happy faces.

However like i said, dont expect a resort, the rooms are comfortable, attractive and of reasonable size but you wont be able to make special requests of the cleaning staff.. this type of holiday is best for people who are looking for a retreat experience, its friendly, the programs and food are great and the staff are great but they arent there to fawn over you.

The yoga classes are the best ive ever been to!

A little tip if you are going to do the Healthy weight program:
the schedule is full on!! you will have time to rest during the day & that is about it. I chose the essential program and the massages etc were great but by the end i thought i probably didnt need them all and would have then had time to swim in the pool or the ocean.

I would recommend booking at least 3 or 4 extra days on top of your program.. you can then enjoy the buffet and relax a little after your program and take some day trips out of the retreat. you must go to the marine park..it is beautiful! shopping is cheaper outside of chaweng. when you get there reschedule some of your massages onto the days after your program ends..this will give you more time to enjoy the retreat or take naps.

I also recommend a chat with dorien.. you can read about her about at the retreat and will probably see her around in the dinning area or at yoga. I got more out of one session with Dorien then i have in many sessions with others.

Room Tip: I would attempt to get an upstairs room and this is only because the only negative i have about the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear MissAmyR, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Retreat. You kind words are much appreciated. I will forward your commentst to our staff including So, our Personal Trainer. Referring to your comment on the garden lights, shining to the blinds at night, we are looking into replacing the blinds to keep the sunlight out during the dayt and the garden lights at night. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed for a month at Samahita in March this year at a critical time in my life.
Left my highly stressed corporate world and a marriage.

A friend suggested Samahita and I thought WHy not?

I had never done Yoga ever in my life.

The month at Samahita re-energized my body, my mind and,most impotently, my Soul.

Not only did I learn Yoga but I lost 7 kg in weight and felt fantastic.

I also rediscovered my love of poetry writing and the wonderful mystique of Koh Samui inspired me to write 40 poems!

Best of all was that I got to meet so many interesting people from all over the world.

A fantasic experience in a superp place.

Highly recommended at least oce in your life!
Glenn Morris

Room Tip: I stayed at the adjacent Easytime Resort as no rooms were available. Fantastic value at Easytime.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Glenn M, Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated. We are really pleased to read about your wonderful experience at our Retreat. It makes us happy that we were able to teach you yoga and make you feel re-energized. We do hope to welcome you back our Samahita Retreat in the near future. Best wishes!
WashingtonDC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Samahita retreat is overrated and the atmosphere is self-righteous. Being a simple unpretentious place, which is what the owners say it aspires to be, should not mean that service is poor, food is mediocre, communication is difficult and management is absent.

What's up with the water in the room being in a rotten plastic container and never being changed? why not provide shampoo and bath gel? what's up with the yoga mat being priced at a whooping $100? and since when rice and cabbage is the only organic option for a meal? It seems motivated by greed rather than respect for the environment.

In addition, one of the days of my stay happened to be "Sports Day": a full day of drums, screams and barbecue which forced me to flee the resort. When I complained to the manager he responded to me "Sports Day is annual and is much looked forward to by our staff" . Easy to respond that when customers have already pre-paid 100% of your stay.

Finally I felt the experience was anonymous and not personalized. After 2 days at Sukhothai in Bangkok, the staff knew my name - there after 4 days they didn't.

I feel it is not the best option for that price in Koh Samui - do yourself a favor: book in one of the nice luxurious hotels around, don't drink and bring a Yoga DVD with you: you will have a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tristand864, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Samahita Retreat and its management welcome all feedback, good or bad. It saddens me that you did not enjoy your stay with us.We are absolutely not self-righteous, everything we do at Samahita Retreat is being done in a professional manner and with love and care. Our food is being prepared with the utmost of care, our chef and kitchen staff receive constant training, hence the fact that our receives excellent reviews, that this was not be too your taste is unfortunate and could have been simply resolved by talking to me. Our management team is very much visible and always ready to talk to our guests, that includes myself I walk through the Retreat constantly to make sure that our guests are well taken care of. As we not provide water in throw away plastic bottles we place plastic containers in the guest room’s mini fridges for guest to fill them up with water. Our Sport Day issues is indeed a yearly event something we already discussed during your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Sukothai in Bangkok which is one of Thailand’s leading 5 star hotels, something which we are not and we do not pretend to be, however as the Sukothai we do know all our guests names, pride ourselves on providing our guests with a memorable stay and an excellent service as we genuinely are about what we are doing at Samahita Retreat.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I did the Healthy Weight Wellness Program which was intense, but great. The Wellness Center staff are wonderful and the food was yummy. The rooms and resort are beautiful and the beach, although shallow at low tide, is mercifully empty of the hordes of tourists you find on other parts of Koh Samui. All the instructors and classes were excellent. Keep in mind there is no alcohol or meat on the premises, so if you are looking for a crazy beach party vacation this isn't the place for you, but if you want a tranquil, beautiful, relaxing retreat it is great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Nergui, Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor. We are really happy to read that you had a great experience at Samahita Retreat. We look forward to have you staying with us again. Best wishes!
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Did the 7 day Healthy Weight Wellness Program. Lost between 3-4 kgs in 7 days. You will feel energized and relaxed by the 2nd or 3rd day!

***Overall Feedback - Truly excellent experience - lots of fitness, healthy eating, pampering treatments, detox (steam, infrared sauna and colon hydrotherapy). The program is well organized and balanced. On arrival, you will receive a bag, water bottle, stevia, coconut oil, weight loss supplements, cookbook, and booklet with your daily schedule and information. You will have a full schedule of supplements, exercise, yoga, treatments, vegetable & coconut juices, 3 meals, 3 snacks (optional), cooking class, and it's great - you don't have time to be hungry or bored! The massage and treatments are perfection - you really will feel pampered. The environment is tranquil, very relaxing and cozy - although the schedule is packed, you do have time to take a swim, read a book, nap or walk on the beach. (I didn't have time though to take an excursion to explore Koh Samui - would stay one more day to do this). Recommend you arrive in the morning or night before starting the program, so you can have the full 7 days of the program. The rooms are grounds are clean and well maintained. ****

Price - Euro 1310 for the 7 day package. I thought it was reasonable price for the package and with money well spent given all the care and treatments you are receiving.

Schedule
3-4pm - Fitness class
4-5pm- Free time
5-6pm -Yoga
6-8pm Dinner
745pm - Meditation (Tues, Thurs, Sun)

The steam room was available from 6-8pm but my schedule was so packed I only had time to do it 2 times. You don't have to do all the fitness or yoga classes. On Saturday - its considered rest day and there was no fitness class and only light yoga.

Fitness - The fitness trainer, So, is very friendly and explains the different exercises and muscle groups you will be working. The 630am beach walk starts and ends with stretching. In the afternoon class may use fitness ball, dumbbells, circuit training, and bicycle.

Yoga - Morning yoga starts with 30 minutes breathing exercise and 90 minute yoga. Afternoon yoga is restorative and light. You can follow the instructor or do your own practice. The instructors - Elonne, Rachel, Ivana - are all very patient and explain the different poses, breathing technique, and correct posture. A beginner will not have any problem learning. On average about 5-15 people were in each class.

Food - On the healthy weight program you have a customized menu - 1000 kcal/day. Breakfast is - grain porridge, fruit plate or fruit smoothie. Lunch is vegetable and grain (brown rice, quinoa). Dinner is vegetable soup. With each meal you will have different teas. In afternoon, there is also a fruit/veggie juice, coconut water, and a gotukola shot. You can have 3 snacks in between meals if you like - usually carrot, celery, cucumber, apple, hummus, and nuts (cashews or seeds). The food is a mix of Indian, Mediterranean, Thai, Japanese. The chef used a lot of cumin and salt initially - just personal taste, I didn't really like it much but it was edible. Would prefer more Thai, other Asian, and Japanese dishes. The food temperature was not consistent. The juices are freshly made and really delicious. The portions are sufficient - you won't feel hungry at all and most times don't need the snacks. There is a lunch and dinner buffet for the folks not participating in the programs. Most of the folks on detox or healthy weight program ate at the wellness/detox center so we were not tempted by the buffet food (they had cookies at the buffet, but healthy ones!)

Colon Hydrotherapy - was nervous about this and the therapist Jeab seemed at bit serious at first. But she is really nice and tells you what she will be doing (water in, release water etc). When you feel you need to release - just let her know and she let the outflow (sorry so much detail!). She will massage your stomach during the procedure. It's not painful and there is no discomfort. In fact, it's relaxing and you may fall asleep. At the end you will receive a green (enzymes/ probiotics) and water mixture which you will have to hold for 5-10 minute. You will receive some enzymes/ probiotics capsules after the treatment.

Wellness Treatments and therapist- All amazing! The healthy weight program came with many treatments (scrubs, wrap, stomach/foot massage and choice of massages (Thai, Aromatherapy, Swedish, Therapeutic etc) , infrared sauna) and you will have 2-3 treatments a day. Some days there were 4 treatments and it felt so busy going from treatment to treatment. The wellness team will schedule all the treatments for you but you can contact them to re-schedule as needed.

Staff - All are very friendly and caring. The Wellness team - Tang, Tan, Mew are always smiling and really look after you - from bringing your meals to reminding you about your treatments or asking how you are feeling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Room - I stayed in room 5 on the 2nd floor, closest to the road. Occasionally heard the cars and motorcycles but overall it was really quiet. Although I booked a single room, I got the room that had two levels - with bed each on the main floor and loft floor. On the main floor there is bathroom with outdoor shower, long desk, refrigerator, Ipad/Iphone docking station, two cupboards (each with a safe, laundry basket, umbrella, and clothes rack). Both levels had fans and the AC was on the upper loft floor. The AC was rather noisy and not really cold. My room lighting short-circuited one evening and the engineers were quick to fix it the next morning.

The bed is comfortable; the pillow was a bit to high for my taste.

Like other reviewers, I also noticed some sewage smell from the bathroom - I just kept the bathroom window and door to the shower open during the day. The windows to the balcony have blinds but they do not block the light at night and since the street lamp is on - it will be quite bright in the room. Bring an eyemask if you need to have a dark room at night.
Balcony was spacious with wraparound benches. If you hang out wet laundry in the morning, it will usually be dry in 3-4 hours with the sun and breeze.

Main area - The rooms are not directly on the beach, you have to walk about 50 meters from the rooms to the reception area. Overall the main area is clean and many trees and flowers. Its all open air and there are no air-conditioning in the reception, dining area, welness/detox center, beach shala (for yoga) - there are fans throughout. The massage treatment rooms do have fans or AC.

Pool and beach - Small salt water pool adjacent to the beach. The beach is really calm and flat, very shallow so not many people swam in the sea. The beach is quite deserted (apart from some dogs). If you face the ocean and walk to right along the beach you will reach the Laem Sor Pagoda.

Other tips - Bring you own
- yoga mat (they have them for loan but a limited quantity and the yoga mats for sale seemed expensive)
- sandals (you have to take off your shoes before going into yoga shalas, dining area and wellness/detox area)
- body wash and shampoo (or you can buy the organic products at their shop)

Preparing for the program
- they do send you some suggestions to prepare for the program 2-3 weeks before. I do suggest you follow it. I reduced alcohol, sugar, rice/bread, and meats as much as I could before coming to the retreat and increased exercise. I think that made it easier for me to do the healthy weight program and achieve the results I wanted.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear jewel838c, Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. We are truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and our Healty Weight Program left you feel relaxed and energized. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes!
Hiroshima, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I arrived a few days ago, the location is great- quiet (away from the party beaches and busier parts of Koh Samui) and so beautiful. The facilities are made up of a few buildings and yoga studios with a shady walkway between them. Then there is a small, but nice little pool, steam room and open air Yoga "shala" right near the sea so you can gaze out at the calm ocean while breathing, stretching and meditating.

Everyone has been raving about the restaurant and there are even some who come from other areas just to enjoy the great vegetarian (some fish, eggs and dairy but not much) delights on offer. The "raw" foods which include ravioli and pasta (made entirely of vegetables) are especially wonderful. There is a buffet for guests with a range of wonderful foods open from 10-1 and then a smaller buffet open in the evening after yoga practice finishes. The kitchen is also open all day for al a carte orders - the food is reasonably priced (100~200 baht per plate = ¥300~¥600 = $4+). There are also a variety of smoothies, mocktails and snacks available.

Although a lot of guests just come as a yoga guest, the wellness center also offers great detox and health courses you can sign up for. I did a 3 day healthy detox - it seemed a little expensive at booking (you have to pay 100% before you arrive) but has been worth every euro. The addition of sauna, massage, counseling, supplements as well as soups and shakes has been a great experience in health and something I could have never done on my own. It has really taught me a lot about my own health and body that I will be able to hopefully carry on.

The staff are very personable and in the wellness center they are great at keeping up with all of our timetables of treatments, meals and supplements. The quality of massage on offer here really cannot be compared to anything you encounter on a thai beach, the rooms are spotlessly clean and fan or air-conditioned, the staff expertly trained and they take customer feedback seriously so as to always keep up the highest quality of service.I had a chi-stomach massage, reflexology, full body aromatheraphy massage and they were all amazing. The therapy type massages like chi and reflexology are a bit uncomfortable during but if you had ailments or body complaints before it, you feel much better afterwards. The oil body massages are more relaxing and enjoyable both during and after.

The yoga instructors are also fabulous and really make you feel welcome. The classes are a mixture of form focus and challenging moves that they help you adjust for your level. For advanced students of Yoga, one of the retreats or special seminars would probably suit your level best. That said, they do offer Mysore yoga practice (do your own routine while the instructor just corrects form, no teaching) in the mornings which is great for the more advanced or independent.

The other guests are also very friendly and people often enjoy chatting around the pool or dinner table with one another. There is no alcohol or smoking at Samahita and it is very peaceful and quiet, there are no party hotels nearby, the beach is often deserted and there is very little noise of any kind disturbing you day or night.

All in all, there is really nothing to dislike about this place, it is a wonderful option if you are hoping to get away from it all and have a healthy, clean, beautiful, refreshing break from busy life.

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone but doing detox, it is best to get your own room (sharing doesn't rea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear jjw_hiroshima, Thank you for your kind comments about our Retreat. We are really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we do look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat in the near future. Best wishes!

Been to Samahita Retreat? Share your experiences!