“ashtanga yoga paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samahita Retreat

and 1 more site!
You added Samahita Retreat to your Saves list
Samahita Retreat
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   55/20-24 Moo 4 T. Namuang, Taling Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Vienna, Austria
“ashtanga yoga paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

it´s quite easy for me to summarize our experience at samahita yoga thailand:
it was PERFECT and even more than we expected.

anyway, to embrace all the details i have to use some more words. :-)

1. the area
due to many thailand journeys we knew the local surroundings of the retreat center before we arrived for our stay. it is the most idyllic part of koh samui with less people, less noise, and less tourism. but there ARE the most important things one needs for a retreat:
silence & nature.
a beautiful, palm-fringed white beach, with a buddhist pagode on the right end and an endless strech of sand on the left. perfect for long walks or runs- if it´s not too hot- and for a dip in the warm see.
there are also some small beach shacks around to take a break in between :-)

2. the rooms
..are really nice & clean.

3. the people
the staff and the guests alike where wonderful.
met interesting people from all over the world and made friends with some of them...still in contact :-)

4. YOGA
...the led classes in the beach shala and the mysore classes where the best- really THE BEST- we have ever done.
not only the peaceful surroundings and the atmosphere where beneficial for our practice... most of all we want to highlight THE TEACHERS who have been absolutely brilliant.
rachel (!!!), ivana and amy did everything to get the best out of us all. 10 days made a HUGE difference in our practice. be prepared to sweat. A LOT. more than ever. be prepared to get inspired. to fly. to be aware of each breath.
we absolutely loved it, really.
the evening classes were the restorative ones. they are well needed after the challenging morning practice!
the pranayama in the morning was quite easy and good for our focus before class. well explained and wonderful to recharge body & mind with energy.
there was also led meditation and guided relaxation twice a week which was amazing.

5. the food
...was perfect for the intensive yoga practice.
lots of vegetables, salads, rice, noodles, soups, breads, juices, joghurt, mueslis, curries, fresh fruits... nearly too good :-)
we were only wondering why there was fish on the menu sometimes- which doesn´t really get along with the yogic philosophy... but it´s still depending on the guest´s choice to eat or not to eat, isn´t it ;-)

overall it was a wonderful stay, and we would love to come back at some point of our lives :-)

btw: we recommended your teacher training to a friend of us who is looking for a good one since one year. i think she wants to join in 2013.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.
om shanti from austria
nina & herta

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Nina and Herta, thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. Your kind comments about our location, rooms. staff, yoga classes, teachers and our food (yes, we do have serve fish on certain days, if guests prefer not to eat fish there are many vegetarian options available) are much appreciated! Thank you for recommending our Teacher Training to one of your friends. We do look forward to welcome you both (and your friend) again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Moncton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Given the high cost of staying at this retreat centre, I was expecting great service, great food and wonderful yoga.

The good:

Yoga: The guest teachers (Tim Feldmann and Kino MacGregor with assistant Zoe) were wonderful. The mysore style classes were amazing and their guidance was brilliant. The afternoon workshops were tremendously helpful.

Rooms: rooms are nice, have A/C and large bathroom. Beds are hard, but they are hard all over SE Asia.

The bad:

Food: A huge disappointment. There are two meal periods; brunch between 10am-1pm and the supper between 6pm-8pm. The huge gap between the two was daunting. The brunch options were adequate, plentiful, and tasty but afterwards it is a long wait until supper if you're a 3 meals a day kind of person. The supper was completely uninspired. Salad and greens (and by greens I mean one kind of green vegetable with plain brown rice). Every night. They also seem to have an issue deciding on a temperature to serve the meals. hot or cold...you never really know if it was meant to be lukewarm or they aren't quite sure how to keep things hot. You end up having to order from their side menu for additional $. For the price of the retreat, I was expecting much better. Also the dinners were not very filling and nutrients were not equally dispersed (barely any protein and if you're a true vegetarian, on the few nights they served fish you were really out of luck)

The service: There was never anyone around to help you out if you had questions. Not sure if it was a language barrier but it seemed like the staff didn't really acknowledge me most times...had to get their attention. This was especially frustrating since they automatically add a 10% service charge to everything...not sure why.

The cost: 10% service charge + 7% VAT on everything...so basically a huge 17% addition to your stuff. Also, if you pay for the retreat using paypal, you have to pay the 3% paypal fee on top of the retreat fee. The cost of spa services and items at the "juice bar" are much more expensive than if you were off the retreat grounds. For instance, a massage would run you close to 1000 baht on resort but costs 300 baht in a nearby town.

Stray dogs: It's not so wonderful to have a stray dog sit on your yoga mat in the middle of practice. or come wandering to you while you're trying to have your meal, or relax by the pool. or even sit on your beach towel... Saw one of them peeing on the pool chairs.

Overall: Very pricey in contrast to the rest of Thailand and the island. Yoga is great, but the retreat centre needs some work.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. Your kind comments about our Guest Teacher, Tim Feldmann and Kino MacGregor and their assitant Zoe are much appreciated. We aim to keep our rates fair and transparent. We do take great pride in our food and generally receive great reviews about this, it is unfortunate that you considered the time between our Brunch and Supper too long, your comments about our dinner buffet, the temperature of the food and the attention of the staff are duly noted. As in most hotels/resorts/retreats in Thailand we do add 10 % service charge and 7 % tax on items which can be ordered from our a la carte menu and treatments offered in our Wellness Centre, this is clearly marked on both the a la carte menu in our restaurant and the treatment menu in our Wellness Centre. Treatments offerend in our Wellness Centre are of a very high standard and cannot be compared with treatments offered outside. I cannot apologize enough about the stray dog, stray dogs are a real problem in Koh Samui, we regulary catch dogs and cats (this in a human way) and bring them to the Animal Rescue Centre on the island, as I do strongly believe that a Retreat/Resort/Hotel is not a place for dogs and cats. We hope to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat in the future. Best wishes.
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

In 2010 I took the yoga teacher training course, and this year I came back for the Pranayama & Buddhist Philosophy with Tiwari & Paul.
The main reason I keep coming back is the quality and sincerity of the teachings that I receive. Everything within Yoga Thailand has been carefully thought after, from the amazing food to the wonderful wellness centre, all the staff are highly trained and happy to help. I can full heartily recommend Yoga Thailand for relaxation, self growth, study, health and to nurture your mind and soul. I feel very lucky to have found this retreat as there are so many now to choose from on the web & I hope that you find what you need too. Namaste

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our Retreat at Tripadvisor. Your kind comments about our Retreat, Teachings, Food and Wellness Centre are much appreciated. It pleases us immensly if we are able to help our guests with self growth, study , relaxation and the nuturing of the mind and soul. Best wishes.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Samahita retreat is the place to go, if you are looking for yoga, detox, health, peace and quiet and laughter. This was already my second time around and yes the devil is in the detail, which in my experience is great.

Things are running smooth under the watch full eye of Bob de Jong, the General Manager (it was a pleasure meeting you). He is not only watching over his staff, but is also there for a check up on, chat and laugh with the guests.
The staff at the detox centre is friendly, skilled and help full ( thank you Claudia, Wellness Director and the whole team). It makes detoxing mostly a pampering (!) experience. I do advice to stay on after the detox to get back into the lovely food and Thai flavors of the buffet.

Under Paul Dallaghan's guidance, the yoga teachers and classes are very professional. Ashtanga yoga courses for teachers are often booked out, because of the professionalism.
There is room for every level of Yogi to improve. The level of attention, detail and material (also last year we had enough props, mats and space) is all you (I) need.

The bedroom's are spacious, clean, but the bed is very firm, which does not suit every body.
I agree with the payment issue of not easy to transfer, while so often you can do online credit card payments in an easy way. That is something to work on for samahita.

Thank you so much for looking after me, my health and joy!

Christel Sydney Australia

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear Christel, I thank you for sharing your possetive experience with us. Your kind comments about our Retreat are much appreciated. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat in the future. Best wishes!
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I found Samahita Retreat by change on the internet, I was planning to go to Bali, Indonesia. So glad that I decided to stay at Samahita instead what a wonderful, peaceful place. I had booked a Detox package and the Samahita staff looked after me from the moment I arrived until the second I arrived back at Koh Samui airport. I have done Detox before but never experienced the level of support I received at Samahita (a big thank you to Claudia, the Wellness Director and her team). In other hotels/resorts you do not see a lot of the actual management, not so at Samahita, Bob the General Manager really takes an interest in his guests and has high standards in place which results in a wonderful overall experience. The yoga classes are top notch. Rooms situated in a lovely garden are very clean and well appointed. As I was on Detox I could not use the buffet meals until the last two days of my stay, delicious vegetarian food. Samahita......, I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We really appreciate your kind comments about our Wellness Center, yoga, staff, food and rooms. Best wishes!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We spent two weeks in January at Yoga-Thailand. We chose the yoga residential stay package, and thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from the yoga instruction. (Although at times, there were too many guests participating in the yoga classes for the space available - e.g., not enough props to go around, not enough space for all the mats.) The teachers are friendly, experienced and very helpful.

On the other hand, there should be more to Yoga-Thailand than yoga classes, particularly given the costs and the fact that everything must be paid for in advance. We found this aspect particularly troubling. Not only do you need to pay in full in advance, you must also pay the surcharges associated with making your payment in advance (whether bank transfer, credit card, or PayPal). No other hotel in Thailand that we stayed in passed these surcharges onto their customers. And in fact, this is actually in violation of PayPal's policies. We agree with other comments on TripAdvisor re: the penny-pinching, money-focused tone of Yoga-Thailand.

Overall, the food (buffet twice a day is included in the yoga residential stay) was uninspired, fairly monotonous and really quite disappointing. We have been vegetarians for years so it wasn't a matter of not appreciating vegetarian cuisine. The resort is tucked away, which is wonderful in many ways, but problematic in others, e.g., you can't just buy some snacks if you're still hungry after dinner, you can't go anywhere without paying exorbitant taxi fares. And the property is small - much smaller than the website suggests.

Take lots of money, be prepared to "love thy neighbor," but look forward to some great yoga instruction.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback. Your comments about our friendly and knowledgeable yoga teachers are much appreciated. Be assured that we have plenty of props in our store to go around. Thank for pointing out the paypal fees, we will most certainly look into this. I would like to make clear that we are not "penny pinching"our rates are fair and below any comparable compition, and and are transparent, as all the information on our website is. There is more to Samahita Retreat than the yoga , it is of course up to each person to engage in this. We aim to give value and keep our rates low. Unfortunately we cannot satisfy everyone with our food, generally we receive rave reviews about our food as this is very important to us, we continually improve our food and recently added more raw food items on our buffets and there are plenty of healthy snacks available from our juice bar. Best wishes!
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I spend one week in Samahita yoga early February. It was a full board retreat. The facilities are beautifully located at the beach, the sleeping part is a little more in the back. The rooms are very tastefully decorated.
On the whole I was quite satisfied, but there were a few things that were not so OK, certainly given the serious price level:

Booking / paying is complex and 3% is charged extra on credit card / Paypal payment.

The food (buffet) was not as varied as I expected, but worse: it was cold all week. Their system for keeping the food warm was obviously not prepared for so many windy days (and windy it was!)

There were two incidents in which there was a discussion about charging some minor items, which created the impression that charging the customer is a bigger theme than serving the customer. The first one was solved, the second one I did not go even in discussion any more, I was fed up with it. Just gave them the money.

The atmosphere between the guests was very good, so I understand the positive feedback on trip advisor. However, the hotel can certainly improve in the details.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.
Your possetive comments are much appreciated. We met on several occassions during your stay with us and also had lunch together, during lunch you complemented us on our food, as such I am surprised that you do not consider our choice of food varied, our food is really something we put our hearts and souls in as this is very important in our retreat, you comments about the out sytem to keep our food warm is noted. Charging for minor items, in every hotel/resort/retreat guests will have to pay for items purchased, this includes repairs to a rented motorbike (minor charge to repair a punched motorbike tire), maybe this was not made clear to you at the time the motorbike was rented. Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. We look forward to welcome you again at our retreat in the future. Best wishes!

Been to Samahita Retreat? Share your experiences!