“A Little Gem but with a downside” 4 of 5 stars

Upper Largo Hotel
4 Main Street | Upper Largo Near St.Andrews, Fife, Largo KY8 6EJ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Largo B&B and Inns
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
“A Little Gem but with a downside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My partner and I had lunch here on 20.04.13. I thought I would try the 3 courses for £8.95, I am so glad I did everything I had was simple but beautifully cooked and had a truly lovely flavour. I started with the deep fried camembert with salad, main course was bangers and mash and for dessert it was orange tart with orange cream, the chef's salad dressing was lovely and a good dressing in my opinion is what makes a good dish great. My partner and I have eaten all over the country and I have to say that this meal for value and taste cannot be beaten. The downside though was my partner wasn't hungry enough for 3 courses so decided to pick off the main menu so ordered breaded fish and chips. The large plate was put down in front of him and the fish looked lovely and was lovely however my partner doesn't like salad and he doesn't like coleslaw (and there was a big portion of both on the plate) so all he had for I believe it was £11, was fish and frozen chips which were on the hard side and I don't believe the best quality. This was disappointing since I had enjoyed my lunch so much, I think in future that we will both eat off of the £8.95 menu or we will order something which comes with potatoes. The decor could do with a bit of updating as could the toilets however we will most certainly go again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

One of the best dining experiences in East Fife. Punches above its weight; the food is superb and excellent value for money. A really good bet, every time. Great choices and locally sourced ingredients. Nice little bar adjacent to restaurant area for pre or post dinner refreshment. Booking advised, especially at weekends and holiday times of year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Walsall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My son decided he wanted us to eat here on his birthday. He had seem a sample menu and we had read some favourable reviews. We had just travelled over 300 miles to our holiday accommodation and this was nearby and therefore convenient for an evening meal.

I had a very pleasant pint of Belhaven, but unfortunately that turned out to be the highlight of the evening.

The restaurant felt tired and service was at best average. There were quite a few people in the restaurant and we were made to feel like we were an inconvenience.

The menu did not resemble the sample menu we had seen and my son was disappointed that the item he wanted to try was not available that evening. The food was of very poor quality, tasteless and bland. The vegetables were lukewarm and overcooked and just seemed to be the left-overs. It was not particularly cheap either.

Given that other reviews for lunch seem good, it may be that we were just unlucky that evening, but needless to say with that experience we did not return during the rest of our holiday. My advice would be to jump in the car and drive to St. Andrews where there is a large choice of restaurants and free parking after 5pm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just been for one of the 'price crunch' lunches today with my husband; £8.95 for three courses. The hotel was pretty busy, but we were accommodated in the bar area which was fine. Enjoyed some delicious lentil soup followed by roast beef. Dessert was strawberry Eton mess...yum! Staff were polite and attentive, and the meal itself excellent value for money. Would recommend, but would advise you book a table first!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I eat here regularly with my family & have never been disappointed with the food. The regular menu is good, they have interesting specials & the waiting staff are excellent.
Would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of lunch at this busy, conservatory styled restaurant today. We arrived and were quickly shown to one of the few empty tables....might be a good idea to book in advance. The waitress brought our menus and took our drinks order. The menu's were very extensive, and were separated into 3 groups, we opted for the price crunch lunch (3 courses for £8.95), but we also could have opted for the more expensive "chefs local specialities" or the a la carte.

We both chose pate to start, followed by beautifully crisp, battered haddock (east neuk) and ice cream or cheese and oatcakes to finish. All the food was very tasty, and the friendly service never waivered in this very busy establishment.

One point to note is that the restaurant can get very warm on sunny days, especially in the conservatory.

In total for 3 courses each and 3 drinks came to an unbelievable £28. Worth every penny for the lovely experience.

Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

After eating at the upper largo hotel on more than a few occasions during my visits to Fife, I eventually decided that I had to tell someone about it. From the excellent value price crunch lunch to the outstandingly delicious á la carte. Never have I been treated to such luxurious fancies. Wood pigeon, duck, venison, scallops, you name it. The serving staff are quick, easy to talk to and the food always arrives in a flash, steaming hot and bursting with flavour. I would highly recommend this extremely underrated restaurant to anyone who likes dining well and enjoying a good evening or lunch for an affordable price.

Stayed February 2013

Been to Upper Largo Hotel? Share your experiences!