“Worth the hike!” 5 of 5 stars

fareham
15 attraction reviews
“Worth the hike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Make the effort and find this amazing beach!
The road is steep and you"d need to be a reasonably confident driver but it's well kept.
Take drinks and road and wear trainers for the scramble down the rocky path. Truly felt like paradise!
Children would struggle getting up and down so probably not the place for them.

Visited June 2014

• Greek first
Derby, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I came across this beach while was doing holiday resarch before my Crete trip. And I am so happy that I managed to find it. The best beach on the island. You need to hike down about 200 metres a rocky path - flip flops definitely not recommended - but is is really worth it. This place is like a paradise. Very quiet, tiny and secluded place with amazing view on azure water The beach is rocky and at that day the waves were quite high so you need to be careful but still go there if you can.

Take some water and food because there is no facilities.

Visited September 2013
Oslo, Norway
12 attraction reviews
“Hidden secret place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

It is as other reviewers write, not a place for common traveler. You need to descent following at least 200 meters of rocks and doing so be extremely careful, but once down, this is a paradise beach like the one at Ko Phi Phi in Thailand. The place is separarted from any wind due to the mountain and the view is spectacular. The GPS location to this beach is 35.551424 , 24.192356

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful secret beach with clear emerald water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Seitan Limania is one of the best beaches in Crete. Not usual, not kids/elderly friendly but is worth taking a dangerous drive & hike to get down there. You may want to avoid visiting the other sandy beaches in Crete on a WINDY day; the sand hits you very hard on the wind which is pretty sore but it doesn't matter to this beach. You can see some fish under the clear emerald water too.

This place is a bit hidden as there is a gate on the way (you can open it) and has a rocky path down to the beach. I went down with my flipflops, but is definitely better off having a pair of trainers. Also there is no food stalls so take some snacks & drink with you.

Visited May 2014
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Great, but perhaps not for young children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This beach is known in English as "Satans Harbours".

This was our best day out of 14 in Crete.

I found this beach after looking on the cretanbeaches website which explains how to find it etc. The road is exciting but not dangerous at all, yes it is a switchback but it is tarmac and wide enough to pass another car, the views are awesome. We got lost on the way from stavros, our satnav took us through some dirt roads to a quarry! It is worth getting a local to advise you how to get there before you set off.

The only thing I would say is to think carefully about safety. There are two issues:
1) My son is 7 and he ran ahead on the track as we were descending to the beach. He got to the beach OK, but I was horrified to see that the last section of the descent is steep and difficult in places and he could very easily have fallen and either died or seriously broken his bones with one wrong step. I had nightmares about this later! I didn't expect it to be like that as the first half of the descent is not so treacherous. We lugged down several bags of picnic and beach gear, its not so hard and only 10mins walk but you need common-sense, decent grippy shoes and keep hold of childrens hands tightly!!! A backpack is advised to keep your hands free. There seems to be two paths down, we took the direct route past the shrine next to the car park, perhaps the other route that switches back is longer but safer?
2) Once on the beach we were alone. Later one guy turned up, he was quite a big guy and I started to worry a little about our safety if he decided to do something to my attractive wife or kids. I felt a bit uneasy as no-one can hear you scream in this very very remote and isolated location, and it is at least 20 mins to the tiny village nearby. (Actually I later realised he was gay as two other young guys turned up an hour later and they started massaging each other and frolicking about).

I may be a little over worried but at least be aware of these risks before heading out with your wife and kids. In August it is probably quite busy here so less of an issue.

Visited October 2013