“Like being at home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Kingseat B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Like being at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have never been to a hotel that is more like a home. Nothing is to much for the staff , they were all friendly . We stayed in the bar on new years eve and my sons girlfriend could not get over how everybody mixed and chatted to us. Jessie who got breakfast was fantastic and always asked what were were doing or what we had done. What made our holiday was the fact thet the couple who run the hotel let the young staff go and call home to wish the parents happy new year how many other people would do that. The hotel is being done up but that takes time ( as we all know )everything worked ok and the hotel was very very clean.We will go back in the summer the 500 mile drive is well worth it.

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were nice and quiet even though the were facing the main road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to the halfway house staff for our brilliant wedding last week!! If your planning a wedding or function I would recommend them :-) the staff went beyond being helpful and friendly doing what ever they could to accommodate us on our big day!! food was amazing as well!! Thank you so much couldn't have been any happier with your service :-)

• Stayed December 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had never been out for dinner on Christmas Day so I was all excited. We went with our friends who had been for a meal before & assured us it was ok. When we arrived there were 2 rooms set up for dinner. One looked lovely but of course we were shown into the other one. It was sparse with no festive cheer & my friend informed me that it was used for funerals & it showed. It was freezing with only a tiny fan heater. I really don't know where to start with the food. I must stress we are not fussy eaters & give credit where it's due but it was just terrible. 3 of us had turkey. I thought you can't go wrong with that but my husband summed it up when he said it was like boil in the bag turkey. He said he'd tasted better meals from Farmfoods. One of our party opted for the duck & he had to ask for a steak knife to cut it because it was so tough. I won't even go into the starters or desserts. We asked for a bottle of sparkling wine & were given a bottle of rose which we were assured was sparkling. It wasn't. We had 2 drinks each from the bar, plus the bottle of wine but when my husband asked for the bill it wasn't itemised so you had no idea what you were paying for. Not a good sign. This should be done as standard. We were asked if everything was ok & said yes because we didn't want to waste such a special occasion for our friends. I can honestly say it has mentally scarred me for life & I will never ever go out for Christmas Dinner again. An experience we will never forget. What should have been a special day, wasted. Overpriced low quality food. The whole place could do with a complete refurb. Toilets are from a different era.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Halfway_House_Hotel, Owner at Halfway House Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your review –we appreciate the views of our guests.

I’m a little taken back by your comments if I’m honest.

To say on the day there were no problems, didn’t allow us to rectify any problems and allow us to give you the service you deserved, as other guests received and enjoyed on Christmas Day.

(If you had brought these matters to our attention we could have made your dining experience better!)

Contrary to this, you seem all too happy to write with over dramatic anonymity regarding your visit here, rather than, as afore mentioned, bring problems with your dining experience to our attention so we can resolve the matters you raise.

Again, the matter of the wine, if you had brought that to our attention, we could have given you the wine you ordered, but alas you’re happy to mention it within this media where there is nothing I can do to remedy this.

I might add that all the food was prepared and cooked here by our experienced team of chefs and I’m sorry you didn’t find this to your taste or the standard that you AND I expect.

The room that you dined is our function suite and was decorated for Christmas. The tables were dressed and both our dining areas were given the same levels of service and attention throughout the day.

As for your comment regarding the condition of the hotel…

You’ll note that we have we’ve said on more than one occasion, we are well aware of the condition of the building left by the previous owners and are taking steps to redecorate and refurbish the hotel, which given it’s size will take time to complete.

Travelers are raving about these Kingseat hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for 2 nights over the new year and were more than happy with our stay.
We received a very warm welcome on arrival and were pleased with our room.
The room had everything we required for our stay, it was warm, clean and everything worked sufficiently.
The hotel is in a fab location, with lovely views and being very close to the motorway, restaurants, cinema, bowling etc and handy for Edinburgh by park and ride, train or car.
The bar was very cosy and again welcoming.
Breakfast was lovely, the lady serving was really nice and more than happy to cook you food to your requirements. We would definitely recommend this hotel and stay again ourselves!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Just had high tea at The Halfway House and it was delicious. Our party of 12 had been bowling for my son's birthday. I tried to book one of the eatieries at the leisure park but they were all full. I'm so glad we didn't go elsewhere. The staff were very welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. As it was my son's birthday I had taken along a cake for him. The staff were brilliant and I didn't have to lift a finger. Everyone commented on how good the food was. We were supplied with tea and toast refills when we wanted them and the cakes were to die for! Thank you very much to the waiters and waitresses who were very friendly, helpful and polite. We will definitely be back. High tea extremely good value at £10.99 per person.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
fife
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Having booked this place for our Christmas 'Do' we were horrified on arrival to be shown into a lounge bar which was very cold, the radiators were (barely) warm & they had a small fan heater pointing to our table! At one point the chef came into the bar wearing a fur trapper hat so there was a clue there. The table itself was devoid of any Christmas cheer, no crackers, candles or table centers (Ebeneezer himself would have been proud) Then the meal, three of us ordered the camembert wheel but when it arrived the Xmas fairy had sprinkled her magic dust onto it & turned it into pate!!! after telling them that the order was wrong they arrived with three tiny nuggets of deep fried camembert which was over cooked to say the least. We all went for the turkey with it being xmas (not that you would have noticed) & the veg was lukewarm & had to be returned. For dessert once again we all went for the Xmas pud but when it arrived one of our party announced 'Is it xmas pudding or black pudding?' thas how burnt it was. We asked to see the owner who was very nice & apologetic & removed the cost of the drinks from the bill but by that time the damage had been done & our annual Xmas 'Do' was a disaster so well done 'The Halfway house' for spoiling what is usualy a fab night out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Halfway_House_Hotel, Owner at Halfway House Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Madam

Thank you for your review.

As mentioned to you when you dined here, we were not aware that this was a ‘works do’.

The booking was taken and we were told that the guests would be ordering from the festive menu that we now have on offer.

If you had booked and given us the information that this was to be a ‘works do’ alternative arrangements would have been made for you and your guests to meet the standard we set for the other ‘works do’ that we have had and are having here.

Regarding the chef wearing a hat.

Having investigated the matter, the member of staff to which your refer was on a break and getting refreshments from the bar.

I can assure you, that, that type of head wear is not permitted in the kitchen whilst the chefs are cooking, as has no impact with regards to hygiene and food preparation.

As for your food order, my wife explained at the time, the nature of the fault and the new members of staff and what we implemented to correct the mistake.

On your departure your party were asked if everything was ok, to which the other members of your party stated the food was in fact lovely, so I am a little shocked to read otherwise in your review but thank you fall the same.

As you state, your entire drinks bill for the evening was removed from your bill on the night.
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

There are some good reviews of this hotel but I would not trust them. The place is worn out. A start would be to remove all the wood chip wall paper and bring the hotel into the 2000's. The staff were friendly sorry but I won't be staying here again.

I eat there for lunch and supper and the food was OK. The lunch was better than the supper. What is it with hotels that they serve food warm but not piping hot? It is even worse when one item is piping hot and it makes the warm item less inviting.

The bar area was chilly and the only additional heat was a small blow heater which they moved to a function room for a wedding that was on.

As you walked up the stairs to the rooms it was freezing with no heating turn on. The heating in the room as OK just. I walked into my room and someone had previous used the toilet and it had not been flushed. Surely this is part of the basics for preparing a room.

A good job I had not needed an early night as the disco to the wedding went on way past the normal bedtime for someone having to work the next day, having said that it did stop at midnight.

The bed was lumpy. I lay on my bed reading till late only to find when I did go to bed that there was a damp patch on the bed. My only option as it was so late was to use towels as additional sheets so I didn't have to lie in the damp patch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we value all the comments our guests have to make.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to clarity a few points you make.

As we’ve stated in our previous comments, we are well aware of the condition of the building and having only taking over in March 2012, our redecoration and refurbishment program will take a couple of years to complete, especially considering the size of the hotel.

The wallpaper to which you refer is fine, it’s just in need of painting, again, see my comments above.

The food served here is always hot.

For food hygiene purposes the food is probed to ensure the food is served at a set temperature as per food hygiene regulations.

Being from Scotland yourself, you must surely be aware of the extremely low temperatures we have been experiencing.

Our heating system is currently running at maximum, whilst there is little I can do to alter the outside temperature, all I can control is our heating system and where this falls short (as is sometimes does when the weather is extreme) we provide additional heating to ensure our guests are comfortable.

You had previously brought to my wife’s attention the matter regarding the toilet and the waste system here at the hotel, so I don’t see a need to have mentioned that here although given the suggestion you made to my wife during your conversation with her, your suggestion of notifying future guests to this matter is one that we will take on board and implement immediately.

On arrival you were made fully aware that we had a function on that evening and you were given the opportunity to leave and find alternative accommodation.

This you stated was fine and proceeded to check in.

As for the damp patch, the room was inspected and the roof was found not to be leaking and was at a loss to explain the damp patch you mention.

However, having spoken with staff, the staining on your bedding suggests the coke that you had in your room (given the rubbish you left behind) may have been spilt during your stay.

Staff were available that evening through till about 2:30am, so addition clean bedding would have been made available to you.

During check out, you were asked if everything was ok during your stay, to which you only brought to our attention the plumbing and the bedding.

A full refund of your food and drink bill was given to you at check out.

Been to Halfway House Hotel? Share your experiences!