“An experience” 3 of 5 stars

Teahupoo | Taravao, Teahupoo 98719, French Polynesia   |
Edmonton, Canada
“An experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Vanira Lodge was something very different from any normal hotel or lodge. If you a 4 or 5 star traveller, this place is not for you! The location of the lodge is amazing! Set high on a hill side with amazing views of the sea! We awoke to breath-taking sunrises over the ocean every morning. (Had no choice but to wake up, the chickens 'cock-a-doole-doo' had you awake bright and early.... which got annoying really fast). We were in the Lichee lodge, with 5 adults. (family)
We called it the 'swiss family robinson' lodge. Definately open air! And when you are in the middle of a jungle... open air means LOTS of BUGS!!! If you are queemish of centipedes and spiders the size of your hand, don't go! We watched a gecko eat such spider. Rather entertaining, but still, shouldn't happen in your accomodation. At night, you sleep to the sound of gecko's EVERYWHERE! The reviews about it being dirty are very true. It was disguisting! I would highly recommend bringing your own bedding, cause you feel gross in slipping into what they provide.
Pool was filled with centipedes, you were lucky if it was cleaned out, so you could enjoy the pool... Only one day it wasn't... big disappointment. But on the other hand, whole pool is to yourself, as not alot of people stay here it seems.
If you are looking for a place to crash, and love outdoors, this is an experience.
Glad we went! Won't go back... But glad we experienced it. I would not go longer than a weekend...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

It was my second time in this beautiful and calm place There is nothing around except nature so perfect place to rest and enjoy quiet Must have a car

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here at the start of our honeymoon. I think if you want big luxury hotels you might as well pop out to one of the more suited islands, like Mo’orea which is just a hop away. For Tahiti, we thought somewhere like Vanira lodge (which had been highly recommended in a guidebook) would be ideal.

It is very isolated – you absolutely need a car to stay here, if for no other reason than the extremely steep hill up to the grounds. The climb is rewarded with beautiful views over the coast however, and the grounds themselves are lush and immaculately kept. Our bungalow was the biggest one with a mezzanine bed area and was quite stunning.

There is a definite lack of places to eat or do anything in the area. (hence the need for a car, although even with it is quite a drive to reach anywhere with anything other than a small eatery and beach). The mosquitos also caused me a lot of bother, but I may be more susceptible to this than others. My wife was luckier although did not escape unharmed.

For a few days of relaxation and doing nothing, however, I certainly recommend this place.

Room Tip: The biggest room with the mezzanine is beautiful and is also one of the highest with the best views.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The list of good things about Viana lodge are short
Fantastic, beautiful property and view

The bad list is endless
It is so dirty, there is mould growing on everything, chicken poo all over your outside deck, and the kitchen is filthy. Check out my photo of the blankets provided.
The service is terrible.
Our Electricity went out and had to go searching for answers, they said 2 hours but ended up being 5. I was Unable to cook our breakfast or lunch and I was paying more for a room with a kitchen. No apologies, no coming to mop our big puddle under defrosted fridge, no enquries about our the food in our fridge.
I also Asked for a bungalow that closes up so no mice, bugs, geckos etc but roof is not closed in and there are big gab under door for mice.

The Owner karine is nice but keeps herself and house separate and she is only available 8-10am this would be ok if the lady left to help spoke any English. In a tourist destination that would really help so you have no way of asking for help or enquries during the day. When you do go to her office be prepared for the two barking dogs that coming running strait at you. Very scary and I refused to walk there without my husband beside me.
Lunch is supposed to be available during certain hours in the gazebo but I sat there for 2 hours waiting one day and never saw a soul. I ate breakfast there the first morning, it wasn't very nice and after I saw how dirty the kitchen was I wouldn't eat there again anyway.
All the places to eat are a good 20 mins walk away and we went out for dinner one night and had to walk back up the long drive way and hill in the pitch black. The property does not have any lighting to light the way.
Our bungalow was near a pond that had a terribly Noisy pump and was sucking dry water. You couldn't hear anything else all day and night. Since the owner never comes up to the bungalows she wouldnt notice and eventually My husband went and played around with it and got it fixed himself.

This property and accommodation could be something really special if the owner took more interest in it and her workers. Until that time I would not recommend staying there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Palmerston North, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Vanira lodge was in a beautiful area and the bungalows were exactly like the pictures. We were lucky enough to have almost perfect weather our whole trip, though it does seem to rain much more down in Tahiti-iti.

The downside to this place is that the owners are almost non-existent. We would have liked some tips on what to do in the area (e.g. we would have loved a horse trek) but were forced to walk up and down the road until we found a shop or something to do because we could not find the owners anywhere around the lodge. We had no idea if they even knew we were there which was slightly disconcerting. The office hours are 8 a.m. - 10 a.m which seemed rather lazy to us.

However, the groundskeeper, Amelliano was one of the friendliest people we met on our entire stay in Tahiti. He gave us coconut and fruit and will give you a ride to the shop if you need one. He was also able to help us with a boat ride to our next destination (Pension Bonjouir) and his presence made the whole stay much more pleasant.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

All bungalows have an incridible natural architecture, surrounded by beatiful graden and ocean view!!!!
Is the perfect place to stay with friends, family or couple.
Have a nice trip......
Greetings....mariano.-

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Simply the most beatyefull place I know. All the times I travel to the French Polinesia, I stay on Tahiti Island for a week just because of the beautyness of Vanira Lodge. Tahiti is a very nice Island, specialli Tahiti Iti and even more because of Teahupoo, preciselly where Vanira Lodge is located: up a hill, between a gorgeous vegetation, with the most incredible view, with incredible sunsets and with the exclusive taste of its chambers ecologically builded.... the truth is that there is no words for me to describe this place. I have been all arround the world, and this is my favorite spot, with all the simplicity I want, with all the kindness of they owners and with it´s blessed landscape. I would be very glad to share my experience and sugestions to everyone, so contact me.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Vanira Lodge? Share your experiences!